Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Do I think that a team built around say a Guice as the main weapon with little passing attack will be a super bowl threat? Nah. But do I think that that same team led by an Alex Smith or a Kirk Cousins or a Case Keenum or a Colt McCoy or a Dwayne Haskins can be a playoff threat? Yep I sure do.

Maybe I am misreading your point but it almost comes off defeatist to me on one front -- we are the Redskins so we don't do franchise QBs so our best way to win is to go alternative and do the Gibbs style ride Portis to the playoffs in a 9-7 season, etc.  If we are talking about it in that context which is we continue to have mediocre QBs (I don't think Kirk is just mediocre but agree he's the type who feeds off of play action) then this is our best shot.  I agree if I am looking at it from that context.

But I am optimistic we can eventually find that elusive franchise QB.  And if we do, Marty ball isn't what I'd want to play.  But yeah for a dude like Alex Smith, absolutely, its your best shot to be decent albeit nothing special. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe I am misreading your point but it almost comes off defeatist to me on one front -- we are the Redskins so we don't do franchise QBs so our best way to win is to go alternative and do the Gibbs style ride Portis to the playoffs in a 9-7 season, etc.  If we are talking about it in that context which is we continue to have mediocre QBs (I don't think Kirk is just mediocre but agree he's the type who feeds off of play action) then this is our best shot.  I agree if I am looking at it from that context.

But I am optimistic we can eventually find that elusive franchise QB.  And if we do, Marty ball isn't what I'd want to play.  But yeah for a dude like Alex Smith, absolutely, its your best shot to be decent albeit nothing special. 

Its not about what I want so to speak, its about whats more likely. We had a chance at Russell Wilson, but chose Cousins. One is a guy who can be an NFL MVP and put a team on his back, the other isn't. But if we have a QB who's not an NFL MVP, what do we do to get a winning season?  I'm just saying that if we're playing a QB who's not top 10, why should we expect them to carry the team? Its not like a Brunell, or a Keenum or a Cousins or a Smith or a Brad Johnson or a <insert random  middle of the pack QB here> can't win games, its that I want to win while we have them at QB and not just have a tank for whoever the next great college QB is philosophy. 

Maybe I'm being defeatist, I never self-analyzed to that level. I just see it as putting together a gameplan based on what we have (and what we're likely to have), and I can see a much more feasible situation where say we lose AP, Guice and Love, but pull a RB off the street and he's getting us 100 yards than us losing Smith, McCoy and Sanchez and still being able to throw the ball.

So then it gets to injuries aside and we say, what do I need to make Haskins a good QB. Maybe he'll be a Rodgers and set the league on fire. But should I expect that? I wouldn't. So I'd say what's the best environment for him to become comfortable as a passer? I'm probably going to do something like Pitt did with Roethlisberger and Bettis, and lean on Bettis and Willie Parker until I know that Haskins can carry the load. 

Edit: @Skinsinparadise, just so you know. i'm not trying to be dismissive or rude in my replies. This board has been so negative lately that this is actually a breath of fresh air when compared to all the Trent / Haskins is or is not a bust / leaks / real vs fake fans stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So then it gets to injuries aside and we say, what do I need to make Haskins a good QB. Maybe he'll be a Rodgers and set the league on fire. But should I expect that? I wouldn't. So I'd say what's the best environment for him to become comfortable as a passer? I'm probably going to do something like Pitt did with Roethlisberger and Bettis, and lean on Bettis and Willie Parker until I know that Haskins can carry the load. 

I hear you and you might be right but how long can this organization go without finding a big time QB?  You'd think the QB gods bail us out eventually?  😀  

Whoever does the hiring, we need to actually have a coaching search.  Interview several candidates before getting the right guy.  That's something the Skins have rarely done under Snyder.

Jan. 2001-  I don't remember if there was a coaching search to replace Norv.  All I remember was being surprised Marty got the job, especially after he said he could never work for someone like Dan.

Jan. 2002- There was no search to replace the fired Marty.  Everyone knew Dan has his sights set on getting Spurrier. 

Jan. 2004- Dan actually did a coaching search but he was hoping his surprise pick would take the job.  Gibbs did take it.

