Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

This whole "Alex Smith as GM" thing is incredibly confusing to me. The guy has never been a coach, never worked in any capacity in a FO, whether in college or the NFL....and now we want to make him an NFL GM? What exactly does he have on his resume to indicate he could do the job besides "knows some people and understands how to play football"? I think he'd be a great QB coach or offensive assistant to start out, but GM? Srsly?

16 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

No team can be successful without a qb. We will see what the do with Lock. But Denver has been far more successful than we have even without Elway.

Could we eliminate the money owed on Smith’s contract if he is hired to the FO?

I don't know. I've heard some rumors that if Alex officially retires then the some of the money goes away from the cap.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't know. I've heard some rumors that if Alex officially retires then the some of the money goes away from the cap.

If he retires he gives up the remaining guarantee money - unless he retires with some agreement. It of course that does not get rid of the signing bonus money. But it would be a CAP savings if he retired outright.  

24 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This whole "Alex Smith as GM" thing is incredibly confusing to me. The guy has never been a coach, never worked in any capacity in a FO, whether in college or the NFL....and now we want to make him an NFL GM? What exactly does he have on his resume to indicate he could do the job besides "knows some people and understands how to play football"? I think he'd be a great QB coach or offensive assistant to start out, but GM? Srsly?

I thought the same about John Lynch...I think they both had the same amount of experience: zero lol. So who knows. He could end up like Lynch or end up like Elway. Also, maybe Snyder's thinking more long-range with Smith, having him in the FO--but not as GM--for a while and see if he's got what it takes to eventually transition to a higher position....could be thinking Smith shows a ton of football intelligence and knowledge, and at least this way we have him in-house...kind of the Ozzie Newsome pathway to GM, although it would be 10 years from now lol...

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I thought the same about John Lynch...I think they both had the same amount of experience: zero lol. So who knows. He could end up like Lynch or end up like Elway. Also, maybe Snyder's thinking more long-range with Smith, having him in the FO--but not as GM--for a while and see if he's got what it takes to eventually transition to a higher position....could be thinking Smith shows a ton of football intelligence and knowledge, and at least this way we have him in-house...kind of the Ozzie Newsome pathway to GM, although it would be 10 years from now lol...

I would be OK with Alex in the FO learning the ropes to possibly become a GM down the road. He seems very smart and has the perfect demeanor from what I have been able to see of him. I am just not a fan of giving it to him without him having any time in a FO at all. 

I know people are bringing up John Lynch (not just you), but how much is him and how much is Kyle? Also, the early results do look good so fair enough, but it's not even been 2 yrs yet. On a side note, Kyle is the one I would liked for the Redskins to keep, even over Sean. But danny has too big an ego for that. Which is why whatever change he makes is unlikely to make that much difference. But at least when he makes a change we have a chance he might dumb his way into getting it right. 

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

No team can be successful without a qb. We will see what the do with Lock. But Denver has been far more successful than we have even without Elway.

Could we eliminate the money owed on Smith’s contract if he is hired to the FO?

-answered 

And Elway has swung and missed on QBs other than Peyton.  He's been the GM since 2011.  Their QB drafts consist of 

2012 - Brock Osweiler - 2nd round

2013 - Zack Dysert - 7th round

2015 - Trevor Siemian - 7th round

2016 - Paxton Lynch - 1st round

2017 - Chad Kelly - 7th round

2019 - Drew Lock - 2nd round

Year Lg Tm W L T Div. Finish Playoffs PF PA PD Coaches AV Passer Rusher Receiver Pts Yds Pts Yds T/G Pts± Yds± out of MoV SoS SRS OSRS DSRS
2019 NFL Denver Broncos 5 9 0 3rd of 4   239 284 -45 Fangio   Flacco Lindsay Sutton 30 27 10 12 14 22 25 32 -3.2 0.9 -2.3 -4.7 2.4
2018 NFL Denver Broncos 6 10 0 3rd of 4   329 349 -20 Joseph Miller Keenum Lindsay Sanders 24 19 13 22 8 18 23 32 -1.3 0.7 -0.5 -3.6 3.1
2017 NFL Denver Broncos 5 11 0 4th of 4   289 382 -93 Joseph Miller Siemian Anderson Thomas 27 17 22 3 31 27 8 32 -5.8 -0.9 -6.7 -3.9 -2.9
2016 NFL Denver Broncos 9 7 0 3rd of 4   333 297 36 Kubiak Miller Siemian Booker Thomas 22 27 4 4 13 9 14 32 2.3 1.8 4.0 -2.0 6.1
2015 NFL Denver Broncos* 12 4 0 1st of 4 Won SB 355 296 59 Kubiak Miller Manning Hillman Thomas 19 16 4 1 19 10 3 32 3.7 2.1 5.8 0.3 5.5
2014 NFL Denver Broncos* 12 4 0 1st of 4 Lost Div 482 354 128 Fox Thomas Manning Anderson Thomas 2 4 16 3 11 4 2 32 8.0 1.6 9.6 9.2 0.4
2013 NFL Denver Broncos* 13 3 0 1st of 4 Lost SB 606 399 207 Fox Vasquez Manning Moreno Thomas 1 1 22 19 14 1 1 32 12.9 -1.6 11.4 14.1 -2.7
2012 NFL Denver Broncos* 13 3 0 1st of 4 Lost Div 481 289 192 Fox Miller Manning McGahee Thomas 2 4 4 2 17 2 1 32 12.0 -1.9 10.1 6.3 3.8
2011 NFL Denver Broncos* 8 8 0 1st of 4 Lost Div 309 390 -81 Fox Miller Tebow McGahee Decker 25 23 24 20 26 25 27 32 -5.1 -0.2 -5.3 -3.6 -1

