Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

One thing I agreed with @Voice_of_Reason as for Jay was him overdoing the first down runs, looks like Callahan is doubling down big on that tactic.   I don't love the comments about how they hung with SF, Minny.  it reminds me of 2014 when the team was talking up about hanging with Seattle on MNF and they weren't blown out -- suggesting it was a moral victory of some kind.

Since when is the team that pathetic that we got to tout just hanging for awhile with two teams who weren't even in the playoffs last year, one of those teams had the 2nd pick in this year's draft.  Yet, at least we are hanging in games like that's an accomplishment?  Is the bar that low?  I get running the clock down limits the opponent's scoring but it also limits ours.    So I can celebrate ball control as much as the next guy if they result in wins.  But I am not celebrating the loses just because the opponent doesn't run up the score.   

We haven't scored a touchdown in the last 2 games and the game before that we barely can score against at the time a team giving up 40 points a game.  

I said last week am back and forth on Callahan.   The sample size is still small so am keeping an open mind.  But for the moment I am not blown away.  :(  

I just want to point out the statistic on Jay running on first down is way understated. I went through drive by drive the breakdown in the GHH run the damn ball thread, but the only reason the numbers for Gruden were even as balanced as they were is because of a lot of passes after games were already decided or in 2 minute situations.

When the games were competent, Jay was about 70% run.

The reason Callahan has the higher static is because the Skins haven’t been blown out and they haven’t had to pass.  Which, I guess is progress? 

What just doesn’t compute to me is the one year Callahan has success as a HC in all of his times as HC, and when he coached a Raiders team to the SB, that was a pass first team.  Gannon passed for 4500 yards, which was more impressive in 2002, and won NFL MVP.  And I remember a comment during a Raiders game that season that “Callahan was going to let Gamnon throw for 4000 5 yards at a time.”  They were super committed to the WCO quick game and concepts.  

Then when he went to Nebraska, the entire state converted from the wishbone to WCO to prepare HS players for Callahan’s offense. 

I get him wanting to set a tone and culture, and play tough football, however it’s somewhat surprising that he’s gone from being pretty committed to the short passing game to running all the time.  

I don’t know if Bill is a better coach than Jay. If he had been the coach all season, would the team be better?  Maybe. Marginally.  

But choosing between them is kindof like choosing between being hung or shot.  Both end badly...

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One thing I agreed with @Voice_of_Reason as for Jay was him overdoing the first down runs, looks like Callahan is doubling down big on that tactic.   I don't love the comments about how they hung with SF, Minny.  it reminds me of 2014 when the team was talking up about hanging with Seattle on MNF and they weren't blown out -- suggesting it was a moral victory of some kind.

Of course Calahan is going to run more he's the guy behind Grudens running the ball in the first place. Remember 2014 when Gruden never ran the ball?

Then in 2015 Bruce brought in one of his guys from the past and all of a sudden Gruden is running the ball on first down, which was a good idea to a point but lol, yeah 2ypc running a running scheme that doesn't fit his offense. Had to have been pushed on him by Dan and Bruce, dude should have just quit but Money, Money, Money.

That is what Dan and Bruce Excel at. Throwing a monkey wrench into things. Not even mentioning them getting nobody worthwhile on offense. But at least Bruce got Calahan and then Manusky.  😋

I can just imagine the conversation with Jay when the FO pushed those guys on him and look who is still here?

One is clearly a Bruce guy and the other a Redskins player from the SB years. Had to be a Dan nostalgia move.

Just fire the coach next time instead of trying to run the team for him. But part of the front is that Dan isn't meddling. Which is obvious horse****. 💩

Coach Cal has me really wondering how you know somebody's going to be a good coach. I'm not too impressed with the on the field product I'm seeing right now, but I am liking the small things - the press conferences, refs at practice, harder practices, etc. What does that mean? I don't know really but I think that the Bruce-ism "culture" is important. For a vet team its one thing to expect players to already know these things, but when you have as many players on their first contract as we do, I think its important to make sure that we're installing that discipline in them. Last year when DJ was complaining about the coaches and stuff, I didn't like that he was saying it but I wondered how many other people were saying the same things behind closed doors. 

