Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

No, we've got position coaches that have survived numerous coaching changes.

It happens all the time. They don't always clean house.

And in our case it's been a bad thing at times because it meant Bruce Allen was dictating to his handpicked flunkie who didn't know better or didn't have the luxury of being choosy at the time (in this case Gruden) what to do with his coaching staff. We know he did it with the defensive staff, and who knows what happened on offense. It was bad for us. You do not want the FO dictating assistant coach hires or retainees to a new HC candidate, period. 

It can happen organically with a coach who has full power over his own coaching staff (which is the standard and for good reason), like the Rams example I gave you. And that's fine. 

That's why it's dumb to worry about it. If we do things the right way and have the HC build his own staff, good coaches can be kept if he wants. If we do things the wrong way, none of this ultimately matters anyways. 

Point is, nothing about potentially wanting to retain Callahan as the OL coach should have any impact on the hiring process. "Oh no, we need to make him the HC or we'll need to find a new OL coach" is not the process of a current or future winning franchise lol. 

42 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

But that is not at all what I said.

You said they wouldn't have made their star OL coach the interim HC if he wasn't getting a real solid shot at the job, because then they'd have to replace him and they wouldn't want to risk that lightly. 

I reject both those points in my two previous posts and make some other ones for context. No biggie if you disagree. 

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

No, we've got position coaches that have survived numerous coaching changes.

It happens all the time. They don't always clean house.

Because "they" are total buffoons.

Gruden accepted the job with no power at all to hire his own coaches. First sign of doom way back in 2014. Some of us mentioned it, some said "Well all we can do is hope for the best"

Want proof that he didn't bring in his own guys? Go look at the list of current coaches. A few of them predate Gruden and the ones that he supposedly hired were Bruce or Dan guys. How convenient! No wonder they are still here.

Did Gruden bring in anybody else when he was hired? Have you ever heard of that besides w/ the Crypt Keeper in Dallas?

Pretty much every coach brings in a few guys and replaces most of the leftovers but our crony quota was already met by the owner and his sock puppets friends.

I wonder if anything will change this time. I'd definitely bet on idiocy winning out.

If I recall the articles were posted here which was that Urban Meyer was supposedly very interested in the Cowboys job and had zero interest in the job here.  Who knows if that's true but I recall 2 separate reports on that front.

Alex Smith might give them a fighting chance I gather since he obviously knows Urban.  I am not an Urban guy myself at least not in the context of working here so i don't care what happens with him. 

"I'm sure John Mara wanted to avoid this, and maybe he still will, but if he looks around he's going to see some really enticing options," said one NFL executive. "He probably can't take a chance after the last four years on some unknown assistant or another former coach with a losing record. And there are some real winners out there this year."

Rivera's not even the biggest winner available. That honor belongs to former Packers coach Mike McCarthy, who has 10 playoff wins and a Super Bowl championship on his resume. But Rivera has ties to Giants GM Dave Gettleman, who is much more likely than Shurmur to survive any offseason housecleaning. Rivera was the Panthers head coach when Gettleman was hired as the GM in Carolina in 2013, and he could've easily fired the coach who was 13-19 in his two seasons at the time, and hired one of his choosing.

Instead, he stuck by Rivera and the Panthers went 12-4 in that first season. Two years later, the Panthers were 15-1 enroute to their loss in Super Bowl 50.

"(Rivera) is an ultimate professional," said an NFL source. "He's one of the most respected coaches in the league and his players loved him. He could have his pick of jobs if enough of them open up."

By all accounts, Gettleman and Rivera had a strong relationship and parted on good terms when Gettleman was fired in 2017. That could be a big draw for the Giants, especially since what one source described as Rivera's two preferred jobs -- San Diego (he's a Southern California native) and Chicago (he played and coached for the Bears) -- are not likely to open up.

