Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Case is getting reps? That tells me he is starting. Fire'em up in DFS .01 ownership pays.

Callahan refusing to play Haskins is an indictment more on how bad he is, than Haskins is.

It was easy to see why Jay didn't start him, but Callahan has no excuse. Especially if its coming at the heels of him feeling he should play a guy fresh off a concussion in a LOSER season for the record books.

Word of caution for Haskins likely poor performance against the Bills.  The Bills pass defense is really good.  DVOA has them as 6th best pass defense in the league, just ahead of Jacksonville, Green Bay, and Chicago.

Also on Alex Smith playing in 2020.  You guys see his Halloween Costume photo?  Love his humor and spirit, but that leg looks different.  It does not look like a leg that can play sports.

I just read that Nagy said that Trubinsky was still learning the offense.

I am sure someone will proclaim "that's because he sucks!!!!1!"  but point being offenses schemes and terminology can be very confusing on a young QB if the coach wants it to be.  It he wants it more simplified, he can do that too.

All those tweets talking about his preparation are good, but they all kinda imply he was on auto-pilot when he knew he wasnt gonna start.  

But regardless, if he's got himself together, better late than never.  Let's see what he can do.  Tough defense though.

I'm not a fan of Dwayne starting only because it seems like he'd be sitting if Keenum would have passed the concussion protocol. 

• Jay, for all his failures, was good with the QB position - He didn't want to start him. 
  • Haskens, for all his talent, has not looked good.
  • This defense is good. He's cutting his teeth in a tough spot. 
31 minutes ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

Finally! Something to look forward to in this game atleast. I know he’ll struggle, Bill pass defense is legit but just show me something. Don’t throw 3 picks and look lost. Look like you belong out there. Can’t wait to see him Sunday. I’m excited.

Even if he does completely poop his pants on the field, we'll get to see how he bounces back. 

At the end of the day we are still the Redskins. He will see a lot of adversity in his career here. For him I guess this matchup will be a decent primer for what's to come. 

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I wonder if the order came from above to get everyone to stop talking about the Trent fiasco.

It's sad, but with this ownership / front office, you can't dismiss that idea.

Ugh.... this has the ring of truth to it, In any case, I want to see Haskins play and I hope they have put together a small package of plays that he can execute and he has some success.

23 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

It was absolutely 10 games of luck with the Skins.  Let's take a stroll back to 2014, when the Chiefs were 6-3...and then promptly went 3-4 to finish the season.  Or 2017, when they started 6-3...and then went 3-3 to finish the season (with Smith as the QB).  Now you could point to 2013 or 2016 where they had double digit winning seasons...to be promptly eliminated from the playoffs due in large part to the quarterback on their roster.  I mean they did beat the Texans that one year in the playoffs (with Brian Hoyer...yay?), but there was a reason why Chiefs fans were not sad to see him go.  

Knowing all of this, and knowing that it is indisputable that the Chiefs from 2013-2017 was a MUCH better team than the 2018 Redskins...I fail to see how this magical formula of meh play from the quarterback would transform a terrible team to contender.  The wheels were coming off fast in that Texans game before the injury.  This was an 8-8 team with Smith remaining healthy...which would have probably been the same record had McCoy not gotten hurt too.  

Remember, I’m arguing him as being above average (sometimes average in games)— a guy coaches and teammates can trust to manage a game at a professional level in 80 plus percent of the time (A random number chosen by me to support that Smith will in a large portion of games have team in position to win or have a chance in the 4th).

**A few items about chaos theory from a book I refer to from time to time (Book: Game Changer- The art of sports science)

Foreword by Jim Harbaugh... hmmmm

The whole point of chaos theory is that the fate of the system is determined by small factors that become magnified over time. These factors are too numerous to pin and too small to fully comprehend, meaning that the system we see in sports in unpredictable. 

The importance of understanding the basic principles of fractals, chaos, and chaos theory is that although sport is chaotic and appears random, it is possible—using certain approaches—to create a model to understand and MANAGE it. 

This is me delving into the mental makeup and overall approach of Alex Smith and full disclosure, I don’t know the dude lol I’m going a little off the rails with this, but maybe it can shed some light on my perspective as it relates to Alex Smith and QBs in general.

I believe Alex puts supreme value in managing the fractals of the game maniacally. “A fractal is a figure in which close-up detail resembles the figure as a whole. For instance, if you look closely at a tree branch, you’ll see that it resembles almost exactly the tree itself”. He’s making decisions consistently while attempting to manage the value of the play individually and impact on the whole, depending on the system operating on that said play, quarter, score, flow of game, etc.. 

Alex Smith plays a significant role in managing the chaos of the game where as I believe other average to above QBs are more dependent on others helping to manage a game and their success is dependent more on others. 

Would love to hear from others and call me out on this line of thinking or agree on some levels. 

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The whole point of chaos theory is that the fate of the system is determined by small factors that become magnified over time. These factors are too numerous to pin and too small to fully comprehend, meaning that the system we see in sports in unpredictable. 

