Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

1 hour ago, SkinsFootball said:

The narrative about Calahann and the fight the team has shown over the past few weeks.

I would argue with the slew of young contributors we have means these players have something to prove. This is not just for a new coach but for their staying power in the league. If you havent established yourself as a proven NFL starter then you will be looking to fight and earn playing time. Typically we have Vet players so when seasons went south they either check out due to health or lose motivation as they don't have anything to play for.

With that being said a new GM I believe is the priority.  If said decision maker wants a defensive general or an up and coming offensive guru so be it. The path of least resistance would be a defensive coach that would keep O'Connell as OC. 

I believe most importantly we secure a new GM and rid ourselves of Bruce Allen. Any outcome after that is appealing... simply from a fresh prespectative point of view.

The only thing about this is that we have seen Redskins teams pack it in and go through the motion before. Gruden's teams were pretty good at folding and coming out flat. Shanny too. The towel has been thrown by this team too many teams.

Callahan does deserve credit for that and for sitting vets who weren't producing. I don't think he's the guy moving forward, but what he's done is noteworthy.

Callahan is a respected NFL veteran so its on surprise he's gotten guys to play hard. The big thing to me was is willingness to play young guys.

With that said, there is no way he should be the long term head coach moving forward. We need someone who actually knows a thing or two about modern NFL offenses. Callahan's gameplan hasn't worked since the 80s.

For me, it should be a defensive minded coach if the possibility of Chase Young is on the board. 

1. Rex Ryan 

2. Robert Saleh

3. Leslie Frazier

imo, Rex would be the easiest transition to success due to his brother already being here, his vocal interest in the position earlier this year, and his track record. Frazier a no.2 in that aspect. Saleh would be 3rd as I see him wanting to have full control. 

10 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

I’m inclined to give Callahan the job, and require a new D Coordinator.

That wouldn't be the most popular decision, but I am on board with what you are thinking.  Callahan has progressed this team perfectly as well.  This team is night and day compared to where Jay had it going.  We are competitive, players are accountable, organized, penalties are reduced big time, he has benched those who cannot perform, progressed Haskins, recognizes his coaches and players efforts, and the games are actually fun to watch again even though we have been losing.

I would be fine with Callahan being our HC for the future, but I doubt it happens.  He's one hell of a coach.

Callahan? Really? 

The coach who everybody knew wasn't going for 2 at the end of the last game because...he had faith in our D! 

I got a lot of respect for what he did. Got players back in line and work hard but I feel he is not a good long term head coach. The early gameplans were way to conservative and the way he plays to. Today's game is way more attacking and aggressive.

Beside that I feel it's a risky option. If he is the head coach, O coordinator will run O. D coordinator D. He will just be tone setter, motivator, overall leader. If you then become successful as a team, people will grab you O or D coordinator. You need to replace that. I rather have a head coach with his own vision gameplan and calling plays. If then somebody leaves it's not that bad. 

Third point. Grabbing a head coach from an other team weakens them. It keeps the competitive balance. You have a good coordinator who is making the difference? Not any more! He is now doing that for us. 

Finlay said no chance Callahan is the coach from what he hears.  If so, good.  And I don't mean it with any bitterness.   I don't dislike him.  He's all right.  I like the discipline-structure and professional air about him.  But its not like this team has been 2-14 every season and Callahan saved the day with a 3-7 season and likely 3-8.  We've gone 9-7, 8-7-1, 7-9, 7-9 in the previous seasons not 4-12.  

So I think the Callahan part of the season which is to mostly lose but do so often in a die hard way has some merits from how they started but IMO it's also a bit overplayed.     Among other things, I can't buy that Callahan is so detailed when he's a lost puppy with clock management-time outs and doesn't even know that the team has analytics guys on staff.   So i don't fully buy into the professor image he seems to convey.  But there are some good things about him too. Overall, he's so so IMO. 

I was listening to Keim just now who said that Bruce might survive.  He's not betting on it but he isn't sure.  He said that Bruce is a turnoff to prospective coaches. But there are some in that building who think they can sway a new coach with Bruce still in the building because Dan is willing to pay big. 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He said that Bruce is a turnoff to prospective coaches. But there are some in that building who think they can sway a new coach with Bruce still in the building because Dan is willing to pay big. 

See? It's still not about winning. Dan really really needs to keep his Moron Brigade intact.

6 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

See? It's still not about winning. Dan really really needs to keep his Moron Brigade intact.

