Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Haha why? Because I agree with someone that makes sense? Im just tired of watching players like Murray, Wilson, Jackson.  While everyone on here thinks there's a chance that Haskins has "it" because Zampese told Springs this and Rivera hinted that. It's absurd. If Rivera saw anything positive in Haskins he would have started during that easy stretch of the schedule. There is literally no better time to develop a young promising kid than against that Giants and Lions. It's over dudes.  

6 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Haha why? Because I agree with someone that makes sense? Im just tired of watching players like Murray, Wilson, Jackson.  While everyone on here thinks there's a chance that Haskins has "it" because Zampese told Springs this and Rivera hinted that. It's absurd. If Rivera saw anything positive in Haskins he would have started during that easy stretch of the schedule. There is literally no better time to develop a young promising kid than against that Giants and Lions. It's over dudes.  

Joe Thiemann on the radio the other said he wanted to see Haskins get another chance as we don't know what he has. He was trying to make comparison of what happened with Tannehill and how he is playing really good now. I was thinking when I heard him say that: Joe you are way too old and no longer know how to evaluate QB anymore. Apples don't equal oranges. 

Good thing I wasn't on the Haskins train to begin with. I have seen enough. 

55 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Dwayne better get ready. I think he will see some playing time today; as Alex gets benched at some point.

So we do a complete QB shuffle and make it back to the original #1 QB within 10 games. If the goal is to have fans tuned out of the season, Washington is doing an amazing job. 

On 11/18/2020 at 12:25 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

Cincy , Dallas and Philly are the potential wins remaining.

I fully expect us to revert back to form and Cincy will win easily. Maybe we steal a win in Dallas. By the time we play Philly; the players will have checked out.  Philly will need that game.

I only see one possible win to finish 3-13.

So we beat Cincy. Up next is a Dallas in complete shambles.

15 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Dwayne better get ready. I think he will see some playing time today; as Alex gets benched at some point.

🤣 Are you a parody account of fans?

As I look at the LA/Tampa game and see Tom throw multiple interceptions for at least the second time this season, I realize QBing in this league is never mastered. It's the reason you have to work and be discipline like a Samuri with this ****. It also validates the idea that a young QB is rarely successful when ask to run a pro style offense. 

Would be interesting to see Haskins back on the field before the end of the season.

He so nearly got cleaned up by Chase Young Sunday. After Young had taken Burrow out for the fumble, he almost did the same to Haskins as he was that fired up heading back to the sideline.

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Would be interesting to see Haskins back on the field before the end of the season.

He so nearly got cleaned up by Chase Young Sunday. After Young had taken Burrow out for the fumble, he almost did the same to Haskins as he was that fired up heading back to the sideline.

Not happening, we are in the middle of watching the greatest comeback story in the history of professional sports - no one wants to see Haskins on the field pooping himself again. In the words of coach we have "seen enough".  That "near clean up" was the closest thing he is going to get to football action barring something terrible happening to Alex

12 hours ago, joeken24 said:

As I look at the LA/Tampa game and see Tom throw multiple interceptions for at least the second time this season, I realize QBing in this league is never mastered. It's the reason you have to work and be discipline like a Samuri with this ****. It also validates the idea that a young QB is rarely successful when ask to run a pro style offense. 

Tom is 43 years old so mastering the game is not his problem.  I agree with your point but not your example.

Copy and pasted from the game day thread:

Maybe Haskins is learning a little bit, man. He was the first one over when Smith got hit and he helped him up.

He's been smiling and talking to coaches.

That is a VERY encouraging sign. Maybe not for a franchise QB, maybe he is. Who knows. But for a young man that needed to learn a little bit he seems to be going down the right path. 

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Haskins may just get lucky and stick around in 2021, His contract is guaranteed. And if Smith is staying. Who knows.

Been thinking this since watching the game today.  Is it possible Alex Smith starts for us heading into next season with Haskins as the 2?....I think those chances are good.  

