Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

Just now, Andre The Giant said:

i agree it certainly wouldn’t be as exciting as Meyer (my hope).  I just remember when Snyder didn’t hire Jim Fassel because of negative fan feedback and instead chose Jim Zorn.  Would prefer not to see a repeat. 

Just like Fassel IMO would have been a solid choice, so would Marvin. Just not the most exciting selection. 

I am not a big Callahan guy but I'd take him over Lewis.  So to me its different from that era. 

Especially after watching the Saban/Belichick special and listening about how obsessed they are at getting their players ready to play including the motivation aspect (Belichick isn't a firebrand motivator so some mistake him as a dude who doesn't care about that but the reality is different), reading over the years here and there about Lewis defending his low key vanilla personality as if it doesn't matter -- again "meh" to me. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/12/12/16765402/marvin-lewis-not-my-responsibility-bengals-motivated-nfl-football-2017

Marvin Lewis says it’s “not my responsibility” to get Bengals motivated to play

Coordinators of playoff teams with a bye often interview during the bye week.  With the ravens getting a bye, it would be a crime to not reach out to roman to at least attempt to interview him.  Same with joe Brady if the saints secure the bye too.  You have nothing to lose with an interview.  But I agree with above, I hope a gm is in place very soon, and it's the GM's call to interview and eventually hire his guy.  Wishful thinking.

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Coordinators of playoff teams with a bye often interview during the bye week.  With the ravens getting a bye, it would be a crime to not reach out to roman to at least attempt to interview him.  Same with joe Brady if the saints secure the bye too.  You have nothing to lose with an interview.  But I agree with above, I hope a gm is in place very soon, and it's the GM's call to interview and eventually hire his guy.  Wishful thinking.

Why is it too much to ask for a normal process? Snyder can't keep his ignorant self out of the process for some crazy reason. Makes me wonder what Joe Gibbs is telling him to make the guy think his silly process works.

Marvin Lewis SMFH. Keep hiring your buddies Dan and prepare to lose the few remaining fans of your garbage franchise. 

Perhaps the most exciting thing is the expected replacement of Marvin Lewis as head coach. After 15 seasons with zero playoff victories, and an abysmal record against teams with winning records, it’s well past time for the Bengals to look for somebody who can exceed what Lewis did...every now and then it would be nice to step beyond “good”, and have a “great” season that makes some postseason noise.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2017/12/29/16829010/behind-enemy-lines-cincinnati-bengals-q-a-with-cincy-jungle-aj-green-andy-dalton-marvin-lewis

Lewis is 0-7 in the postseason, the worst mark in NFL coaching history. After a six-win season last year, he and owner Mike Brown weren’t able to agree on a contract extension beyond 2017.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/24/bengals-coach-marvin-lewis-still-coy-about-future-/?utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=chacka&utm_campaign=TWT+-+DSA&gclid=Cj0KCQiAl5zwBRCTARIsAIrukdNzVpbqG-ouctfB1734JmCZ1c8m_0k389cc5jTCh8UpR4_IXmtCzM8aAqAOEALw_wcB

Right now the Bengals have arguably the worst defense in football. It’s 32nd in total yards and 31st in points allowed. Part of the reason for this? Running back Joe Mixon seems to think it has nothing to do with talent. He’s sensed a certain atmosphere this season. One he doesn’t care for. It involves the team with less of an alpha mentality and more a passive one

“I’m tired of playing not to lose, rather than playing to win,” he said, via Elise Jesse of WLWT-TV in Cincinnati. “We just got to go out there, and we got to go win. We’ve just got to do it instead of just keep talking about it. Just go put it out there and go win.”

It’s hard not to view this as a criticism of head coach Marvin Lewis given this is something that’s been said about him for years. He’s a conservative coach and it tends to bite him at bad times.

