Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

Meyers offense was predicated on Elite speed and quick passes. This can be replicated in the NFL. It’s not the 7 seconds or less Chip Kelly gimmick. Speed kills, and Dwayne had 50 tds exploiting that. I would not mind Meyer at all. Though I would lean more towards Rex Ryan because I think our teams best strengths are along the defensive side of the field, I can acknowledge that offense runs this league. 

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Meyers offense was predicated on Elite speed and quick passes. This can be replicated in the NFL. It’s not the 7 seconds or less Chip Kelly gimmick. Speed kills, and Dwayne had 50 tds exploiting that. I would not mind Meyer at all. Though I would lean more towards Rex Ryan because I think our teams best strengths are along the defensive side of the field, I can acknowledge that offense runs this league. 

Well get Rex Ryan as the D coordinator. 🤔

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

As opposed to Bruce Allen being in charge which hasn't been a total disaster?

Of course I want Allen gone. But I want to replace him with a legitimate GM and then have him hire the coach. You know, the traditional power structure that every successful team runs.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Of course I want Allen gone. But I want to replace him with a legitimate GM and then have him hire the coach. You know, the traditional power structure that every successful team runs.

Oh i wasn't saying I'd want Meyer to be the GM as well. Just that I'd like to have a real GM and not Bruce in charge.

5 hours ago, profusion said:

I'd feel more comfortable with Meyer if he had any pro coaching experience at all. So much of college coaching is about the recruiting, rather than the X and O stuff. 

I agree with you t first statement, not so much the second.  I think in any profession, at any level, you would prefer to have someone who works their way up vertically, rather than someone who attempts a horizontal move from a similar industry, etc.  But thats not a hard and fast rule. 

A lot of recruiting is X and O's stuff --  reviewing high school game film,etc.  Every time Meyer talks about a recruit, he spends half the time talking about what he saw on the film that he liked about the recruit, and the other half talking about what he liked in the players personality (is he intense, a warrior, etc.)

I think NFL coaches are actually not all that.  I think they tend to be rigid, slow to accept new concepts in the game, and are far less creative than their college counter-parts.  The number of NFL coaches that are flops as college coaches nearly 100%, and most of it has to do with the fact that they bring their tired old NFL concepts to the college game -- which is much more advanced in actual design of new play concepts, etc.

The success of the Ravens is a good example.  Everyone's calling them geniuses, but those play concepts have been around in college football for over a decade -- they're almost getting stale from a college perspective.  COaches like Jim Harbaugh are another example.  He was very good in the NFL, but he;s just okay as a college coach -- matter of fact he might be about to get fired.  Harbaugh regularly gets out-couched by his college counterparts, and Michigan has lost several games because Harbaugh got outwitted on the X's and O's.

And Urban Meyer's secret to success is not in recruiting college players, but how much stock he puts in hiring the best and brightest assistant coaches.  He says he spends almost as much time reviewing and rating other coaches and their game tape, that he does on players.  Its not an accident that Ryan Day has the Buckeyes playing even better than Urban did -- Ryan Day was very specifically identified as a bright young mind by Urban, hired, and put in position to succeed. 

So if Urban is put in the position to pick the coaching staff, he will almost definitely succeed (probably better than any GM) in getting the best talent in football as his coaching staff.

The only real way that coaching in the NFL is more challenging than coaching in college is that professional players are different from college players.  They are more challenging to motivate, and with the much smaller roster sizes in the NFL, you cant really just replace them at will, like you can in college.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Just say no to Meyer. Poor track record of college coaches in the NFL and he's gonna want total control which ALWAYS turns into total disaster.

Poor record of college coaches who won via recruiting. The time to get Urban Meyer would have been when he was in Utah, but now it would be a complete disaster. Someone like Matt Rhuel or David Shaw that competes while sitting a little farther back on the recruiting table would be the way to go with a college coach IMO. Pete Carroll seems to be an anomaly, but he had already coached in the NFL and ran a pro defensive scheme at USC iirc, 

1 hour ago, Koala said:

A lot of recruiting is X and O's stuff --  reviewing high school game film,etc.  Every time Meyer talks about a recruit, he spends half the time talking about what he saw on the film that he liked about the recruit, and the other half talking about what he liked in the players personality (is he intense, a warrior, etc.)

I think NFL coaches are actually not all that.  I think they tend to be rigid, slow to accept new concepts in the game, and are far less creative than their college counter-parts.  The number of NFL coaches that are flops as college coaches nearly 100%, and most of it has to do with the fact that they bring their tired old NFL concepts to the college game -- which is much more advanced in actual design of new play concepts, etc.

The success of the Ravens is a good example.  Everyone's calling them geniuses, but those play concepts have been around in college football for over a decade -- they're almost getting stale from a college perspective.  COaches like Jim Harbaugh are another example.  He was very good in the NFL, but he;s just okay as a college coach -- matter of fact he might be about to get fired.  Harbaugh regularly gets out-couched by his college counterparts, and Michigan has lost several games because Harbaugh got outwitted on the X's and O's.

