Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

Pure speculation, but a big time coaching name will be the next hire and given substantial say so in personnel. Bruce will be out somehow during off-season. 

Dan being able to provide power to the next individual is of great value. 

My guess is McCarthy has his eyes on the Atlanta job or perhaps the Browns job if they move on from Freddie.  I still think the Skins will end up with a defensive retread like Rex, Gregg, Bowles or maybe Marvin unless they go with a young unproven offensive guy like KOC.  

4 hours ago, drowland said:

My guess is McCarthy has his eyes on the Atlanta job or perhaps the Browns job if they move on from Freddie.  I still think the Skins will end up with a defensive retread like Rex, Gregg, Bowles or maybe Marvin unless they go with a young unproven offensive guy like KOC.  

That would be awful. Marvin? Seriously? 

I can't see it. 

We have no choice but to go with an offensive guy to develop DH....Going defensive guy would be a mistake imo.

We need to bring in the best guy, doesn't matter if it's offense or defense. Developing Haskins shouldn't be the priority, getting the right GM and HC is and should be the priority. If that's Gregg Williams or Marvin Lewis so be it. Buffalo has a defensive coach and Josh  Allen seems to be making strides. 

You're absolutely right. It needs to be the whole staff. And they need to do it right. Get a GM, GM picks the coach, coach picks his staff.

Snyder is nowhere to be seen. 

Unfortunately, we won't do it this way. I'm not convinced Allen will be let go. I'm fairly convinced we'll have a good, if not great draft again next year. I'm fairly certain they won't meet their potential because we have a backwards organization, run by a inept jackass, who wants sycophants,  not leaders.

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

That would be awful. Marvin? Seriously? 

I can't see it. 

We have no choice but to go with an offensive guy to develop DH....Going defensive guy would be a mistake imo.

you hire a defensive coach and then hire a quality OC.  We haven't had a defensive oriented coach since Marty

How attractive would the job be sans Bruce?

In order to assurance no interference from Dan; it would have to be written into the contract any potential coach and gm would sign.

In reality, the Skins need 2-3 of a real rebuild.  What coach and gm would really want to embark on that and would Dan give them the time to really rebuild and then see what happens?

Even if our dreams come true and Bruce is gone, the Redskins will still be near the bottom of potential openings.

Here's a look at all the potential competition:

Dallas-  Garrett contract ends after his last game. Barring an NFC championship appearance; he's not getting a new contract.  I think Dallas is really a good coach away from a Superbowl appearance.  If Jerry really wants to win one before he dies; he needs to go the non-puppet route.  Unsure if that happens.  This job is a better option than the Skins.

Giants- Shurmur and the GM needs to go.  Will the Giants admit their mistake, so soon after firing their last gm and coach.  Hmmm.  I would only rank them a little above us because of Barkley and Jones. 

Falcons-  With all that talent, they should be doing better.  This job is definitely a better job than ours.  The right coach maybe then can make one final superbowl appearance in the Matt Ryan era and maybe win it this time.

Lions- Patricia has failed. How much longer can Stafford play with his back problems on all.  I see a rebuild being need in the future.  They are probably just a little bit better than us.

Panthers- Rivera is probably done.  2nd year owner will get his own guy in 2020.  What is the future of Cam Newton? Is Kyle Allen the future?  I think this team is a better place than us.

Jaguars- Marone is done. Depends on who the QB will be?  This is a job that is slightly better than us.

Browns- IF they move on from Kitchens, this job is better than us.  The Browns are ready to become a consistent contender, all they need is head coach. They don't have one now.  

Bengals- Taylor could be one done, if he goes 0-16.  This job is probably worse than us.

The Bears,Chargers and even Broncos could also have openings.  San Diego is better than us.  Chicago may need to move on from Tribusky.  So, they could be even with us.  Denver will probably be canning Elway, once they get their ownership settled.  

I figure if Dan wants a quality coach and gm, he will have make concessions and probably pay a ridiculous salary.  They are better options.

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I figure if Dan wants a quality coach and gm, he will have make concessions and probably pay a ridiculous salary.  They are better options.

You assumed a lot in that projection. Say we were considering a coach like Gruden - then surely the Giants job may be more interesting than the Redskins (ignoring that we just fired him) because he wanted Jones over Haskins. But if we consider the ones who are defensive or who liked Haskins the most then this place may be more interesting. 

