Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I just don't see the point in throwing Haskins out there when he's still so green and when we're already such a bad team on both offense and defense. Everything a team generally wants to have in place to be able to support a rookie QB playing his first year we don't have. We have no running game, we have a hurt and ****ty OL, and our defense sucks. Oh and our coaches couldn't game plan or adjust their way out of a wet paper bag. The only rationale for putting Haskins in would be to excite the fan base but that will only last until he has 2 or 3 games with multiple interceptions and we're losing even worse than we are now. 

So we'd still be 0-whatever?  Losing worse doesn't change the fact that we aren't winning in the first place.  And for the millionth time, I'm not advocating starting him.  But we're looking at a 1-4 record at best over the next two weeks.  At what point do you start taking serious the idea that Keenum/McCoy aren't going to get you where you desired?  

Ya know, if there's ANY chance Snyder rides the current structure out for the season, you HAVE to have Haskins ready to play.  Running scout team, getting no reps is not putting him in a position to be successful, once the inevitable happens.  Whether by injury or hopelessness, it's going to happen...

I guess what's really bothering me is any other position drafted at that slot is starting or being groomed from day one.  He may not be ready, I get that...But make him ready dammit.  That's kinda your job.  

14 minutes ago, megared said:

So we'd still be 0-whatever?  Losing worse doesn't change the fact that we aren't winning in the first place.  And for the millionth time, I'm not advocating starting him.  But we're looking at a 1-4 record at best over the next two weeks.  At what point do you start taking serious the idea that Keenum/McCoy aren't going to get you where you desired?  

Ya know, if there's ANY chance Snyder rides the current structure out for the season, you HAVE to have Haskins ready to play.  Running scout team, getting no reps is not putting him in a position to be successful, once the inevitable happens.  Whether by injury or hopelessness, it's going to happen...

I guess what's really bothering me is any other position drafted at that slot is starting or being groomed from day one.  He may not be ready, I get that...But make him ready dammit.  That's kinda your job.  

Of course Keenum/McCoy aren't going to get us where we desired. I think everyone and their mother knew that from the get-go (even if Gruden denied it). The problem is that it's exceptionally unlikely that right now Haskins is either. He'd probably be worse. How many terrible games would he have before people started screaming that he's a bust?

Haskins would also run the possibility of getting shell shocked. I know he's a confident kid but there's only so many ways and so many times a person can be beaten down until they lose confidence. We have a **** OL, no run game, and a **** defense. He'd be running for his life, being pressured a ton, and his extreme lack of experience would rear its head quickly IMO. 

I just don't see the upside.

Yes, if Gruden and company manage to stick around somehow into next year then they have to get Haskins ready but that's what the offseason is for. He'd have a year of learning and practicing under his belt and then another offseason of being the presumed starter. 

And you can't just "make him ready" when you're talking about a guy with such limited experience while having a surrounding cast that's so bad. 

13 hours ago, megared said:

It's the situation.  Jay decided to carry Colt on the active roster for whatever unspecified purpose.  So I could see it being totally normal if you're only carrying two QBs and can't have one on the practice squad.   

I made this point in preseason. I didn't see any reason to take up a roster spot and a few million in cap funds for Colt when they could just call him off the coach, no team would have signed this guy. But then again if you have a rookie QB with 1 year of college experience who showed in August that he has talent but is not close to ready Grudog really had little choice.  And it's entirely possible a guy with such little experience was not, and may still not, be ready to face Bill Bellichick's defense. should Keenum go down.  

It's as if people have forgotten that Goff sat an entire season and he was more developed coming out of college.

29 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I made this point in preseason. I didn't see any reason to take up a roster spot and a few million in cap funds for Colt when they could just call him off the coach, no team would have signed this guy. But then again if you have a rookie QB with 1 year of college experience who showed in August that he has talent but is not close to ready Grudog really had little choice.  And it's entirely possible a guy with such little experience was not, and may still not, be ready to face Bill Bellichick's defense. should Keenum go down.  

It's as if people have forgotten that Goff sat an entire season and he was more developed coming out of college.

Jared Goff played the final 7 games of his rookie season and was TERRIBLE. His success since has had nothing to do with sitting on the bench and everything to do with Sean McVay arriving in 2017.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Haskins would also run the possibility of getting shell shocked. I know he's a confident kid but there's only so many ways and so many times a person can be beaten down until they lose confidence. We have a **** OL, no run game, and a **** defense. He'd be running for his life, being pressured a ton, and his extreme lack of experience would rear its head quickly IMO. 