But the Giants would have other intriguing choices to consider, too. McCarthy, the 56-year-old who coached the Packers from 2006-18 and was a finalist for the Jets job last offseason, was long regarded as an offensive whiz and helped mold Aaron Rodgers into the Hall of Fame-bound quarterback he is today. He left Green Bay with a winning percentage of .618 (125-77-2), having made the playoffs nine times in 13 seasons. He'd be by far the most accomplished coach the Giants had hired since 1993 when they hired Dan Reeves.

"McCarthy gets a bad rap from people who say he didn't win enough with a quarterback like (Rodgers)," said one NFC scout. "But he won a ton. That's not all the quarterback. That's his offense, and his management skills, keeping Rodgers happy. They had a lot of flawed teams around Rodgers up there. But they kept winning anyway."

...And while the Giants haven't dipped into the college ranks for a coach since they hired Jim Lee Howell out of Wagner in 1954, they will surely be intrigued by Baylor's Matt Rhule, a former Giants assistant who has now quickly turned around two left-for-dead college programs. Another recent finalist for the Jets job, Rhule is one of the most respected candidates on the market.

"He's got an NFL mind and well-run program and seems to have every small detail covered," said the scout. "He's got a little (Tom) Coughlin in him. The Giants will like that."

None of that, of course, guarantees that the 54-year-old Shurmur will be fired. But one thing Mara has said he always considered in the past when pondering a coaching change is the pool of available candidates. A group with Rivera, McCarthy, Garrett and Rhule is very strong, and there obviously could be more.

If nothing else, that group is way better than what Mara found when he searched for a new coach in 2016 and 2018. In 2016, the Giants interviewed Adam Gase, Doug Marrone, former Falcons coach Mike Smith and Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, and they requested an interview with Hue Jackson before he accepted an offer from the Browns.

Ranking the best and worst potential NFL head-coaching openings in 2019

9. Washington

Biggest strength: The checks clear
Biggest weakness: Ownership

Please don't take that as criticism of Washington fans. They deserve better after 20 disastrous years under Daniel Snyder's ownership, which has included more head coaches (nine) than winning seasons (five). Snyder's charges haven't won a playoff game since 2005. If the organization can't convince fans to show up, how is it going to attract any coach who has the option to pursue other opportunities?

Sadly, there is little on the roster to be excited about. The team's best player, left tackle Trent Williams, hasn't played all season after demanding a trade. Star guard Brandon Scherff is a free agent. Scherff and All-Underrated team member Matt Ioannidis are the only players who remain on the roster from the 2015 and 2016 drafts, as picks such as Josh Doctson and Su'a Cravens failed to make an impact and are out of football.

Washington's largest cap hit in 2020 belongs to veteran quarterback Alex Smith, whose $16 million base salary is guaranteed for injury. The organization can't be blamed for what happened to Smith, whose NFL future remains uncertain after he suffered a broken leg in 2018, but there's nothing it can do to push Smith's salary off its cap. Washington will owe $10.8 million in dead money when it moves on from Smith after the 2020 campaign.

The organization is likely to move on from several other highly paid veterans, including cornerback Josh Norman and tight end Jordan Reed, whose departures would free up a combined $21 million in cap space. Ryan Kerrigan will be in the final year of his deal, and while he's still a valuable edge rusher, the team isn't anywhere close to contending with the 31-year-old on its roster. The prudent thing would be to explore the trade market for Williams and Kerrigan, bring back Scherff and try to start a youth movement. You can guess what I think Washington will do.

There is some young talent here, although it's not comparable to most of the other franchises on this list. The 2019 rookie class has been promising, with third-round wideout Terry McLaurin looking like a superstar in the making. Edge rusher Montez Sweat has flashed potential at times. Defensive linemen Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen and defensive backs Quinton Dunbar and Fabian Moreau are worthwhile contributors on rookie deals. Landon Collins might be overpaid, but he's a talented safety and a leader on defense.

The big question is what potential coaches think of Haskins, who has unsurprisingly struggled as a rookie. There was little reason to expect him to succeed this early given the issues along the offensive line and his inexperience at the position. This season shouldn't realistically mean much in terms of evaluating him; if you liked him coming out of school, you're going to be able to make excuses for why he didn't succeed, and if you didn't like him as a prospect, well, you can point to the 2019 film. Coaching candidates who want a blank slate or an established option at quarterback will look elsewhere.

