Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jordan Reed Is In Concussion Protocol

desertbeagle85

Before the season started, I recommended we cut him and Norman, not because there was no talent, but because it was likely a wasted season and the two were unlikely to produce anywhere close to a level worth what they cost.  Reed is so talented, top 3 in the NFL in my opinion.  But his career is essentially over due to injuries, and we should have cut him in the offseason.  Some players bodies were just never meant to handle the NFL.

Instead, due to poor forsight by Brucey and Co, we will lose out on $19 million in cap space next year that we would have had.

32 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Before the season started, I recommended we cut him and Norman, not because there was no talent, but because it was likely a wasted season and the two were unlikely to produce anywhere close to a level worth what they cost.  Reed is so talented, top 3 in the NFL in my opinion.  But his career is essentially over due to injuries, and we should have cut him in the offseason.  Some players bodies were just never meant to handle the NFL.

Instead, due to poor forsight by Brucey and Co, we will lose out on $19 million in cap space next year that we would have had.

Both will be gone, I think after this season.  Norman will save us $12 million and Reed would save us $8.25 million so that's $20.25 million however there is still dead cap space with Reed as he is signed for 2021 also for $8.75 million.  I don't know how that would all be spread out but Norman would save us the full amount as next year is his last year on the books.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

you were right on the money...Reed really should retire, why would he come back to this mess?

2 hours ago, dyst said:

If Reed wants to continue having an NFL career, he needs to go to a better team with a legitimate staff that can handle his medical concerns.

Medical staff has nothing to do with these concussions and going to another team won't stop him from taking hits. Only retiring from football will help him at this point.

I feel bad for Reed. He has battled through a terrible string of injuries. The recommendation to get that stem cell injection before fully knowing what was up with his feet was unthinkably stupid. Score another one for the J.D. Power & Associates training staff of the century.

Also, if you have a player who has been through what Reed has been through, you play him sparingly in the preseason. There was no reason in the world that he should've still been in there. He's not a rookie who needs to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. Score another one for the HC who has made nothing but superb decisions over the course of 6 years in Ashburn.

You don't take concussions lightly. Sure, not having him out there has an adverse effect on our offense, but his health is the #1 concern. If he has to sit 5 weeks or even longer, then so be it.

7 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Medical staff has nothing to do with these concussions and going to another team won't stop him from taking hits. Only retiring from football will help him at this point.

We’ve heard countless times where this team has rushed players back or misdiagnosed something. I wouldn’t be surprised if a legitimate team were better able to handle something like this.

14 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I like Jordan Reed and the guy is very talented when healthy. The problem is he's never healthy. The skins clearly have to release him and save the money next year. If he was smart he would retire anyway. Either way the Skins need to look at replacing him next year and moving on from him period. 

Jordan Reed could be out “weeks

Washington ruled out tight end Jordan Reed for Monday night, and he might not return for “weeks,” JP Finlay of NBCSportsWashington.com reports.

Reed hasn’t played since being diagnosed with a concussion in the third preseason game Aug. 22.

He has never played a full 16-game season in his seven years in Washington, and Reed now has seven documented concussions dating to college, Finlay reports.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/21/jordan-reed-wont-play-monday-could-be-out-awhile/

What bothers me about this is that it speaks to a deficiency in team management. Not about Jordan, but about his backups. Why was Holtz cut and put on the practice squad (only to be immediately stolen?) Why was Holtz cut on the same week we wound up having to place two other players on IR?

Now, Holtz isn't a game changer or an all star. Heck, he might never be better than a back up, but the team needed that back up. Until Reed was up and going and CLEARED to play there was no need to demote him. It was a dumb, short-sighted, and over-optimistic move.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27672809/sources-redskins-te-reed-career-jeopardy

Any player who has suffered the number of concussions that Reed has -- it is difficult to pinpoint the exact number -- puts himself at grave risk by playing again.

The Redskins had been counting on having Reed, a former Pro Bowler and one of their best players, this season. But in Washington's third preseason game last month against the Falcons, Reed suffered his latest concussion, which already has knocked him out of the first three games of the season.

