Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

5 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I could live with Greg Williams.  Sure theres some baggage that comes along with him but he would at least upgrade our defense.  

I'll take it a step further. Dan is in such dire straits that he should give Gregg Williams full power over football and personnel decisions like the Raiders have done with Gruden. Let Gregg hire his own GM. My only issue with Gregg Williams would be where we find a guy to develop Haskins. If we are committing to DH then we have to go all in on the coaching. This is why I would hire Greg Roman and offer him the same deal I just spoke of with Gregg Williams. Roman is choice A, Bienemy B and then whoever else.....We MUST get a guy in here to develop a QB before I enter an old age home.

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I'll take it a step further. Dan is in such dire straits that he should give Gregg Williams full power over football and personnel decisions like the Raiders have done with Gruden. Let Gregg hire his own GM. My only issue with Gregg Williams would be where we find a guy to develop Haskins. If we are committing to DH then we have to go all in on the coaching. This is why I would hire Greg Roman and offer him the same deal I just spoke of with Gregg Williams. Roman is choice A, Bienemy B and then whoever else.....We MUST get a guy in here to develop a QB before I enter an old age home.

That's why its vital Dan finally wakes up and sends Bruce packing.  I'm afraid nobody on that list will sniff this place until at the very least hes gone.  

Roman is probably my top choice out of all the guys mentioned.  His track record is impressive and even though he's not a national house hold name, I believe he has the ability and know how to build true "culture" at the locker room and field level. 

Williams we are familiar with.  You know what you're getting.  We'll be a lot more of a physical and aggressive team. His success would obviously be dependent on who's running the offense and how long of a leash the FO gives him. I don't see Gregg as a consistent Super Bowl head coach but I do think he is a decent size upgrade from what we've endured 

Snyder is going to have to roll in the Brink's truck for even a mediocre HC hire at this point.  Between the clown show of Bruce and Dan and their disgusting reputation, coupled with practically an entire roster that needs to be retooled, PLUS bringing in a whole new offense that Haskins has to learn and then tutoring him through it PLUS developing, who in their right mind is going to take this job? Yeah, yeah I know it is the NFL, prime opportunity.  Good money.  How many HC's of the Washington Redskins in the Snyder era got another HC gig? I am not talking coordinators.  Danny and Bruce are coach killers.  

40 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Snyder is going to have to roll in the Brink's truck for even a mediocre HC hire at this point.  Between the clown show of Bruce and Dan and their disgusting reputation, coupled with practically an entire roster that needs to be retooled, PLUS bringing in a whole new offense that Haskins has to learn and then tutoring him through it PLUS developing, who in their right mind is going to take this job? Yeah, yeah I know it is the NFL, prime opportunity.  Good money.  How many HC's of the Washington Redskins in the Snyder era got another HC gig? I am not talking coordinators.  Danny and Bruce are coach killers.  

Every time we think like this Danny boy finds a way ($$$$$) to get a reputable coach or strong candidate to take the job. Maybe it's the wine at Morton's steak house? Also, the coordinators that have been here recently have gone on to be good head coaches? 

3 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I don't know why any respectable coach with options would want to come here and work for this burning trash fire of an organization. Would you want to work under Dan and Bruce if you had any other job offers?

Those options being go to a club that plays football, or go to a club that pays you lots of money to do nothing.  I know what I'd choose!

As long as I was getting paid plenty I wouldn't care who I worked under.

55 minutes ago, Skinned Aussie said:

Those options being go to a club that plays football, or go to a club that pays you lots of money to do nothing.  I know what I'd choose!

As long as I was getting paid plenty I wouldn't care who I worked under.

If you are a good coach with options they won’t pick this clown show.   Most likely the Skins will end up with a Tier 2 coach.

It would take a lot more than a couple new coaches. They'd have to clean house on coaches, assistants, front office personnel, scouts, medical staff, and the chef.

That is a lot of people.

But this league is a win-now league, and the present FO personnel and owner has zero patience. Coaches like Reid, Payton, Belichick and others didn't build their teams in one season, it took a few years, and they survived the bumps in the road to become respectable coaches.

