Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My gut was Callahan would be a tough sell to fans but not to that extent

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 11.21.52 AM.png

I wouldn't absolutely hate Calahan as a CEO head coach, but I wouldn't want to bring the gang back. It'd be dependent on him getting an exciting DC and OC... though I guess if you are making the argument Calahan is good enough to stay then you are making an argument that the OC and DC have done their jobs too.

Thinks.

Never mind. Even if Calahan earns the job we probably can't afford to give it to him.

I want Matt Rhule to be the next HC of this football team so, so badly. Why? Forget the amazing job he has done at Baylor, look at the job he did at Temple University. The dude took a team that has been a laughing stock for the better part of its existence and established a culture of toughness that has continued to this day -- more than three years after his departure and two HCs later. Under his stewardship, the team went from 2-10, to 6-6, to 10-4, and then 10-3. At Temple! You watch any Temple game and the phrase 'Temple Tough' is repeated throughout the game. Temple went from a team that was almost disbanded to one that expects to make a bowl game each year. That only happens through establishing an organizational culture of accountability and toughness. 

I can't remember the last time the above adjectives were associated with this organization. Bring Rhule into this organization and lets reset what it means to be a Redskin. 

David Shaw served as the Raiders' quality control coach from 1998–2000 and quarterbacks coach in 2001, when Bruce Allen was a top executive in the Raiders organization, so there's a connection. It's not known how Shaw views Allen's dubious track record and management skills. 

Shaw has plenty of NFL experience with other organizations and his track record as the head coach of Stanford is very respected. 

He's (86-34) in nine seasons as head coach at Stanford University with 3 Pac-12 championships and is the 4-time Pac-12 coach of the year but is coming off a (4-8) season with the Cardinal. 

The most interesting part of LaCanfora's report is the following: Sources said Dan Snyder is beginning to understand the gravity of his situation and that major changes could be coming to the Skins front office this week.

The three immediate questions are these: What the hell took him so long to figure it out? 

Also, why would any human being EVER let Bruce Allen conduct a coaching search again?  

Back to Shaw: Why would anyone with leverage and options choose the Washington Redskins as their destination of doom? 

Bill Callahan, currently the Redskins interim head coach, will try to get to (4-4) today in his eighth game at the helm, but it probably does not matter, despite still having a shot at the playoffs with a win at Lambeau Field and plenty of other help down the stretch. 

Chris Russell is the Publisher of Maven & Sports Illustrated's Washington Redskins channel.

https://www.si.com/nfl/redskins/news/redskins-have-interest-in-stanfords-shaw

36 minutes ago, skinsfan834 said:

I want Matt Rhule to be the next HC of this football team so, so badly. Why? Forget the amazing job he has done at Baylor, look at the job he did at Temple University. The dude took a team that has been a laughing stock for the better part of its existence and established a culture of toughness that has continued to this day -- more than three years after his departure and two HCs later. Under his stewardship, the team went from 2-10, to 6-6, to 10-4, and then 10-3. At Temple! You watch any Temple game and the phrase 'Temple Tough' is repeated throughout the game. Temple went from a team that was almost disbanded to one that expects to make a bowl game each year. That only happens through establishing an organizational culture of accountability and toughness. 

I can't remember the last time the above adjectives were associated with this organization. Bring Rhule into this organization and lets reset what it means to be a Redskin. 

Agreed. Matt Rhule is my number 1 choice currently. Him and Matt Campbell are the two college coaches I dig. Not a fan of David Shaw 

I have to do some more digging into the NFL assistants. 

The two positions that would most closely appeal to Rivera on a personal level, according to several sources who know him well, would be the Chargers, with a chance to return to his Southern California roots, or the Bears, where he played and coached. While those teams have sputtered badly at times this season, it's nowhere close to certain either of those jobs will be opening.

