Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Joe is... a little crazy.  His on-air takes haven't been the best.  And that Haskins/Keenum take isn't even remotely realistic.

Yeah his other one is he seemed to prefer a standoff with Trent all season long to make a point to him even if that means he doesn't play versus getting trade capital for him.  I know he's chummy with Dan and Bruce so i am hoping he isn't pushing this stuff to them. :(

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah his other one is he seemed to prefer a standoff with Trent all season long to make a point to him even if that means he doesn't play versus getting trade capital for him.  I know he's chummy with Dan and Bruce so i am hoping he isn't pushing this stuff to them. :(

In Joe’s mind it took Joe a bit to get it, so other “Joes” *need* the extra time. 

I'm sure it's just joe coming to the realization that in order to stay relevant he has to say things that illicit some sort of emotion from his listeners. 

If he just regurgitates the same crap that we already know like how haskins has all the physical tools but is raw then everybody will change the station to some clown like Stephen a smith so they can get fresh new information even if it is ludicrous.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wow is Joe Theismann a radical on the Haskins starts thing.  I am listening to him on the radio now, not only doesn't he want to start Haskins at all this season (I get that to a degree), he's not sure if he'd start Haskins in season 2 (to me that's nuts).  Part of his take is wrapped in homerism, he thinks they have a good shot at winning the division this season and they should resign Keenum and keep the Keenum era going so to speak.  

Joe was a really good QB. And ... well let's just leave it there.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

In Joe’s mind it took Joe a bit to get it, so other “Joes” *need* the extra time. 

Joe thought he was ready in 8th grade 🙂

He refused to report to Miami because he was drafted too low in his mind and went to Canada so he could play right away. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think this is original Joe Theismann crazy.  There would be no logic or benefit to Bruce or Dan feeding him a take like sitting Haskins and extending Keenum.

26 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Anyone still wish we had traded our 2nd round pick for this guy instead?

giphy.gif

Lol...

Admittedly, I was in on idea of Rosen before draft, but I think in short time, Haskins has earned the support of the majority. 

I think its bears? repeating - Haskins showed me pocket awareness. Like, he knew to be cautious of his blind side and moved up into the pocket to safety. I strongly believe simple pocket awareness is HUGE.  Often the difference between a blindside whammy sack fumble turnover punt, or a back breaker first down.  He looked like Big Ben for a moment there.  He buys his WRs that extra moment, when the route is over and the DB pauses.

Not to mention it drives fans bonkers thinking a sack is coming and instead its a whiff by their stud end rusher going wide.

I will casually gloss over the fact that there isn't always a pocket. But when a QB sees the pocket collapse, its time to get rid of it, or be keenly aware of what is happening behind his back.

All our QBs before Haskins stand in the pocket like a statuesque buffoon and get clobbered over and over. Heck It took Couains 5+ years to figure out that he can scramble.

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Kirk showed pretty good pocket presence.  But Kirk doesn’t have near the arm talent or foot speed that Haskins works with.

I think he wasn't tested almost spoiled with Trent for almost all of his tenure. But point noted, he wasn't terrible.

27 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Kirk showed pretty good pocket presence.  But Kirk doesn’t have near the arm talent or foot speed that Haskins works with.

Early in his career, Kirk would often feel pressure coming and backpedal before chucking it up for grabs. He slowly learned to move within the pocket some, but he has never been very good at it. 

12 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Early in his career, Kirk would often feel pressure coming and backpedal before chucking it up for grabs. He slowly learned to move within the pocket some, but he has never been very good at it. 

Oh yeah...we’re all familiar with the Kirk back foot throw.

I had reservations about Haskins before the draft. All the stuff everyone has heard. One year starter. Really good protection in college. Didn't show a whole lot of pocket mobility. That whole deal. However, he has looked really good to me in these preseason games. He moves well, throws well even when he's escaping pressure, seems to understand how to protect his body. Obviously we can't possibly know how fast he's grasping the offense, but he seems to know where the pressure is coming from and he's decisive. Plus he's got that rocket arm with a quick release. He's shown improvement with every outing. I fully expect him to start sooner than later because the schedule will be really tough from the jump and I don't see Keenum meeting that challenge. I fully expect him to crap the bed. All we need from Haskins is to show he's a first round talent this year. Lots of great QBs had mediocre to bad records their first year. I'm excited to see how he develops. His potential is way up there. 

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Absolutely hated Kirk in the pocket. Not attempting to bash, but just feel what we’ve seen from Haskins is miles ahead in terms of feel and presence in the pocket. No way did I think Haskins would be at level of rotating shoulders and spinning out of pocket going to his left, he’s done this a few times already. He also appears to understand momentum of defensive players and how subtle movements can create so much. 

Not all directed at you, just hyped about the prospects of the Skins QB. 

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Lol...

Admittedly, I was in on idea of Rosen before draft, but I think in short time, Haskins has earned the support of the majority. 

Me, too but because Rosen would be a cheap one-year QB, maybe two. And it’d only cost a 2nd rounder never imagining we’d get Haskins AND Sweat in the first. 

Last week on ESPN sports radio I heard them say there’s talk in Miami on whether it should be Fitzpatrick starting. Boy, they might have made a bad decision bringing in Rosen if it’s that bad. 

20 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I wanna hear what Griffin said to Haskins after the game, hope it comes out one day

You were EXACTLY right. It came out in exactly one day.

“If I ever needed him for anything, just give him a call. He plays in Baltimore, so me and him have the same
offseason quarterback coach and we’ll be in touch. He thinks I’ll be really great quarterback one day. That
means a lot coming from him.”

One red flag about Rosen.... throwing a new playbook at him in just his 2nd camp.  Probably new terminology on top of being expected to know the full playbook....  not that he cannot bust but even with a poor showing in year 1, he still fetched a 2nd rounder. Playing a rookie and him failing is not a total waste of the asset.  The playbook carousel starts for Rosen. He will join countless others including Case "new team every year" Keenum.

Back on topic I loved seeing Haskins making accurate strong throws on the move. Usually a QB on the move in DC = throw away. The exception was always the roll Kirk right with 3 options running with him at various depths. Dwayne also had a nice sidearm throw.  Football pocket passing purists heads may explode but not me. Throwing on the run and improvising is life in the modern NFL. 

Yeah one area I was worried about with when it came to Haskins was his ability to handle pressure. A decent part of that is that he simply didn't see much of it at OSU due to having a really good OL. But outside of the occasional head-scratcher I've been very impressed so far with his ability to slide in the pocket and avoid pressure. He's had to do it many times during the preseason and looked pretty smooth doing it.

Archived