The importance of understanding the basic principles of fractals, chaos, and chaos theory is that although sport is chaotic and appears random, it is possible—using certain approaches—to create a model to understand and MANAGE it.

malcolm.jpg

23 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Sonny9TD What I’ll concede is that you are extremely presumptuous. We can talk again after he starts at minimum 16 games and we can reassess.  Otherwise to call him a bust today is just plain silly. Look how fast things changed for the good and the bad with Baker, Trubisky, Daniel Jones, Goff, Minshew, Prescott, and a whole host of others who are still figuring out who they are.

It has not looked good at all. But let’s see how it looks after a while behind the wheel.

I know it's hard. I understand. Maybe he plays unless Callahan would rather have Keenum with his bell still rung to start instead. Haskins must be impressing the coaches with his knack for learning defenses Haskins bragged about. Watch out is that Moreland with another pick 6 in practice? Yea or maybe he was instructed not to intercept his passes anymore to build Haskins confidence. I'm just hoping this team has enough sense to draft the right QB in next years draft. Maybe we get a Left Tackle in round 3. Geez  

1 minute ago, abdcskins said:

Really really really hope Haskins plays well.  Been waiting to see something from him.  Anything.

This.  It's really pretty sad that we're all hoping for just some glimmer of hope, some flash of ability to play at this level.  We're just desperate for anything to glom onto to give us some hope of a brighter future.  Because if that's not the case, we're in even deeper trouble than we thought.  

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

At least if he plays terribly we can put aside the whole "he wasn't sufficiently prepared" narrative. 

God luck to the kid on Sunday. Bills have a solid defense. 

I'm expecting them to give him lots of exotics looks just to know if he digged into the playbook or not.

If he didn't it might get ugly quick.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Alex Smith plays a significant role in managing the chaos of the game where as I believe other average to above QBs are more dependent on others helping to manage a game and their success is dependent more on others. 

In addition to coaching football another hobby of mine is military history.  I'm tracking with what you're thinking but I'll veer off a bit.

I like to compare my QB's to military commanders.  There are several styles and many ways to get the job done.  But since you bring up Alex Smith that's a good place to start. 

I'd compare Alex Smith to the cautious, conservative Monty in WWII.  Everything had to be just right to go into battle; Eisenhower almost fired him because he took so long to break out of Normandy.  Supply lines, intel, logistics, etc. were all carefully planned and everything had to be perfect. (Perfect is the enemy of good enough)  While he was successful he was also predictable and easier to counter.  

Now Mahomes is more like Patton.  Bold, decisive, and a risk taker.  Still a strategic thinker but willing to take chances.  They're not just strategists (planning before the battle) but both are also savvy tacticians - able to adjust their plan to counter what the enemy is doing.  (No battle plan survives the first shot) It's more difficult to game plan against an opponent who can think outside the box. 

You only have a certain amount of time to prepare for a game/battle and you cannot account for every possibility.  You have to play the percentages and hope that even if your opponent does the unexpected they won't be effective enough to cause you great harm.  An opponent who can succeed at the unexpected will wreck any good plan.

Both types can be successful but against a formidable enemy I'd take the Patton type.  An unpredictable QB like Mahomes has a better chance of beating a coach like Belichick because he's comfortable doing the unexpected.  Whereas, an Alex Smith type will play it safe and go with the decision that has a lower percentage of failure.  LIke a check-down for 4 yards that may set up a field goal where taking a risk down the field might end up in a TD.

Regardless, whatever you are as a leader that's who you should be.  Monty got sick of everyone talking about how conservative he was so he got too far over his skis in Operation Market Garden - "A bridge too far."  For DH, he doesn't have to be like anyone else.  Just be the best possible DH that he can be.  Maximize the positives and minimize the negatives.  

"We've seen him progress throughout the week," Callahan said. "That's the big thing. His improvement day to day from situation to situation, from drill to drill you see nothing but a locked-in focus. He had a pretty good early start of the week and finalized today with a lot of red zone work. We're very encouraged."

Even when Haskins wasn't the starter this season, the Redskins always had a package of plays ready for him just in case. That's what they used when he entered a Week 4 loss to the Giants as well as last week's loss to the Minnesota Vikings.

That led to leaked stories about various aspects of his readiness, including how well he knew the plays.

"I wouldn't say he didn't know the plays," said Redskins receiver Terry McLaurin, who played with Haskins at Ohio State. "It's different hearing it in the ear piece and then calling it because there's so many things going on. That comes with reps; that comes with the visualization; it comes with preparation.

"His reads have been really clean this week. He knows what he's looking at. If it's one-high, two-high [safeties], he knows which side he's working the route combination. He's been really clear the way he's calling the plays."

McLaurin called Haskins "very businesslike, very serious" this week.

"He's been working on his command in the huddle," McLaurin said. "I feel that is very important because that permeates throughout the whole offense, gives the line confidence, gives everybody confidence that you know the call, you know what you're looking at and you can go out and execute. That's very big for him. I feel I've seen that jump, the biggest jump since he's been playing this year."

McLaurin, a captain and leader at Ohio State, worked with Haskins throughout the summer on calling plays. But he's also working on Haskins' mentality.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27983150/rookie-qb-dwayne-haskins-make-first-start-redskins

Archived