Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Are you saying the medical data teams received from the evaluation on 4/2 wasn't enough for an NFL team to pass or fail him?

Tua Tagovailoa had follow-up medical exam today 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/02/tua-tagovailoa-had-follow-up-medical-exam-today/

"Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa can’t visit NFL teams because of social distancing procedures, but he did have a physical exam today that NFL teams will be able to scrutinize."

"According to NFL Media, Tagovailoa had a medical re-check similar to what players usually get if there are any questions remaining after their physical at the NFL Scouting Combine."

"The doctor who conducted the physical was selected by NFL team physicians, according to the report."

It is obvious that there are teams for whom Tua is not a target, either over concern about his hip injury or just plain not being in the market for a first round level QB.  It is equally obvious that he hasn't failed two teams' physicals as per the claim.  There is also obviously as close to zero sports news to report as we have seen in our lifetimes and we are going to be seeing such click-bait articles being floated under the guise of 'news."  You, of course, are free to believe whatever you wish.

Peter King believes it's 'pretty likely' Kyle Allen starts for Redskins due to Coronavirus 

I can see that.  Since the Skins can't have OTAs and in likelyhood, it will be just be a short training camp with probably no preseason; Allen has the edge.  He's familiar with Turner; so he's probably going to be the opening day starter.

Now, as we saw last year with the Panthers; teams figured him out and he got benched.   So, Dwayne will probably eventually start.  How will Dwayne handle it, if he ends up not being the opening day starter?  Will he be able to pick up Turner's system and then come in; when he probably will be, at some point?

Talked about bad luck. Dwayne may end up being the most unlucky QB since poor Josh Rosen.  

9 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

It is obvious that there are teams for whom Tua is not a target, either over concern about his hip injury or just plain not being in the market for a first round level QB.  It is equally obvious that he hasn't failed two teams' physicals as per the claim.  There is also obviously as close to zero sports news to report as we have seen in our lifetimes and we are going to be seeing such click-bait articles being floated under the guise of 'news."  You, of course, are free to believe whatever you wish.

Why is it unrealistic that there are two teams who wouldn't draft Tua due to medical concerns? Some teams just have different standards/risk tolerance in that regard. It doesn't really matter if they'd be in a position to draft him anyways, if their process is consistent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Why is it unrealistic that there are two teams who wouldn't draft Tua due to medical concerns? Some teams just have different standards/risk tolerance in that regard. It doesn't really matter if they'd be in a position to draft him anyways, if their process is consistent.

I said no such thing.  As I just said in the very post that you just quoted, there are almost sure to be teams that are not targeting Tua over concerns about his hip injury.  It is certain, however, that those teams have not given him a physical, much less failed him.  The report was quite clearly false.

17 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Peter King believes it's 'pretty likely' Kyle Allen starts for Redskins due to Coronavirus 

I can see that.  Since the Skins can't have OTAs and in likelyhood, it will be just be a short training camp with probably no preseason; Allen has the edge.  He's familiar with Turner; so he's probably going to be the opening day starter.

Now, as we saw last year with the Panthers; teams figured him out and he got benched.   So, Dwayne will probably eventually start.  How will Dwayne handle it, if he ends up not being the opening day starter?  Will he be able to pick up Turner's system and then come in; when he probably will be, at some point?

Talked about bad luck. Dwayne may end up being the most unlucky QB since poor Josh Rosen.  

I'm not quite so sure. I don't think Rivera is trying to win now as evidenced by our organizations free agency approach. Kyle certainly has the advantage in terms of the playbook and running the offense. Kyle also has the disadvantage of being a cheap backup under financial control for the next several years. If we are positioning ourselves for a 2-3 year rebuild then the more expensive and naturally talented 1st round draft pick will get the edge if things are close or even 40/60 going into the season. You have to see what you have with Haskins since he is more talented and more expensive albeit raw. There is also less risk starting Haskins initially and having Kyle come in later in the season as opposed to vice versa.  