Jan. 2008- They did a coaching search. Fassell was rumored to get the job but fan resistance squashed that. Vinny gave the job to Zorn.

Jan. 2010- There was no search. Everyone knew Shanny had the gig.

Jan. 2014- There was no search. Yeah, we interviewed a minority to comply with Rooney rule but everyone knew we were waiting for  Gruden.

Jan. 2020-  The team needs to interview several people.

****ing disaster, we already made sure to pre-spurn a guy who will be a hot candidate...and we had the foresight to do it in 2014. 

Idiots. Hopefully we fire Bruce and all that awkwardness, and much more like it, can be blamed on him. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Roman was a hot name when he was in SF, then cooled off, guess some think he's a hot name again

Good info, SIP.  You can count out Roman, I believe.  Inept F.O..  They probably go KOC as HC.  Don't want that but probably how they roll and wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them go Rob Ryan as DC.  I want neither but wouldn't surprise me especially if Allen is retained.  

On 11/12/2019 at 10:11 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

****ing disaster, we already made sure to pre-spurn a guy who will be a hot candidate...and we had the foresight to do it in 2014. 

Idiots. Hopefully we fire Bruce and all that awkwardness, and much more like it, can be blamed on him. 

Yeah it sadly fits the lack of class narrative that runs about the FO.   Roman sounds intriguing.  But making him prepare for an interview, not letting him know the interview was cancelled and or informing him they hired Jay -- I can get why he wouldn't love that. 

Revolutionizing an NFL offense is right in Greg Roman's wheelhouse

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Michael Christianson isn’t completely sold on Greg Roman as an offensive coordinator. That’s because he thinks the Ravens’ new offensive coordinator could be an even better defensive coordinator.

“He understands defenses so well,” Christianson said. “He could make a play and create five or six plays out of it just buy a simple look or a simple tweak, whatever our formations were. He was able to see something that a lot of people just missed.”

Christianson, an offensive assistant with Roman in San Francisco from 2011-2013, saw firsthand the last time Roman was on the cutting edge of NFL offenses. 

With Jim Harbaugh as head coach, the 49ers were one of the first teams to utilize the read option at the NFL. Of the top four rushing teams in the NFL in 2012, three of them had some of the league’s most mobile quarterbacks and ran the read option. The 49ers placed fourth behind Seattle, Washington and Minnesota. 

“For us, we got [Colin Kaepernick] in there, we had to do something to see what we could do to exploit his athletic ability and do the things he was good at,” Christianson said. “We were pretty fortunate, most of the teams hadn’t seen something like that yet.”

The NFL was slowly catching up to the amateur ranks, where read option schemes were commonplace across most conferences. Roman’s offense was one of the first teams to bring that look to the NFL.

In the following two years, his offenses placed third and fourth in rushing. In 2015 in Buffalo, the Bills placed first. And last season, the Ravens were second in the NFL — and first after Lamar Jackson took over at quarterback. 

“It’s really about how you disguise things, how you present them, how you get in and out of plays in certain situations,” Christianson said. “For Greg, he’s phenomenal at that. He really understands the big picture.”

One of the things that he noted Roman excels at is his ability to be a teacher. With a Ravens roster that has a second-year quarterback, two rookie wide receivers, two second-year tight ends and a host of other newcomers, the Ravens will need to learn and adapt on the fly.

“That’s what Greg does really well, getting people to understand why you’re doing what you’re doing,” Christianson said. “Rather than go up and draw circles and lines on a board, Greg is really good at saying, ‘This is the scheme, this is the thought process, this is what we’re expecting to get.’”

There are some concerns of some, however, about what kind of step forward Jackson can take in his second-year as a starter. Those concerns aren’t in the Ravens practice facility.

Baltimore's offense has bought into Roman’s scheme wholeheartedly, which has helped with whatever learning curve Roman has had to teach.

“He’s very intense, he wants to emphasize the run game, getting after people, and the pass game as well,” Ravens center Matt Skura said. “He always puts a big emphasis on the offensive line, making sure we’re physical, we’re on our tasks as far as who we’re blocking. He’s just always on-point.”

