Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/27/nfl-coordinators-position-coaches-to-watch

Robert Saleh, defensive coordinator, San Francisco 49ers

Saleh is energetic and young, and he comes from a great coaching tree. The 49ers are 3-0, second in total defense and are top 10 in both sacks and interceptions at a time when the interception is declining generally. Does he have tremendous talent up front? Yes, but the simplistic beauty of his defense allows good players to move fast and keep up with well-schemed offenses.

Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots

It’s just nonsensical to leave him off a coaches-to-watch list. McDaniels, despite choosing the nuclear option and walking away from Indianapolis, is a curiosity in league circles and has, for years, piloted one of the best and most diverse offenses in football. A team with a veteran quarterback will always at least have passing interest in him.

Bret Bielema, defensive line coach, New England Patriots

The former big-time college coach is moving up the ranks in New England at a time when the Patriots are touting an unstoppable defense. I like Bielema because he’s been the head coach in high-pressure jobs before, has access to and knowledge of college offenses and has spent a few years in various roles under Bill Belichick. He is different from the slew of other Patriot assistants in that Bielema had success and his own persona before coming to New England.

Shane Waldron, passing game coordinator, Los Angeles Rams

The run of hiring 30-something assistants under Sean McVay could very well continue, especially if the Rams’ offense shifts into high gear at some point this season. While the reviews on Zac Taylor are still out and may inevitably (and unfairly) impact another coach coming out, Waldron is part of a budding tree and is being groomed for bigger things under McVay.

Kris Richard, defensive passing game coordinator, Dallas Cowboys

Richard has been given the defensive spotlight in Dallas, even if he’s not the full-time coordinator. I think Richard is long overdue for a shot, having played an instrumental role in the development of a generationally great passing defense in Seattle. In Dallas, he’s been part of a crucial injection of young coaching talent that has helped push the Cowboys to Super Bowl contention.

Kellen Moore, offensive coordinator, Dallas Cowboys

Many thought it was too early for Moore to be a playcaller, and I’ll probably receive some flak for throwing him on here after just three games. However, there will always be a market for QB-friendly offensive minds, especially in the coming years as the latest herd of veteran quarterbacks bow out. At the least, I think Moore’s rise forces Jerry Jones to make some interesting decisions in the coming years.

Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, Baltimore Ravens

It’s been a long and winding road for Roman, from the cusp of a head coaching gig on a rising 49ers team, to Buffalo, to Baltimore where he worked his way into the offensive coordinator role in Lamar Jackson’s second year. While I think it will be difficult for people to untangle their original thoughts on Jackson and his current status (they thought he wasn’t good, and now believe it is an effect of the system), Roman did revamp this sleepy offense and create something truly dangerous and different in today’s NFL.

Brian Daboll, offensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills

I had Daboll on my list last year as well, and I think people are starting to see why. With internships under both Nick Saban and Bill Belichick, with feet in both the college and professional worlds, Daboll undertook a true project in Josh Allen and is starting to get hard results. His handling of Allen in the preseason was smart, and owners would do well to pick up on the way he’s increasingly empowered his young passer through the last few months.

Kevin Stefanski, offensive coordinator, Minnesota Vikings

Stefanski came up with the Brad Childress regime, but he’s risen under Mike Zimmer in Minnesota. He interviewed for the Browns job this past offseason and, while the Vikings are not lighting up the scoreboard, Stefanski’s ability to create a complementary offense in Zimmer’s vision and maximize a talent like Dalvin Cook should not be overlooked.

Eric Bienemy, offensive coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs

The next great offensive mind up in the Andy Reid pipeline, Bienemy had a largely quiet hiring cycle last year despite the monstrous offensive performance in Kansas City. This year, he may be harder to ignore as we learn more about Bienemy’s work with star Patrick Mahomes.

Nick Sirianni, offensive coordinator, Indianapolis Colts

I think we may soon be talking about a Frank Reich tree. The Colts are going to be praised roundly for their creativity and ingenuity amid chaotic circumstances, and owners may want a piece of the action with a team in transition.

Dave Toub, special teams coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs

Toub has been instrumental in Kansas City’s success under Andy Reid, and he deserves a shot. Former pupils I’ve spoken to tout a true teacher, and someone with an understanding of both sides of the football. Plus, he has access to Reid’s offensive coaches, who he could poach for a new opportunity elsewhere.

Mike Groh, offensive coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles; Press Taylor, quarterbacks coach, Philadelphia Eagles

As the searches for coaches with connections to innovative schemes intensify, Groh, Taylor and some other members of the Eagles staff will find themselves under the microscope. While Frank Reich and Doug Pederson had a heavy hand in Super Bowl LII, Groh also deserved a ton of credit for his analytical eye.

Mike Pettine, defensive coordinator, Green Bay Packers

Back in 2018, when offenses were ripping the NFL apart, Pettine was one of the names I heard from coaches in the know as someone who was getting the counter-strike right. With the benefit of time away after his end in Cleveland, Pettine is now a major force behind the 3-1 Packers. Yes, his team gave up 34 points against the Eagles on Thursday Night Football, but he could be an attractive second-chance candidate, especially for those who understood what a toxic situation he endured in Cleveland.

