Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the worst Redskins team in the last 20 years?

Idaho fan

9 hours ago, wtfskins said:

I groan also when my kids and wife wear Redskin apparel.  Sad truth. 

I have to tell my kids stories about 1987 or 1991 to keep them in line.  i tell them that this losing bunch is just a temporary situation and they'll be back in the playoffs soon. 

When I do this, I feel like Robin Williams in that movie "Jakob the Liar."

6 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Still think 1993 is the best comp, even though it was Ryp's early injury that threw that campaign off the rails early. The free fall in that first post-Gibbs season was jarring. At least we knew we were going to suck this year, but not to this extent.

Also, there were reasons for the team's terrible performance that were outside of their control. Not only did Gibbs retire but that was the first year of free agency and the salary cap. All that happened with an aging core of starters so a rebuild and the pains that go along with a rebuild were inevitable. 

This, though? This is inexcusable. 

3 hours ago, kfrankie said:

I have to tell my kids stories about 1987 or 1991 to keep them in line.  i tell them that this losing bunch is just a temporary situation and they'll be back in the playoffs soon. 

When I do this, I feel like Robin Williams in that movie "Jakob the Liar."

Or Roberto Benigni in 'Life Is Beautiful.'

I just realized that this franchise is coming upon a very sad milestone.

As of today, the franchise's record in Washington DC is 577-571-23 in regular season games (600-589-23 if you include the playoffs).  If they lose out for the rest of the year, they'll be exactly .500 in regular season games for their entire tenure in Washington DC, and given the way things are going, they'd likely go under .500 even including playoff games next year.

As a contrast, by my best estimation, the team "peaked" in 1992, when they beat the Cowboys in a mid-December game, taking the all-time franchise record to 401-321-21 (421-333-21 including playoff games).  They dropped their last two to the Eagles\Raiders, split two playoff games and went 4-12 the next year, beginning the long slow descent.

EDIT: I just realized that game against Dallas, was the infamous Danny Copeland play where he scooped up a poorly thrown AIkman-Emmitt lateral in the Cowboys endzone that put the team ahead late in the 4th.  That's one of my fondest "mundane" (non-Super Bowl) memories of the team growing up.  Who knew that someone out there sold the franchise's soul for that play.

4 hours ago, wrilbo67 said:

I just realized that this franchise is coming upon a very sad milestone.

As of today, the franchise's record in Washington DC is 577-571-23 in regular season games (600-589-23 if you include the playoffs).  If they lose out for the rest of the year, they'll be exactly .500 in regular season games for their entire tenure in Washington DC, and given the way things are going, they'd likely go under .500 even including playoff games next year.

To keep it simple, according to Pro Football Reference, the Skins as a franchise are currently two games over .500.  Granted, they were a combined 23 under .500 in the six seasons between 1993-1998, but I think are now 49 games under .500 during Snyder's ownership.

Can't wait for the Skins to fall below .500 as a franchise so it can be said that Dan Snyder has officially turned the Skins into a loser. 

Yes.  This is a bad team both talent and coaching wise.  We have a very serious lack of playmaking ability on both sides of the ball.  

Front office is the worst in the league and it trickles all the way down.  We aren't progressing while Bruce is here.  end of, period.  

On 10/25/2019 at 6:49 AM, carex said:

I don't know.  See, to me this team is under performing based on the potential we have and what we've done in the past.  While Spurrier's teams were bad.

How about now?

Btw, Spurriers pathetic teams win 7 and then 5 games. Including beating the SB champ Patriots.

21 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

How about now?

Btw, Spurriers pathetic teams win 7 and then 5 games. Including beating the SB champ Patriots.

No, I really don't.  I consider this team under performing  based on it's previous results.

Just go listen to or read Ross Tucker talking  about what the Skins were like under Spurrier

26 minutes ago, carex said:

No, I really don't.  I consider this team under performing  based on it's previous results.

Just go listen to or read Ross Tucker talking  about what the Skins were like under Spurrier

No. Respectfully, did you even see those seasons?

Spurrier arrived with enormous hype. Our preseason games were blowouts. He pulled no punches.

Then reality slowly started to set in. General mismanagement. Crappy players picked from the bargain bin. QB drama.

Even then there were some bright spots: Marvin Lewin coached our D and the final record of his two seasons here

was a mediocre to bad 7-9 and 5-11 (which seems very attractive under our current circumstances actually). 

Arguably, the fans have never felt so morally defeated by the team as they do now.

As far as I can remember (since 1983), there has never been a worse season than this one

in regards to general failure. I can only recall two specific moments like this one during the Snyder era:

- The end of the Zorn era

- The end of the Shanahan era

During both, the HC placed team politics before their jobs and the results showed on the field. Basically, the HC wanted to be fired.

But those were short periods of absolute disaster. Acute pain, but short timespans.

This is an entire season in crisis mode. Hope something good actually comes because of it.

Just now, El Mexican said:

No. Respectfully, did you even see those seasons?

Spurrier arrived with enormous hype. Our preseason games were blowouts. He pulled no punches.

Then reality slowly started to set in. General mismanagement. Crappy players picked from the bargain bin. QB drama.

Even then there were some bright spots: Marvin Lewin coached our D and the final record of his two seasons here

was a mediocre to bad 7-9 and 5-11 (which seems very attractive under our current circumstances actually). 

Arguably, the fans have never felt so morally defeated by the team as they do now.

As far as I can remember (since 1983), there has never been a worse season than this one

in regards to general failure. I can only recall two specific moments like this one during the Snyder era:

- The end of the Zorn era

- The end of the Shanahan era

During both, the HC placed team politics before their jobs and the results showed on the field. Basically, the HC wanted to be fired.

But those were short periods of absolute disaster. Acute pain, but short timespans.

This is an entire season in crisis mode. Hope something good actually comes because of it.

I'm talking about the TEAM.  Crappy players picked from the bargain bin, QB drama that featured crappy QBs, Case and Colt are better than Matthews and Wuerfful and the jury's out on Haskins vs Ramsey.  The hype cause the coach actually showed everything in training camp.

I believe the Spurrier teams were worse because I believe we had a lower talent level overall and are coach was a lazy idiot

I do not care about the fans and whether they have hope or are defeated the fans are not the team, my only thoughts in judging the worst team are the talent and potential of the players and coaches

On 11/18/2019 at 11:00 PM, carex said:

I'm talking about the TEAM.  Crappy players picked from the bargain bin, QB drama that featured crappy QBs, Case and Colt are better than Matthews and Wuerfful and the jury's out on Haskins vs Ramsey.  The hype cause the coach actually showed everything in training camp.

I believe the Spurrier teams were worse because I believe we had a lower talent level overall and are coach was a lazy idiot

I do not care about the fans and whether they have hope or are defeated the fans are not the team, my only thoughts in judging the worst team are the talent and potential of the players and coaches

Ok, got ya. Still, I think it's debatable. 

Man for man, I don't see this year's squad as even 10% superior to Spurrier's.

Unless we see a huge turnaround, our record will be worse than either of his two season here.

League-wise, our stats are probably even worse in terms of yards, defense, etc.

This 2019 team ain't winning another game this season. That is fact. They just got destroyed by the lowly Jets. We have multiple losses by double digit points, the fewest points scored in the league, and worst point differential. 

Did I mention we are a botched 2 point conversion away from 0-10?

This is the worst team in the history of the franchise. 

ftYBzL4.gif?noredirect

On 11/18/2019 at 11:00 PM, carex said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2002_roster.htm

Really?  I agree that Spurrier was a worse coach than Callahan (maybe worst Skins coach ever).  However - I do question whether the talent was worse for the 2002 Redskins.  Lets compare.  The current Redskins have almost no talent on offense if you base this strictly on performance & not potential in a few years.  Dreadful QB performance, OL not good at all, TE - dreadful & one very good WR (but doesn't matter much with crappy QB play).  Defense is certainly better lead by a very good D line.  However LB performance has predominately been awful & secondary is God awful save for the occasional good plays by Dunbar.