If there's any way Snyder can attract a desirable candidate, it would be by offering the sort of personnel control other teams aren't willing to give to the vast majority of coaches in 2019, even if that means moving on from team president Bruce Allen, the public face of the franchise. Of course, coaches don't typically get personnel control for a reason. Coaching is hard enough, and for every Bill Belichick who can succeed while juggling both jobs, you'll run into a Bill O'Brien in Houston or a Mike Holmgren in Cleveland. Mike Shanahan reportedly had personnel control during his time in Washington, although it's fair to wonder how much Snyder influenced the day-to-day decision-making in football operations.

The dream candidate in some ways, of course, would be Urban Meyer. The former Ohio State coach had glowing things to say about his former quarterback this summer after Washington drafted Haskins, though that's hardly a surprise. Meyer retired from coaching last December for health reasons, although he gave the same reason for moving on from Florida in December 2010 and was named Ohio State coach less than a year later.

Meyer has never coached at the NFL level, but the 55-year-old expressed interest in the Cowboys job in October. We'll get to them in a bit. Unless he is desperate to work with Haskins, it's more likely that Washington will turn over the job to someone who doesn't have head-coaching options elsewhere. One plausible candidate is 34-year-old offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell, who has been in the building since 2017. Years after letting McVay leave, Snyder could try to avoid making the same mistake again.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28276535/ranking-best-worst-potential-nfl-head-coaching-openings-2019

23 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

An assistant under an offensive guru whose recent staff already produced Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy as head coaches. Andy Reid isn’t willing to give him play calling duties. It’s basically like everyone hiring anyone associated with Sean McVay last year.  What are Bienemy’s actual duties there? Seems like he’s riding the success that was already there surrounded by coaching and on field talent. The KC coaching well is dry at this point. 

Eric B came up as a running back. Coaches running backs at Colorado, UCLA, Vikings, Eagles and Chiefs. Now he’s supposedly a QB whisperer because he has the OC title under Andy Reid in name only? I’m not buying any of it. He’s the worst possible candidate given the uncertainties. Literally Zorn 2.0...

Got it, thanks. 

I would love to get Greg Roman while Dallas takes Urban Meyer. 

Okay, this is dated but Rivera is certainly a fiery guy.  Funny that I think he's pointing a finger at Josh Norman.  LOL

Warning, lots of inappropriate language! 

Honestly, if this is true Gettleman should go first but i think it's something everybody thought was coming.  I'm guessing they make a strong push for Rivera or McCarthy.

38 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Got it, thanks. 

I would love to get Greg Roman while Dallas takes Urban Meyer. 

You can get a ton of QB talent to run the Greg Roman offense from college. It was already hard enough to develop traditional passing talent now given where college ball is, it's even harder. His style of offense in a pretty weak NFC East could be pretty successful quickly in my opinion.

I'm not sure what to think about Urban. The guy is always successful. Might not turn into NFL success but he has potential.

43 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Okay, this is dated but Rivera is certainly a fiery guy.  Funny that I think he's pointing a finger at Josh Norman.  LOL

Warning, lots of inappropriate language! 

Its impossible for me to envision any of our recent past HCs having this kind of "team Talk".  I just imagine Zorn saying "come on guys, Hip Hip hooray!"  Or Gruden just mumbling in confusion.  Callahan spending 15 minutes describing that the answer lies in running more.  

22 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Its impossible for me to envision any of our recent past HCs having this kind of "team Talk".  I just imagine Zorn saying "come on guys, Hip Hip hooray!"  Or Gruden just mumbling in confusion.  Callahan spending 15 minutes describing that the answer lies in running more.  

Followed by a rousing rendition of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" and an encore of "Dead Man's Chest." 😆

4 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

You can get a ton of QB talent to run the Greg Roman offense from college. It was already hard enough to develop traditional passing talent now given where college ball is, it's even harder. His style of offense in a pretty weak NFC East could be pretty successful quickly in my opinion.

