Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins Can't Win With These Coaches

desertbeagle85

I think I figured out Jay's reasoning for not going hurry up when getting blown out.

It's almost like Jay plans for the end of the game coming down to succeeding with an onside kick, and then scoring in a 12 second drive, as time expires.  

Seriously you can do the math and see he is going to hard pressed to win games at the pace he runs his offense when we are getting blownout.  We always hear announcers suggesting we need to get moving. 

The problem with Jay slow playing until the end is that he still runs the same easy to expose defense, when its the perfect time to throw curve balls at the offense, and attack.  When we need a 3 and out late, we are in the same defense that has been abused the entire season.   Jay has to try to score quickly because our defense milks the clock on ourselves.  He needs to plan for an onside during halftime.

California is ranked 13th in the new Athletic 130 power rankings on the heels of their 28-20 victory over Ole Miss last Saturday.

Cal defeated Ole Miss in dramatic fashion last weekend as Evan Weaver stopped Ole Miss QB John Rhys Plumlee on a last second rush attempt at the one-yard-line as time expired. The week beforehand Cal defeated Washington on a similarly dramatic field goal to win that game. Cal is only allowing 17.3 PPG on defense, which has been the strength of HC Wilcox's previous teams. Cal is still only averaging 24.5 PPG on offense, but they have managed to find a way to win the close games, as the Bears look to improve upon their 4-0 start this week when they host Arizona Friday night.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Sep 23, 2019, 9:30 PM ET

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not here to throw a life jacket to Gruden, but I’m willing to bet most of not all of Case’s mishaps last night, had options that he just plain missed. Mostly because he’s just not a good QB and partly because it’s his 3rd game in his 3rd offense in 3 years.

You're correct, totally.  The pick six, he missed by a LOT.  And then he missed on that two point conversion by throwing the ball at Chris Thompson's feet.

IMO, Case is like Fitzpatrick.  Fitzpatrick has those "Fitzmagic" games where he looks amazing.  And then goes out the next week and has a clunker.  It's why he's never been able to cling to a full time, starting role.  Case seems to be a boom or bust kind of guy in a similar vein.

I think Gruden has lost this team, though.  I'm not sure wtf happened during that safety in the first half but people were coming apart on the sideline when he didn't challenge it.  No one said anything to him directly that I could hear but everyone was like THATS A SAFETY THATS A SAFETY....and nothing.  

And Gruden, after the game...has that deer in headlights look.  It's over.

If Gruden is kept, that mofo needs more than humble pie!  He needs to coach to the player’s strengths, not for his system.  Get the eff out with not using Peterson because you don’t like his running style, use him in short yardage for gains, especially with tat bs play with case losing that ball on 4th and short.  Where the F, is the jumbo/goal line play when you need it?  Every other team uses it and gets that 1st down or td when they use it!  The passing game is good enough to score, use AP for Christ sakes!  

A lot of these players had some stellar coaching in college. It's got to be blowing their minds that they get to the big league and are exposed to inferior coaching. The Alabama guys must be really dispirited. I ain't even mad at Allen for what he said post-game. Dude has passion and pride to go with that talent. I like that.

45 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You're correct, totally.  The pick six, he missed by a LOT.  And then he missed on that two point conversion by throwing the ball at Chris Thompson's feet.

IMO, Case is like Fitzpatrick.  Fitzpatrick has those "Fitzmagic" games where he looks amazing.  And then goes out the next week and has a clunker.  It's why he's never been able to cling to a full time, starting role.  Case seems to be a boom or bust kind of guy in a similar vein.

I think Gruden has lost this team, though.  I'm not sure wtf happened during that safety in the first half but people were coming apart on the sideline when he didn't challenge it.  No one said anything to him directly that I could hear but everyone was like THATS A SAFETY THATS A SAFETY....and nothing.  

I'm not sure he ever had this team to be honest.  Players want to be coached and put in positions to succeed.  They want to win; they want publicity and success--just like any of us would.  When they know there's no leadership from the coaching staff and that the staff are in above their heads, they generally go through the motions like professions are expected to do; however, there's a reason we've lost 9 out of our last 10 games.  We are 1-9 over our last 10 games.  That's mind-boggingly bad.  We have a defensive coordinator who probably won't be employed once he's fired--just like Haslett and Barry.  We just collect incompetence at the coaching staff, and it reflects the incompetence of the owner and the front office.  Vicious cycle with no end in sight.  For the life of me, I can't understand why a Skins fan would actually want to go to a home game and witness first hand the absolutely miserable product on the field (and I thought i was a glutton for punishment).  There should be a boycott by all true skins fans until Snyder addresses the fan base and explains to us how he is going to change things and the lessons he's learned.  IF he doesn't have the decency or wherewithal to do that (and he probably doesn't), our collective response as fans should be to not show up.  Let the stadium be empty.  Let opposing fans take it over.  At some point a change will have to be made--I'm sure there is broad dislike for what he has done to a once marquee franchise in the NFC East.  Bad for all of the owners; bad for TV ratings.

