Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

32 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I have long thought that taking Cousins right after Griffin was all the proof I needed to see.

Using read: losing so many picks on 3, only to burn another on a QB in the same draft - pointed to spite, or Mike taking the QB he really wanted.

He did it before in Denver Im pretty sure. I remember him specifically saying he was part of a team that did it before previous to his Redskins tenure and that it worked so well having multiple learning QBs in the room together that he thought it would be worth it to do it again. AND he was planning to run 3 literally into the ground AND he actually liked Cousins, too. We also had no back up right? I cant remember who came after Mcnibble or Grossman or the legend himself John Beck. 

So i dont think it was spite really. But I dont put it past his old ass either. He was clearly a spiteful man when he was in charge here. Thats why we got nothing from fat boy.  

59 minutes ago, Llevron said:

He did it before in Denver Im pretty sure. I remember him specifically saying he was part of a team that did it before previous to his Redskins tenure and that it worked so well having multiple learning QBs in the room together that he thought it would be worth it to do it again. AND he was planning to run 3 literally into the ground AND he actually liked Cousins, too. We also had no back up right? I cant remember who came after Mcnibble or Grossman or the legend himself John Beck. 

So i dont think it was spite really. But I dont put it past his old ass either. He was clearly a spiteful man when he was in charge here. Thats why we got nothing from fat boy.  

Good stuff!  Legend lol.  Me thinking Cousins was taken for spite was just my immediate reaction. I felt bad for 3 as we all know this town always wants the backup, the QB starting looking over his shoulder, waiting for the boo birds at the first ****up. I FULLY expect the same this year. Just give it time.  Case couldn't beat out Colt. So he will lose the job when Colt comes back. And then Colt will get injured. And then fans will have had enough and want Haskins.

I do see both sides of the Beavers red cheeks. You want 2 QBs learning together and battling it out, one will emerge. The problem is you gotta carry 3 QBs or risk one on the PS.  I also see the vet mentor angle.

McNibble = McGrounder. I cannot count how many times I remember McNubbs grounders bailing out our defense....

51 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I have long thought that taking Cousins right after Griffin was all the proof I needed to see.

Using read: losing so many picks on 3, only to burn another on a QB in the same draft - pointed to spite, or Mike taking the QB he really wanted.

Drafting someone out of spite would speak incredibly poorly of Shanahan, and actually gives a valid reason for overriding him on personnel decisions.

Shanahan has said he wanted Russel Wilson (not instead of Griffin, but in addition to), but was drafted before he felt he could do so. Not to mention, our QB unit at the time was total dreck: Grossman, John Beck, God knows who else we had on the roster at the time (if anyone). Seeing another QB you really like still available in the 4th and then drafting him, to me anyway, speaks to Shanahan having the confidence and control needed to make the draft go whatever way he felt best. 

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Drafting someone out of spite would speak incredibly poorly of Shanahan, and actually gives a valid reason for overriding him on personnel decisions.

Shanahan has said he wanted Russel Wilson (not instead of Griffin, but in addition to), but was drafted before he felt he could do so. Not to mention, our QB unit at the time was total dreck: Grossman, John Beck, God knows who else we had on the roster at the time (if anyone). Seeing another QB you really like still available in the 4th and then drafting him, to me anyway, speaks to Shanahan having the confidence and control needed to make the draft go whatever way he felt best. 

Yep, as I said the spite thing was just my initial reaction.  We were likely still all a little gun shy wondering if Dan had really relinquished control. The Griffin pick reeked of Snyder Desperation Perspiration.

But I am sure I wasn't the only one scratching their head seeing Cousins drafted while still doing jumping jacks at only using 4 picks to get Griffin. 

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Yep, as I said the spite thing was just my initial reaction.  We were likely still all a little gun shy wondering if Dan has really relinquished control.

But I am sure I wasn't the only one scratching their head seeing Cousins drafted while still doing jumping jacks at only using 4 picks to get Griffin. 

Yeah, I read your post above after posting that lol...

Well, that sums it up for me.  If Jay is talking about Case and "possibly Colt McCoy later on," then I think we're going to have to wait awhile to see Haskins.  If we see Haskins I will probably believe it's a Snyder move, designed to get fans back to Fed Ex (hahahahahaha) and to give the media something positive to talk about.

@Renegade7 you gonna be ok over there?

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, that sums it up for me.  If Jay is talking about Case and "possibly Colt McCoy later on," then I think we're going to have to wait awhile to see Haskins.  If we see Haskins I will probably believe it's a Snyder move, designed to get fans back to Fed Ex (hahahahahaha) and to give the media something positive to talk about.

I refuse to care anymore until we get to the Philly game, taking a page out your book. 

Then I'll decide if to jus sit and watch the people riot to get Haskins in or not if this goes south, not in the I told you so mood.  Ya know, I've said my piece, ad nauseam, at this point the only thing that will change anyone's mind is how well or poorly Case plays and then I guess eventually Colt. Hes going to play this year, ready or not, how soon depends more on how much pressure Jay gets under playing people ahead of him, especially if they suck and we are losing games.

