Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

7 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

This will be doubtless get laughed out of town, not least from the reactionary among our number if we get beat later today, but I just have a feeling on Callahan yanno the more he speaks and puts his words into actions.

Dudes a good one and I'll leave any more thoughts on the future there. 

Hail. 

No.  I have a feeling, he's just an interim coach and nothing more.

This is why canning Jay in season was pointless, IMO.   Should've either done it last off season, or waited this one out.  

I mean the guy hasn't commanded a pro football team in almost 20 years.  His time in Oakland, corresponded with us having Spurrier, lol.  

47 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Our offense is averaging like about 10 points a game.

And people think the answer is to promote our offensive coordinator to HC, as if he's automatically the next McVay ?

Yeah, and I thought our offense with Alex last year was boring and low scoring. They looked like the 2007 Pats compared to this. 

i sincerely hope Urban Meyer is the next Dallas head coach.  He could do for them what "the ole ball coach" did for the Redskins.  I would love seeing him continually near death every time things weren't going well, but miraculously healed to take credit when things were going well.

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

"Both Shanahans have coached in multiple cities. The dysfunction they jointly experienced in D.C. still lingers with them, six years later. That’s something every candidate for the coaching job there needs to keep in mind." Link

The Skins job will be the least attractive job available.  Only those desperate to get back into coaching, like Rex Ryan; will be interested.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:28 AM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

This will be doubtless get laughed out of town, not least from the reactionary among our number if we get beat later today, but I just have a feeling on Callahan yanno the more he speaks and puts his words into actions.

Hail. 

Look. We are going to be breaking that 10 point barrier any day now. After that, it's 15 and then to the heavens themselves.

I'm totally with you on Team Callahan. 50 carries a game or bust!!

If this team wants to win, it should not only look at getting a competent head coach, but also spending considerable sums to get the absolute best coordinators and position coaches. I certainly would never hire a coach that has a list of buddies on their short list of potential staff. They’d need to have extensive track records. I’m going to say something potentially controversial- Sean McVay isn’t all that special. He does, however, have some very seasoned coaches under him.

I've always had a hard time believing that coaches have any real effect on game outcome. The guys on the field need to execute whatever play is called regardless so it should be the players who are more important. But this year our D just screams bad coaching. How does a team with at least 1 (Payne) if not 2 (Settle) legit Nose tackles, excellent DEs and rush linebackers, an All Pro SS and at least 1 (Dunbar) and maybe 2 (Norman) high-end CBs look this bad? I get that we have holes at MLB and FS but...wow. How is this possible? Its like every talented player from 2018 just aged 10 years prior to stepping on the field in 2019. 

We need a great, old school, D-oriented head coach to take over this team. I know it is folly to agree IN ANY WAY that this team is "close" but it just blows my mind that this D with so many elite athletes is getting constantly abused. I wanted to think it was just that out schedule was outrageous and filled with elite teams...but the Fins and Giants? Sheesh

I am not a Harbaugh guy except for I do like the dynamic of him not being able to co-exist with Bruce.  If he can't deal with the SF FO imagine here?  And we won't have to play Ohio State. 

19 hours ago, alwaysaskin said:

Might as well hire Rex and get it over with. They’ll still suck but Rex will be entertaining 

I am actually not against Rex considering some of the other HC prospect names I hear.    Agree, he at least has some personality and he'd bring some fun to a generally boring team aside from the negativity centering on the FO dysfunction.   for his faults, he's a good X and O's guy on defense. 

14 hours ago, LastMortal2 said:

I've always had a hard time believing that coaches have any real effect on game outcome. The guys on the field need to execute whatever play is called regardless so it should be the players who are more important. But this year our D just screams bad coaching. How does a team with at least 1 (Payne) if not 2 (Settle) legit Nose tackles, excellent DEs and rush linebackers, an All Pro SS and at least 1 (Dunbar) and maybe 2 (Norman) high-end CBs look this bad? I get that we have holes at MLB and FS but...wow. How is this possible? Its like every talented player from 2018 just aged 10 years prior to stepping on the field in 2019. 

