Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jordan Reed Is In Concussion Protocol

desertbeagle85

20 hours ago, wit33 said:

He’s more like a .500 coach if looking at it with a sliver of objectivity.  Contractually it screams “show me something”. I don’t think it has to be playoffs, but some sort of silver lining.

As it's a safe bet they won't make the playoffs this year that will be one playoff appearance, with an early exit, in 6 seasons.  Nearly every coach with this record does not see a 7th season and there is nothing unfair about that.  

21 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I heard Galdi saying this morning that Jay thinks the concussion was not severe / doesn't expect him to miss significant time - ready for the openerGreat news if true.  

I figured this thread would be blowing up with the news.

I am fine if he sits all week/does light work as purely precautionary.

Good news if he is ok.

Especially good for him, and good for the Redskins' offense.

26 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I heard Galdi saying this morning that Jay thinks the concussion was not severe / doesn't expect him to miss significant time - ready for the openerGreat news if true.  

Yes that is excellent news Randy..we'll need all the weapons we can get week 1.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:42 AM, SkinsGuy said:

Good news if he is ok.

Especially good for him, and good for the Redskins' offense.

Dare I say, great for both! 

At full health he could easily be our most productive receiver on the team, including lead the team in TDs.  I really want Jay to continue to use him to his strengths. Not as a blocker inside etc.  Obvious run downs, line him up wide etc.  One of my favorite plays goal to go show heavy jumbo and split Reed out wide, and see if a clunky stiff ass LB trots out with him. Basketball move slant TD.  If a DB is on him, throw a fade or let him box him out.  Force the D to shade a 2nd defender - if they do, play off them doubling Reed and go elsewhere. Use him as a simple primary read.  Dictate to the defense. 

8 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yes that is excellent news Randy..we'll need all the weapons we can get week 1.

Jordan has had some nice games in Philly....with him I think our chances of winning get much better. Give the Birds a steady dose of AP, Guice, CT and Jordan while the defense gets after Wentz. We need Reed to play.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

He didn't say ready for the opener - I heard it this morning as well.

His exact wording was "We're quite confident that Jordan will be fine" when asked about Reed's health.  

Everyone is just turning those words into being him saying Reed will be ready week 1.

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

He didn't say ready for the opener - I heard it this morning as well.

Oh... i see this headline from Riggo's Rag - maybe I need to add the word "expects". I edited my original post.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden expects Jordan Reed to be ready for opener

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Oh... i see this headline from Riggo's Rag - maybe I need to add the word "expects"

Redskins coach Jay Gruden expects Jordan Reed to be ready for opener

I just updated my previous post with the exact wording used by Gruden.

Go to like 2:20 in this video here and listen to his answer.  You can hear his exact wording.  

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1vOGwalEWnRxB

So... not to be that guy... buuuuut...

There is no such thing as a severe or not severe concussion. Your brain hitting your skull is bad. Every. Single. Time.

There is such a thing as severe vs. not so severe symptoms... But the end result is your skull playing ping pong with your brain.

Saying he'll be fine means that they expect there to be no permanent damage... from this concussion in particular. Doesn't negate his concussion history. And it doesn't mean he'll be ready to roll any time soon. You can't really say how long a concussion will take to recover from. Symptoms can linger for a very, very long time even if they are mild. The only way anyone could predict a time table for his return is if he already passed the protocol. 

Having said all of that... it's not uncommon to see people recover in a week... and it's not uncommon to see them recover in 4. It's very possible he's ready to roll week one. But I'd pump the brakes.

Seems like a deterrant would be that you would just as easily concuss yourself from a helmet to helmet, as you would, the other guy.

Or is there a physics law that causes more force and damage to the brain receiving the hit, than the skull and brain giving the hit ?

I remember one time a Redskin was involved in a collision that knocked out both the hitter and the hittee.

In fact I think they were both Redskins and of course it was accidental.

Does anyone remember the hit I refer to, and who was involved ?

On 8/27/2019 at 11:49 AM, KDawg said:

So... not to be that guy... buuuuut...

There is no such thing as a severe or not severe concussion. Your brain hitting your skull is bad. Every. Single. Time.

There is such a thing as severe vs. not so severe symptoms... But the end result is your skull playing ping pong with your brain.

Saying he'll be fine means that they expect there to be no permanent damage... from this concussion in particular. Doesn't negate his concussion history. And it doesn't mean he'll be ready to roll any time soon. You can't really say how long a concussion will take to recover from. Symptoms can linger for a very, very long time even if they are mild. The only way anyone could predict a time table for his return is if he already passed the protocol. 

Having said all of that... it's not uncommon to see people recover in a week... and it's not uncommon to see them recover in 4. It's very possible he's ready to roll week one. But I'd pump the brakes.

I've only got a second so I can't find the exact source, but a few months back I think a study showed that hitting your head, even if it doesn't cause a concussion, adds to the cumulative effect since it's still a blow to the head.  So it doesn't even need to be diagnosed as a concussion to still be bad for you.

Really takes away from the enjoyment of hard hits when you think about it.  It's hard to remember that these are people when, ironically, the helmets are on.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:19 AM, RandyHolt said:

I heard Galdi saying this morning that Jay thinks the concussion was not severe / doesn't expect him to miss significant time - expects ready for the openerGreat news if true.  

Ha, no...they only blow up on negative news.  Too many raised on toxic WaPo articles to realize how to respond to good news.

I think it is great news and hoping he has a great year.  He really helps our offense and will be great if he can stay healthy.

So if Jordan comes back how many inside slants before he gets his next concussion?  Cooley mentioned that he thinks Sprinkle will get more plays than any TE on the roster, we need to act as if Jordan won't be available and if he somehow stays healthy then its a bonus.

With our love for WRs and if Jordans ready for week 1, I think we will only keep 3 TEs. But am intrigued at Holtz, who between the 2 Pitt boys is cut from the hands mold more than Flanagan.

If Reed isn't ready for week 1 I wonder who is this years Tom Compton. Maybe it will be Parris.  I don't think we would risk Geron.

I expect Holtz on the PS.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:12 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Seems like a deterrant would be that you would just as easily concuss yourself from a helmet to helmet, as you would, the other guy.

Or is there a physics law that causes more force and damage to the brain receiving the hit, than the skull and brain giving the hit ?

I remember one time a Redskin was involved in a collision that knocked out both the hitter and the hittee.

In fact I think they were both Redskins and of course it was accidental.

Does anyone remember the hit I refer to, and who was involved ?

I don't remember that, but I do remember Kenny Houston getting knocked out after intercepting a ball against Dallas.  He was carted off the field with the ball still in his hands.  

It varies dependent on circumstances such as players history of committing H to H hits, judgement of severity, was there a clear and unobstructed path to make the H to H contact clearly avoidable, was there a lowering of helmet motion used to target the head and neck area intentionally.  Most of these are judgement calls.  The Burfict fine for 2 hits In the same game against Antonio Brown and Connors of the Steelers resulted in $112,000 in fines.

Archived