18 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I said no such thing.  As I just said in the very post that you just quoted, there are almost sure to be teams that are not targeting Tua over concerns about his hip injury.  It is certain, however, that those teams have not given him a physical, much less failed him.  The report was quite clearly false.

No way to know that, right? Some physicals snuck in before the league doctors banned non-virus related examinations. And I think that Tua had already sent this medical info to teams, so who knows.

1 hour ago, Number 44 said:

You, of course, are free to believe whatever you wish.

Well thank you and keep in mind I only posted a Tweet and asked a question, never once did I give you my opinion.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I don't really believe it.  

Rivera, most likely, doesn't get this job unless he had a plan for Haskins.  Haskins has to step up and learn the playbook.  It's not an ideal situation for him...new coach, weird offseason, probably won't have the time to gel with his new coaches and new teammates.  But that's the hand he's been dealt and he's gotta roll with it.  Preparation, practice, knowing the gameplan...it can't always be picture perfect because in a game it's rarely ever picture perfect.  

Bad luck?  Eh, sure.  I hope Haskns doesn't see it that way, I hope he's not sitting around feeling sorry for himself.  I hope he's making the best out of a ****ty situation because that's what you gotta do as a leader. 

If Kyle Allen starts, I get it.  But I don't think he should simply because he's more familiar with things.  I want to see the guy who's got the weight of the franchise on his shoulders no matter if the other guy knows the playbook and the system better.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Number 44 said:

The report was about a medical exam conducted for teams by an independent physician, since they can't have Tua on site due to the pandemic. It doesn't say that the teams' doctors did the exams. 

I was re-watching some games from last season, and the commentators kept mentioning the fact that it was the first time since 1999, and the second time since 1970, that a rookie QB was starting with 3 rookie receivers.

I think we as fans sometimes forget how rare/insane that is.

• Like 5
16 hours ago, mistertim said:

The report was about a medical exam conducted for teams by an independent physician, since they can't have Tua on site due to the pandemic. It doesn't say that the teams' doctors did the exams. 

No.

You are looking at a different post posted later in the conversation that is quite irrelevant to what I was saying.  The post I was responding to said clearly Lombardi claimed that Tua had failed two teams physicals.  Read the entire conversation.

"NFL Draft: Tua Tagovailoa fails two teams’ physicals, ex-GM Lombardi says"

Some of you seem to be of a mind that I am advocating drafting Tua.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  I want the Redskins to draft Chase Young unless he is drafted #1, in which case I would want to trade down, rather than drafting Burrow or Tua.

I simply stated that Lombardi's claim that two teams had given Tua a physical and that he had failed them was a bunch of malarkey.  Irresponsible "reporting" for click bait.  Are there teams that are out on Tua?  Of course.  Have been for months.  Nothing new about that.  But he has not failed two teams' physical examinations.  To try to make it seem that two teams that were strongly considering drafting Tua have just now changed their minds based on new physical exams is quite clearly misleading.

2 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

No.

You are looking at a different post posted later in the conversation that is quite irrelevant to what I was saying.  The post I was responding to said clearly Lombardi claimed that Tua had failed two teams physicals.  Read the entire conversation.

"NFL Draft: Tua Tagovailoa fails two teams’ physicals, ex-GM Lombardi says"

Some of you seem to be of a mind that I am advocating drafting Tua.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  I want the Redskins to draft Chase Young unless he is drafted #1, in which case I would want to trade down, rather than drafting Burrow or Tua.

I simply stated that Lombardi's claim that two teams had given Tua a physical and that he had failed them was a bunch of malarkey.  Irresponsible "reporting" for click bait.  Are there teams that are out on Tua?  Of course.  Have been for months.  Nothing new about that.  But he has not failed two teams' physical examinations.  To try to make it seem that two teams that were strongly considering drafting Tua have just now changed their minds based on new physical exams is quite clearly misleading.