In San Francisco, Roman led a 49ers offense that complimented the run game excellently. From 2012-14, Kaepernick posted QB Ratings of 98.3, 91.6 and 86.4.

Any concerns about Jackson’s throwing ability, at least when it comes to Roman’s past, should be tempered.

“That’s what we did real well to complement the run game,” said Geep Chryst, the 49ers quarterbacks coach from 2011-14. “Over a four-year period, the quarterback’s rating was in the top 10 in the league.”

Ranking the NFL's top offensive play-callers

GREG ROMAN, BALTIMORE RAVENS

We saw the Lamar Jackson offense on display during Sunday Night Football, and Greg Roman deserves a lot of credit for this offense’s effectiveness. In terms of creativity and uniqueness, it’s difficult to find an offense as varied as Baltimore’s, and this allows them to have success despite a relatively high designed run rate. Against New England Sunday night, the Ravens ran the ball on 40 of 67 offensive plays but picked up 124 rushing yards before contact against the league’s highest-ranked defense. If all of the negative things said about Jackson were actually true, one could argue that these yards are a substitute for poor passing on early downs…

Luckily for the Ravens, Jackson is far better than what the naysayers thought.  One of our biggest concerns going into the season was his fumbling and inaccuracy, and he’s improved mightily in these areas. Jackson is currently in the middle of the pack in our adjusted completion percentage (74.5), one spot ahead of Mahomes, which is more than enough accuracy to complement what he can do with his legs. One of the reasons he’s been so effective is the number of targets he’s allocating to tight ends (44%, highest in the NFL), which we’ve shown to be the most-efficient targets in the NFL, and another feather in the cap for Roman as one of the league’s greatest offensive minds.   

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-the-nfls-top-offensive-play-callers-2019

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I want Young really bad and have no interest in a QB, but this seems like itd be good

Agreed. Young is definitely #1 on my wishlist but that might change in the next few weeks depending on Haskins develops.  I read on Facebook that we are sending folks to Kapernicks workout.  I honestly don't know how I feel about that. Personally I don't want the guy because I don't think he was ever that good, but what does that say about how the FO feels about Haskins? Are they no longer confident Haskins is the quarterback of the future and since Bruce thinks we're close that by signing kapernick hes the answer to all our problems.  Sounds silly I know but with this FO anything is possible except for anything that makes sense.   To stay on topic though,  if Haskins doesn't show some sort of improvement and growth in the back end of this season then Tua will probably be my #1 

11 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Agreed. Young is definitely #1 on my wishlist but that might change in the next few weeks depending on Haskins develops.  I read on Facebook that we are sending folks to Kapernicks workout.  I honestly don't know how I feel about that. Personally I don't want the guy because I don't think he was ever that good, but what does that say about how the FO feels about Haskins? Are they no longer confident Haskins is the quarterback of the future and since Bruce thinks we're close that by signing kapernick hes the answer to all our problems.  Sounds silly I know but with this FO anything is possible except for anything that makes sense.   To stay on topic though,  if Haskins doesn't show some sort of improvement and growth in the back end of this season then Tua will probably be my #1 

Kaep would be a great QB for Roman.

45 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

That above stat from 2014 makes me think differently, (ranked #22) with Kaep under Roman. Plus, I HATE Kaeps message more than I dislike Bruce (and that's a lot)

I agree. Police should be allowed to illegally kill black men. Amirite? Gtfo with that BS. 

Like an onion article "team with racist name doesn't like QB bringing awareness to police brutality on minorities".

They only started forcing the players to come out for it because the military pays the league.

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree. Police should be allowed to illegally kill black men. Amirite? Gtfo with that BS. 

Like an onion article "team with racist name doesn't like QB bringing awareness to police brutality on minorities".

They only started forcing the players to come out for it because the military pays the league.

I meant the "look at me, I'm only protesting bc I'm on TV" message, but now I feel like I'm ruining a perfectly good rant. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, Kap really gives a crap about that message, so much so he supports brutal cuban dictators like a POS, and sells out his fellows in the cause.

There are real people doing real work in the area, but it isnt Colin Kaepernick, hes absolute scum. He accepted a settlement from the NFL because money is more important to him than any cause, but hes gotten people to buy into that as the lowest of the low. 

Archived