Marvin Lewis running out of explanations for bad football

It’s always been felt that something big was needed for Lewis to finally get fired by the Bengals. A collapse to a losing record after starting 4-1 sounds like something that would do it. One thing he’s managed to survive on for so long was getting the team to stay competitive. This could be the third straight year his team has missed the playoffs. That’s happened before. The difference this time though is all three are threatening to be losing seasons.

...Mixon isn’t wrong. The guy simply doesn’t know how to coach aggressively. He’s so afraid of turnovers that he’s built an entire team on trying to limit their effect. Otherwise known as playing not to lose. Meanwhile they’ve been crushed by teams like New Orleans and Kansas City, teams that are constantly on the attack.

If he hasn’t learned the lesson by now, he never will.

https://nflmocks.com/2018/11/24/cincinnati-bengals-joe-mixon-critical-marvin-lewis-style/

And no kidding Marvin Lewis is high on Dan Snyder’s radar, he’s the perfect Dan Snyder hire. Won’t cause any problems, won’t get out of line, will just keep his head down and collect paychecks like he did in Cincinnati. My man coached the Bengals for 16 (!!!!!) years without success. 0-7 in playoff games. More generically bland .500 seasons than you can throw a chicken at. Though I will say his annual loss to the Texas in the early Wild Card game was always something to look forward to.

I don’t want a retread at head coach. Spare me these old football guys who punt on 4th and 1 from the 48 yard line. There are so many bright young football minds out there- find one. Why are other teams so good at finding good young coaches like Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, and Matt LaFleur, and the Redskins can’t seem to find guys like them anywhere?

When you take how close Haskins and Smith were with Meyer and how close Snyder is with both players, to me it makes sense that Meyer is involved in the search as the very least but I think it's more.  I think he becomes part of the organization.  Just a guess.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not to belabor the point, but I feel the board needs some balance in relation to Marvin. 

He’s not my top choice, but he is a good coach.  Would be a solid hire.  Plus, and this is really important IMO, he’s coached here under Snyder before.  Reduces the chance of more significant drama in DC. 

Don't post much, but was just wondering why Todd Bowles receives no love form the board, Good defensive coach, ex-skin, disciplinarian, superbowl winner and knows the commitment it takes to win a superbowl. Coached under belichick, won ten games in 2015 with jets and Ryan Fitxpatrick as qb. And if you think the jets were talented check this out https://www.nj.com/jets/2018/08/ranking_jets_mike_maccagnans_2015-17_nfl_draft_pic.html.

10 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Not to belabor the point, but I feel the board needs some balance in relation to Marvin. 

He’s not my top choice, but he is a good coach.  Would be a solid hire.  Plus, and this is really important IMO, he’s coached here under Snyder before.  Reduces the chance of more significant drama in DC. 

That's your opinion.  And you got a right to it.   I'd agree with your point if its what's wrong with returning to 2015-2018 style mediocrity. I agree he can bring back the 7-9, 8-8 era.  But I am just not that jazzed about it.  He's not horrible IMO or that good.  He's OK.  After a season like this, i am just not getting fired up about a 61 year old OK coach coupled with a coach who IMO is less than OK in Hugh Jackson.   

5 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

@Skinsinparadise this is nothing but speculation on my part but I wonder if the Lewis rumors could be a smokescreen or possibly leaked out information just to get a feel from the fanbase? 

Maybe.  So I figure I got nothing to lose to trash it.  ;)  Since that's how I feel.  It's easy to see on twitter this rumor is not going over well. 

Washington owner Daniel Snyder is open to a wide-scale reshaping of his football operations department as part of his ongoing head coaching search, sources said, and has strong interest in former Panthers coach Ron Rivera.

Snyder's primary objective would be to acquire the rights to Mike Tomlin's contract from the Steelers, league sources maintain, though he views the odds of completing such a trade to be remote at best. In the interim, he has weighed Rivera for his opening, as well as former Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, Jets defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, Bucs defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and former college coach Urban Meyer, sources said.

Longtime team president Bruce Allen's future remains in doubt, with him potentially moved to a non-football role or fired as soon as Monday, the sources said. Rivera is expected to have several options for future employment, and would be hesitant to enter into any quick arrangement with Washington. Lewis, Williams and Bowles all have former ties to the organization and/or Snyder. Snyder is working essentially alone on this search, sources said, not involving other members of his current football operations staff in the endeavor.

There has been persistent chatter in league circles that Snyder has already met with multiple candidates; he denied that through Washington's public relations department. With Allen's future in doubt, Snyder has also done research on several personnel executives, sources said, with former Texans GM Rick Smith and former Washington exec Louis Riddick (now with ESPN) among those on his radar.

This has not been an attractive job in the past, with the team struggling in all facets since Snyder took over two decades ago and failing to come close to winning consistently. Snyder is a big proponent of rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins, a first-round pick, and is also high on members of his offensive staff, including offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell and interim head coach Bill Callahan. Keeping them on staff is a distinct possibility, which could further lead the team to end up hiring a head coach with more of a defensive background (Rivera, Williams, Bowles and Lewis are all on that side of the ball).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-have-strong-interest-in-ron-rivera-and-could-also-shake-up-front-office-this-offseason/

14 minutes ago, jhug said:

Don't post much, but was just wondering why Todd Bowles receives no love form the board, Good defensive coach, ex-skin, disciplinarian, superbowl winner and knows the commitment it takes to win a superbowl. Coached under belichick, won ten games in 2015 with jets and Ryan Fitxpatrick as qb. And if you think the jets were talented check this out https://www.nj.com/jets/2018/08/ranking_jets_mike_maccagnans_2015-17_nfl_draft_pic.html.

I read the NY papers a lot.   He didn't really in the end have a reputation of being a discipline guy.  He has zero personality who seems to have zero motivational skills.  A mess with clock management.  They'd blow a lot of leads.

I posted a lot of articles about Bowles which got into all of those points.  To me he's a good coordinator but meh head coach. 

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/wfan-joe-benigno-new-york-jets-todd-bowles-he-may-be-worst-coach-nfl

The duo took aim at head coach Todd Bowles’ costly decisions throughout the defeat.

“It’s never Todd Bowles’ fault, it’s unbelievable,” Benigno said. “This guy is a horrendous… and I’ve said it a million times. Right now, with Hue Jackson now out of the picture – he may be the worst coach in the NFL. They are such a poorly-coached football team. 

9 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

SIP I totally agree with your feelings about Lewis.  It just seems like there are far better and way more options out there even if we had the same FO structure 

I am not in love with Rivera as a choice, I like him, but I am becoming infatuated based on the other rumors.  Maybe that's Dan's master evil plan?   😀

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a big Callahan guy but I'd take him over Lewis.  So to me its different from that era. 

Not a big Callahan fan, and would be alike Marvin Lewis to me.

Still, bot does have an interest if the ultimate goal is to groom KOC for a year or two before naming him HC.

If that's your plan, then you'd like to have a HC that can serve as interim, and Callahan is perfect to that. You can sign him short, and let him go at the end of 2020 to name KOC HC and rides with it. Let's face it, with a brand new HC and GM, we're not gonna see a 3-13/12-4 turnaround in one offseason. So at the very least, you can ride Callahan next year, improve to 6-10/7-9 and let him go after a total of 2 years (which is what Callahan last usually as a HC) and let KOC ride free.

If we go with Bienemy or a young HC like this, then you can kiss KOC goodbye for sure.

48 minutes ago, profusion said:

So many wild rumors about both HC and GM. I'm just going to wait until Sunday night to focus in on this.

You should wait for monday 05:00 AM.

1 minute ago, tmandoug1 said:

Next two days will be interesting to say the least. Bruce gone Sunday night at midnight and Rivera announced Monday morning. D. WILLIAMS moves up.

I would go from excited to "MEH"....

Archived