So aside from the Xs and Os, I just want somebody who can do these little things. In my mind that's more than likely a defensive coach. That said we saw Singletary do these things in SF and what did it do for them? Honestly if we start to see anything similar to a Shotty type turnaround for this team, then I'd have no problem with Cal being the coach next year, but its gotta translate to wins. After the Miami game I said we don't lose half points for beating bad teams and we don't get half points for losing to good teams. Its still wins and losses. And for all the talk I'm doing about small things, I think its easier to keep players doing the small things if they can see on gameday that those things are paying off. 

My guess is they are going to go all out for Urban Meyer.  And the only thing that will stop them is Urban himself.  However, smart people with good football instincts in the past have been lured by Snyder's $$ (Schottenheimer, Gibbs, and Shanahan).  They want Meyer because Bruce Allen has probably already made his large vision pitch to Daniel Snyder for 2020.  And Snyder likes it.  And that's why Bruce Allen is still here and if they get Urban Meyer he will stay here.   With Meyer recently saying he would coach in the NFL (Dallas), this has probably got Dan at full attention.   Also, note the time period.  Whenever washington has been at its extreme low moments, that is when the team hires a major name (not an assistant coach).   after 2003 came Joe Gibbs and after 2009 came Shanahan.  After 2007, by the way, was NOT a low moment and that's when you get the low marketing appeal guy like a Jim Zorn.  They are in a high marketing situation now.  Which means expect a big name like Meyer.  The pitch from Bruce to Snyder goes like this, in Bruce's voice:

1.  " This is washington, dc and we are the redskins and we need somebody to get the fans riled up for.   Kevin Oconnell doesnt do it, Bill Callahan certainly doesnt do it, and either does any assistant coach in the league or soon-to-be fired head coach.  But Urban Meyer does."    Dan loves that stuff.  Dan gets excited for shiny objects.  And Urban Meyer is a shiny object that he can sell.  He cant market Freddie Kitchens, for example, Kevin Sheehan.  

2.  A big part of Bruce's pitch to Dan is actually Alex Smith.  Read the tea leaves.   There is a reason why this team will not trade any player of value.  They will dump Josh Norman if they can because they know they are cutting him in the offseason.  Bruce has always thought that 2018 6-3 (what would have been 6-4 start) with Alex was better than it was.  Us smart people know it was actually worse than what it was.   Part of Bruce's overall vision for the Skins is Alex Smith.   Bruce wants Alex Smith QB'ing the Redskins in 2020 and there's already rumors along with video to support this.  Bruce thinks if he can keep most of the parts together for 2020 and bring back Alex, they can get back to being a playoff contender.  (I, of course, think this is an absurd idea).  And who once upon a time coached Alex Smith to great college success?  Urban Meyer.

3.  The other part of Bruce's big plan is they will say to each other Dwayne is a long-term project.  Let's get his college coach here and a mentor like Alex Smith back in the lineup.  Dwayne can take extra time (another year) to learn and have a big believer in him in his coach, Meyer.  This whole plan, is of course, the plan of idiots.  And that's why I know it's what they are thinking.  Only thing stopping it is USC and Urban Meyer himself but Snyder will attempt to outbid the college and give Meyer the type of control he once gave Shanahan (which seemed like a lot at the time until it wasnt).  

1 hour ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

My guess is they are going to go all out for Urban Meyer.  And the only thing that will stop them is Urban himself.  However, smart people with good football instincts in the past have been lured by Snyder's $$ (Schottenheimer, Gibbs, and Shanahan).  They want Meyer because Bruce Allen has probably already made his large vision pitch to Daniel Snyder for 2020.  And Snyder likes it.  And that's why Bruce Allen is still here and if they get Urban Meyer he will stay here.   With Meyer recently saying he would coach in the NFL (Dallas), this has probably got Dan at full attention.   Also, note the time period.  Whenever washington has been at its extreme low moments, that is when the team hires a major name (not an assistant coach).   after 2003 came Joe Gibbs and after 2009 came Shanahan.  After 2007, by the way, was NOT a low moment and that's when you get the low marketing appeal guy like a Jim Zorn.  They are in a high marketing situation now.  Which means expect a big name like Meyer.  The pitch from Bruce to Snyder goes like this, in Bruce's voice:

1.  " This is washington, dc and we are the redskins and we need somebody to get the fans riled up for.   Kevin Oconnell doesnt do it, Bill Callahan certainly doesnt do it, and either does any assistant coach in the league or soon-to-be fired head coach.  But Urban Meyer does."    Dan loves that stuff.  Dan gets excited for shiny objects.  And Urban Meyer is a shiny object that he can sell.  He cant market Freddie Kitchens, for example, Kevin Sheehan.  