I'm not sure what to think about Urban. The guy is always successful. Might not turn into NFL success but he has potential.

I THINK Urban Meyer can be a very good NFL head coach but I'd love to see him and Jerry Jones have each other. That being said, i wouldn't be surprised if the Danny lands Meyer.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I THINK Urban Meyer can be a very good NFL head coach but I'd love to see him and Jerry Jones have each other. That being said, i wouldn't be surprised if the Danny lands Meyer.

My pure speculative guess is that Jerruh is more likely to land Lincoln Riley, which would open the door for Dan to get Meyer--he'll have to wildly overpay, though.

On the other hand, a college coach used to complete control of a program (heck, of an entire university, really) might find working for Jerry worse than working for Dan. Dan will meddle occasionally, albeit in annoying ways. Jerry thinks he should be involved in every decision.

After watching John Harbaugh tonight in Baltimore it would be awesome if he had a brother that was a good football coach like him.  Only if?  🤔 Ya you know what he does let’s hire Jim Harbaugh the guy is a good football coach who demands respect and accountability in his staff and players. 

6B368882-1592-4471-9D3E-E096F40FC438.jpeg

7 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't think you will see Meyer on the Skins' sideline. IF he comes to the NFL at all, I think it will be to the Cowboys. Even with offering a ton of money, I doubt Dan could put together a package that would compete with the Cowboys, even with JJ as their GM. Here's what Meyer said about the Cowboy's job in October:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2019/12/10/cowboys-ego-insincerity-make-urban-meyer-perfect-jerry-jones/4390534002/

>>When asked in October if he’d consider the Cowboys job, Meyer’s response was “absolutely.”  

“That’s the New York Yankees,” he said during an interview with Fox’s The Herd with Colin Cowherd. “That’s the one. Great city. They got Dak Prescott, Zeke Elliott. You got a loaded team. … To me, that’s the one job in professional football that you say, ‘I got to go do that.’”<<

9 hours ago, wtfskins said:

After watching John Harbaugh tonight in Baltimore it would be awesome if he had a brother that was a good football coach like him.  Only if?  🤔 Ya you know what he does let’s hire Jim Harbaugh the guy is a good football coach who demands respect and accountability in his staff and players. 

Edit

So I would see almost no chance of this happening. Jim Harbaugh is the same guy who benched Alex Smith for Colin K. This has nothing to do with the political side. That is a different conversation - one I will be glad to take up in the tailgate if anyone is interested. 

Alex clearly has some input to Danny - to what level who knows. But clearly him and danny are buds. Do you really think he is going to say, yea bring in the guy who benched my ass due to a concussion - basically the first chance he got? Jim H never wanted Alex. Looked at Peyton Manning but then decided not to. He lied to everyone about the whole thing then yanked the job out from under Alex when he was having one of his best seasons at the first opportunity. 

Not sure how much respect he commands from NFL players. He lied the entire time in SF, then beat it out of town when the going got a little tough to go back to college and coach. If I remember that was a pretty divided locker-room while he was there and not just because of Alex/Colin. The guy is a major jerk. And didn't we already try the other brother approach already? 

Keim was just on 980

As for coaches, Keim doesn't think it will be Callahan.  He thinks they might go for a discipline and strong leader type guy.   There are people in that building who realize they need that.   They seem to favor a 2nd time head coach versus a new head coach so someone like a Marvin Lewis type.   He said he's hearing Rivera and McCarthy are likely headed elsewhere.  He said he's learned some coaches have no interest in this job with this power structure.   He did mentioned Bieniemy (even though he doesn't fit that profile) but he doesn't know how high he's ranked to them. 

14 hours ago, Poindexter said:

There are so many options....I would think we can't screw it up.

We should just realize with the current ownership and FO structure that the team will need to look in the dollar bin for coaches, either a Rex Ryan or a Marvin Lewis and that’s if they’re lucky. 

13 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Any Tampa flunkies still available?

Raheem Morris and Dirk Koetter 

Archived