Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the worst Redskins team in the last 20 years?

Idaho fan

I don't remember laughing at my team like I have this year. So I would say yes. I think most fans that watch these games now only watch to see what type of inept play will happen to add another loss at this point.  OR, if some magical winning fairy dust has been sprinkled upon the field to help us. Either way its pathetic, sad, laughable, and boring. We now have joined the ranks of the Browns, Bucs, Lions, etc. as one of the worst teams not only in DC , but in history. Thank you Snyder, you've managed to do something worse than just lose games. You've actually made it  " uncool " to be a Redskin fan. 

It’s up there for sure.  Maybe my expectations are just really low, but they at least seem to be fighting (especially the last few weeks) and while production/end result has been awful, I don’t see the play as comically bad to the same level as some other years.  Teams aren’t scoring 50+ on us, for example (at least not yet).  

I’m coming around on GHH’s theory/thinking.  This team may suck, but at least they’re not lackadaisical, bumbling idiots.  I know I never expected them to put any kind of pressure on San Fran and Minnesota.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 4:52 PM, Probos said:

Actually it's trending toward the worst team in the last 60 years -- they won 1 game in 1960.  

Very possible they win a game or two before the season is over though,....

what team are they capable of beating on the remaining schedule? Jets ? I doubt it.  I honestly do not see another win here.

8 minutes ago, Monkman56 said:

what team are they capable of beating on the remaining schedule? Jets ? I doubt it.  I honestly do not see another win here.

Bingo..what this dude said..Williams d gonna tare up this offense

2006 07 09..one of those seasons there can't remember where we only won 3 games was a pretty bad season too..but ya this is definitely shaping up to be the worst in 20 years..at this point I even believe it's in the best intrest for the skins to lose for better draft position..yes you heard it from me...and no it's not hoping the skins lose..I still hope for them to win.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:42 AM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This is the worst team since the "We don't allow black players" years.

If they keep playing this way, you might not be that far off. @SkinsFTW mentioned the team's on pace to score less than 200 points through the season and I can't imagine them putting up all of 9 points on the board helped their case. Those "All White 'Skins" teams hit their nadir in '60 & '61 (winning one game each) and scored 178  & 174 respectively (they were last in the league in '61, even worse than the 1-year-old Dallas Cowboys).

If they do keep this pace up, they'll be in the same offensive production neighborhood as some of the worst teams this town's seen since the 'Skins came from Boston. 

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

Those 60s teams also played 12 games, in a much lower scoring league. This team might score fewer in 16 games considering the trend lately.

And honestly, it cannot be overstated how wretched those pre-Sonny Jurgensen teams in the late 1950s and early 1960s. They couldn't put up any points and their defenses were among the worst in the League. Attendance figures at Griffith Stadium, which was falling apart, were terrible, dipping into the mid-10,000s at times (at a stadium that had a capacity over 32,000). This team was so unpopular, GPM nearly sold them to Clint Murchison. 

Even as a none-too-shy critic of the SnyderSkins, to think team is on pace to, somehow, be even worse than those teams - at least as far as offense production is concerned - baffles me. 

14 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Even as a none-too-shy critic of the SnyderSkins, to think team is on pace to, somehow, be even worse than those teams - at least as far as offense production is concerned - baffles me. 

Well when you top out at 8-7-1 or 9-7 then you are likely to bottom out even lower than actual NFL teams as well. It's just another part of the circus.

For instance the Patriots bottom out and its still better than our peak and they still go to and win a SB despite 11-5.

38 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Those 60s teams also played 12 games, in a much lower scoring league. This team might score fewer in 16 games considering the trend lately.

Yep. In a league where all of the rules favor the offense & where huge scores happen frequently how is it even possible to go three complete games without a TD?  You would figure that a team would at least luck into a TD or two during that time.  And this is all happening under Callahan who is an offensive coach - amazing.

Will be hysterical to see all of those empty seats at the Jets-Skins game in a few weeks.  Honestly who is even going to pay $5 to see that game?

Yes, I can't remember seeing a worse Redskin team. I compare this team to Ritchie's only year. But as bad as that team was it at least had a few games where it put points on the board. This team can not score in today's NFL which is sad. It can't convert 3rd downs and it can't score a TD and it's terribly coached. Because of the rules you have to throw a few deeps balls every game. Yet there were none yesterday. The defense must want to kill the guys on offense cause as soon as they sit down they're getting put right back on the field. 