And Urban Meyer's secret to success is not in recruiting college players, but how much stock he puts in hiring the best and brightest assistant coaches.  He says he spends almost as much time reviewing and rating other coaches and their game tape, that he does on players.  Its not an accident that Ryan Day has the Buckeyes playing even better than Urban did -- Ryan Day was very specifically identified as a bright young mind by Urban, hired, and put in position to succeed. 

So if Urban is put in the position to pick the coaching staff, he will almost definitely succeed (probably better than any GM) in getting the best talent in football as his coaching staff.

The only real way that coaching in the NFL is more challenging than coaching in college is that professional players are different from college players.  They are more challenging to motivate, and with the much smaller roster sizes in the NFL, you cant really just replace them at will, like you can in college.

Urban Meyer absolutely won via recruiting at OSU. I could win games with SEC kids lining up against mostly B10. He created a situation in which there was no parity in talent and just like Spurrier and Saban, he'll fold when he doesn't have that luxury. NFL coaches hire bright young minds too, as is evident with oh I don't know, the team we're all fans of.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a Callahan guy though I don't dislike him either.   Snider is killing him for the field goal at the end of the game as opposed to going for it.  I was cool with it. 

Me too. The defense has got to do better. It was pretty pathetic in the second half. Some really dubious calls going against us didn't help either.

And I want a threesome with Emelia Clarke, Sophie Turner and Nathalie Emmanuel.  

We don’t always get what we want. 

Really?   That isn't how the Pats do it.   Or the Chiefs.   Or the Saints.    Or the Seahawks.    It is true every crap team follows that standard though.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a Callahan guy though I don't dislike him either.   Snider is killing him for the field goal at the end of the game as opposed to going for it.  I was cool with it. 

I haven’t watched the game yet, 2 different Christmas parties got in the way.

I think Callahan deserves a lot of credit for keeping the team motivated, and playing hard. I don’t think he should be a full-time coaching candidate.

However, wasn’t this the best case scenario?  Play fairly well, be competitive and lose?  What are people complaining about?

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

With Urban Meyer at HC and Bruce Allen picking the players we may see an 0-16 season. 

The only reason Meyer or ANY established coach would come here is because of the players Allen brought in.   If Haskins, Guice, McLaurin, Allen, Payne, etc. are our core and we are good we build a statue to Allen in five years.   I doubt we get Meyer, cause we have been once bitten on the college coach thing.   But I suspect we get a big name largely because our core makes us the most attractive possibility without complete rebuild being clearly necessary.

31 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Urban Meyer absolutely won via recruiting at OSU. I could win games with SEC kids lining up against mostly B10. He created a situation in which there was no parity in talent and just like Spurrier and Saban, he'll fold when he doesn't have that luxury. NFL coaches hire bright young minds too, as is evident with oh I don't know, the team we're all fans of.  

What?  SEC kids???  The only SEC player Urban ever poached is Justin FIelds.  Urban is a strong believer in national recruiting over regional recruiting.  He recruits out of Florida, Texas, Georgia, and Ohio cause those are the best places to recruit from.  It has nothing to do with SEC territory -- unless you think Texas and Ohio are somehow SEC territory, or that all 5 star recruits are somehow the sole domain of the SEC :rolleyes

ANyho, I digress.  I never said Urban doesnt win via recruiting.  I just pointed out that he deserves credit for recruiting coaches, not just players.  And besides, his recruiting experience only helps make his case that he can be both GM and Head Coach -- he's used to having to assemble a team from the ground up, and still call plays and be a head coach.  

I really cant believe that fans of a team that just spent 8 or 9 years  under Jim Zorn and Jay Gruden is gonna get uppity about having Urban Meyer as a head coach.  We cant even seem to get a decent candidate in the door, and we wanna quibble about Urban???   Im pretty sure Urban wont even take this job -- it simply lacks the prestige, and would be a major step-down from the Ohio State Buckeyes.   

Dallas, on the other hand, is still a prestigious franchise -- get over it.  THis isnt 1991, there is not a even a small bit of prestige associated with the Washington Redskins.  This is  a bottom-of-the barrel job, and will continue to be so long as Dan Snyder owns it.  Nobody with a modicum of self-respect even thinks about taking a job here -- and unbelievably we got fans with the chutzpah to pretend that beggars can be choosers.  SMH, sometimes I think the fans of this franchise and Dan Snyder deserve each other -- both of you are living in a long-forgotten past and are shockingly unaware that we are probably the single biggest joke in the NFL, and maybe all of professional sports.

4 minutes ago, Art said:

The only reason Meyer or ANY established coach would come here is because of the players Allen brought in.   If Haskins, Guice, McLaurin, Allen, Payne, etc. are our core and we are good we build a statue to Allen in five years.   I doubt we get Meyer, cause we have been once bitten on the college coach thing.   But I suspect we get a big name largely because our core makes us the most attractive possibility without complete rebuild being clearly necessary.

This is a team-centric take. Hardly unbiased.  Reeks of typical Redskins complete lack of self awareness. 

Agree w/ crediting Bruce with drafting well. He also has to take ownership of the 3-11 record.  Lots of free agent mistakes, hiring buddies, etc.  Can’t have one without the other. 

Archived