Plus even if you ignore Haskins, you have the question of what are they walking into on the field. We have talent on this roster. Maybe its not superstar talent but its enough to be competitive in a lot of games. And its not all old talent, but we have players like Dunbar, McLaurin, Guice, Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Sweat, Moreau, Nicholson, Holcomb, Harmon, Sims. Thats youth spread across a number of positions, and then we have other young guys like SDH, JHC, Apke, Moreland, Martin, Ross, Christian, Simms. 

Point being, a young coach (offensive or defensive) may see this as a talented roster and say that there is a lot of clay for them to mold already on the roster, allowing them to possibly win their first year. Contrast that with a place like Atlanta or  Detroit, or Carolina where they have a lot of older players and (I'm not sure about this) but probably less cap space to sure it up. So it will rely on the FO knocking out a few drafts in a row. Like them or hate them, our front office has done a good job stacking the roster with young talent who has come in and played well. Not exceptional, but well. Maybe a young coach can even take that into consideration and say what's more likely to happen, the Redskins FO continue to draft well (but not exceptional) or <insert poor team here> suddenly begins to draft well. 

But I will say that the kicker in all of this is Bruce & Dan. I think they will rightfully scare away a lot of talented people. Heck my dream as a kid was to be Charley Casserly and work my way up from an intern to an NFL GM. But when I heard stories about Dan Snyder as a boss I gave up that dream. But I don't want to do the combo thing that Dan loves to do after his coordinator hires don't work out. I'd like to see somebody like Doug or Eric as team President and Kyle as GM. Hopefully that can give us enough stability in the FO that we're able to get a good innovative coach and not have to promote the next Zorn. 

I'm seeing 20+ names popped out for a HC, but everyone keeps saying "hire a GM", but other than Peyton I'm not seeing any names.

So, who are the GM options? Maybe someone could make a thread about that.

Im curious what some of you smarter than me people think the next GM/Coaching options could be.

Someone under Newsom and Romeo for example? 

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Im curious what some of you smarter than me people think the next GM/Coaching options could be.

That guy in Dallas would be a smart choice.

He's no GM because he's working for Jerry, but if you got him the job and let him work, it could be really interesting. And shouldn't be hard to have him working with a better coach that Jason Garrett.

OK, going from Jones to Snyder isn't really that glamorous, but at least, with Snyder you know you're not working with the whole family and are at least named on the website where for the cowboys only the Joneses are getting any sort of recognition...

Coach / Gm deal guaranteed 10 yrs like Gruden ( what’s Bill Parcells up to these days) is the only chance of a quality candidate applying for the job.

If the Tomlin rumor had any legs seems like Dan is looking for a more disciplined no nonsense type. 
 I don’t know which candidates out there fits that description but I agree they will be a name big name, they will be given full gm powers, and they will be a hard ass type. 
   Saban screams Dan type of hire but I just can’t see Saban giving up the empire he’s built certainly not for this franchise.

13 hours ago, Alexa said:

We need to bring in the best guy, doesn't matter if it's offense or defense. Developing Haskins shouldn't be the priority, getting the right GM and HC is and should be the priority. If that's Gregg Williams or Marvin Lewis so be it. Buffalo has a defensive coach and Josh  Allen seems to be making strides. 

Multiple league sources have pointed to former Chiefs GM Scott Pioli and former Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels as possible candidates there. Jags ownership has long studied New England's success; Pioli and McDaniels have deep Patriots roots, and ownership has been impressed by their work in the past, sources said -- with increasing chatter about them in NFL circles in recent weeks.

2 hours ago, Harriet33 said:

Multiple league sources have pointed to former Chiefs GM Scott Pioli and former Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels as possible candidates there. Jags ownership has long studied New England's success; Pioli and McDaniels have deep Patriots roots, and ownership has been impressed by their work in the past, sources said -- with increasing chatter about them in NFL circles in recent weeks.

I highly doubt either would come to work for Snyder. 

My hope is that a coach who looks at the 'skins and sees Guice, McClaurin, and (maybe) Harmon/Simms on offense and Allen, Payne, Ionadis on D thinks... Okay, I can grow with this team. I can take it somewhere.

You don't want the Redskins to be a total zero (unless that is the only way to ditch Allen)

Archived