Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins Can't Win With These Coaches

desertbeagle85

Something I am curious about is whether the running game performs this poorly in practice.  If it does, then why in the hell are Gruden/Callahan etc etc etc not trying to change things or maybe modify the scheme to what they feel suits the strengths of the players.  If the running game looks good in practice..........then maybe the defense iooks bad?

I can't come up with any explanation to how the running game has been poor for just about every season Gruden has been the coach, and it hasn't mattered who was/wasn't playing on the O-line at the time.  

It just makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Just think about How great Gibbs really was / is. The fact Gibbs II TOOK US TO THE PLAYOFFS 2 of the 4 years he coached and actually WON a playoff game is a real testament to just how great he is. To have 2/4 winning seasons and win a playoff game under Dan Synder is a feat that is nothing short of spectacular 

I remember when Gibbs benched Ramsey after Game 1 in 2005 and the fanbase was in a mini uproar because a lot of us assumed Ramsey was going to be good and just needed a shot, plus Brunell had not looked particularly well in 2004.  All the doubters shut up real quick in the weeks that followed, including Ramsey himself.  In Gruden's six years here, besides turning the page on RG3 (which wasn't really going out on a limb at that point) I haven't seen a single tough decision made like that, going against popular opinion, that has made the team better. 

Just think about How great Gibbs really was / is. The fact Gibbs II TOOK US TO THE PLAYOFFS 2 of the 4 years he coached and actually WON a playoff game is a real testament to just how great he is. To have 2/4 winning seasons and win a playoff game under Dan Synder is a feat that is nothing short of spectacular 

That's why he's the GOAT.

Joe Gibbs is a man of high character and discipline. Unlike the head coaches we've had since then. In the beginning, I wondered why Snyder never sought out someone just like him but then I remembered the words of the great James Allen (As a Man Thinketh), "Men do not attract that which they want, but that which they are."

1 minute ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Joe Gibbs is a man of high character and discipline. Unlike the head coaches we've had since then. In the beginning, I wondered why Snyder never sought out someone just like him but then I remembered the words of the great James Allen (As a Man Thinketh), "Men do not attract that which they want, but that which they are."

Probably one of the best posts iv ever read on here, So true

Just listened to Redskins Talk Pod.

Jay spent 1/3 of the interview taking about injuries.  Went through each one.  Then said it wasn’t an excuse. Right. 

Regardless if it’s true or not, and there is some truth to it, the head coach can not use it as an excuse or a justification. Because it basically lets the other guys and the coaches off he hook.

You just can’t say it out loud regardless of how true it is.  

The answer is that the injuries are unfortunate, but we selected 53 guys to be on this team and we EXPECT all of them to be ready and play at a high level, and we EXPECT the coaches to prepare all the players we have who are playing, because those are the only players who can effect the outcome of the game.

Thats the answer.

“We miss Jordan Reed’s production “ reads “yeah guys, we get that you’re not as good as Reed, so do the best you can, and we’ll see how it goes”  to the other players and coaches.

”Even Though Jordan is our, Thats why we have Vernon here, and we expect Sprinkle to be a strong contributor as well.  Clearly there are things only Jordan can do, so it’s up to us as coaches to tweak the offense to maximize the talent of Jeremy and Vernon.”

Missing Jordan Reed and Scherff and Rouille.  Whatever.  And Guice.  He mentioned Guice as being a big loss.  Guice who has like 13 total carries and is “backed up” by a HOF player who was the team’s Offensive MVP last year. 

And the defense was fully healthy and it still stunk.

I am so over this  answer. Let the media comment on it for you.  They will.  But you can’t mention it yourself. 

It’s bad for culture, bad for morale, and bad PR. 

Parcells, Gibbs, Belichick these guys would never comment on the players they don’t have.  

11 hours ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Jay Gruden, Jim Zorn & Dan Snyder are the only 3 people on the planet that have nothing in common between them.

9 hours ago, volsmet said:

Jay Gruden, Jim Zorn & Dan Snyder are the only 3 people on the planet that have nothing in common between them.

They have plenty.

1. Inability to inspire others

2. Poor communicators

3. Lack creativity and innovation

4. Lack the ability to delegate

5. Lack of self-control

It's the coaching ... no clear sign of adapting to the roster talents ... no clear sign of creativity on defense ... no clear sign of adapting something/anything to address the near total lack of running lanes ... no sign of any kind of leveraging the pre-game scouting report of the opposition and worse no sign at all of halftime adjustments to respond to what they see in the first half.  Add in apparently back-up QBs don't get any prep (I'm with BMitch on this point).  And all of the mental error penalties.  Yeah I get it ... we're missing starters ... we don't have many top tier players ... but there's talent available that could be better used if it was better coached.  Too much of what sucks is how they play the game.  That's coaching.

Bring fresh young agressive coaching staff ... raid the college ranks for coordinators (Venables for example gets much more out of his defense than you'd expect looking at player abilities).  Honestly ... nothing to lose here.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I just got an update from espn that Steven A. Smith is repotting it’s likely the Skins will make a coaching change after the New England game.

[coaching change pic]

take that for what you will.

He's just guessing. Everyone knows Gruden is getting fired at some point in this season, Stephen A picked the Patriots beat down with a defiant Jay Gruden starting Colt McCoy

8 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

He's just guessing. Everyone knows Gruden is getting fired at some point in this season, Stephen A picked the Patriots beat down with a defiant Jay Gruden starting Colt McCoy

The update says “sources tell...”

Either he’s making it up or somebody told him something.

On 9/30/2019 at 8:16 AM, NoCalMike said:

I can't come up with any explanation to how the running game has been poor for just about every season Gruden has been the coach, and it hasn't mattered who was/wasn't playing on the O-line at the time.  

It just makes no sense. 

Makes perfect sense, actually you answered your own question. :)

Look at Gruden's history, he's never been able to run the ball. 

OK here is the deal.  When your coaches open the season with horrific stats over a decent sample size of now 4 games, that points to incompetency, and an unwillingness to adapt.

Manusky has to go, even if his best bud Tomsula has to go with him.  Any of our other ex DCs can only improve on these garbage numbers. Numbers this bad point to scheme 100%.

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I just got an update from espn that Steven A. Smith is repotting it’s likely the Skins will make a coaching change after the New England game.

take that for what you will.

Assume there must be some reasonable basis for going out with a report like that.  Clearly, Gruden and staff have lost the support of the players.  It's obvious to watch on the field.  Players know they are not being put into a position to win and as a consequence, they see no reason to give maximum effort.  

Whats amazing is that Gruden talks a lot about how his QBs and many others are new to the team yet he  doesn't seem to emphasize the run game. Last year with an experience winning QB, the running game is what kept them in ball games. Now with brand new QBs, he wants to air it out, wear the defense out and lose in historic fashion. Fire his ass now and in every alternate universe.

When they fire Gruden, they need to fire Manusky as well...

Keep to play out the season.... just go ahead with interim Head coach (O’Connell) and Interim DC (Rob Ryan)....

i hope we go someone with fresh ideas and give them all control...  

Archived