Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Here's the biggest problem with Callahan: His ties to Allen.

If Allen is here, I expect the head coach to be Callahan. We could do worse under that structure, but still not a situation I want to think about.

If Allen is removed ( :ols: ) then just like the front office, the new GM needs to bring in people that don't have ties to Allen. Allen's influence on the organization must be completely removed. I understand that many here like Callahan, I'm not a huge fan but I need to admit he's growing on me, but Allen ties to coaches and front office personnel need to be cleared out. If the new GM happens to like a guy and isn't worried about their Allen Influence then fine. 

But the best case scenario is that Callahan isn't here next year, and sadly enough, that has nothing to do with him.

The question I have is, if Allen was going to be removed then why hasn't it already happened? Why wait to fire him when you didn't wait to fire Gruden? This tells me that Bruce is staying, at least in some capacity. Otherwise why would Dan waste more time in getting a real GM in here? I think Bruce is going back to being President and Alex Smith is the next GM....not sure where that leaves Callahan.

9 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

On "Get Up" this morning they had a round table of people, including Dan Graziano which talked about this Urban Meyer stuff and it made a lot of sense.

1)   He's been putting himself "out there" and having discussions in the event he decides to coach again

2)  In having these discussions, he's deciding whether he can make the jump and succeed in the NFL

3)  He can't pick his players in the NFL like College but 2 of his biggest assets from Ohio State are with the Redskins and they happen to have an opening

4)  It wasn't a coincident that he was in Snyder's box, it's part of the putting himself "out there"

5)  It could also bode well for him if he decides to return to college next year in leveraging some University for a big contract

After hearing them all talk it just appears to be a courtship with the NFL right now but he hasn't decided if it's something he wants to do.

Meyer is very calculated so a lot of that makes a lot of sense. 

An added bonus is he's leveraging against Jerry Jones as well.  IF Dallas truly is interested in him, and they now believe that Washington could be a player for him, the price tag went up.  

i also believe I read somewhere that Urban has been to multiple Redskins games and has sat with Dan because they know each other.   I can't find where I read that for the life of me though.  

8 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Marvin Lewis is just another version of Jeff Fisher. Hes fine if you want to miss the playoffs every year. I would much rather have a couch who ended up being awful and at least you can draft high then Marvin Lewis. At least you would get something positive out of it.

I’d prefer Meyer, but can see why Dan would be interested in Marvin.  Wouldn’t shock me if he goes in that direction. 

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The question I have is, if Allen was going to be removed then why hasn't it already happened? Why wait to fire him when you didn't wait to fire Gruden? This tells me that Bruce is staying, at least in some capacity. Otherwise why would Dan waste more time in getting a real GM in here? I think Bruce is going back to being President and Alex Smith is the next GM....not sure where that leaves Callahan.

Because:

1) He's his drinking buddy and will defer to Bruce choosing to retire vs. firing him if that is the direction the team is going.

2) Because Dan doesn't care about Gruden.

3) I don't think Alex Smith is going to be anywhere close to the GM role.

4) I don't think Bruce Allen is going to be removed.

Just now, KDawg said:

Because:

1) He's his drinking buddy and will defer to Bruce choosing to retire vs. firing him if that is the direction the team is going.

2) Because Dan doesn't care about Gruden.

3) I don't think Alex Smith is going to be anywhere close to the GM role.

4) I don't think Bruce Allen is going to be removed.

So you think Bruce stays as GM? It certainly appears like that'll be the case as this all drags out. 

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

So you think Bruce stays as GM? It certainly appears like that'll be the case as this all drags out. 

I think so.

I think that there is the off-chance he retires. And I think his decision to retire would be aided by Snyder falling in love with a big name CEO type coach.

20 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

There's a 40% chance Bruce just retires.  But I believe a 60% chance Allen will just get re-assigned away from football operations. I don't think he's staying in his current role as GM and President.  I think the 60% is why he's still around, so he can manage the transition of power essentially.  Whatever happens, Snyder will allow him to go out with some dignity.

But I don't think Alex Smith is gonna be a GM.  A) I think he wants to try to play again.  Whether he succeeds or not isnt relevant, I think he wants to give it a honest try. Becoming a GM in the next few weeks means he's already given up.  B ) At best, I think Smith just becomes a special advisor type with a nondescript title and nebulous role.  He's sticking around in some capacity, but becoming the full on GM seems like a stretch to me.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd think Smith would be more of a QB coach/OC type.

The whole thing is already messy with Smith being so chummy with the owner.  Smith is just kinda hovering over things, but if he wants a role somewhere, he's probably got one.