Snyder doesn't have patience, and Allen does his dirty work, so no one would be successful.

8 hours ago, skins island connection said:

It would take a lot more than a couple new coaches. They'd have to clean house on coaches, assistants, front office personnel, scouts, medical staff, and the chef.

That is a lot of people.

But this league is a win-now league, and the present FO personnel and owner has zero patience. Coaches like Reid, Payton, Belichick and others didn't build their teams in one season, it took a few years, and they survived the bumps in the road to become respectable coaches.

Snyder doesn't have patience, and Allen does his dirty work, so no one would be successful.

6 years of Gruden and the old no patience myth still lives on. I'd say the Steelers are probably the only team with more patience. 

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

6 years of Gruden and the old no patience myth still lives on. I'd say the Steelers are probably the only team with more patience. 

Dan's impatience based on what some said is the underling types.  But as for GM and HC, Dan has plenty of patience.  Bruce seems to have that position for life no matter how many fans it costs him.  So Dan has plenty of faults but I do agree the HC probably has a long leash -- the more apt question IMO would be does the HC get interfered with where its not a fun ride.   Even for some media types who didn't think highly of Jay as a coach like Sheehan would say Jay's longevity there was partly about he rolled with the punches unlike a Shanny and Dan-Bruce dug that.  And to succeed there, you might need some laidback and "it is what it is" style about how you roll at least in your interactions with the top brass.   Some have said Jay lost his standing with the FO as far back as this off season because he lost his cool some and wasn't rolling with the punches like he once did.

FWIW, on the Junkies this morning Mike Jones from WAPO who was around back when Jay was hired and asked about the Marvin Lewis rumors.  He said Lewis remarked when Jay was hired that he'd never be able to handle things here because of the FO/owner structure.  Lewis was asked if he could handle it and said something like oh yea, I've worked in there and know how to handle that structure.  Then Jones said something like Snyder felt he made a big mistake not hiring Lewis instead of Zorn. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan's impatience based on what some said is the underling types.  But as for GM and HC, Dan has plenty of patience.  Bruce seems to have that position for life no matter how many fans it costs him.  So Dan has plenty of faults but I do agree the HC probably has a long leash -- the more apt question IMO would be does the HC get interfered with where its not a fun ride.   Even for some media types who didn't think highly of Jay as a coach like Sheehan would say Jay's longevity there was partly about he rolled with the punches unlike a Shanny and Dan-Bruce dug that.  And to succeed there, you might need some laidback and "it is what it is" style about how you roll at least in your interactions with the top brass.   Some have said Jay lost his standing with the FO as far back as this off season because he lost his cool some and wasn't rolling with the punches like he once did.

Jay did sign an extension, correct? Couldn't have bothered him that much. My guess is that the way the team responded after alex went down, really set the tone going into the offseason. Which would explain the FO pushing picks on Jay.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW, on the Junkies this morning Mike Jones from WAPO who was around back when Jay was hired and asked about the Marvin Lewis rumors.  He said Lewis remarked when Jay was hired that he'd never be able to handle things here because of the FO/owner structure.  Lewis was asked if he could handle it and said something like oh yea, I've worked in there and know how to handle that structure.  Then Jones said something like Snyder felt he made a big mistake not hiring Lewis instead of Zorn. 

I still think Zorns the lowest point. What a difference it would have made.

11 hours ago, skins island connection said:

But this league is a win-now league, and the present FO personnel and owner has zero patience. 

I don't see the problem as them making knee jerk reactions because they don't have any patience, but more that they remain loyal to the good ole boys network way, way too long.  Haslett, Barry, manusky, Bruce, etc all stayed on longer than they should have.  Maybe gruden too, but he at least offered some hope there for a few years.  Many of these other guys show little to nothing, but somehow have job security year after year.  Then only when fan dissension becomes overwhelming do they make a move in a desparate attempt to appease the fans.  

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd say the Steelers are probably the only team with more patience. 

