Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Well I can't agree with you there. AP is 34 years old and isn't a factor anymore. Guice was the better option if he was healthy. 

Why isn't he a factor anymore after a year of going for 1000? No one is saying he should be the only ballcarrier, it's that he was inactive.  It wasn't done to do anything other than spite AP and the front office.  

Here's a word of wisdom: Any man known for not being able to discipline his followers or subordinates will definitely employ passive-aggressive and underhanded techniques out of spite, weakness, or to get his way. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wait, Gruden handed playcalling duties over to O'Connell for the first time, when the QB switch happened? Do we have confirmation on that? Would be big information. 

Hmm... I was thinking this meant that Gruden was letting O’Connell call the plays for Haskins (I assumed because he’s seen more of Haskins than Gruden has).  

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Hmm... I was thinking this meant that Gruden was letting O’Connell call the plays for Haskins (I assumed because he’s seen more of Haskins than Gruden has).  

Would still be big news. O'Connell hasn't been calling the plays at all. 

11 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Would still be big news. O'Connell hasn't been calling the plays at all. 

If I’m right (no idea of course), I think it’s only a big deal if that’s the case moving forward.  If Haskins remains the starter and Gruden goes back to calling plays after seeing his reps in practice?  Less of a big deal.  IMO anyway.  

7 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

O'Connell hasn't called plays anywhere in this league. Hopefully it was just because of Haskins going in. Making that a permanent shift is not a good idea, and would be a big mistake for a team that has a pretty consistent record of making big mistakes. 

You mean a rookie signal caller plus rookie qb would be bad?  Kinda makes sense.  Personally, I could also see it being a good thing though - O’Connell probably knows Haskins better at this point, it frees Gruden up for an overseer role, and maybe we are more dynamic with play calling.  

Haskins needs first team reps to get his timing up to par.  You can't just give him backup reps, like 10% to 20% of the reps.  Plus, it's going to take time.  He'll do fine as our future franchise QB, I believe.  Let him play and learn.

4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Case should start next week, DH v Miami.

etc

Personally, I’d sit Haskins, as you suggest, and maybe rest the injured guys another week (Roullier, Scherff, McClaurin).  Not my butt on the hot seat of course, and not my team (ownership-wise) fans are apathetic about.  Terrible situation all around.  

56 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

A mid-level starting QB in the NFL on that Cousins contract can totally kill you. Winning by building around a rookie contract QB is the way to go. Unfortunately we also have a ton of wasted cap space for the next couple years sipping beers along with the rest of us watching the games, so we aren't really saving on QB contracts this way the way we should.

What kills you is not having a QB. 

If you don’t practice with the 1’s all week, it’s tough to come into a game and perform.  Especially when the O line in front of you continually gets pushed into your lap.  Give him a week of work and let’s see.  Give him one receiver that can run past everyone and we will see.  Although, it may have to be another week until we really can judge.  Bill And Tom will have a plan to destroy our terrible team.  Let’s wait until the following week.  

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

If I’m right (no idea of course), I think it’s only a big deal if that’s the case moving forward.  If Haskins remains the starter and Gruden goes back to calling plays after seeing his reps in practice?  Less of a big deal.  IMO anyway.  

You mean a rookie signal caller plus rookie qb would be bad?  Kinda makes sense.  Personally, I could also see it being a good thing though - O’Connell probably knows Haskins better at this point, it frees Gruden up for an overseer role, and maybe we are more dynamic with play calling.  

I just don't think O'Connell is any good, generally. He's a sharp guy, but if I were a HC, he wouldn't even be my OC. He'd be an assistant to my QB Coach or some other lower-level offensive assistant. Not an assistant to Rattay, because that was a poor hire, too. Some ascensions are just too fast, and it's detrimental to units progressing. I do think that Gruden needs to give up playcalling duties; that's been clear for some time now. Doesn't seem to interested in giving that up, so.............

24 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Cool. We're not in that position right now, so I'm not sure what we're discussing anymore

We absolutely are in that position now.  Haskins is not ready, and Case is nowhere close to the one year wonder of a couple of years ago.  of course, it really doesn't matter, because we don't really have much of anything on this team that works, and what we do have that is good is either being misused or is overburdened trying to compensate for the non-working parts around them.  We are really in a no win situation and will continue to be so long as Bruce Allen is in control; hence, no wins.