The new coach would have to be on board, assuming he didnt have his own people in mind.  Then again, if Smith was amenable to it, the new guy could come in and see what Smith and Haskins have going on and think it's one less thing to think about. 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Here's the biggest problem with Callahan: His ties to Allen.

If Allen is here, I expect the head coach to be Callahan. We could do worse under that structure, but still not a situation I want to think about.

If Allen is removed ( :ols: ) then just like the front office, the new GM needs to bring in people that don't have ties to Allen. Allen's influence on the organization must be completely removed. I understand that many here like Callahan, I'm not a huge fan but I need to admit he's growing on me, but Allen ties to coaches and front office personnel need to be cleared out. If the new GM happens to like a guy and isn't worried about their Allen Influence then fine. 

But the best case scenario is that Callahan isn't here next year, and sadly enough, that has nothing to do with him.

The biggest thing that worries me about Callahan is that if he stays, he will keep same defensive coaches.  This coaching staff needs to be cleaned out!  

BRUCE HAS TO GO!  sooner the better

44 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd think Bruce is around at some capacity, until our Stadium deal is finished.

Sounds like the stadium deal is pretty dead on the vine, considering Snyder has no one in any DMV government capacity who either likes him or is willing to work with him. He has napalmed any relationship he has and I think that's half on him and half on Brucie.

49 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The whole thing is already messy with Smith being so chummy with the owner.  Smith is just kinda hovering over things, but if he wants a role somewhere, he's probably got one.

The new coach would have to be on board, assuming he didnt have his own people in mind.  Then again, if Smith was amenable to it, the new guy could come in and see what Smith and Haskins have going on and think it's one less thing to think about. 

I'm sure they've got a decent idea of what's going on. Smith is chummy with Snyder, Urban shows up for a game the week rumors of Bruce's possible exit on the horizon. I'm also pretty certain that some of this stuff has been in the works since predraft and Snyder was just waiting for an excuse to fire Gruden. Just seems like too much falling into the same line.

55 minutes ago, profusion said:

It wouldn't necessarily be a *bad* thing for me to have a lot more time to get things done on Sundays next fall.

I don't want Hue anywhere near our young QB or offense.  Marvin Lewis.......DC not head coach, I'd be fine with.  For head coach, not sure, but I'd like them to be defensive minded.  If we got Marvin back though as DC, going with an offensive minded HC wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either.

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I don't want Hue anywhere near our young QB or offense.  Marvin Lewis.......DC not head coach, I'd be fine with.  For head coach, not sure, but I'd like them to be defensive minded.  If we got Marvin back though as DC, going with an offensive minded HC wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either.

Given how the Bengals cratered this year, Marvin's tenure there starts to look better. He was able to get a horrible franchise up to "mildly competitive." He certainly has experience working with a nincompoop owner.

Problem is, bringing him here doesn't solve anything. He might be able to drag Dan and Bruce's sorry butts up to 8-8 or 9-7 year in and year out, but that's the ceiling.

I'd be interested to see what Marvin could do in a functional organization.

I'm not sure where to put this but I think we've discussed KOC some in this thread. its an article in the Athletic on KOC's philosophy 

https://theathletic.com/1467292/2019/12/17/what-kevin-oconnells-offense-might-look-like-if-he-were-the-redskins-coach/

Earlier I was asking where his philosophy comes from and if his plays were more Gruden or something else. We've been getting hints here and there, but this article gives a clear indication that its more of the later. 

29 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm not sure where to put this but I think we've discussed KOC some in this thread. its an article in the Athletic on KOC's philosophy 

https://theathletic.com/1467292/2019/12/17/what-kevin-oconnells-offense-might-look-like-if-he-were-the-redskins-coach/

Earlier I was asking where his philosophy comes from and if his plays were more Gruden or something else. We've been getting hints here and there, but this article gives a clear indication that its more of the later. 

O'Connell has talked about Jay being an influence before.  Ditto Chip Kelly.  The Pats.  

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 3.17.22 PM.png

6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I just heard on The Fan that Chris Spielman reported that he believes Meyer is looking for a GM position and might be helping Dan with our coaching search.

Did anyone hear anything about this?

Nope, but it wouldn't shock me, considering that our owner is dumbass

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Since you decided to go here, I'll give you the floor before I respond. Why doesn't it make Dan Snyder a dumbass? I'll hang up and listen

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Since you decided to go here, I'll give you the floor before I respond. Why doesn't it make Dan Snyder a dumbass? I'll hang up and listen

Not going to derail this thread.. you can PM me if you'd like.

Archived