2.  A big part of Bruce's pitch to Dan is actually Alex Smith.  Read the tea leaves.   There is a reason why this team will not trade any player of value.  They will dump Josh Norman if they can because they know they are cutting him in the offseason.  Bruce has always thought that 2018 6-3 (what would have been 6-4 start) with Alex was better than it was.  Us smart people know it was actually worse than what it was.   Part of Bruce's overall vision for the Skins is Alex Smith.   Bruce wants Alex Smith QB'ing the Redskins in 2020 and there's already rumors along with video to support this.  Bruce thinks if he can keep most of the parts together for 2020 and bring back Alex, they can get back to being a playoff contender.  (I, of course, think this is an absurd idea).  And who once upon a time coached Alex Smith to great college success?  Urban Meyer.

3.  The other part of Bruce's big plan is they will say to each other Dwayne is a long-term project.  Let's get his college coach here and a mentor like Alex Smith back in the lineup.  Dwayne can take extra time (another year) to learn and have a big believer in him in his coach, Meyer.  This whole plan, is of course, the plan of idiots.  And that's why I know it's what they are thinking.  Only thing stopping it is USC and Urban Meyer himself but Snyder will attempt to outbid the college and give Meyer the type of control he once gave Shanahan (which seemed like a lot at the time until it wasnt).  

I think the next coach is definitely tied to Haskins.  Could be Meyer as you make a good point about Smith and Meyer being his HC at Utah.  Smith sitting in the stands with Snyder.  I have seen tweets where Skin beat reporters have mentioned that Meyer will be consulted by Snyder.  Will be an interesting offseason.

2 hours ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

I don't know about Alex Smith part but I do believe that Bruce thinks, 2019 is an aberration.  The team is closer to the 6-3 start of 2018.  He's dead wrong.  This team will still have double digit losses next year.  Urban may listen to Dan's offer but he's not going to touch this job. 

Bruce Allen press conference, March 7, 2020 (after being spurned by the first ten coaches he interviewed):

"Head coach? Why do we need to hire a head coach? We already have one. His name is Billy Callahan. Perhaps you've heard of him, he led the Texans to the Super Bowl in 2001. When you're THIS CLOSE, you don't want to mess things up."

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Bruce Allen press conference, March 7, 2020 (after being spurned by the first ten coaches he interviewed):

"Head coach? Why do we need to hire a head coach? We already have one. He led a team to the Super Bowl, his name is Mike Callahan. When you're THIS CLOSE, you don't want to mess things up."

There is more truth to this than you'll ever know...

On 10/25/2019 at 7:31 PM, SkinsFTW said:

Of course Calahan is going to run more he's the guy behind Grudens running the ball in the first place. Remember 2014 when Gruden never ran the ball?

Actually the trend of running the ball on every first down started in the Minnesota game in 2014.  It was a Griffin start, and that is the first time I really noticed it.  

On 10/26/2019 at 9:02 AM, FrFan said:

Ok, I'm all about beating up Snyder and Allen, but this is a bit much.  McVay was the TE coach when Mike was fired, Kyle was fired along with Mike, and wouldn't have taken the HC job his father was fired from, and if memory serves, wasn't LaFleur the QB coach or something?

No, the time to make the change was in 2016 after it was absolutely crystal clear to anybody with a pair of eyes who has been paying attention to NFL football for more than a minute that Jay Gruden didn't have "it."  The decision to hire Joe Barry, and then completely flop down the stretch with a dynamic offense, and then one of the worst regular season losses in franchise history in week 17 should have been the end of Jay's tenure as a HC.  Then they could have promoted McVay, who was the OC at the time.  

On 10/26/2019 at 10:53 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

IF Bruce is still here, then I don't want any good coach to take this job.  Let Dan be stuck having to hire Rex Ryan or keep Bill.  As long as Bruce is here, the Skins don't deserve a quality coach.    Keep the **** show going. 

There isn't a good coach who will come here with Bruce in place as President of the Redskins with control over football operations.  Unless they come and are assured they get personnel power which would be written into the contract.  Which Dan HAS done before.  Three times: Marty, Gibbs, Shanahanan.  

But that's the only way.  

