Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins Can't Win With These Coaches

desertbeagle85

59 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The only way Jay gets fired tonight is if Dan thinks Jay is messing up Haskins.  If he thinks that, Jay is toast. 

Otherwise, I doubt there is a change from ownership in season. 

Question.

This is difficult for me, mostly not knowing the future vision/direction of this team and organization, but here it goes.

Let's say that Haskins plays for the majority of the remaining season, and he plays ok; not great, not bad, just ok. On second thought, let's go ahead and include all scenarios.

So the team does end up 0-16 or 1-15, and ends up with the #1 overall pick.

Do they draft Tua?  Do they trade spots for future picks?

It just seems like an awkward position for everyone involved. If they DO pick him, more than likely that would seal Haskins' fate in DC, I mean I can't see how Haskins would be kept as a back-up, being the position he was drafted along with the lack of experience { except from what he gets during the season provided he does play }.

But then you got Tua; would they sit him for a year or start him, and if he did start, wouldn't that pretty much destroy Haskins' hopes of being a starter?

I thought about doing a thread with this question but didn't think it would garner much talk because of it being a situational scenario.

4 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Question.

This is difficult for me, mostly not knowing the future vision/direction of this team and organization, but here it goes.

Let's say that Haskins plays for the majority of the remaining season, and he plays ok; not great, not bad, just ok. On second thought, let's go ahead and include all scenarios.

So the team does end up 0-16 or 1-15, and ends up with the #1 overall pick.

Do they draft Tua?  Do they trade spots for future picks?

It just seems like an awkward position for everyone involved. If they DO pick him, more than likely that would seal Haskins' fate in DC, I mean I can't see how Haskins would be kept as a back-up, being the position he was drafted along with the lack of experience { except from what he gets during the season provided he does play }.

But then you got Tua; would they sit him for a year or start him, and if he did start, wouldn't that pretty much destroy Haskins' hopes of being a starter?

I thought about doing a thread with this question but didn't think it would garner much talk because of it being a situational scenario.

I don't think we'll have to worry about this, but this is the thought process to me:

1. How did Haskins look? Franchise QB material with the right coach? 

2. You trade Haskins like the Cards did Rosen IF you love Tua. Period. Can't keep both imo.

3. But the calculus of this hypothetical is really this:

Tua + Haskins compensation

vs.

Haskins + Tua trade down package

35-49-1 looks like is Jay’s record as the head coach of the Redskins. Why do we need to keep suffering. Just fire him already!

I didn’t watch the last two games of the season last season and I said to myself that I wasn’t going to watch until Jay got fired. I went golfing this morning instead of watching the game because I don’t have any faith in the coaches to prepare against anybody right now. I think anybody can come in and do a better job right now. 

39 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I don't think we'll have to worry about this, but this is the thought process to me:

2. You trade Haskins like the Cards did Rosen IF you love Tua. Period. Can't keep both imo.

vs.

Depends on if you have the first overall pick, you try and find some team dumb enough, like the Redskins were with RG3, that will give you 3 #1s and a 2nd, then you trade the pick. Remember #1 top picks demand big money. You can rebuild your team with smart lower #1 picks especially if you have lots of them. 

5 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Depends on if you have the first overall pick, you try and find some team dumb enough, like the Redskins were with RG3, that will give you 3 #1s and a 2nd, then you trade the pick. Remember #1 top picks demand big money. You can rebuild your team with smart lower #1 picks especially if you have lots of them. 

The assumption in this scenario is that it's the #1 overall pick, yeah. I agree with you, you have to compare Tua + Haskins trade package to Haskins + trade down package.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The assumption in this scenario is that it's the #1 overall pick, yeah. I agree with you, you have to compare Tua + Haskins trade package to Haskins + trade down package.

You have to give Haskins a few years anyway so I would be trying to pick up as many high picks as I can. My thinking is that you are never going to rebuild fast enough just getting the 15th or 16th pick as all the other teams are doing the same if not better as they are better drafting teams. I would be unloading as many of the older vets as I could for draft picks now. Play the young guys. I am sick of Jay winning some meaningless games down the stretch that cost us draft capital. No more 85mil dollar safeties either. The nats passed on him and the guy they replaced him with was head and shoulders better today.

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

vs.

This is a much more difficult decision  { if it turns out } than many have given thought to.

Yea, Haskins starting 1 season and having a great season, although in college, and whether or not he can get quality QB coaching here, vs Tua, a QB 3 inches shorter but with a more impressive college performance.

What gives me the hee-bee-gee-bees is the Jason Campbell syndrome. Jason was helped out more by his team's overall performance to the degree that he wasn't THE reason they had success, but in ways Tua also fits this mold, and that makes me very nervous.

I'd like to see Haskins' performance after being with a very good QB coach, but his release of the football has me questioning whether a QB coach can correct this.

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

I'd like to see Haskins' performance after being with a very good QB coach, but his release of the football has me questioning whether a QB coach can correct this.

Interesting, his release doesn't bother me at all. I love that he can release from different angles, and I liked his ball placement once he settled down in preseason. Now he just needs the game to slow down for him.

I am happy to hear Galdi call out Jay's long ass overly complicated play calls.  To compare, the Bears hustle to the line and then get the play call after seeing the D.  Point being Jay should simplify things.

It was impressive to see our defense confused presnap.... on their first snap of the game.

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I am happy to hear Galdi call out Jay's long ass overly complicated play calls.  To compare, the Bears hustle to the line and then get the play call after seeing the D.  Point being Jay should simplify things.

It was impressive to see our defense confused presnap.... on their first snap of the game.

I just wish your point was a little stronger than the bears. 

6 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I just wish your point was a little stronger than the bears. 

3-1. And Chase looked good. But it's what can a coach possibly do to help a QB that needs it. We can only speculate how Mitch would do with long Shakespearean calls vs his OC helping him out presumed most every presnap.

I did see Jay bust out hurry for a few snaps.

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If you think Tua is a transcendent guy, then it’s simple. We’re always at a new starting point, when a decision was made shouldn’t be relevant, taking Haskins/any qb a year ago shouldn’t matter if you’re not sold on the player. Look at the nfl, a league of Keenum’s rotating from city to city ... if you believe Tua is one of the rare difference makers, you take him and it’s the easiest decision of your life. The rare QB makes everyone else better, that QB is an upgrade at every position ... if you can get that, you’re blessed.

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

3-1. And Chase looked good. But it's what can a coach possibly do to help a QB that needs it. We can only speculate how Mitch would do with long Shakespearean calls vs his OC helping him out presumed most every presnap.

I did see Jay bust out hurry for a few snaps.

Ah, I was just joking my friend.

20FE522A-FE17-42CF-8266-0E4F88A74E5C.gif

Archived