Anyone remember the 1993 Jets Redskins game???  That was so depressing. 

And with those really rough teams in the mid-1990s, there was at least some reasoning behind it. The championship core was aging and the team had to adapt to the sudden new methods of doing business, mainly free agency and the salary cap. All that and Joe Gibbs retiring happening at the same time - then you throw in JKC nearing the end of his life and focusing all his attention toward getting his new stadium built before he died. And while he was a fine scout, Charlie Casserly was no Bobby Bethard. 

Of course those teams were going to be bad and they hit rock bottom like a sack o' bricks. 

This though? This is inexcusable. 

It's not just the dearth of talent, the lack of effort, the prehistoric coaching scheme, the front office ineptitude, and absolute disregard for the fan experience, there's something that feels just kinda gross about the team at this point.

Last year of both Zorn and Spurrier were bad, but those teams were 4-12 and 5-11 respectively. 

With us being 1-8 and playing bad I'd argue we're setting a new low. So, if you've been waiting to celebrate, mind as well let it all out: 

giphy.gif

Now we can set our sights on the #1 overall pick. We'll probably find a way to fall short of that goal, but ultimately with already having Haskins we aren't looking to draft what will be one of the top two picks. 

Add in that we don't have a 2nd rounder the excitement that could be around draft positioning is kind of subdued. I guess we can have some hope if getting the #1 overall and trading it to another team, but then we are back to hoping Bruce Allen can do his job and find a trade partner...

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, JCB said:

It's not just the dearth of talent, the lack of effort, the prehistoric coaching scheme, the front office ineptitude, and absolute disregard for the fan experience, there's something that feels just kinda gross about the team at this point.

Just about any other pro team would be doing something both during the offseason & currently to address the fans in some manner. When you are basically losing constantly, have basically none of your own fans watching the games live, tons of them not even watching on TV & most having complete disdain for ownership & mgmt. you have a major, major problem. Most teams - hell most businesses - would do something at this pt even if it was just to humor the fans.

Not Snyder or Allen.  The only thing that they did that was remotely close was firing Gruden & even that was handled in a clumsy manner with Allen telling lies during his press conference.  Is it so tough for either of these guys to just try and talk to the media & reach out to the fans every now & then?  I used to buy into the lie that "at least Dan wants to win - he just doesn't go about it the rt way"   Total BS.  He cares about money - plain & simple - not much else.  If along the way he can make the playoffs every 5 yrs  - great, but he won't make any extra effort.

I swear it is as if these two clowns are trying to piss off the fans.  They do everything wrong & never once apologize to anyone.  So frustrating.

5 hours ago, dicksogj said:

I swear it is as if these two clowns are trying to piss off the fans.  They do everything wrong & never once apologize to anyone.  So frustrating.

The fact that Bruce still has a job is an Indictment of Dan.  I can’t imagine any other owner keeping such a poor GM that has not only made bad football decisions but has also alienated fans and annoyed/pissed off other GMs around the league to the point of them not wanting to work trades out with the Redskins even when their teams might benefit.  Allen is not only loathed by the fans but he is really not liked or respected around the league.  And yet Dan stands by him.  

I actually think it’s safe to say that if in some parallel universe you took every decision dan/Bruce has made and did the opposite that the skins would be in better shape.  

one can not overstate how terrible these individuals have been for all things related to this franchise.   

On 10/25/2019 at 4:52 PM, Probos said:

Actually it's trending toward the worst team in the last 60 years -- they won 1 game in 1960.  

Very possible they win a game or two before the season is over though,....

I think the question is about more than just results, which is why there's question

2 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

The fact that Bruce still has a job is an Indictment of Dan.  I can’t imagine any other owner keeping such a poor GM that has not only made bad football decisions but has also alienated fans and annoyed/pissed off other GMs around the league to the point of them not wanting to work trades out with the Redskins even when their teams might benefit.  Allen is not only loathed by the fans but he is really not liked or respected around the league.  And yet Dan stands by him.  

that maybe a positive in Snyder's eyes.  He hasn't become more liked by the owners and based off his own experiences he probably likes them less than he ever did

Archived