• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

desertbeagle85

Jordan Reed Is In Concussion Protocol

Per @JDonaldsonNBC5 on Twitter, Reed is back practicing today. Just participating in individual workouts which is good but still don't know if he's been cleared yet. Hope he will be soon!

If Reed gets one more concussion this year then both he and the Redskins have to consider having him retire before he gets worse and cannot enjoy his life after football.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Another day and Reed is still in concussion protocol. I don't think he's going to play guys and even if he is cleared. The Skins would be smart to hold him out for another week knowing his history. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/04/jordan-reed-remains-in-concussion-protocol/

11 minutes ago, HailSkins789 said:

Per @JDonaldsonNBC5 on Twitter, Reed is back practicing today. Just participating in individual workouts which is good but still don't know if he's been cleared yet. Hope he will be soon!

This confuses me somewhat.

If he's still in concussion protocol, it seems like he wouldn't be allowed to practice at all.

Maybe there's different stages of the protocol, that as they improve, they can partake in limited degrees of practice ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

If Reed gets one more concussion this year then both he and the Redskins have to consider having him retire before he gets worse and cannot enjoy his life after football.

8 is the magic number lol 

I wonder if advances in post protocol will help decrease long term brain health. Not much data to go from with many of the new policies and procedures being relatively new. 

Obviously, any concussion isn’t good for the brain. 

21 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This confuses me somewhat.

If he's still in concussion protocol, it seems like he wouldn't be allowed to practice at all.

Maybe there's different stages of the protocol, that as they improve, they can partake in limited degrees of practice ?

He can practice, but no contact...need to see how he reacts to physical exertion. At least that's what I would imagine, but i am no doctor!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2019 at 2:07 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

10 for 85 and 2 touches in 2 games feels like pretty good activity for a TE, really.

Extrapolate it out to 16 games for fun.

did u miss the part about the 2 games sandwiched around that game, including last year's?

I can't believe it is still unclear if he had a legit concussion or not.  How has no one in the media flat out asked this question?

None of the guys on 980 have a clue if he had an actual concussion or not.

• Like 1

Pretty much comes down to any symptoms from practicing on wednesday he is out. If DNP thursday he is out for the game. If he practices thursday doesn't mean he is playing. Just means he is more likely to play.

So reed is questionable for sunday..we'll need all the weapons we can get..

I dont want reed to play sunday..or next sunday..

Research it... I bet the majority of his Injuries have come against the filthadumpia phinkle matters and cowpukes..I wanna see him sit till the monday nighter.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 7:15 AM, purbeast said:

I can't believe it is still unclear if he had a legit concussion or not.  How has no one in the media flat out asked this question?

None of the guys on 980 have a clue if he had an actual concussion or not.

Did you see the hit!?  

You obviously sly don't understand what a concussion is.  Imagine taking a meatball and putting it in a jar.  Now throw the jar as hard as you can at anything that will stop the jar instantly but the jar doesn't break.  Now that meatball in the jar slams up against the jar when it stops.  In the case of a concussion, that's your brain that just slammed into your skull.  A concussion is the bruising of your brain.  In severe head injuries you'll get vessels that rupture causing and brain bleed.  After all that's what a bruise is.  So he absolutely 100% obvious sustained a concussion.  The severity of the concussion is the question.  So, if someone comes up and punches you in the eye, then you get a black eye (bruising or bleeding under the skin)...how long does it take for that bruise to 1- not feel sore to the touch and 2- actually resolve?  Is that bruise gone in 2 weeks?  Sometimes, but other times it takes 4+ weeks to just not be sore to the touch.  

Problem em with attempting to play with a recent concussion is you very susceptible to further injury...meaning bleeding in your brain.  So you want him to play?  

Football isn't that important man.  Guy needs to be 110% sure his brain is healed completely.  

8 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

So reed is questionable for sunday..we'll need all the weapons we can get..

I dont want reed to play sunday..or next sunday..

Research it... I bet the majority of his Injuries have come against the filthadumpia phinkle matters and cowpukes..I wanna see him sit till the monday nighter.

You're absolutely correct.  No way should he be playing.  

• Like 3

We are wasting our time.  He is wholly unreliable, and it's not his fault, but it's still the reality. 

When he comes back, I think we can safely assume it wont be the only game he misses.  Get Parham on the PS with Holtz, we're gonna need some TE options.  

I am bummed that we bothered dispatching Holtz to the PS, for that implies Reed's concussion clearly didn't heal as much as they had hoped.  I suspected we would be forced to keep 4 TEs on cut down day and when we didn't, thought it was a great sign for Reed to play.

Of course not; it's another kick in the nuts.  And someone is going to get cut who thought they had a job secured for week 1.