It's a lot easier to "show patience" when your team is in the playoffs year after year.  It's not hard to make an argument for those Steelers coaches keeping their job.  It's nearly impossible to make an argument for Barry, Haslett, manusky, and Bruce to stay on as long as they have.

4 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I'd have no problem with this. I was thinking of him more as our DC but with his experience as a coach he probably doens't want to take that step back. One thing I'll say is that he has hired good assistants and he has worked here. Him, Rex Ryan, and Jim Caldwell are some re-tread names I'd probably prefer over Gregg Williams. 

Snyder is going to go typical Snyder and go with the splash hire- whoever that guy might be. He's done it before with Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs and Shanahan- and that was when the franchise wasn't nearly in as dire a situation as it is now. With a dwindling fan base by the day and everyone yelling for him to fire Bruce and to sell the team, his history says that his line of thinking will be that his only chance to get some sort of hope and excitement back to the fan base immediately will be to hire a big name. if he's done it before, he certainly is going to do it now. As desperate as he's been before, the current status of the franchise has to have him at a whole new level of desperation. 

And regardless what they say, if Snyder calls, they're going to pick up the phone and listen. Schottenheimer said on air as an ESPN analyst at the time that he would never work for Dan Snyder. A month later he was our new HC. Nobody thought Spurrier would ever leave college for the NFL, because he never really wanted to leave college- he was a college rah-rah guy and loved being a college coach. But Snyder offered him a huge pay day and he bit. Whoever thought Gibbs would come back? Nobody. His name was never even remotely mentioned as our next HC when that hire happened. And surely the ego maniac Mike Shanahan would never come to DC and work for Snyder- yeah right. 

Bottom line is that despite the franchise pretty much at rock bottom right now, it's still one of the storied franchises of the NFL. Snyder has boat loads of money and is willing to pay big. I'm expecting a big name hire- whoever that guy might be.   

It's going to be Harbaugh. Lord Farquaad is looking with envy at how the other Harbaugh has turned Lamar J into MVP material and will want the same treatment for his choice Haskins.

And he will give Harblah full control over personnel, which will provide him with the excuse for exorcising Brucifer and banishing him back to the sheep pit.

You read it here first.

#princeofdimness

#brucifer

#bruceallenlickstoes

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Gibbs spoke highly of Dan as an owner when he coached under him, said Dan gave him everything he asked for. Granted, it was Gibbs (God) and there was no Bruce to contend with but he seemed to be along the lines of what you're saying. Spurrier was given so much money with so little interest in the job that he took laid back to an extreme level of near sleep or comatose.

3 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

It would have been hard for Snyder to hire Marvin Lewis instead of Zorn.

He'd already been the Bengals HC for several season.

Jones was talking about should have hired him back when he had Marvin Lewis as a DC under Spurrier.

5 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

It's going to be Harbaugh. Lord Farquaad is looking with envy at how the other Harbaugh has turned Lamar J into MVP material and will want the same treatment for his choice Haskins.

And he will give Harblah full control over personnel, which will provide him with the excuse for exorcising Brucifer and banishing him back to the sheep pit.

I would have loved harbaugh a few years ago, and he is probably the best we can hope for, but I can't get over his recent numbers: 

~0-4 against Ohio State
~1-9 vs. top-10 opponents
~0-7 as an underdog
~1-6 on the road against ranked opponents

as of 9/21/19

thats a pretty terrible track record in big games.  And it's not like he is coaching Appalachian state, he has a big-time program with a ton of talent.  And he can be abrasive, not sure he and Danny could live with each other.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-wolverines/these-jim-harbaugh-stats-following-michigans-loss-are-brutal/amp

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Having little patience and firing a coach every 2 years are different.

But if they didn't catch all hell for it, they would be going through coaches and assistants like water.  But they hire people who are subordinate to them; this is part of the problem, no one calls it like it is, they kinda roll with the punches and deal with problems and move on, not calling out the FO or owner when needed. So if you call that patience the yes they are over-patient.

Archived