Oh good lord. The only way teams can do any sort of "physicals" right now is remotely by having a third party doctor do it, which is what happened. The team doctors didn't do the physicals but they assessed the results of the independent physician. I can't believe we're even arguing about such a nonsensical semantic issue. 

None of it matters anyway. As you said, we aren't drafting Tua. So we're just squabbling about minor wording details. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Oh good lord. The only way teams can do any sort of "physicals" right now is remotely by having a third party doctor do it, which is what happened. The team doctors didn't do the physicals but they assessed the results of the independent physician. I can't believe we're even arguing about such a nonsensical semantic issue. 

None of it matters anyway. As you said, we aren't drafting Tua. So we're just squabbling about minor wording details. 

Exactly.

Lombardi went on Grant and Danny today to discuss the article he wrote.  It's a good listen and he has some interesting info I haven't heard like the fact more teams have Herbert ranked higher than Tua based on the feedback he's getting from his contacts in various FO's around the league.

He has some interesting takes on Haskins too.

https://omny.fm/shows/grant-and-danny/4-10-20-hour-4-michael-lombardi-movie-club

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1

Tua might be one of the toughest evaluations in recent memory as for drafts.  He by a mile was the most hyped QB going into the last two college seasons.  The injury obviously is a game changer.  The fact that he can't do pro day visits likely a game changer, too. 

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

If Tua tumbles, and he might... 

Someone is going to get a steal... if he stays healthy... Which is constantly the question with the guy. 

Those concerns seem to make him an even better option for Miami, especially if he just drops to them at #5. With their multiple picks in rounds 1 and 2 over the next couple of drafts, Tua flunking out clearly wouldn’t be great, but for them it wouldn’t be a totally debilitating draft move. 

17 hours ago, KDawg said:

If Tua tumbles, and he might... 

Someone is going to get a steal... if he stays healthy... Which is constantly the question with the guy. 

Only if he’s healthy. He’s brittle. He’s going to be facing bigger players than in college. Personally, I think he will have a short career and will be out of the league in 5 - 6 years.

Whoever drafts him, better draft a backup with similar skills. That backup will probably be seeing a lot of playing time.

54 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Only if he’s healthy. He’s brittle. He’s going to be facing bigger players than in college. Personally, I think he will have a short career and will be out of the league in 5 - 6 years.

Whoever drafts him, better draft a backup with similar skills. That backup will probably be seeing a lot of playing time.

Similar skills in his backup? That's usually something people only feel the need to specify with a running QB that needs a scheme built around him to produce. Not a comment I'd expect with a guy like Tua.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

That would be ideal, get the rookie contract and move on. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Similar skills in his backup? That's usually something people only feel the need to specify with a running QB that needs a scheme built around him to produce. Not a comment I'd expect with a guy like Tua.

Yeah I’m not sure what skills he was referencing... Maybe being a lefty? Tua is mobile but he can play from the pocket like an old school QB. He can also move quite well. 

He’s got a fairly standard set of skills for a modern QB, he’s just better at them than most other quarterbacks. 

He definitely doesn’t have a rocket arm, but his accuracy is pinpoint. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Mahomes is Ja Morant, Tua is Steph Curry. Stylistically.

Haskins is Khalid El-Amin. Bootily. 

This ranks right up there with McD5 or whatever his name was projecting Greg McElroy as the next Tom Brady before his draft as one of the most non sensical posts in the history of this forum.

On 4/9/2020 at 6:03 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

I'd add one thing to this....chances are that Allen should be much better in year 2 given the experience he got in Carolina and another year to learn the offense. I would encourage anyone who hasn't seen footage of Allen to go watch some. He has skills and plays with confidence....he also seems like a motivated learner who has great upside. Just going on what I've seen. I was concerned about our backup QB situation but I'm not anymore, full confidence in Allen to come in here and compete. 

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic