Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, TK said:

Sounds so familiar. Where could I have that name 2 days before that tweet......

:) 

Does this mean Bruce stays then?  IF not, then who takes over as VP of FB ops and GM?  Other than being Defensive Asst./Quality Control with Gibbs under Redskins he really doesn't jump off the books as someone who is a hot candidate for HC.  Maybe he's the next great HC but I'm guessing Gibbs is pushing him off on Snyder.  

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

Does this mean Bruce stays then?  IF not, then who takes over as VP of FB ops and GM?  Other than being Defensive Asst./Quality Control with Gibbs under Redskins he really doesn't jump off the books as someone who is a hot candidate for HC.  Maybe he's the next great HC but I'm guessing Gibbs is pushing him off on Snyder.  

My Cat could take over as Redskins GM and you wouldn't see any difference. 

HTTR 

A young coach with the Shanahan offensive influence under them is the way I'm leaning toward for who I'd like to see as our next HC. As everyone knows, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay and Matt LeFleur are all young HC's with a Shanahan background. 

The guy that quietly fits this mold and is available is Kevin Stefanski from the Vikings. Although he hasn't directly worked under Mike Shanahan, he is working with Gary Kubiak now in Minnesota. Other than Mike Shanahan himself, there is nobody more knowledgable of the Shanahan offensive philosophy than Kubiak, as he played and coached under Mike for years. And when Kubiak was the HC in Houston, Kyle was his OC.

With a year working with Kubiak, I would add Stefanski as a young and upcoming offensive minded coach who is, though not directly from the Shanahan coaching tree, being with Kubiak for a year puts him in kind of an under the radar from being from it. He's only 37 years old and I don't have much doubt he will lead an explosive offense when he gets his shot at being a HC. How he is able to lead will be a question mark, but that's going to be the case with any first time HC we might hire. 

I hope we give Stefanski a strong look and I definitely wouldn't hate it if he were to become our next HC. 

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

‘Hiring Arthur Smith would be a horrendous decision.  You can’t hire a minority owner’s son as HC.  Would be a laughable move akin to the Zorn hire.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I don't know HigSkin.  I might do a pass on that.  I hope we get some new blood HCin here that can picks us a drill type sergeant type DC.  

He knows the NFCE and could provide some 'senior' stability, especially if we end up with a young coordinator HC or college HC.  🙂

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

He knows the NFCE and could provide some 'senior' stability, especially if we end up with a young coordinator HC or college HC.  🙂

I hear ya but I have my reservations.  His D has been pretty bad this season.  

36 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I hear ya but I have my reservations.  His D has been pretty bad this season.  

Well, comparatively speaking...

I have NO idea what was put out on the field today defensively; I have never seen guys SOOOOO wide open as the Giant receivers were.

Whoever the DBs coach is should be working at a golf course. Regardless of them putting back-ups in, those guys had no idea how to play the game nor did they know what to be looking for; well, except the Giant WRs streaking by them. Holes? No, those were grand canyons.

Just got through watching the game after a full day travelling back from Western Asia/ the Middle East forced me to miss the kick-off. Which probably says more about my insanity than anything else to walk into the house and immediately turn to the Redskins. The 'joys' of being a fan huh?

FWIW, my hat, as it has been from the first game in South Florida, is still FIRMLY in the Callahan ring the way the young guns are giving everything for, and developing/ growing, under, him. 

I'm resigned to Allen staying regardless so I'm sound with a proper players Coach, and stand up guy which is rarity around these here parts, continuing to build with these kids. With a few savvy vet. additions and some better coaches to teach them (particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Starting with the DC), I firmly believe we have the basis to build something tangible going forward. 

Put into context, the 100% fight and commitment we're still putting out in the face of everything is superb to see and fills you with pride that far belies the record in what's been another horrid year for Redskins football on that score. But with a lot to be encouraged about within that with the core of this young group. 

Hail. 

37 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Well, comparatively speaking...

I have NO idea what was put out on the field today defensively; I have never seen guys SOOOOO wide open as the Giant receivers were.

Whoever the DBs coach is should be working at a golf course. Regardless of them putting back-ups in, those guys had no idea how to play the game nor did they know what to be looking for; well, except the Giant WRs streaking by them. Holes? No, those were grand canyons.

Eh, the DBs were introducing themselves to each other in pregame this week.  I’ll give them a pass.

I’d have a long talk with Alex Smith about potentially coaching somehow. He has been regarded as one of the brightest football minds among players for some time. I’ve seen it stated pre injury that a lot of people know that he will be the type to have a good coaching career.

also, I’d like to find someone that can actually coach defense.

the team always underperforms and has been dreadfully bad against one of the weakest schedules I’ve ever seen. 

the Scheme is trash can tier and the players are not being used to their strengths. This is a bend and break defense where they will play down to their opponents offense with an absolute drubbing every couple games. Unacceptable. Get someone in here with knowledge of the current tendencies of college and the nfl and remind the highly drafted defense that they do in fact know how to play football.

and for the love of god, get someone fast enough to bend the edge and sack the qb.

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

He hasn't been in the NFC East since, what, 2010?

Wade Phillips is overrated. He's got a D with the likes of Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey and is still getting absolutely crapped on.

I'd rather find the next young up and coming defensive mind.

36 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He hasn't been in the NFC East since, what, 2010?

Wade Phillips is overrated. He's got a D with the likes of Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey and is still getting absolutely crapped on.

I'd rather find the next young up and coming defensive mind.

No he's not.  He's been consistently a top DC and well respected over his years when he's coached -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Phillips

Houston Texans

Prior to the 2011 season,[11] Phillips was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Houston Texans replacing Frank Bush, who was released by Texans owner Bob McNair.[12] The Texans defense made major improvements on defense in Phillips's first year calling Houston's defense. Houston allowed the fourth-fewest points in the league in 2011 (compared to fourth-most in 2010), the second-fewest yards allowed (third-most in 2010) and third-fewest yards per play (4.8, compared to 6.0, second-worst in 2010).

Denver (second stint)

On January 28, 2015, Phillips joined Gary Kubiak's staff at the Denver Broncos as the defensive coordinator; Phillips' second stint at that position with the team. Phillips replaced his predecessor's complex wait-and-react scheme with a simple style of going after the ball, making Denver the top-ranked defense that season which carried the team to a 12–4 record and the number one seed in the AFC despite their offensive struggles. In Super Bowl 50, played on February 7, 2016, in Santa Clara, California, the game was seen by some as a contest between Phillips and Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula, as both of them were sons of well-known NFL coaches, and as Carolina had the top-ranked offense in the 2015 regular season.[15] Denver's defense shut down Carolina and Cam Newton in a 24–10 victory, giving Phillips the first Super Bowl victory of his career

Los Angeles Rams

After a successful stint with the Denver Broncos, Phillips left to become defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams, alongside new head coach Sean McVay.

In Super Bowl LIII, Phillip's defense was credited with keeping the New England Patriots and Tom Brady out of the end zone until the fourth quarter, as the Rams only trailed by a field goal for the first three quarters despite the Patriots' offense having the majority of possession. The Patriots' offense had to resort to running the ball often which eventually tired out the Rams defensive line.[17] However, the Rams' top-ranked offense that game was stifled and they lost to the Patriots, 13–3

Ranked #1 2017 - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20746026/nfl-best-offensive-defensive-special-teams-coordinators-25-years

Ranked #6 2015 - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498479/article/wade-phillips-vic-fangio-among-top-10-defensive-coordinators

14 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

A young coach with the Shanahan offensive influence under them is the way I'm leaning toward for who I'd like to see as our next HC. As everyone knows, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay and Matt LeFleur are all young HC's with a Shanahan background. 

The guy that quietly fits this mold and is available is Kevin Stefanski from the Vikings. Although he hasn't directly worked under Mike Shanahan, he is working with Gary Kubiak now in Minnesota. Other than Mike Shanahan himself, there is nobody more knowledgable of the Shanahan offensive philosophy than Kubiak, as he played and coached under Mike for years. And when Kubiak was the HC in Houston, Kyle was his OC.

With a year working with Kubiak, I would add Stefanski as a young and upcoming offensive minded coach who is, though not directly from the Shanahan coaching tree, being with Kubiak for a year puts him in kind of an under the radar from being from it. He's only 37 years old and I don't have much doubt he will lead an explosive offense when he gets his shot at being a HC. How he is able to lead will be a question mark, but that's going to be the case with any first time HC we might hire. 

I hope we give Stefanski a strong look and I definitely wouldn't hate it if he were to become our next HC. 

Another complete revamping of the offensive line while the Redskins develop a promising rookie QB?  Awesome. 

So... assuming we cut the festering tumor from the FO, who could we lure here (assuming tumor was the one who kept Dan's better Angel's at bay with lowballing people, and he starts cutting fat checks again) to lead a 4-3 revival if Young is our man?

Could Bowles be a good fit? I think he'd know what to do with guys like Sweat and Payne. Add Young and I think we'd be getting consistent pressure with the front 4 with rotational guys like Kerrigan (on 3rd down we hope, as a rush end), Settle, etc

Right now, I feel real good about a Bienemy/Bowles combo. Both men seem like excellent, level headed teachers and tacticians 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So... assuming we cut the festering tumor from the FO, who could we lure here (assuming tumor was the one who kept Dan's better Angel's at bay with lowballing people, and he starts cutting fat checks again) to lead a 4-3 revival if Young is our man?

Could Bowles be a good fit? I think he'd know what to do with guys like Sweat and Payne. Add Young and I think we'd be getting consistent pressure with the front 4 with rotational guys like Kerrigan (on 3rd down we hope, as a rush end), Settle, etc

Right now, I feel real good about a Bienemy/Bowles combo. Both men seem like excellent, level headed teachers and tacticians 

I like Bienemy but a strong NO to Bowles.  He showed his hand in NY.  JMO.  :) 

The narrative about Calahann and the fight the team has shown over the past few weeks.

I would argue with the slew of young contributors we have means these players have something to prove. This is not just for a new coach but for their staying power in the league. If you havent established yourself as a proven NFL starter then you will be looking to fight and earn playing time. Typically we have Vet players so when seasons went south they either check out due to health or lose motivation as they don't have anything to play for.

With that being said a new GM I believe is the priority.  If said decision maker wants a defensive general or an up and coming offensive guru so be it. The path of least resistance would be a defensive coach that would keep O'Connell as OC. 

I believe most importantly we secure a new GM and rid ourselves of Bruce Allen. Any outcome after that is appealing... simply from a fresh prespectative point of view.

Archived