Rivera has strong ties to Giants general manager Dave Gettleman and some members of that staff, and if the Giants make a coaching change it's expected they pursue men who have a proven history of winning as a head coach. The Falcons, with an aging core, may prize experience as well, with owner Arthur Blank not inclined or positioned to do a rebuild, and with Blank's recent hires coming with no previous head coaching experience. Some NFL executives believe Rivera would be a fit with the Cowboys as well.

Rivera has made it clear in his remarks last week that he is eager to jump into his opportunity, and he will have no shortage of opportunities to interview.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ron-rivera-will-have-strong-market-for-his-services-but-his-two-ideal-landing-spots-may-not-open-up/

I didn't get to watch the game but listened to it on the radio while working.  It sounded like Haskins had a pretty nasty ankle injury and they kept him in.  Doing that to your rookie first rounder seems like a good way to say "I don't want to be the permanent head coach" to me

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

David Shaw and his remote possibility of talking Andrew Luck our of retirement might be intriguing...

Not happening, for one, because the colts still hold his rights and would have to either release him, or trade him to us, i believe. Which i doubt the colts would do. 

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Not happening, for one, because the colts still hold his rights and would have to either release him, or trade him to us, i believe. Which i doubt the colts would do. 

The compensation with the colts would be the easiest part. Getting him to change his mind and agreeing on a contract would be the far more difficult parts but if anyone can do it, it would be David Shaw. 

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Nope. Alex Smith and J Reed for Luck. Colts send us their first. After all, if we give them two players they ought to give us two. Fair's fair.

Those aren't players though.

But you may be on to something.

If Dan and Bruce give the Colts two of our spectators (Alex and Reed) then maybe the Colts would give them a few of their fans.

They are kind of running out of those.

"Redskins getting some push back from potential coaching candidates about structure of the organization."

I'm having troubling envisioning this.  The Redskins reaching out to potential candidates.  I imagine that would be Bruce, with Dan, in an office on conference call with an agent.  And the agent says, "My client is not interested in the Redskins job so long as Bruce is in charge?"

Then Bruce hangs up and chugs a Coors?

12 minutes ago, Snagletooth said:

"Redskins getting some push back from potential coaching candidates about structure of the organization."

I'm having troubling envisioning this.  The Redskins reaching out to potential candidates.  I imagine that would be Bruce, with Dan, in an office on conference call with an agent.  And the agent says, "My client is not interested in the Redskins job so long as Bruce is in charge?"

Then Bruce hangs up and chugs a Coors?

I wish the agents would say as long as you own this team ;)

18 hours ago, skinsfan834 said:

I want Matt Rhule to be the next HC of this football team so, so badly. Why? Forget the amazing job he has done at Baylor, look at the job he did at Temple University. The dude took a team that has been a laughing stock for the better part of its existence and established a culture of toughness that has continued to this day -- more than three years after his departure and two HCs later. Under his stewardship, the team went from 2-10, to 6-6, to 10-4, and then 10-3. At Temple! 

Matt rhule has led an amazing turnaround at Baylor, and he is a well respected coach. At Temple, I wouldn't say he was as instrumental in the turnaround as his predecessor, Steve addazio.  Addazio led them to consecutive bowls following seasons of barely winning any games.   And Baylor was a premier program for awhile in recent years, then hit a rough patch with the sexual assault scandal, and rhule has righted the ship.  Rhule is a very good, well respected college coach, but I'm not sure he would succeed at the NFL level, and I think there are better candidates available.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/college/2019/10/04/baylor-bears-matt-rhule

This article attributes rhules success at Baylor to relationship building, hiring Texas high school coaches to help recruiting, and mentions his schemes aren't elaborate and he is more well rounded than an expert in any one aspect of the game.  He has some fantastic traits, but I think the college coaches who would have a high chance of success at the next level are the expert types - saban, Riley, even joe brady with his passing offense.

13 hours ago, RWJ said:

This team is still a mess and it needs to start with Allen being released and replaced with a competent GM (Kyle Smith) and that competent GM picking a competent HC.  

Minus just promoting Kyle Smith (he should be considered) -- this is the only correct answer.  

Archived