Otherwise it's going to be some retread bozo, maybe with Tampa or Raiders connection to Bruce, and will be basically Jay Gruden 2.0. Callahan is essentially a more communicative Jay Gruden with a little more attention to detail.  @Skinsinparadise likes to bring up Raheem Morris.  Who is Jay Gruden.  They are exactly the same guy.  Probably let Bruce and Dan do what they want, and will be average at best.  As an interesting aside on Morris, while his overall record is worse than Jay's, he did actually have a 10-6 team. So, maybe that's the upside Bruce can sell?  (In case you couldn't catch the sarcasm, I don't want any piece of Raheem Morris.  Just saying that anybody Bruce picks will be a Jay Gruden clone. ie: a bad coach. )

The best bet is that Dan falls in love with some coach and HAS to have them.  And will literally do anything to get them.  And that will include getting rid of Bruce, at least from the football ops.  That's the ONLY way we don't have a suck coach next year.  

On 10/26/2019 at 11:40 AM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Do we really need Cavanaugh ?

Have we ever needed Cavanaugh?  Has Cavanaugh ever done anything?  Does anybody know?

20 hours ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

Good post, lots of good reasons why Meyer could be the guy. How would Meyer and Bruce work together? Is Meyer the right fit for Haskins as DH has a long way to go fundamentally from what it appears? You would think any coach would be excited to coach up the talent we have on defense and potentially on offense. The big question would be how would Meyer do going from college to pro? I would be skeptical....

7 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Good post, lots of good reasons why Meyer could be the guy. How would Meyer and Bruce work together? Is Meyer the right fit for Haskins as DH has a long way to go fundamentally from what it appears? You would think any coach would be excited to coach up the talent we have on defense and potentially on offense. The big question would be how would Meyer do going from college to pro? I would be skeptical....

If Urban wants to be reunited with a former Buckeye, it would be Ezekiel Elliot.   Cowboys are far closer to championship than the Skins are.  

I think we need to be prepared mentally for a lot of this.

@BoycottEuphemisticFans has similar thoughts on the trajectory of this franchise as I do as far as their plans. There are reasons that Allen isn't moving on some of these guys. The first is that he wants to have a team around that he thinks can be competitive immediately. Inherently, there is plenty wrong with that logic (one big thing is that I'm not sure that we have that team even on paper). He sees Reuben Foster on the shelf, a second year ILB in Holcomb, Dunbar, Moreland, Collins, Payne, Ion, Allen, Kerrigan and Sweat (which could mean that he would pass Chase Young even if available). He sees Haskins developing as the long term QB (our head coach hire will tell us if the Skins look to QB in the first round), Alex Smith (yes, I think he's in the plans and even as a guy who is firmly in Smith's corner for what he did for the franchise I'm not behind that move). He sees Guice and Love. He sees McLaurin and possibly a rookie WR. He sees Williams on the roster or traded this offseason. He sees Vernon Davis as a stop gap TE if they can't find a better one hanging around. I don't think he's paying much attention to the line, but he could be.

Basically, he thinks this team will be healthy and competitive next year. And I wouldn't be surprised if they were targeting a guy like Jeudy in the draft. The problem is: I don't think he sees how injury prone this roster is.

Granted, all of this is conjecture. But it falls in the lines of possible logic for why the team hasn't done what many of us believe that they should be doing. 

The first domino to fall is the head coach hire.

I'd be shocked if Tua fell to us in the draft, but if he does we have an interesting dilemma. Granted if he falls, Young wouldn't be there I don't think. But either one of those guys are a tremendous boon. But I really think that Jeudy or Okudah are going to be the target based on the current trajectory. And I truly hope I'm wrong about who the FO is targetting. 

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Basically, he thinks this team will be healthy and competitive next year. And I wouldn't be surprised if they were targeting a guy like Jeudy in the draft. The problem is: I don't think he sees how injury prone this roster is.

He's dead wrong.  I do believe, he thinks we are closer to the 6-3 start of last year. Injuries took away last year. This year was on Gruden. 

He feels the right puppet, coach and the Skins will bounce back.

So, I fully expect Bruce to make moves accordingly.   

This team isn't close to anything and really needs to be torn down and built the right way.  That will never happen.

Recently we signed another Alabama player who is a tight end -  Hale Hentges .

I figured out the grand plan now from Snyder and Allen.   During the off season they are going to pick another 10-12 current or former Alabama players

and then go to Nick Saban and offer him more money than he is currently making and sign him to a ten year contract.

Archived