You got to remember they came close to beating the Giants.   Heck a week before that they almost beat the Eagles.  That's not easy to do.  They've lost the last 9 games to the NFC East rivals but you got to factor about how many times they were close to actually winning those games.   Why break up the band when they are so close to achieving so much.  20 years for Dan, 10 for Bruce.  It's usually year 11 (for Bruce) or in Dan's case year 21 when the winning really kicks in.  There is nothing wrong with anything they are doing.  We just got to be patient.  😀

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

Actually this is year 21 for Doofus Dan. He'll be well into his 3rd decade of buffoonery soon.

:beavisnbutthead:

I stand corrected, so year 22.   In a dark comedy kind of way it would be wild to see if Dan does try to resell the FO with Bruce and some nostalgia hiring or promotion to try to distract people.  I think that trick has been played out and won't work.    But would be wild to see him try.   

I said this last off season, if Dan thought 2018 was bad as for fan attendance and TV ratings wait until 2019.  If he doubles down on the clown show for 2020, he's seen nothing yet.  They could get lucky.  They draft Young.  Get some buzz, etc.  But it will ultimately fizzle unless they are really good (not just mediocre), it will be worse IMO than this year. 

9 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

I’m inclined to give Callahan the job, and require a new D Coordinator.

My thoughts exactly...this is my final decision..retain Callahan and o'Connell and bring in a new d coordinator. I've been loving the play calling lately...seeing some of the trickery stuff gibbs used to use..I like this coaching staff...minus the d coordinator lol

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Who in the building thinks Dan can convince a quality coach to come here with Bruce; just by paying $$$$$$$$$$$?

It doesn't really matter if he can or not.

Can pig's fly? If so, who cares? Doesn't make the bacon any better does it?

A dumpster fire with or without a top coach has always maintained dumpster fire status with Doofus Dan running the circus with or without Bumbling Bruce.

Would Callahan even want the job? In his first press conferences he didn't seem interested in doing this long term. I kind of wonder if there's been some kind of head coaching mentor ship thing with KOC this whole time. O'Connell takes the head job, Callahan returns to the O-line/co-head coach job whatever title he had. I think I'd be okay with this as long as Manusky is gone.

Unfortunately this is probably the likely scenario that means Bruce stays or is reassigned. Smith probably takes over the "GM" position. 

This could all happen if Bruce is fired/retired too I guess. 

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay said no chance Callahan is the coach from what he hears.  If so, good.  And I don't mean it with any bitterness.   I don't dislike him.  He's all right.  I like the discipline-structure and professional air about him.  But its not like this team has been 2-14 every season and Callahan saved the day with a 3-7 season and likely 3-8.  We've gone 9-7, 8-7-1, 7-9, 7-9 in the previous seasons not 4-12.  

Yeah on the cold hard facts of the record.

But when you add context to the winless carnage he inherited and the injury-depleted, super young team he's been leading most weeks, it puts a completely different slant on that.

Hail.   

15 hours ago, burgngold fan said:

I don't think Callahan makes any defensive changes if he's stays!  

I'd like to think if he knew he had the gig on a permy basis then he'd make the relevant changes around him. And I doubt he'd take it withiut having full autonomy over the football side in that regard. As he had with Haskins. 

Given the situation he inherited 5 weeks in, to start over with new coaches too would have added to the mess at that time. 

Hail. 

@Gibbs Hog Heaven

It's not all about the record for me.  I like aspects of Callahan and don't like some other aspects of him.  Some good, some bad IMO.  Among the rumored coaches they are supposedly considering, I'd take him over Bowles and McCarthy.  But I'd take the other rumored coaches over him.  According to Finlay, Callahan is already out (albeit not officially) as a possibility as the next head coach.  Will see if he's right.  I've suspected the whole time it would be a moot argument come January.   I hope he stays as the O line coach but I am presuming that's unlikely, I think his contract is up and his son is coaching in Cincy. 

@Gibbs Hog Heaven

I'd like to think if he knew he had the gig on a permy basis then he'd make the relevant changes around him. And I doubt he'd take it withiut having full autonomy over the football side in that regard. As he had with Haskins. Given the situation he inherited 5 weeks in, to start over with new coaches too would have added to the mess at that time. Hail.

I really like the enthusiasm and youth that Callihan brought to the team and I think that looking at it through that lens he did an admirable and even borderline great job. But I'd have to think that under similar circumstances others would do a similar thing. Maybe not as good but similar. They'd play rookies and youth (including Haskins), they'd probably try to change things from Gruden who had gotten sloppy and maybe lazy. 

But here's the thing. And its more to @Skinsinparadise's point. He brought up records but we can just look at some Larry Michaels like intangibles. There are several times under Gruden that we thought we had something going, in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Heck even 2018 although that was more of a bluff and most of us knew it wouldn't last. But what Gruden was building under Cousins was something tangible that we thought could last. We were always saying that (-)if we had a defense and (-)if we had a running back/game. That's why we were so excited about Guice, and Perine, and Kelley, and Jones, and Keith Marshall. So many names. 

But lets get back to Callihan. he's not a horrible coach, but I feel like we reached such a low with Gruden early into the season that any real improvement looked good. Do I think Callihan could do a decent job as coach? Sure but I don't think its a world beater and there is probably more of a question of who he'd hire as DC (if indeed he gets to hire somebody and not Bruce) and his chemistry with KOC - who I think has emerged as the real gem of this whole process. Rumors are that Callihan's not well liked in the building, and I'm not sure if thats just among a particular set of coaches but we've also heard rumblings about KOC and Callihan not getting along so smoothly. 

I don't think I'd be ready to give the job to KOC just yet but he'd be in the runnings and if he knocked the interview out, maybe. Also I'd consider a Rex Ryan who has a similar hard nosed approach and likes KOC. I'm not opposed to Callihan and think he should get an interview too, but I don't think we owe him anything or that he's really earned it with his record, but I do acknowledge that he helped me enjoy the season a lot more

The more I listen to Callahan, the better I like Coach.  In his presser the other day he had no trouble calling out ALL levels of the defense.  I like his slow progression for Haskins and his fast yank on the leash for Norman etc. I would really be interested in who he would want as defensive coordinator and other assistant coaches.  Definitely has earn the opportunity for interview by a competent GM.

Oh ... and No to McCarthy.  

:229:The Rook 

36 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

@Gibbs Hog Heaven

But lets get back to Callihan. he's not a horrible coach, but I feel like we reached such a low with Gruden early into the season that any real improvement looked good. Do I think Callihan could do a decent job as coach? Sure but I don't think its a world beater

That's sort of where I am about him.  He's pushing his mid 60s and to me he coaches in an old school way for both better and worse.  It's better in that he pushes discipline and a work ethic and I don't mind some old school beat up the opponent style of playing.  I like that he seems very aware of whatever the team stinks on.  The previous coaches (Shanny included) seem very dismissive of acknowledging anything they aren't good at and Callahan doesn't do that.  He seems like he's a very aware guy.  Heck he seems to be aware of even the media narratives about the team. If I had to say what's my favorite thing about Callahan, it would be that, his awareness.  

Where he seems old school but in a bad way in my book is like Jay he doesn't seem to buy into analytics as to play calling.  He comes off to me behind the times on several fronts and thereby the type of coach who will simply be outwitted by the better coaches in the NFL like an Andy Reid.   He seems lost as to understanding the simple math of how to deal with the clock and time outs.  And as I mentioned he didn't seem to know he even had analytical guys on staff.   He didn't know they were sending a scout to check out Kaepernick and said they wouldn't be.  My point is for a guy who says he's all about details, it doesn't play out that way.  

Callahan to me is a hard read on some fronts.  When I watch his press conferences, he lays it on thick praising players.  And you got that yoga serene, warm and fuzzy, fatherly vibe about him when he talks.  But it sounds like he's a different type of dude behind the scenes.   Listening to Russell and Hoffman, they've heard that they are a number of players and assistant coaches in that building who actually don't like Callahan.  Personally, I don't care if Callahan or anyone wins a popularity contest behind the scenes.  But there was a narrative that Callahan in his previous head coaching stints wore thin with some players in those locker rooms.    So it makes me wonder a little what is it about him that rubs some the wrong way?

Overall, he has done decently.  I'd probably take him over Bowles, McCarthy and Marvin Lewis as for rumored candidates.  All the other names I've heard, I'd take over him.  He's done a decent job but I'd have zero excitement to see him come back.   I'd like to see them shoot higher.  

My biggest issue with him is his age.  I want a younger-hungrier coach who will be here for the long haul.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Overall, he has done decently.  I'd probably take him over Bowles, McCarthy and Marvin Lewis as for rumored candidates.  All the other names I've heard, I'd take over him.  He's done a decent job but I'd have zero excitement to see him come back.   I'd like to see them shoot higher.  

My biggest issue with him is his age.  I want a younger-hungrier coach who will be here for the long haul.

Age means nothing to me. I'm more afraid that keeping Callihan means more of the same. I really wonder how much the problems with the team are Bruce related. Why haven't we swptched from a 3-4? Why have we signed so many Bruce affliates? Why is he so involved in everything? We have stuff right now saying that Bruce is more likely to be reassigned than fired, and with keeping Coach Callihan, I wonder if keeping another Bruce Affiliate means we are going to keep hiring these Bruce guys. Why can't we hire a good DC? I wonder that more than the coach questions. I wanted Pettine, even more than I wanted Phillips. I wanted them both. But we got Barry and Manusky. 

Archived