Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I am actually all in for Urban Meyer. Otherwise we will get a Jim Zorn scrub. Plus if Urban dumps Haskins no one will bat an eye. It’s probably the best case scenario for the coaching search. If by some miracle Urban gets Haskins to perform at an NFL level, he should be inducted into Canton immediately as the greatest coach of all time. 

1) Uncle Kevin

2) Joe Gibbs

3) General Neyland

4) up for grabs

On 10/29/2019 at 2:36 PM, volsmet said:

Haskins has the plays on his wrist, I imagine.

Yeah he does. I was trying to lip read as he was reading off what seemed like 15 words in the huddle last time he played.

I imagine his head may be spinning by the time he finishes calling it out, trots up under center, and wondering what the **** did I just say again?

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Yeah he does. I was trying to lip read as he was reading off what seemed like 15 words in the huddle last time he played.

I imagine his head may be spinning by the time he finishes call it out, trots up under center, and wondering what the **** did I just say again?

They said before the draft this in particular would be his struggle. And I imagine this more than anything is why Gruden didnt want him. But I also think they drafted him for the future, not this season, knowing Gruden was probably done. 

But that also assumes this FO has a plan......which we know is either a horrible one or a dream that they have one in the first place. 

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

They said before the draft this in particular would be his struggle. And I imagine this more than anything is why Gruden didnt want him. But I also think they drafted him for the future, not this season, knowing Gruden was probably done.

But that also assumes this FO has a plan......which we know is either a horrible one or a dream that they have one in the first place. 

This (the bolded)...

This in a nutshell...

Is why this franchise has been awful. You don't draft a project QB with the intent on changing coaches and making the next coach take on said project QB. You don't. If it was a guy like Manning or Luck? Yeah. Maybe. Don't love it, but passing on a generational talent is stupid. Haskins is not that. And no one that I know of ever considered him generational. 

The obvious point to be made is: "Well, they didn't think they'd have to fire Gruden". Poppy****. Gruden knew if he didn't make the playoffs he'd get canned. And a lot of people here weren't real bullish on their chances to make the playoffs. So Gruden was very likely a goner. So if the FO thought this team, built of injury prone players, was playoff bound and could continue to be playoff bound on a consistent basis from year to year based on this roster construction and Gruden would stay here another 3-5 years that's an even bigger problem.

Now, I was okay with the Haskins pick because I had no idea how far behind the 8-ball he was with the language/his speed picking things up. I thought he was a project, but was a guy who would get enough down to be able to play a little this season and at least look the part. I had no idea where he was at mentally. I did know his mechanics were borked. But a smart player can cover for that while he develops. But his mental side of the game should have been picked up by the FO.

It's really just a sad situation. All around. And it sucks for Haskins, sucks for the fans of the team, sucks for the guys on the team, sucks for Callahan who has to answer questions despite the fact he's not long for the job. It just sucks.

I just watched the D. Hall clip, he didn't say Haskins is a bust.  He's saying the same as I have among others.  Give the dude a week of practice and let him play in that context. 

He's a rookie QB he will have ups and downs.   Daniel Jones has veered from looking like a pro bowl QB to garbage depending on the week.  Give the dude a chance to play out his own script.

Maybe he will be a bust.  You got me one way or another.  Based on what I've seen myself in practice in camp (which I talked about in detail back then), I could see a boom-bust prospect in my eyes.  But you got to IMO play out the script and see.

If we are going to rip ANY rookie QB here ever as a bust based on less than one game played -- then if anything it adds to the dysfunctional narrative we already got cooking.  And I'd feel that way about 5th round QB let alone a dude picked in the top 15. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This (the bolded)...

This in a nutshell...

It's really just a sad situation. All around. And it sucks for Haskins, sucks for the fans of the team, sucks for the guys on the team, sucks for Callahan who has to answer questions despite the fact he's not long for the job. It just sucks.

Yea this whole thing is ****ed big time. There is no way to call it otherwise. I can hope for the best in spite of the plan.....and I do. But This is why when we drafted him I was like "meh". Cause I knew regardless of how I feel about the player, hes coming to the Redskins and we will **** it up. 

Its also why I was trying to stick up for Gruden even though I didn't really like alot of his decisions. Haskins only hope was consistency with a good teacher. And I do think Gruden is more a teacher than a principal -- which is how I equate his coaching. Im not sure if that makes sense. Basically that he can teach you how to do something, but hes not a good leader. 

Either way, its all ****ed now. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's a rookie QB he will have ups and downs.   Daniel Jones has veered from looking like a pro bowl QB to garbage depending on the week.  Give the dude a chance to play out his own script.

Eh. I haven't seen Daniel Jones look like a Pro Bowl QB. Except for last week all of his starts have been mired in turnovers. He just puts up big numbers so it looks better than Haskins appearances where he puts up basically no numbers and has an astronomical turnover rate.