27 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Not if it's earned. 

Hail. 

I would not lose sleep with Callahan staying if he went 7-9 (not happening, we’re not beating GB).  We have to factor in many assistant coaches are staying put then taking over bad franchises.  There’s no job security in the NFL for head coaches unless your name is Belichick, Reid, Carrol, Payton, Harbaugh, or Tomlin. Is it worth jumping over fire to dump Callahan for a 2nd tier assistant coach? 

None of the coaches listed in this thread jump out at me.  My only hope is a competent GM.

All this talk of Tomlin getting the hook is crazy, his stock might be higher than ever with the job he’s doing without their starting QB.

6 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

All this talk of Tomlin getting the hook is crazy, his stock might be higher than ever with the job he’s doing without their starting QB.

Is that actually a thing? I mean I've not been following events in Pittsburgh closely like. But one thing the Steelers always have been is loyal to their guys. 

Tomlins what, the second coach since Noll? Over a 50 year or so span?

I find it hard to think they'd part ways with him after all he's done there. 

Hail. 

The Washington Redskins have begun the search for their next head coach and some candidates have concerns over the organizational structure, according to Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer.

In response to a question about team president Bruce Allen's job security, Breer told Grant & Danny the Redskins are receiving pushback from possible candidates for the team's vacant head coach position over the current structure of the organization.

"I actually think part of that's (Allen's job security) gonna be linked to the head coach search," Breer said on 106.7 The Fan Friday.

"The Redskins have already started the search, I know it hasn't been public, but they've actually already started reaching out to prospective candidates through go-betweens and everything else," Breer told Grant & Danny. "And my understanding is they've gotten some pushback on the current structure of the organization from some of those candidates."

...Breer goes on to say Allen's future will come down to a couple of factors: "1), just how much does the current structure of the organization limit them as far as what they're able to go and get as their next head coach and then, 2) how far does this have to go for Dan Snyder to move on from Bruce Allen?"

"My sense is that they've already gotten the feeling that the head coach search is going to be affected by the way that the building has operated for the last 10 years," Breer said.

Breer mentioned some of the "courtship" of college coaches by teams in the market or potentially in the market has already begun, including Michigan's Jim Harbaugh, Baylor's Matt Rhule, Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley, and Iowa State's Matt Campbell. 

"So most teams that are kind of planning to cast a wide net start to put feelers out to see if there's interest coming back the other way," Breer told The Fan. "And a lot of times in those cases teams can get feedback, not only on whether or not (a potential candidate) would be interested but the conditions in which certain candidates would be interested."

"And a coach might say, 'I might be interested in this, but I really don't like where the team is structurally,' or 'I don't wanna work with this guy,' or  'I need to bring my own GM,'" he added. "Those are the sort of things that come back when you're doing this sort of initial courtship of those sort of candidates. My understanding is that some of that has come back and I think that that's not unusual, I don't want to pin this all on Bruce.

"But certainly, my understanding is the Redskins have gotten some feedback from some guys who are going to be in a mix for multiple jobs where it's, 'If there's gonna be the structure (at Redskins Park) that it has been for the last 10 years going forward, then I'm not interested.'"

The question becomes: Will Snyder feel he is limited in which head coaches he could possibly hire by the current front office and make changes? Or will Snyder brush off any external pressure from candidates and go to a great length to keep Allen and the current structure in place?

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

It's gonna be McCarthy or Tomlin if he's canned or put on the block.

Bruce will be tactically moved to another role and Callahan needs to be ditched, or at worst retained at OL. If Callanhan gets the job it is a ****ing greater shambles than I would like to believe.

Considering the job Tomlin has done this year, the Steelers aren't parting ways with him. 

Russell

https://www.si.com/nfl/redskins/gm-report/breer-the-redskins-have-gotten-some-push-back

The Redskins need a head coach moving forward, right? Actually, they need a lot of things but that's one item on Santa's list. 

It could be Bill Callahan if the Redskins finish strong. They currently hold a two-game winning streak, with their slim to none playoff hopes still alive. 

It could also be Callahan because he's aligned with Bruce Allen. 

However, if Allen truly is in trouble, and in talking to multiple sources, the feeling is still less than clear on that issue, Callahan will likely not have much of a chance. 

One of the advantages to being awful and starting your head coach search early is that you can do exactly the opposite of what the Cowboys are reportedly orchestrating. You can talk to candidates on your list that are either not under contract with someone else and not worry about looking bad. You already are. 

There's nobody and I mean nobody that wants to work  for Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder, if they have any power, control and/or common sense. 

You might be saying to yourself; "they'll find somebody" and you're right - they will. At some point. They might find a special teams coordinator who will likely never become a head coach in the NFL, like Dave Toub (Kansas City) or Rich Bisaccia from the Oakland Raiders. 

They actually interviewed Bisaccia in 2014 before hiring Jay Gruden. Why? Because Bruce Allen knew him from Tampa. 

They might find some obscure position coach that can't believe his good fortune: You know like Jim Zorn did! 

