Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I haven’t watched the game yet, 2 different Christmas parties got in the way.

I think Callahan deserves a lot of credit for keeping the team motivated, and playing hard. I don’t think he should be a full-time coaching candidate.

However, wasn’t this the best case scenario?  Play fairly well, be competitive and lose?  What are people complaining about?

I am not complaining.  Rick Snider is.  Am all cool with it. 

I think Callahan deserves a lot of credit for keeping the team motivated, and playing hard. I don’t think he should be a full-time coaching candidate.

However, wasn’t this the best case scenario?  Play fairly well, be competitive and lose?  What are people complaining about?

I agree, and I feel like the team has an identity, something it has not had in a while. 

Whether it is for just this season or more... I like the overall professionalism and effort that Coach Callahan has put forth. 

1 minute ago, D’Pablo said:

The only way I’d want Meyer is if he keeps O’Connell on board. I worry about a young QB having to learn a second offense in two years.

Why would he learn a new offense? Meyer was his coach at Ohio.

50 minutes ago, Redskinscub said:

I agree, and I feel like the team has an identity, something it has not had in a while. 

Whether it is for just this season or more... I like the overall professionalism and effort that Coach Callahan has put forth. 

These are good attributes for an interim coach.  Hes done as well as anyone could have hoped with this mess he inherited, but going through an entire offseason and starting a blank slate in 2020 with a guy with such a low ceiling would amount to admitting that were just aiming for mediocrity.

The bar is lower than it's ever been, which is why its seems like this is good coaching or something that *might* be worth continuing on a longer term basis.  If he gets the job, be prepared to much it up around 6 or 7 wins for two years and then hit the reset button.  

Bottom line, being "not a total disaster" is not nearly good enough.  

ETA that's just a general comment, not directed at the poster I quoted specifically.

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The one nice thing about an Urban Meyer-type, is that he has a really well-developed eye for talent. College coaches at his level are GMs for all intents and purposes. Would his schemes work in the NFL? I don't know, but he certainly has a good rep.

If he was hired and was smart he would retain KO as OC so Mgr has NFL experience on the staff.  

1 hour ago, Koala said:

What?  SEC kids???  The only SEC player Urban ever poached is Justin FIelds.  Urban is a strong believer in national recruiting over regional recruiting.  He recruits out of Florida, Texas, Georgia, and Ohio cause those are the best places to recruit from.  It has nothing to do with SEC territory -- unless you think Texas and Ohio are somehow SEC territory, or that all 5 star recruits are somehow the sole domain of the SEC :rolleyes

ANyho, I digress.  I never said Urban doesnt win via recruiting.  I just pointed out that he deserves credit for recruiting coaches, not just players.  And besides, his recruiting experience only helps make his case that he can be both GM and Head Coach -- he's used to having to assemble a team from the ground up, and still call plays and be a head coach.  

I really cant believe that fans of a team that just spent 8 or 9 years  under Jim Zorn and Jay Gruden is gonna get uppity about having Urban Meyer as a head coach.  We cant even seem to get a decent candidate in the door, and we wanna quibble about Urban???   Im pretty sure Urban wont even take this job -- it simply lacks the prestige, and would be a major step-down from the Ohio State Buckeyes.   

Dallas, on the other hand, is still a prestigious franchise -- get over it.  THis isnt 1991, there is not a even a small bit of prestige associated with the Washington Redskins.  This is  a bottom-of-the barrel job, and will continue to be so long as Dan Snyder owns it.  Nobody with a modicum of self-respect even thinks about taking a job here -- and unbelievably we got fans with the chutzpah to pretend that beggars can be choosers.  SMH, sometimes I think the fans of this franchise and Dan Snyder deserve each other -- both of you are living in a long-forgotten past and are shockingly unaware that we are probably the single biggest joke in the NFL, and maybe all of professional sports.

Yes we're quibbling about Urban because the Redskins' futility doesn't make him more qualified. It's Ohio State ffs he assembled nothing from the ground up. He had his pick of 5 star recruits in 3/4 of the continental United States. How on earth does that translate to building a roster in the NFL?! He built Utah from the ground up, and earned his shot at a big program like most big time college coaches, but once they get to Florida, OSU, Bama, etc...They win by overwhelming most of the teams they play with talent because they clean up in recruiting. The more they rely on this, the harder it is for them to adapt to the NFL. If he took an NFL gig coming out of Utah he may very well have been successful, but he'd be out of his depth now, just like Spurrier and Saban. 

11 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Alex Smith isn't a dummy.......wierd but I wouldn't have an issue.

I'm with you there, especially if they can hang on to Kyle Smith to head up college scouting. If Kyle Smith takes a GM spot somewhere else, I'm done with this team (Til week 1 2020)

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not complaining.  Rick Snider is.  Am all cool with it. 

I got that.  I just finished watching the game. 

He was complaining about not going for it ok 4th and 10 after rhebSimms drop?  

If that’s what he’s complaining about, that’s weak. FG there was the right call.  3rd and 10 wouldn’t not be good conversion odds.  

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Technically that’s a foursome if you’re also a participant...

Ok, fair point tour I’d also be ok just watching... :P 

17 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

He's not a dummy, but what would his qualifications be to take on the GM role? He doesn't have any experience with player management, scouting, salary cap, coaching, etc. More than that, would he just be another Snyder yes-man? I'm positive he couldn't do any worse than Brucie, but it seems like a hail mary because of John Lynch's success in SF.