I just don't see the upside.

At this point, it's looking like our O-line next season may even be a step down from this one. 

Do you really have confidence in this front office to address all of those needs, considering they've never done it before?  Bottom line, we have gaps in a lot of places...we don't have the draft capital we need for a youth movement, in fact we're down a 2nd rounder in this upcoming draft.  

New coaching staff or not, we are largely going to be in the same place we are this season without a drastic overhaul.  And if Bruce isn't gone, I doubt we go full on rebuild.  All of this to say, I don't think there's ever going to be an ideal situation here for him to start.  But you can at least prepare him, and have him working with the offense in practices.  I'm not saying to throw him out there now...but all of this attention on getting Case ready has not yielded a single win for us.  It's like our organizational philosophy is to double down on stupid.  

Did we really draft this kid without a concrete plan to develop him?   Going into the 4th week, regardless of record, I don't think you take a guy that high to not focus on his development.  If he really has that far to go, then teach him.  But don't come back and talk about how far he has to go, while he's not an afterthought in what you're trying to do.  

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

That's because he had a dinosaur for a coach, who the game had passed by.  

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I made this point in preseason. I didn't see any reason to take up a roster spot and a few million in cap funds for Colt when they could just call him off the coach, no team would have signed this guy. But then again if you have a rookie QB with 1 year of college experience who showed in August that he has talent but is not close to ready Grudog really had little choice. 

They most definitely had a choice. They could have signed McCown off his couch in August after dumping McCoy who still can't seem to get off his couch and it's almost midseason..

On 9/28/2019 at 12:25 PM, profusion said:

Agreed on both counts. But you know that a couple bad performances from Haskins at this point will have people labeling him a bust and calling for McCoy. It's ridiculous, but there you go.

He's the type of guy that even if he IS bad, will have some 'wow' throws that keep us all on the hook for a couple years. And I don't think he's bad. I really don't think giving up on Haskins early will be a problem with this fanbase, we just want some hope and a QB to invest in emotionally. We haven't had that since RG3's rookie year. We all had that pit in our stomachs when we saw him get ruined, and then Kirk never felt "real" to me, especially when we kept tagging him. I couldn't invest. 

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He's the type of guy that even if he IS bad, will have some 'wow' throws that keep us all on the hook for a couple years. And I don't think he's bad. I really don't think giving up on Haskins early will be a problem with this fanbase, we just want some hope and a QB to invest in emotionally. We haven't had that since RG3's rookie year. We all had that pit in our stomachs when we saw him get ruined, and then Kirk never felt "real" to me, especially when we kept tagging him. I couldn't invest. 

You're crazy.  This fan base a awful with quarterbacks.  It gave up on RGIII immediately.  They didn't want Haskins to begin with.  They will absolutely give up on him after his first bad game.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You're crazy.  This fan base a awful with quarterbacks.  It gave up on RGIII immediately.  They didn't want Haskins to begin with.  They will absolutely give up on him after his first bad game.

I have to respectfully disagree with you there.

Many ESers didn't want Haskins but I'm not sure they are representative of the fanbase as a whole.

I think most of us are willing to be patient with Dwayne's inevitable growing pains.

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

RG3 was the chosen one here until that playoff game. Then we all knew it was over, even if some were in denial for a while. 

Lots of people here wanted Haskins, and imo his flashes this season will only enhance that. 

There are a percentage of fans here that fit what you're saying, sure. But lots of people want something to believe in and will just be happy to have QB play to break down that might actually mean something, long term. People want to watch a young QB make exciting plays and incrementally improve, and I think would put up with poor games just to see the flashes happen. 

I'm not saying any of this to advocate starting Haskims btw. I want them to wait as long as possible. Just addressing when he does eventually start. 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Nah.  Most of us felt like RG3 would need a year after his injury or maybe should sit for half the season.  And that Shanahan should have overruled him vs. Seattle, everything might be different now (I'm in the camp that the injury forever altered what they could do with Griffin and how effective and accurate he was, even if he was less gifted at reading defenses still.)

How long did this fanbase give Brunell? Campbell? Way too long.  Only reason people gave up on Ramsey is because Gibbs was the one who gave him the hook.

Archived