Let's look at the 2002 team - granted memory is a bit hazy on this one.  QB play was mainly just as bad (things looked worse because of the stupid min protection philosophy of Spurrier).  OL did include a young Samuels & Jansen so certainly better than the current OL.  RB advantage would go to the current Skins - 2002 had a so-so Davis (& rookie Betts) & again handcuffed due to Spurrier's system.  WRs probably a bit better than current group overall & certainly put up better numbers.  On defense - DL was not that bad & had some decent players (although I never liked the Skins version of Bruce Smith).  The all star LB lineup underperformed, but they were certainly better than the current LB group.  Secondary is no comparison when the 2002 group included & young Smoot and Champ Bailey.

Not really sure how you can say that the 2002 Redskins had a lower talent level than the current team & especially when you are looking at actual performance & not potential or hype.

12 hours ago, dicksogj said:

Really?  I agree that Spurrier was a worse coach than Callahan (maybe worst Skins coach ever).  However - I do question whether the talent was worse for the 2002 Redskins.  Lets compare.  The current Redskins have almost no talent on offense if you base this strictly on performance & not potential in a few years.  Dreadful QB performance, OL not good at all, TE - dreadful & one very good WR (but doesn't matter much with crappy QB play).  Defense is certainly better lead by a very good D line.  However LB performance has predominately been awful & secondary is God awful save for the occasional good plays by Dunbar.

Let's look at the 2002 team - granted memory is a bit hazy on this one.  QB play was mainly just as bad (things looked worse because of the stupid min protection philosophy of Spurrier).  OL did include a young Samuels & Jansen so certainly better than the current OL.  RB advantage would go to the current Skins - 2002 had a so-so Davis (& rookie Betts) & again handcuffed due to Spurrier's system.  WRs probably a bit better than current group overall & certainly put up better numbers.  On defense - DL was not that bad & had some decent players (although I never liked the Skins version of Bruce Smith).  The all star LB lineup underperformed, but they were certainly better than the current LB group.  Secondary is no comparison when the 2002 group included & young Smoot and Champ Bailey.

Not really sure how you can say that the 2002 Redskins had a lower talent level than the current team & especially when you are looking at actual performance & not potential or hype.

I don't quite believe a group where Rod Gardner is the best WR is better than our current group.  TE are Rasby, Flemister and Leonard Stephens.  When Davis plays I think we're better than that.  OL, our interior OL included Larry Moore, David Laverne, Kip Vickers Alex Sulfsted, Brendon Stai Wilbert Brown

Bleh. Both teams suck, but I'm certain this year's team suck even more. It's unwatchable. 

At least during the Spurrier era there was a some kind of morbid pleasure in watching that train wreck

develop before our very eyes. We all knew it was coming, it was a just a question of when. Honestly,

the phone call from the golf club was a bit anti-climatic.

But now?  There's zero motivation. Zero. I literally have no reason to watch this team,

save to see them fall even more. Haskins? Don't care. Guice? Who dat. D? Bad too terrible. 

Temporal coach, temporal D coordinator. A very good WR dependent on decent QB play.

Please, if you guys have any recommendation to make this season pasable, help me out.

21 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Bleh. Both teams suck, but I'm certain this year's team suck even more. It's unwatchable. 

At least during the Spurrier era there was a some kind of morbid pleasure in watching that train wreck

develop before our very eyes. We all knew it was coming, it was a just a question of when. Honestly,

the phone call from the golf club was a bit anti-climatic.

But now?  There's zero motivation. Zero. I literally have no reason to watch this team,

save to see them fall even more. Haskins? Don't care. Guice? Who dat. D? Bad too terrible. 

Temporal coach, temporal D coordinator. A very good WR dependent on decent QB play.

Please, if you guys have any recommendation to make this season pasable, help me out.

Watch the Ravens, who could win this years superbowl.

Archived