They aren't going to find a Mike Tomlin or probably even a Ron Rivera type. I have to believe those two gentlemen are smart enough to understand how unlikely the chances of being truly successful here are. 

The NFL is a huge league but many people know how dysfunctional the Redskins are and have been. If you don't think well respected, influential people around the NFL haven't shared their experiences and advice with many others, you're missing the boat. 

Would divorcing Allen help? Of course. Many would still have reservations, but they might just think that they can win enough to keep the owner off their back

When you have the dynamic duo breathing down your neck and making bad decisions that affect your football team  and future, you virtually have no shot. 

At this point, the Redskins have to rid themselves of Allen, give complete power to smart and decent people like Eric Schaffer and Kyle Smith,  then get lucky with the right coach. 

That's their only shot. 

I for one am not as down on Callahan as most here seem to be, I just wonder what he is thinking though. Does he really wanted to tie himself to the bloated corpse of Bruce? Dumping Allen is not just the first thing we need, it is the whole list. Send LilDan on a neverending cruise and turn the franchise over to an actual competent GM, period. HE will decide the fate of coaches, HE will deal with the reeking rep of the team, HE will get to gobble up the credit, because there are a lot of good pieces here, some serious young talent that deserves to thrive in a functioning organization. As bad as it is, can you imagine the upside for being the guy that turned the Skins back into a pro team?

Of course someone like Bezos buying the team and contracting Elon Musk to shoot Allen into space might be a nice PR move........

The last coach I want to see in here is Rex Ryan. A guy, who who while enthusiastic really never elevated the Bill's or Jet's to anything substantial. Nor do I want Harbaugh.  Let him stay at Michigan and continue to be fairly mediocre.  Some say that Michigan has been a failing program for years but he was hired to fix it.  And maybe he can't given the structure of that organization who knows.  

I think this team would benefit from an offensive minded guy who can actually develop the young talent we have. For me Bienemy is the best on the list. 

You look at what Robert Saleh has done with the San Fran D and i wonder what his guidance could do for our mostly young D squad.  I like his enthusiasm, youth and maximizing potential at the same time.  He has some studs for sure but you have to maximize that potential.

That interview with the Panthers owner that SIP posted was enlightening to say the least. You mean that is how an intelligent, thoughtful,  mature business owner operates an NFL franchise? I was actually jealous listening to his reasoning, how he came to some of his conclusions, and having a realistic vision for the Panther's organization.

But we are stuck with Dumb Ass Dan and his little sidekick BFF Brucie, who most probably sit down over ****tails and decide their next moves.

Don't like Russell throwing shade at Toub as a HC candidate in that article, undercuts his otherwise good point. And I say that as someone who wants an offensive guru who can't be stolen away by another team like a hot OC can be, so I'm biased against a guy like Toub who would need a star OC to begin with. 

3 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Nick Ashooh keeps saying that the Redskins tried the young up and coming coach when they hired Zorn. Can someone please explain to me how he was a young coach when he came on board?

It's such a disingenuous argument, I agree. He was not young or innovative or up and coming or even in demand. He was a career QB coach. 

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It's such a disingenuous argument, I agree. He was not young or innovative or up and coming or even in demand. He was a career QB coach. 

Hey now. (Pun intended) 

'Swinging gate' was innovative at the pro-level right? 

Just not in a good way. 

Hail. 

While Callahan has stabilized the Redskins to some degree, it seems highly unlikely that he keeps the job in 2020. It’s also unclear if Allen will remain as team president and football boss. NBC Sports Washington and other reports have shown that Allen is under more scrutiny than ever in his 10-year tenure as team president and could be gone after this season. 

It’s been a rough year for Allen, as the team is in the middle of an awful season and standout left tackle Trent Williams has called him out personally for ugly tactics during a contract holdout. 

What that means going forward remains to be seen. 

Breer said NFL teams are starting to make covert outreach to potential coaching candidates, particularly college coaching candidates, and that the team is getting “pushback” because of the existing power structure. 

"My sense is that they've already gotten the feeling that the head coach search is going to be affected by the way that the building has operated for the last 10 years," Breer said.

The past 10 years mark Allen’s tenure, the era of no playoff wins and many, many embarrassing situations. 

If coaching candidates have reservations, it’s hard to blame them. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/new-head-coaching-candidates-uncomfortable-redskins-power-structure-report

Allen's role in the organization remains of vital importance to coaching candidates, with the team's personnel and record failing under his leadership. Sources said Dan Snyder is beginning to understand the gravity of his situation and that major changes could be coming to the Skins front office this week.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-have-interest-in-stanfords-david-shaw-who-is-expected-to-be-in-heavy-demand-for-nfl-openings/

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Allen's role in the organization remains of vital importance to coaching candidates, with the team's personnel and record failing under his leadership. Sources said Dan Snyder is beginning to understand the gravity of his situation and that major changes could be coming to the Skins front office this week.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-have-interest-in-stanfords-david-shaw-who-is-expected-to-be-in-heavy-demand-for-nfl-openings/

This week?!

Archived