But your bottom line is correct. Give it a little time. For both.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This (the bolded)...

This in a nutshell...

Is why this franchise has been awful. You don't draft a project QB with the intent on changing coaches and making the next coach take on said project QB. You don't. If it was a guy like Manning or Luck? Yeah. Maybe. Don't love it, but passing on a generational talent is stupid. Haskins is not that. And no one that I know of ever considered him generational. 

..It's really just a sad situation. All around. And it sucks for Haskins, sucks for the fans of the team, sucks for the guys on the team, sucks for Callahan who has to answer questions despite the fact he's not long for the job. It just sucks.

I'd add there isn't one person who covers this team (even Keim) or works nationally who hasn't said Dan-Bruce went against the others in the FO (not just Jay on the decision).  And as Louis Reddick (who is Haskins biggest cheerleader) says Haskins is well aware of it.    Talk about starting your career with cognitive dissonance to think there is a faction at Redskins Park who has doubts about you.    Even here we got tension about this being Dan's guy or whatever.  It's part of the reason why the owner needs to stay out of personnel decisions -- especially this owner who has a history of doing it and it not ending well.    It brings automatic drama that's unneeded. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Eh. I haven't seen Daniel Jones look like a Pro Bowl QB. Except for last week all of his starts have been mired in turnovers. He just puts up big numbers so it looks better than Haskins appearances where he puts up basically no numbers and has an astronomical turnover rate.

But your bottom line is correct. Give it a little time. For both.

I've been arguably the loudest Daniel Jones critic on the draft thread so am not an easy sell with him.  I thought he was good against Tampa.  I thought he was great last week against the Lions.  If Haskins (like what Jones did) threw for 4 TDs and put up over 300 yards, I'd think many of us would rest easy for a week.  I think he was so so against the Redskins.  And bad in the other games. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add there isn't one person who covers this team (even Keim) or works nationally who hasn't said Dan-Bruce went against the others in the FO (not just Jay on the decision).  And as Louis Reddick (who is Haskins biggest cheerleader) says Haskins is well aware of it.    Talk about starting your career with cognitive dissonance to think there is a faction at Redskins Park who has doubts about you.    Even here we got tension about this being Dan's guy or whatever.  It's part of the reason why the owner needs to stay out of personnel decisions -- especially this owner who has a history of doing it and it not ending well.    It brings automatic drama that's unneeded. 

Add to this that I get the feeling Haskins did not want to play here. Sure he said it during draft interviews cause you have to, but he watched the RG3 thing from here, he even criticized it as a Giants fan. No way this is what he wanted. So we got a guy that doesnt want to be here and knows his coaches didnt want him here and hes only here because of the **** owner everyone hates. I almost feel bad for him. 

15 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Add to this that I get the feeling Haskins did not want to play here. Sure he said it during draft interviews cause you have to, but he watched the RG3 thing from here, he even criticized it as a Giants fan. No way this is what he wanted. So we got a guy that doesnt want to be here and knows his coaches didnt want him here and hes only here because of the **** owner everyone hates. I almost feel bad for him. 

Yeah it does right now have some RG3 undertones as for the owner's part of it.   And many of the media narratives (which Reddick said Haskins is aware of) wasn't just about Jay not wanting him at 15 but also the Redskins scouts (including Kyle Smith according to Sheehan-Keim) thought he was a reach in the first round.  They liked his talent but thought he was a project.  Maybe all of that is BS but its out there aplenty and if Haskins has listened to it all -- I would assume it bothers him especially as someone who as you said covered the RG3 saga in HS. 

To me all the drama around Haskins right now is a bit of a mess.  I was against playing him before the season.  My mind has changed.    I'd like to see what he's got.  And I think it would help his own psyche to just play and not worry about all the side drama.  I feel bad for the kid.  He's walked into a mess.  And I hate all these side stories going on right now.  I think nothing will shut things up more than him actually playing some games. 

And I think most Redskins fans are patient enough to live the through the ups and downs.  I mention that because Shawn Springs (one of Haskins' mentors) loves to say that he doesn't want to play Haskins now in part because the fans will turn on him if he plays poorly.  I think he's right and wrong.  He's right if he plays poorly every game and shows nothing.  But I think he's wrong if we see ups along with the downs.  Rookies struggle -- comes with the turf.  I don't think 2 relief appearances is a fair appraisal. 

Also to me Haskins comes off very competitive and in a good way.  So even if the narratives are true about him not going as hard as he should in preparation or whatever -- I think it will bother him if he plays poorly and it will fuel him in a good way.  IMO the movie has started -- I would give him a real chance to play it out and learn from it and grow.