Damn, I feel for the guy; we all know he wants to be out there catching balls and scoring TDs.

The latest incident was as blatant as they come, but it's to the point now that every opponent will try to 'casually' give him a pop in the helmet to knock him out of the game,

Once a player gets a concussion, they become easier to recur, and IMO Reed is at the point where he needs to seriously consider his life over playing football. The 'magic #' is not a guaranteed point where they say enough is enough; its just an evaluated hypothesis because every single person is different. There's just not enough fully known about concussions and their long term impacts on quality of life.

Reed has been a bright spot for this team since he got here, a great player and a great person, and I do worry about him; I damn sure don't want to see him drooling in his Cheerios at 45, and I don't care that the team needs him, but every time he hits the field, he will have a target on his back, an unspoken one of sorts, and it's sad that its gotten to this point but a healthy Jordan Reed is the #1 priority, football or not...

Honestly, at this point. I think Reed is a medical room warrior. Looking for any excuse to get paid, and not play..screw bad luck, he’s a slacker bum. 

Hope he gets traded for a 5 th and gone...so done with this guy...don’t care how good he is, useless game played record...its so obvious what he’s doing...all he has to say is 

I feel a little light headed, he gets paid, don’t have to work, prob sits around playing his game console all day making millions..

Only guy on team I’ll call a slacking bum, with money 

Cut his butt..he’s a cancer for young players to see...

Hey look, I can make a million plus a year, and if you do this, you don’t even have to work! 

Ill bet the farm and the wife that’s his mindset...needs to go

Sorry,  but really.....he could play. He wants to find any excuse not to...I know concussion protocol...But it can be abused to...his teammates know it, and that’s what he does..

rant off haha

Edited by Skinarchy
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I am bummed that we bothered dispatching Holtz to the PS, for that implies Reed's concussion clearly didn't heal as much as they had hoped

They've activated Holtz from the PS, and released Robert Davis.

Guess they don't expect Reed to play.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-release-wr-robert-davis-promote-te-jp-holtz-source

Edited by SkinsGuy

16 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

They've activated Holtz from the PS, and released Robert Davis.

Guess they don't expect Reed to play.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-release-wr-robert-davis-promote-te-jp-holtz-source

I was expecting a move like this. Considering the late hour, it pretty much had to be JP Holtz, as no one outside the organization would know any plays. But a bit surprised Davis got cut. Guess they really don't think that highly of him. He'll probably be unclaimed though. So hopefully he will be back, either via PS or the 53 when (if?) Reed is healthy.

• Like 1

Is anyone really surprised?  As I've said before just act as if he isn't even here and if for some reason he becomes available then great.

It's exhausting having a player like Reed, for the last 4 years we have the same conversations over and over again concerning his health and availability.

Newsflash, he's never going to be consistently healthy.

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I was expecting a move like this. Considering the late hour, it pretty much had to be JP Holtz, as no one outside the organization would know any plays. But a bit surprised Davis got cut. Guess they really don't think that highly of him. He'll probably be unclaimed though. So hopefully he will be back, either via PS or the 53 when (if?) Reed is healthy.

I think the article above says the Redskins want to bring Davis back.

I guess to the PS? Is he eligible for that?

Edited by SkinsGuy

39 minutes ago, Skinarchy said:

Honestly, at this point. I think Reed is a medical room warrior. Looking for any excuse to get paid, and not play..screw bad luck, he’s a slacker bum. 

Hope he gets traded for a 5 th and gone...so done with this guy...don’t care how good he is, useless game played record...its so obvious what he’s doing...all he has to say is 

I feel a little light headed, he gets paid, don’t have to work, prob sits around playing his game console all day making millions..

Only guy on team I’ll call a slacking bum, with money 

Cut his butt..he’s a cancer for young players to see...

Hey look, I can make a million plus a year, and if you do this, you don’t even have to work! 

Ill bet the farm and the wife that’s his mindset...needs to go

Sorry,  but really.....he could play. He wants to find any excuse not to...I know concussion protocol...But it can be abused to...his teammates know it, and that’s what he does..

rant off haha

I think that you're well out of line with this post. It's a nasty, unnecessary attack on a guy who took a vicious helmet-to helmet hit, in fact I think it's borderline trolling. You have no idea how injured he is and it's not obvious what he's doing. You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Thanks 8

55 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I think the article above says the Redskins want to bring Davis back.

I guess to the PS? Is he eligible for that?

I would hope so. How do you just cut him outright, and not drop him on the PS, while you got guys like Chesson and Sims still on the PS.

But I guess he has to clear waivers first ? Can't remember the rule.

• Like 1