8 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

A lot of these players had some stellar coaching in college. It's got to be blowing their minds that they get to the big league and are exposed to inferior coaching. The Alabama guys must be really dispirited. I ain't even mad at Allen for what he said post-game. Dude has passion and pride to go with that talent. I like that.

I missed it - what did Allen say?

14 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Jon Allen is the man.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It wasn’t a Safety.  Wouldn’t have been a terrible challenge tho.

There was however an Bears pass in the 2nd quarter, can’t recall exactly, that absolutely would’ve been a OPI under review...but our staff was too discombobulated to challenge it.

Currently, is there a more hated:

Head Coach?

Defensive Coordinator?

"GM"?

Owner?

In the entire league?  If there is let me know - Im curious and can't think of one.  I think the Redskins might have the most hated coaches and FO/ownership by its fanbase of the entire league.

Home field should provide all teams blindly one more win per year. Home win % is 57% league wide. 

Until our stadium stops being overrun by every teams oppositions fans, always subtract 2 win from your projections. Why 2 wins vs 1. No team in the history of the league faces 16 away games, but here we are. Ok subtract 3 wins if you want.

Its not just the coaches. We have no home field advantage. We are officially a road team now. It must be SO awkward for the players, and especially new players. I wonder if the rookies get warned before the first home game. Talk about being in an odd place mentally, players looking up in the stands like, how is this possible?

Does Southwest now fly to every NFL city?

Everyone chirps about accountability from the players...  Can't expect accountability from players without accountability of the coaching staff.   Cant expect accountability of the coaching staff without accountability of the FO / GM.  

Heads need roll as high up as possible.

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Trying to be somewhat of a voice of reason I agree with you. I'm actually glad Jay didn't push the panic button and put Haskins in despite how poorly Case played. To your point, Keenum missed seeing McLauren at least 2 other times deep down field in the Eagles game and no one brought it up on the telecast. This team lost Alex Smith and still is swimming upstream trying to recover. All that being said, the stuff the offense ran in the 2nd half was drastically different than the play action drop backs it ran in the 1st half. They ran quick hitting plays, screens and other stuff that got the ball out of Keenum's hands before he had to scan the field. 

One big reason I feel like Jay has lost the team is his failure to fix the defense. To me it's simple, go to Landon Collins and Jonathon Allen and ask them what they think needs to be done. If they say Manusky is playing to soft then either replace him or get him to step up the aggression. I can't believe how lost our defense looked against Trubisky of all people. God help us if Daniel Jones chews us up.

I truly believe that once Haskins plays this team is gonna be much better. The boys will rally around him like the hot new babe who shows up in your high school from another town. Jay's challenge is when to make that happen...I think he knows it but is trying to buy time til he believes Dwayne is ready. 

Final thing, I'm trying to figure out how to watch this team with an eye towards next year knowing that we will lose a lot more than we will win. Beer isn't helping much.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Trying to be somewhat of a voice of reason I agree with you. I'm actually glad Jay didn't push the panic button and put Haskins in despite how poorly Case played. To your point, Keenum missed seeing McLauren at least 2 other times deep down field in the Eagles game and no one brought it up on the telecast. This team lost Alex Smith and still is swimming upstream trying to recover. All that being said, the stuff the offense ran in the 2nd half was drastically different than the play action drop backs it ran in the 1st half. They ran quick hitting plays, screens and other stuff that got the ball out of Keenum's hands before he had to scan the field. 

One big reason I feel like Jay has lost the team is his failure to fix the defense. To me it's simple, go to Landon Collins and Jonathon Allen and ask them what they think needs to be done. If they say Manusky is playing to soft then either replace him or get him to step up the aggression. I can't believe how lost our defense looked against Trubisky of all people. God help us if Daniel Jones chews us up.

I truly believe that once Haskins plays this team is gonna be much better. The boys will rally around him like the hot new babe who shows up in your high school from another town. Jay's challenge is when to make that happen...I think he knows it but is trying to buy time til he believes Dwayne is ready. 

Final thing, I'm trying to figure out how to watch this team with an eye towards next year knowing that we will lose a lot more than we will win. Beer isn't helping much.

Well, I didn't want Haskins going in against a defense like that, with a guy like that (Mack).  Which is kind of absurd...it's the NFL, he's going to have to get tested, might as well see what he's made out of.  Gonna have to face a team like that sooner or later.  But last night didn't feel right.

I agree that the 2nd half was different, it was amazing to see that they came out and didn't continue to sleepwalk through the game.  Can't they ****ing string two halves of football together?  

If Jones lights this team up, Manusky has to be gone.  And Gruden possibly, too.  

In regards to Haskins playing and being much better....I'm not so sure.  That's certainly what we HOPE for.   And we look for reasons to figure out why he'd be better than Case, there's some reason to think he could be.  But Haskins isn't on the d-line.  Haskins isn't taking Norman's place and covering receivers.  

I've said it before, I'll say it again here....Redskins fans have been conditioned to be in a perpetual quarterback controversy, it goes all the way back to the Sonny/Billy days.  We're always thinking the grass is greener on the other side.  I want to see Haskins too...it'll happen eventually.  I just don't have much faith in anything Redskins related right now.  Except McLaurin.

Archived