Meyer isn't coming and Williams isn't playing. Williams reports to help his contract move along not to play. Although he did play Bruce like a fiddle. So Bruce decides to try and trade a day before the deadline and gets squeezed because teams know he's desperate to make a deal now so hold firm on low balling him. Will this man ever learn how to run a team. Answer. Never. What a putz.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I imagine his head may be spinning by the time he finishes call it out, trots up under center, and wondering what the **** did I just say again?

So your defense of him is that 15 words is too much for his brain to handle to regurgitate from the speaker in his helmet and with the play on his wrist? Got news for you.. If a player can’t remember 15 words which are also on his wrist, he’s never going to dissect complex defensive coverages. 

I get an aloof he’s too good for this and and he’s already arrived vibe from Haskins. I never got a he’s dumb vibe just thought he’s a delusional entitled millennial. I actually kind of feel bad for him if that’s the case. Not cool to make fun of the special olympics kids. Either way he has no business being an NFL quarterback. 

Gruden didn't want Haskins, or Jones, or any of the QB's in this draft.  He wanted impact players that could play Day 1 and help him keep his job.

Drafting Haskins (or any QB) meant:

1) Gruden is a dead man walking

2) The 2020 head coach would be promoted from within (as we've done with all of our coaching hires lately...also happens to be the Patriots model)

3) The 2019 season would be used to prep the future coach and give him more time to figure out coaching responsibilities.

If you guys remember:

In 2018 who evaluated the free agent QB's as possible trade fits for our system?  It wasn't Gruden.

From the 2019 Senior Bowl, who went down their to scout QB's?  It wasn't Gruden.

Both times it was Kevin O'Connell.  As soon as we drafted a QB, it was signaling that 2019 was a dead year for the team, and it was prepping KOC to be our next head coach.  The guy who did the ground work on the only two QB's who will be under contract in 2020.  Also, after Kyle Shanahan, Matt Lafleur, and Sean McVay are all having a lot of success elsewhere, you know Dan and Bruce would refuse to let the next hyped offensive mind leave the franchise.

What I'm not sure about, is if KOC is pegged to be the coach in 2020, or if they might want to give him 1 more year of seasoning under Callahan whose been in the league for decades.  Give KOC another year from a very different approach for how to coach/run a team.  But I'd put money down (not much mind you, because Bruce/Snyder are prone to bouts of insanity...see Trent Williams and the lack of an extra 1st round pick) that KOC is going to be our Head Coach in 2020 or 2021.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

This (the bolded)...

This in a nutshell...

Is why this franchise has been awful. You don't draft a project QB with the intent on changing coaches and making the next coach take on said project QB. You don't. If it was a guy like Manning or Luck? Yeah. Maybe. 

If it makes you feel better I ran into Joe Gibbs a few weeks ago and he is high on Haskins 

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

My bad. I meant one of the participation trophy generations. 

I fit the millennial category and I'm really not sure what that means, or how to verify.  So I'll just say avocados are delicious.

Participation Trophies were from the Boomer generation, that was their grand idea, and as a kid growing up playing sports it always felt stupid.  It didn't placate anyone for not advancing in the end-of-season tournaments for soccer, baseball, whatever.  It's like we're supposed to suddenly go from sad/angry we lost to, "Yay, it's happy time, we have this ****ty trophy that cost 50 cents to buy...oh look, Steve's trophy already broke."  But there are the Boomer parents, trying to take photos with little Johnny and the trophy he clearly doesn't care about.

38 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The Bengals benched Andy Dalton for Ryan Finley...so there's that.

There’s a QB I’d take for 4.6 million; send Cinci a 6th & have them pay 85% of his contract. It’s amazing how long Cinci tried to figure out if he was good. Smith, Haskins & Dalton is a fine qb room. 

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

So I'll just say avocados are delicious.

4181CE68-AA7B-4F34-9AC3-23D76BCDD4B7.gif

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

There’s a QB I’d take for 4.6 million; send Cinci a 6th & have them pay 85% of his contract. It’s amazing how long Cinci tried to figure out if he was good. Smith, Haskins & Dalton is a fine qb room. 

I would absolutely take Andy Dalton on a 1 year deal next year as a stop gap starter.  He can't be any worse than Smith or Keenum.

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I would absolutely take Andy Dalton on a 1 year deal next year as a stop gap starter.  He can't be any worse than Smith or Keenum.

Me, too.  Doubt they'd do it though. 

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

It takes a village to develop a QB. We are no village.

this might be sadly true, too. 

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I would absolutely take Andy Dalton on a 1 year deal next year as a stop gap starter. 

Let's hire Jay Gruden to coordinate the offense.

He can't be any worse than Smith

I mean... He can.

or Keenum.

I mean... He can.

Though I don't mind him as a stop gap...

Archived