This is their history since he took over.  Manning was the leading passer for 4 double digit win seasons... seasons without Manning... 33 - 45.  Manning made that team.  Without Manning, we're on the same level.  

Manning supplemented the team. The defense arguably carried manning. Three of the guys you listed were 7th rounders. Can’t expect anything out of that. Osweiler is an ok backup. Lynch was a bust. It happens. You keep trying until you have one though. Can’t make it in this league without it. 

18 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Manning supplemented the team. The defense arguably carried manning. Three of the guys you listed were 7th rounders. Can’t expect anything out of that. Osweiler is an ok backup. Lynch was a bust. It happens. You keep trying until you have one though. Can’t make it in this league without it. 

In 2015 the defense carried Manning and that team. The other three years in Denver Manning had 37, 55, and 39 TDs with 11, 10, and 15 INTs respectively. You don't have a guy who throws that many TDs and that few interceptions and say the rest of the team carries him. 

What it says in the article...

Recent reports have connected Urban Meyer to the Cowboys’ head coaching job, which is widely expected to become vacant at the end of the season. In addition, Meyer was at FedEx Field on Sunday to take in the Eagles-Redskins game, which gave rise to a report that Washington would also make a play for Meyer for its own HC post.

While Meyer would almost certainly prefer to coach the Cowboys instead of the Redskins, Meyer himself said, “I think I’m done coaching,” as Brit Hume of Fox News tweets. Per Hume, Meyer was in town for a White House Christmas party after attending Saturday’s Army-Navy game, and he knew his presence at the Redskins’ home venue would create additional speculation about his future plans.

Of course, Meyer could have simply been trying to deflect such speculation, and he did recently indicate that the Dallas gig appealed to him. Ian Rapoport of NFL.com says Meyer is certainly enjoying his retirement from coaching, but he tells us to “stay tuned” (Twitter link).

For what it’s worth, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said that he will wait until after the season to evaluate head coach Jason Garrett, as Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram writes. But barring a Super Bowl win, it feels like Garrett will be seeking new employment in 2020.

Meyer is one of the most accomplished head coaches in college football history and boasts a 187-32 career record that includes a whopping 12-3 mark in Bowl Games. He also won three national championships, two with Florida and one with Ohio State

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think people are just reading into what they see...including me. It's not unprecedented. I also don't know how anyone can say it's a bad or good idea because there really isn't anything to go on other than the fact that he's supposedly a very bright guy and has played in the league. Smith played under Andy Reid, had a big hand in developing Mahomes and had a lot go on in his career. One other thing you could say is that the Skins have had and lost a lot of good young football minds over the past 6 plus years so maybe they do have some idea of how to judge young guys before they become bigger success stories. Ask the question, what made Bruce Allen so qualified to be an NFL GM? His dad? Look how long of rope he's had in the league....

4 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

They are in the first year of a rebuild. 

Actually they're in year 2 of a rebuild and they are improved. The Antonio Brown saga set them back some and they need a better QB. That being said it's inexcusable to lose to Jax in the last ever home game in Oakland. I feel for Raiders fans....sad to see the Raiders leaving those diehard fans behind. Last year was year one of the Raiders rebuild when they traded Khalil Mack to the Bears for multiple picks...they were embarrassingly bad last year.