3 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

We absolutely are in that position now.  Haskins is not ready, and Case is nowhere close to the one year wonder of a couple of years ago.  

Case is the same guy most teams are starting, he’s the guy both starters and both backups in Minnesota v Chicago are. The one we have, always seems like the worst of them.

Sorry, I don't buy the Gruden conspiracy to sabotage Haskins, allegedly to spite Snyder's faction.  I think he thought Keenum was healthy enough to go, and was trying to maintain the maximum level of familiarity of first-team  personnel possible, especially amidst all the team's injuries.  Many of the offense's players were fairly new to the first-string's entire package of plays, much less being able to execute them in a coordinated manner with their new teammates.  It's probably not the time for putting in whole range of new plays, and taking time out of the shortened week to polish up the 2nd string, when the first string was still so ragged.

Also, I feel we tend to over-react to QBs having interceptions in Gruden's somewhat aggressive system of passing attack.  Unless you go totally risk-averse like Smith did, the INTs will happen -- especially if you're newer to the system and playing from behind.

IMHO, Haskins will improve significantly as he gets more acclimated to the system, and would benefit from getting more time to really learn (at almost the muscle-memory, instinctive level) the play scheme and players before being thrust into the fire.  My guess was that Haskins was probably slated to take over around the bye... But Keenum's foot changed those plans.

Haskins has a lot of potential, but still needs time.  I'd hate to see Dwayne get handled the way Ramsey was handled -- Haskins needs to be developed patiently and carefully -- because his raw talent is so worth it!

By the way, I suspect O'Connell was handling the calls while Haskins was in, mainly because he probably was more familiar with what Haskins was most at ease with, in Gruden's playbook.  I think under the coaching division of labor, O'Connell was likely tasked with more hands-on work with Haskins than was Gruden, whose responsibilities are likely much wider-ranging than those of an offensive coordinator.

Bottom line:  I'm not going to read too deeply into how things played out today.  There are already too many conspiracy theories floating around in Washington DC for me to looking for more.  If the Skins can heal up some of their key players... I think it can still be a competitive team, even if it's run by Keenum.  (But I'm still not sure about McCoy's readiness). I hope they remain patient with Haskins, in spite of his emergency duties today.

15 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

We absolutely are in that position now.  Haskins is not ready

Right, but we're committed to developing him, so until that succeeds or fails we don't need to waste cap space on an overpaid journeyman QB...other than the one-legged $70M one on our IR I mean. 

maybe Haskins can throw for 5,000 yards per season in the NFL all on behind the line of scrimmage passes like he did in college but I doubt it.  something tells me the same offense that brought you Tim Tebow's Heisman Trophy and 1st round draft selection will have confused the NFL's top QB talent evaluator, Dan Snyder, into forcing his team to draft a mediocre QB who really shouldnt be any higher than a 5th round draft pick.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Right, but we're committed to developing him, so until that succeeds or fails we don't need to waste cap space on an overpaid journeyman QB...other than the one-legged $70M one on our IR I mean. 

Ok, I get what you're saying now.  Yes, hopefully, Haskins will develop into a legit franchise QB.  Unfortunately, we are on the hook for the disastrous Smith contract for at least another season, and after we clean house with the coaching staff, there's a good chance that McCoy and Keenum will be gone next season too (seriously, will a new coach and OC want them?).  That will lead to having to throw some money at another QB, because i highly doubt we will go into the season with just a rookie (likely a 6th or 7th rounder) to backup Haskins.   

5 minutes ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

maybe Haskins can throw for 5,000 yards per season in the NFL all on behind the line of scrimmage passes like he did in college but I doubt it.  something tells me the same offense that brought you Tim Tebow's Heisman Trophy and 1st round draft selection will have confused the NFL's top QB talent evaluator, Dan Snyder, into forcing his team to draft a mediocre QB who really shouldnt be any higher than a 5th round draft pick.

Youtube shouldn’t be accessed without supervision.

Archived