We need a great, old school, D-oriented head coach to take over this team. I know it is folly to agree IN ANY WAY that this team is "close" but it just blows my mind that this D with so many elite athletes is getting constantly abused. I wanted to think it was just that out schedule was outrageous and filled with elite teams...but the Fins and Giants? Sheesh

I'd argue that coaching always matters.

But some define coaching in a tight bubble - "this guy calls the plays and decides the personnel packages."

This is untrue and a small part.

First, let me state that the minutia matters less at lower levels and more at the upper levels. Where as general scheme matters more at the lower levels and less at the higher levels. 

That's the level in which the coaches are making less money than the players.

But focusing on the NFL... It's the little things that matter. I'm going to start by talking about Bill Belichick. And probably talk a lot about him as he is the gold standard at the moment. At the NFL level, it's not just about Xs and Os. It's about getting these high paid guys to fall in line with a system and for them to embrace the idea of team. When someone is getting paid millions and millions, that's a difficult bubble to keep everyone in. So it starts with the little things.

You have to prove you know what you're talking about on the field. You have to surround yourself with coaches that aren't yes men, but buy into the overall vision. That isn't exactly an easy task. 

You have to meticulously study film. In high school, it's kind of easy to spot a fish (term for a guy you're going to attack). It jumps out. In the NFL it does sometimes, but other times its something as simple as seeing that player X takes a 2inch step instead of a six inch step when he steps inside to protect his gap in punt protection, so if we attack closer to the other linemen, who never checks backside, we'll create opportunities. And then doing that for every player on the other team. 

Finding schematic weaknesses. We should know about those, teams pick us apart on a routine basis. 

Now, that stuff is important in the NFL, but there's a lot that people don't think about... How do you discipline a millionaire? What are the little things you do to keep guys happy?

For example, I was listening to the Ryen Russilo podcast with Chris Long this morning. Long was talking about how awful plane rides can be with some teams. After games, coaches sit in first class and the players, who just got beat up, are squeezed into seats in coach. He said that the Patriots don't do that. Belichick puts his older, veteran guys, guys who are important to team success, in first class and he goes back and sits in coach with the younger guys and other coaches.

That's something that players see. And then they buy into a system. 

There's a reason why Gibbs has been successful. He wasn't great his second tenure here... But he was able to succeed despite the fact that the game had passed him by a little bit because the guys believed in him, liked what he was doing, and knew that he had a very significant knowledge of football, even if dated.

But that also ties in the front office. Some coaches get hamstrung by their bosses. Others don't. But all of that factors into coaching.

At the NFL level, roster/asset management is among the most important things for a franchise. In terms of who plays, facilities, travel arrangements, etc. 

But to say coaching doesn't matter is a bit asinine. 

The Patriots excel in special teams. And I'm willing to bet you a giant shiny coin that a big reason is Belichick is fishing all week long looking for weaknesses and then they attack them.

Players will always be a driving force... Whether its due to their fit within the system, their total skill level, or whatever the case may be. And that's kind of the case all the way up the ladder and down the ladder.

But to think that it doesn't effect the outcome is one of the strangest takes I've seen.

@thesubmittedone has covered this coaching topic in great detail over the years and I respect the work he’s put into it.  Unfortunately, some take a hyperbolic stance against it, making it out as if he’s saying coaches don’t matter.

Coaches absolutely matter, however if they aren’t in unison with the GM and ownership, they don’t have much of a chance.  That’s an issue that has been prevalent here since Snyder bought the team.  Some may argue that wasn’t the case with Gibbs, but I think the issue with Gibbs was the fact that we didn’t have a legit GM to steer him in the right direction from a draft, trade and free agency perspective.  Great coach but far from a great personnel guy.  He would have benefitted greatly from having a seasoned pro as a GM to navigate the salary cap era, while having what Gibbs was trying to accomplish as a coach at front of mind.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:28 AM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail. 

Turn off the lights when you're done with this ridiculous nonsense.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:28 AM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail. 

I think Im gonna take a hard pass on the offensive geniuses 8 PPG.

Archived