24 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I think people are just reading into what they see...including me. It's not unprecedented. I also don't know how anyone can say it's a bad or good idea because there really isn't anything to go on other than the fact that he's supposedly a very bright guy and has played in the league. Smith played under Andy Reid, had a big hand in developing Mahomes and had a lot go on in his career. One other thing you could say is that the Skins have had and lost a lot of good young football minds over the past 6 plus years so maybe they do have some idea of how to judge young guys before they become bigger success stories. Ask the question, what made Bruce Allen so qualified to be an NFL GM? His dad? Look how long of rope he's had in the league....

But why do it when there are other smart people who actually have experience in FO operations? There are plenty of guys who played football and are smart. If those are the only qualifications, why not just ask Peyton Manning to be our GM? Isn't Mark Brunell super smart? 

It just makes no sense outside of off the wall speculation. And as far as Bruce Allen, nobody ever said he was especially qualified to be GM outside of his name. Not sure how he factors into this.

I was assuming everyone saw that Terry Mclaurin said Urban Meyer was there as his special guest and had nothing to do with him potentially coaching here. Further, The illness he left Ohio State for gives him massive headaches with stress. 

I think this is much ago about nothing. Don't see Meyer coming here. What I could see is Dan seeking Meyers advice on the quality of the roster and potential coaches. He would be a very good resource. 

But who knows, for I know he could be named HC tomorrow. Dan certainly does his own thing that's for sure. 

17 minutes ago, mistertim said:

But why do it when there are other smart people who actually have experience in FO operations? There are plenty of guys who played football and are smart. If those are the only qualifications, why not just ask Peyton Manning to be our GM? Isn't Mark Brunell super smart? 

It just makes no sense outside of off the wall speculation. And as far as Bruce Allen, nobody ever said he was especially qualified to be GM outside of his name. Not sure how he factors into this.

I guess my point is that what actually qualifies a guy as GM. Matt Millen was asked by Detroit's owner to be the GM and he was totally unprepared for the job let alone unqualified. He winged it for sure and was brutal. I wonder what the main essentials are in being a GM? I guess it depends on the organization. You'd think the salary cap complications alone would take a few years to learn but I guess they have advisors for that? Player personnel knowlege? Scouting department....How does Bruce keep landing jobs with his track record? I'm with you, gimme someone who's more qualified than Alex Smith but maybe Dan really finds him to be a new voice with a fresh, creative perspective? Maybe Alex is politicking for the job? Who knows. All I know is he already looks like he's on the inside of management the way he's so visible around Dan/Bruce.

18 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I wonder what the main essentials are in being a GM?

Same skillset as with any MBA: learn to administer people's skills in favor of the organization.

That's it. In the NFL that probably includes salary cap knowledge and specific locker-room knowledge.

It differs from the Team President. He's basically the CEO of the organization and its "public face".

24 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Same skillset as with any MBA: learn to administer people's skills in favor of the organization.

That's it. In the NFL that probably includes salary cap knowledge and specific locker-room knowledge.

It differs from the Team President. He's basically the CEO of the organization and its "public face".

It also differs quite a bit from team to team. Some GMs manage more of the direct decision-making, while others focus on hiring and overall "visioning" of the football organization. Some are basically gofers for a powerful head coach.

In a stable franchise like the Steelers, the GM can probably work his way up to it from the trenches. In a highly political organization like the Redskins, a real GM (not a figurehead) is going to be somebody who can scheme his way into things and essentially define his own role. Someone like Bruce. 

This offseason all depends on whether Dan wants to hire a strong coach as his primary goal. Those guys will demand a 'gofer' GM under their control.

I'm gonna throw a name out there to keep an eye on.

Arthur Smith.

He's currently the Titans OC that's resurrected Tannenhill's career. He's also been an assistant coach for NC & Ole Miss. Smith graduated rom NC in 2006 & then was hired for his first job as a Defensive Quality Assistant. Who hired him? Joe Gibbs. Smith was here in 07 -08, went to Ol Miss in 2010 as a Defensive intern & administrative assistant. He joined the Titans in 2011 serving as a Defensive quality control coach, Offensive quality control coach, OL & TE assistant coach, Assistant TE coach, TE coach, & became their OC this year. Oh, here's the kicker. His dad is Fred Smith. The guy that started FedEx, has a minority share in the Redskins ownership, & has been in Dan's ear about Bruce needing to be told he can take the window or he can take the stairs. :) 

Couple thoughts on the names mentioned:

Alex Smith for GM - the only qualification he has is that Snyder likes him. Let that sink in for a sec. 

Urban Meyer - the abuse allegations and suspension aren't good. He also has some legacy stuff from a former wife saying he was abusive. This is also his 3rd retirement. He cited health as the main concern, but this shows me he's had to jump ship 3 times now. That doesn't scream a long term solution. 

Archived