21 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Yes we're quibbling about Urban because the Redskins' futility doesn't make him more qualified. It's Ohio State ffs he assembled nothing from the ground up. He had his pick of 5 star recruits in 3/4 of the continental United States. How on earth does that translate to building a roster in the NFL?! He built Utah from the ground up, and earned his shot at a big program like most big time college coaches, but once they get to Florida, OSU, Bama, etc...They win by overwhelming most of the teams they play with talent because they clean up in recruiting. The more they rely on this, the harder it is for them to adapt to the NFL. If he took an NFL gig coming out of Utah he may very well have been successful, but he'd be out of his depth now, just like Spurrier and Saban. 

Neither one of those guys is anywhere close to the motivator of players Meyer is. He is legendary for knowing what is going on in his locker rooms and making the right moves to motivate his players. Now I am not saying that will transfer to grown men in the NFL. I am just saying He is lightyears ahead of Spurrier in the locker room. I dont know much about Saban.

Edit: And Snyder has to do something to get asses in the seats at Fedex. Meyer makes a lot of sense in that regard. I am  PSU guy so I cant really stand the guy. But I would come around if he comes here and wins. And here is another thought. What if Meyer is being talked to about replacing Bruce? The guy knows talent. And being a GM would help keep him healthy. The guy has almost dropped dead twice from coaching :)

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Neither one of those guys is anywhere close to the motivator of players Meyer is. He is legendary for knowing what is going on in his locker rooms and making the right moves to motivate his players. Now I am not saying that will transfer to grown men in the NFL. I am just saying He is lightyears ahead of Spurrier in the locker room. I dont know much about Saban.

Edit: And Snyder has to do something to get asses in the seats at Fedex. Meyer makes a lot of sense in that regard. I am  PSU guy so I cant really stand the guy. But I would come around if he comes here and wins.

Saban would probably be a more apt comparison. You're 100% correct about Urban Meyer, and this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. Being the HFBC at Ohio State or Bama is like heading up a corporation, whereas being an NFL head coach is more like being a general in the army. It's a flawed comparison of course but you get what I'm trying to say. What Matt Campbell does in the lockeroom and film room during the week they play Oklahoma as a process translates to the NFL much better. If you could run an offense like you can today back when Meyer was at Utah and someone gave him a shot there's a very good chance he would have been highly successful  

2 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

This is a team-centric take. Hardly unbiased.  Reeks of typical Redskins complete lack of self awareness. 

Agree w/ crediting Bruce with drafting well. He also has to take ownership of the 3-11 record.  Lots of free agent mistakes, hiring buddies, etc.  Can’t have one without the other. 

This isn't a team-centric take whatsoever.   Nor is it tone-deaf to the state of the team and is entirely unbiased.   It's a statement of pure fact without cogent counter.   No coach with a legit pedigree is coming here UNLESS they deem the players they will get to build around in the VERY near future are the players they can win with in that very near future.   The only way any coach in the Meyer, Harbaugh, Cowher, Dungy, Tomlin, Belichick, or any other imaginable name that is, is not, could be, or won't be available is coming here is if that is the case.   That's not a favorable statement.   It's merely how it works.

And IF it happens it means the core players are good.   And if the core players are good, the person responsible for that is Bruce Allen as he was in charge for two years after Shanny, took a two year break from personnel leadership with Scot, then has owned the personnel the last three.   I happen to think the potential of Haskins, Guice and McLaurin on offense does make the team attractive IF we are to believe those three have room to grow and lead.   And if so a good, established coach would be willing to come here.   And if so, thank Bruce.

If the MORE likely situation occurs where we, as fans, estimate our core a bit more preferentially than others may, and we get a retread like Bowles or Ryan or even Riveria (who I would actually like) or a first-time guy like Bienemy, it means that core isn't as hopeful and Bruce really has left us pretty barren.   We'll know in a month if Bruce has us flush or barren though.   I suspect if it turns out we're flush, few will link that with Bruce.   Which is strange.

But, as a point of fact, no GM really gets credit or blame for the on field product.   We're 3-11 largely because our coaching has been atrocious.   Even with Callahan in charge you see how deleterious Gruden was.   And every time you see -- or saw -- Sweat and Kerrigan drop in coverage, you knew and know how atrocious Manusky is.   We are by no means good with Callahan, but we have small signs of encouragement, largely around the young players, and some swelling potential for the future as Haskins looks like he MAY still develop into a good player.   He may not, but at least he seems to be trending :).

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

He's not a dummy, but what would his qualifications be to take on the GM role? He doesn't have any experience with player management, scouting, salary cap, coaching, etc. More than that, would he just be another Snyder yes-man? I'm positive he couldn't do any worse than Brucie, but it seems like a hail mary because of John Lynch's success in SF.

Typically you have people on staff to handle scouting, salary cap, etc.

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

He would forfeit his playing salary, drastically improving our cap structure. The NFLPA and Mara would go after us but it will be interesting. That alone is a competitive advantage result over any other GM.

Whoever the next coach is they better have an assistant who is in charge of clock management at the end of the half and game. I can’t remember the last time we had competent use of timeouts. Maybe Shanahan but he had a couple of screw ups too. Gibbs 2.0 tried to call 2 timeout in a row and had his own issues with clock management in the 80s as great as he was at everything else. Marty wanted the games to end. I don’t think we have ever had competent clock management. We should have had at least 40 more seconds at the end today.

Archived