Again, not preparing this guy like hes competing for the starting job is scary because Colt is hurt and if Case gets hurt hes going out there whether hes ready or not.  I keep saying that, but it doesnt seem to matter.

So I was just reading this article and it got me excited about Haskins. 

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2017/01/alex_smith_and_carson_wentz_on.html

I don't want to quote from the article because its behind a big paywall or something but its from the KC loss to the Steelers in that year of the playoffs, and basically saying that some QBs have an "it" factor to make players around them better, to keep their eyes downfield when things around them break down, to get to their third and fourth reads and such. 

Looking back at the preseason, this is what got me excited about Haskins. He definitely faced pressure and took his share of hits, but he showed an ability to keep his eyes downfield and keep his eyes on the WRs and create plays. Now, I also saw some of this from Case so its not like its unheard of. I also kinda wonder about how much QBs make WRs, and whether that's what we saw with Smith and Hill, with Keenum and Thielen, and possibly this year with Haskins and Davis or Sims? 

5 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Haskins says "I did it (play backup) in college. It's not foreign territory"

Haskins thinks : "Gruden done messed up"

On 8/30/2019 at 3:56 PM, Califan007 said:

Anyone still wish we had traded our 2nd round pick for this guy instead?

Why would the preseason have changed anyone’s mind? Lack of understanding the game, I suppose.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:46 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

It makes me happy that you guys are coming around on Haskins.  He's a special prospect and we've got a future worth looking forward to now.  Still can't believe he just fell into our hands on draft day.  The league is so terrible at drafting QBs.

People also listen to Chris Cooley way too ****ing much.  I know it was his take that poisoned the fan base to Haskins.

I hope you guys who frequent the draft thread will also trust me in the future when I say the grass is greener mentality about future draft classes, and especially future QB classes, is a fallacy and a waste of time and it motivates paying opportunity cost.  And there is usually a true stud QB in every class plus a couple who are good enough to win with as a starter.

Re: Rosen, he's got a big time arm and he's aggressive and has the playmaker's gene.  He can see the next level throws and get the ball there.  If he'd have ended up in better situations, he could have become a good NFL QB.  I think he got damaged by his time in Arizona.

But he's also just not as good as Haskins.  He's not as smart.  He's not as strong or athletic.  He's lazier and softer than Haskins, and he's not nearly the same leader.  Haskins has the aura of being able to lead by example and he is a true workhorse.  Rosen was never even close to as good at UCLA as Haskins was at Ohio State.  It was always some flashes of brilliance followed by setbacks and shaky play whereas that Ohio State offense eventually became a freaking machine with Haskins running it.  Just effortless, relentless chains moving plus big plays coming with frequency that showed off special instincts and aggression.  Black quarterbacks have to be twice as good and productive as white quarterbacks to get the same NFL consideration as them.

Unequivocally, the most entertaining thing I’ve read in a long time. You guys make the internet the place to be.

6CB04C0E-DBA8-42F4-B107-F8367F9829CC.gif

21 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Let's hit this before someone comes in and says something stupid. Haskins can not fix this team. The coaching is garbage all around. Haskins should sit all year, because Gruden won't be here next year.

Haskins will be learning a new system next year. 

They're coming.... And you cannot stop them.

Case played well today, all in all.  His job should be safe as quarterback wasn't the weakness today.  If anything, he strengthened his case for starting.  We got our asses kicked in the trenches.  And the secondary had a really rough day.  That's what we need to get figured out.  Haskins redshirting is definitely the right move.

I was pleased with how Keenum looked, just because it will give Haskins more time to bake. Every week that Keenum looks competent is a week Haskins is getting ready for his eventual debut. Eventually, he'll progress more by being on the field. But I'm sure he's still got plenty to learn with a clipboard. 

42 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Somewhere, Colt McCoy is crying in his beer.  Keenum looked good and Dwayne is the future

He's made a nice career as an injury-prone backup. Probably not what he imagined after being such a stud in college at a big school, and definitely not what anyone expected after he was born and given the best QB name in history--but he's done well for himself after the early Browns disasters and concussion scares. 

Funny...i am normally anti-change. QBs, Coaches, they normally get my benefit of doubt. And yes Case looked good in the first half. But man, the second half was brutal. Part of the come back was the fact we could not get a first down and stop their rhythm. He missed some open guys, and missed some throws. He is good when there is a pocket, but he is bad when he has to move and/or improvise. And McLaurin was so very wide open on that second bomb, how do you overthrow that guy? Look, that last TD was garbage. We scored 20 on the Eagles when it mattered. That isn't going to win games. It might beat the lower quarter of the league, but isn't going to beat the top half. 

I think Haskins could have done just about everything Keenum did. Maybe less in some places, maybe more in others. Why not get him out there? The line held up pretty well against one of the best Ds in the league. Not worried about him getting crushed. Let him learn. I don't have any notions that he is going to save the season, other than the fact he will make it worth watching. I guess the biggest concern would him doing pretty well and saving everyone's jobs. 

Archived