Reed, 29, still would like to resume playing, but it is hardly automatic that he will. The more time that goes on without him coming back, the less likely it is that he will return to a sport in which he has excelled.

35 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Ya, go ruin your life with an elite QB. That’ll make it worth it. 

Don't think that's the point he's making. This is no different than Calvin Johnson. He was tired of taking a beating so he walked. He knew he wasn't going to be playing for a SB with the Lions. So at that point what's the point. Take your money and walk. Reed should do the same thing. 

8 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Someone will have the unpleasant and unenviable job of telling him that he shouldn't play anymore.

I'm pretty sure no one has to tell Reed this. At this point with all the studies about concussions. He's probably known for a while he should retire. Yet he doesn't and that's his choice if he's cleared. His long term health should be a real scare to him at this point. 

3 hours ago, dyst said:

We’ve heard countless times where this team has rushed players back or misdiagnosed something. I wouldn’t be surprised if a legitimate team were better able to handle something like this.

You clearly don't know how concussions work in the NFL now. The team doesn't get to clear him. The NFL is involved in deciding if he is cleared to play or not. 

Concussions are no joke. If you are questioning a guy who is concussion prone not playing anymore, read up on CTE and concussions please. This is among the absolute most serious injuries in the NFL and sports in general. 

Not seeing many actually saying that, but just in case...

20 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Don't think that's the point he's making. This is no different than Calvin Johnson. He was tired of taking a beating so he walked. He knew he wasn't going to be playing for a SB with the Lions. So at that point what's the point. Take your money and walk. Reed should do the same thing.

I think the point @wit33 was making is that there is no franchise worth ruining your life for, so saying that Reed shouldn't ruin his "for this franchise" is a bit idiotic ("idiotic" is my opinion). It should just be "Don't ruin your life for football", period.

Our two best offensive players haven't played a down this season.

Gruden can't wait to get fired and go be a college coach or OC for his brother. 

The next coach will find out this franchise is cursed -- or at least is experiencing some real karma under Snyder.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I was just coming to post that, this needs to be over, for his own sake, I don't want to see him play anymore.  

For everyone calling out Reeds toughness or commitment to the game and tired of having to make excuses for him, you finally got your wish.  Be careful what you wish for.

3 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Our two best offensive players haven't played a down this season.

Gruden can't wait to get fired and go be a college coach or OC for his brother. 

The next coach will find out this franchise is cursed -- or at least is experiencing some real karma under Snyder.

I don't see this team as cursed, just stupid and cheap, especially now.  There's no logical reason to keep investing in players with known injury histories excpet saving money and having built in excuses for why you lose when they get hurt.  Blaming injuries on our seasons going to hell is like saying Thoughts and Prayers.

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I think the point @wit33 was making is that there is no franchise worth ruining your life for, so saying that Reed shouldn't ruin his "for this franchise" is a bit idiotic ("idiotic" is my opinion). It should just be "Don't ruin your life for football", period.

These guys are competitors and want to win.  They are already taking a gamble with their health for the money.  But watching the confetti rain down is a childhood dream.  Many guys play when they shouldn’t all to fulfill that dream.  Given there is absolutely no chance of fulfilling that dream with this team, it would make the decision easier.  That’s what I took from it.

But yeah, the wise decision would be to not put yourself at risk no matter what goals one is trying to achieve.

23 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Well since the guy has already made the decision to keep playing after all of these concussions (this conversation should have been had years ago), it’s stupid to do so for the Skins imo. That’s my point 

“Idiotic” coming from you is funny. You get into back and forths over meaningless semantics in every thread I open. 

14 hours ago, RWJ said:

Both will be gone, I think after this season.  Norman will save us $12 million and Reed would save us $8.25 million so that's $20.25 million however there is still dead cap space with Reed as he is signed for 2021 also for $8.75 million.  I don't know how that would all be spread out but Norman would save us the full amount as next year is his last year on the books.

The issue is, by keeping them a year longer than we should have, we lose out in $19 million in cap space.  If we had cut them this past offseason, we would have had an extra $19 million in cap space THIS year, which we then could roll over into next year and future years for a real rebuild.

Archived