Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

it seemed to me that rivera would get a lot of positive attention here when the news broke, and i think he'd be a better get for us than i've been expecting

otoh, given the kind of character guy ron is widely reputed to be, i think it'd be fitting if he was offered the job and declined it

As I've digested Rivera, it's growing on me.  His personality is a big part of it.  I like some class and likability to front an organization that otherwise has very little of either quality.

But I am doubting he'd come here if he has multiple possibilities.  The Giants for example although being a crap show on the field even more so than the Redskins still have the reputation of being classy and cool to work for. 

2 hours ago, profusion said:

Rivera had nine seasons with mostly great rosters and only thrice made the playoffs.

I don't think he's a bad coach, per se, but he won't fix what ails this franchise.

I think you are overrating the quality of his rosters. Keep in mind that he had backwards people like Gettleman and Marty Hurney building his rosters in a 1990s style. Always thought it was idiotic they spent so much money on DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart, neither of whom was an elite back. Because of that, Cam never really had great receivers to go to outside Olsen. You can argue that this season is arguably the best skill talent they have had between CMC and their young receivers - unfortunately, no QB to take advantage of it. On top of this, while Carolina has always seemed to have a good to great front 7, their secondary never really matched up in terms of talent (except maybe 2015 when Norman balled out).

Another reason to like Rivera is the guy has experience running both 4-3 and 3-4 defenses. Give him a better chef and let's see how he does

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I bet dollars to donuts that panther job is Romeos. 

It would fit what their owner seems to express he's looking for.   How weird it would be for us to have an owner who could communicate to the fans?  Heck the Giants co-owner did the same yesterday.   Dan seems too scared to talk, or doesn't care what the fans think or is too embarrassed to say publicly what he might be really thinking which might be something like he wants a go along to get along coach because he still thinks he has the Midas touch in spite of the results and can't help trying to put his stamp on everything going on with the organization. 

So I'm reading an article on the Ringer about Rivera firing being good for both parties involved and here's a quote from Rivera about analytics: 

“Where does it end? Can you get text messages or go out there with an iPhone and figure out where to go? What are we creating? I know there are millennial players, but this is still a game created 100 years ago. … I want to get beat on the field. I don’t want to get beat because someone used a tool or technology.”

I'm a mathematician and I definitely understand this quote. Everybody likes to toot their horn and say they've got the next greatest analytic and its great until it doesn't work then suddenly they've got to go back and debug or add another feature or inspect why it failed in that case. I see it at my job everyday and its something I fight against because there are some things that we know work, but because some other gimmicky ones didn't it leads the guys like Rivera to throw their hands up and say "I hate analytics" when they really generally hate bad analytics. 

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It would fit what their owner seems to express he's looking for.   How weird it would be for us to have an owner who could communicate to the fans?  Heck the Giants co-owner did the same yesterday.   Dan seems too scared to talk, or doesn't care what the fans think or is too embarrassed to say publicly what he might be really thinking which might be something like he wants a go along to get along coach because he still thinks he has the Midas touch in spite of the results and can't help trying to put his stamp on everything going on with the organization. 

Danny is too busy on his yacht wearing a moo moo and Kleenex boxes on his feet while collecting jars of his own urine in his IMAX theater.

I think Rivera is solid, but I'm a little dubious of him. Although he has an overall winning record as a HC, is a two time coach of the year and has gotten to a SB, he has 6 losing seasons in his nine as the Panthers HC. Okay, it's officially 8 3/4 seasons, but he was well on his way to finishing this season with a losing record. His teams didn't seem consistent year to year and quite frankly, you didn't know what you were going to get out of the Panthers from year to year. Not to mention, he looks a little dazed and confused on the sidelines a lot of the times, in my opinion.

Is he a good guy? I'm sure he's a great man, as people say he is. Is he a better coach than Gruden and Callahan? i don't think there's much doubt. But I just feel between the guys that are looking to become HC's for the first time or other retread's that are available, Rivera isn't on my top 10 wish list to be our next HC. That said, if he were to become our next HC, I think we could do worse.   

It's about to be 2020. I can't justify hiring a coach who feels that way about analytics, period. I think that's at the root of Tepper's issue with him as well, if you read between the lines of his new mission statement for the franchise. 

8 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It's about to be 2020. I can't justify hiring a coach who feels that way about analytics, period. I think that's at the root of Tepper's issue with him as well, if you read between the lines of his new mission statement for the franchise. 

Agree, we have an old school interim coach now who knows nothing about analytics.  Maybe it's not that you live every minute by them but at least know some of the odds in making decisions.  IMO, We really need a coach with some of the latest creativity to go along with all the other crap like relating to the younger generation.

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I'm reading an article on the Ringer about Rivera firing being good for both parties involved and here's a quote from Rivera about analytics: 

“Where does it end? Can you get text messages or go out there with an iPhone and figure out where to go? What are we creating? I know there are millennial players, but this is still a game created 100 years ago. … I want to get beat on the field. I don’t want to get beat because someone used a tool or technology.”

I'm a mathematician and I definitely understand this quote. Everybody likes to toot their horn and say they've got the next greatest analytic and its great until it doesn't work then suddenly they've got to go back and debug or add another feature or inspect why it failed in that case. I see it at my job everyday and its something I fight against because there are some things that we know work, but because some other gimmicky ones didn't it leads the guys like Rivera to throw their hands up and say "I hate analytics" when they really generally hate bad analytics. 

Ron hates analytics?  He should fit in well here.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

SIP, Good article about Rivera and Finley's opinion.  He's spot on.  We really won't know until after the last game and if Allen is gone as to what direction we go in.  What is kind of sad is that we've had the time to scope the NFL and college ranks for a new GM and HC but I doubt Snyder/Allen has done any work in this area.  Similar to the situation concerning TW.  We could have had a 1st and possibly more but we know how things turned out.  I surely wouldn't mind Allen gone and Kyle Smith take over as GM.  He's had some excellent drafts the past couple of years and he should be given the chance to pick his own HC.  The end of the season will show if things change or they remain the same.

I would be absolutely thrilled if we went after a defensive minded coach.  Yeah I know,  its a high flying,  high scoring league in today's NFL but if you look closely the Super Bowl year in and year out is usually won by the team that is playing red hot defense.  Look at the Eagles a couple years ago,  they won it with a dominant defensive line, then last year the Patriots shut down the Rams high scoring offense.  Like the old saying goes defense wins championships.  

47 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

SIgn me up for Bienemy.  He's top of the list for me.  Give him Guice/McCLovin/Haskins/stud TE in draft/Bryce Love/Harmon and lets go.  

If he decides to go the HC route he's likely to have multiple suitors. Why the hell would he come here?

Archived