...I’m not sure if I’m terribly upset about that... 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Copy and pasted from the game day thread:

Maybe Haskins is learning a little bit, man. He was the first one over when Smith got hit and he helped him up.

He's been smiling and talking to coaches.

That is a VERY encouraging sign. Maybe not for a franchise QB, maybe he is. Who knows. But for a young man that needed to learn a little bit he seems to be going down the right path. 

idk, seemed a little contrived..esp with him tweeting about it later

2 minutes ago, skinbuck said:

idk, seemed a little contrived..esp with him tweeting about it later

He has serious maturity issues. Everything is about him. I'd rather move forward with Allen developing behind Smith. 

It's clear that Haskins doesn't feel threatened by Smith. He hated being behind Allen. It made him sick to the stomach. 

2 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

He has serious maturity issues. Everything is about him. I'd rather move forward with Allen developing behind Smith. 

It's clear that Haskins doesn't feel threatened by Smith. He hated being behind Allen. It made him sick to the stomach. 

You got that from him helping up Smith? Impressive.

The curious case of Dwayne Haskins....what to do with the guy...

I’ve ploughed in on him as much as many others. It’s good that period has passed over. The return of Smith as starter seems to have brought some calm and balance.

No idea if Haskins sticks around, but if he’s doesn’t he’s a fool. Feels like he’s got a good QB environment to develop in, if he wants to.

Would sure help the organisation if things took an upwards turn.

Don't know what to make of Haskins behavior.

A.  I liked seeing him giddy on the sideline celebrating their success

B.  I know it wouldn't be lost on him that this was a mega prime time game so his behavior would be seen by a national audience.  And the tweets further the idea that he knew his behavior would look good and give him positive attention. 

I don't think Haskins has the ball placement skills among other things to evolve into a franchise QB.  But my bigger issue with him are the intangibles.  When he seemed to be turning a corner on the intangible front in the off season, I was optimistic about him because I figured maybe he will work his way through the kinks in his game.  If he gets his act together I still think its possible but I'd bet against it. 

I think Haskins has a chance to turn his story around. Here's the most benign interpretation I can come up with.

He was drafted on potential and a stellar year in college, but everyone knew he was raw... super raw. Unfortunately, he was drafted into a situation with a coach who was not only on the hot seat, but probably was ready to be fired. Gruden gave the kid less support and work than any #1 draft pick in NFL history. He didn't want him, didn't believe in him, and, as much as he could, refused to work with him. Haskins, partly because of this, looked really bad in spot duty. He looked better at the end of the year when he was playing consistently and getting practice snaps. It probably didn't hurt that they play called to his strengths whereas Gruden tried to play call to Haskin's weaknesses. 

So, season two rolls around and there's a new coaching staff and the staff says, "We don't know you, work hard, and we'll see." The kid does work hard. COVID strikes though and he gets no hands on training camp. So basically, his first two years, he has no preseason coaching. Still, he does enough to earn the starting nod, but in the games, he's mostly awful. Like the team, he rallies a bit in the second half, but he's terrible and he gets benched for performance after probably his best game. I think in fit of anger he asks for a trade, but his value is so low that the team can not comply. Then Allen makes the team look better and Smith even better than that.

What does this mean? Well, it means that the raw kid is a bust, but a bust who's still raw. In the very old days, they used to say it takes three years for a QB to be ready. In the glory days of Gibbs, Joe would never trot out a rookie QB. He'd have them as a backup or more often third string, but when it was their time and he gave the nod... they executed and were pretty damn good. This could happen with Haskins if Haskins corrects the wrongs in his mechanics and his head. He is more mobile than we thought. He's not Dan Marino. But he also doesn't have Marino's arm, release, accuracy and instincts. Maybe a full training camp, OTA's and whatnot can change that. Problem is, if Haskins does emerge at that point, it's really going to be a roll of the dice because he'll be in the last year of his rookie contract and he is very far away from earning an NFL QB salary... even a back up's salary.

So, his story is not over, but he has a hard, hard road if he's willing to walk it. Mind you, his road is a lot less hard than Alex Smith's was.

Archived