Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

VERY IMPORTANT regarding my posts above: Again, I'm not defending Bruce.  I'm just pointing out reasoning which seems to fit the facts.  You can disagree with the reasoning, which I do for the most part.  I just think it's important to try and figure out WHY they are taking the approach they are.  

There is the "it's just spite" option.  Which is a possibility.  But I actually think if Bruce thought he could get value from Trent for this year, and look good doing it, he would do it.  Maybe not.  Not sure.  

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, so they could Keyshon him.  Was Bruce there when they sat Keyshon and refused to play him for half a season in Tampa?  I'm guessing yes?

I can't recall if Allen was still there - but the while the Bucs deactivated Keyshon they still paid him. They had to to retain his rights. 

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, so they could Keyshon him.  Was Bruce there when they sat Keyshon and refused to play him for half a season in Tampa?  I'm guessing yes?

Teams can suspend players for conduct detrimental to the team for up to 4 games I believe.  But I don't think holding out falls under that kind of conduct.  If Bruce tried Trent would would file a grievance and make things really ugly. 

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So it's Wednesday and nothing new on the Trent front.........safe to say it's a no-go for the Cowboys game?

You should copy this post and save it and re-post every Wednesday until November.

It's going to be the same. 

This thread, meanwhile, will be one of the fastest growing threads on the board with exactly zero new information.  

8 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Curious..isnt it

Image result for curious george

If Trent reports for the 6 to 8 games, it shows what his true intentions were the whole time, In fact, all the prognosticators about his unhappiness and unwilling to report should become TMZ employees. It would be nice to send him to the bottomless of bottomless pit team to get some git back. He was shown more than enough respect by fans and SOME in the administration.

Go Figure that out

Yeah if TW shows up for just enough games to make sure he gets his salary and this year is counted then that will be pretty revealing and will make any claim that it was about principle, the team doctors, whatever, specious at best. I also think it could turn teammates against him.

24 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah if TW shows up for just enough games to make sure he gets his salary and this year is counted then that will be pretty revealing and will make any claim that it was about principle, the team doctors, whatever, specious at best. I also think it could turn teammates against him.

I agree. 

I don't think he can get his entire salary though...he can accrue the season and he can receive the game checks for the weeks he's here, but he cannot recoup the money for the weeks he didn't report. But, none of that changes your point...

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

He gets his entire base salary from the week he reports. He is losing weekly game checks worth $638K each. So given he has not reported this week he is now out $1.2M for those keeping count at home.

I need to show up in a TW jersey and collect that paycheck. I don't even think they'd even notice.

....I"m 5'7, white, and run a 7.2 second 40.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Sadly I'm ready for Trent to be an ex-Redskins.

Take Morgan Moses with you.

Draft two tackles in 2020.

I would advise Redskins fans to watch Georgia games (AndrewThomas), Iowa games (Tristan Wirfs) and Tennessee (Trey Smith). 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is the "it's just spite" option.  Which is a possibility.  But I actually think if Bruce thought he could get value from Trent for this year, and look good doing it, he would do it.  Maybe not.  Not sure.  

No way to know.  But listening to people cover the story as for what they hear behind the scenes (granted it could be wrong) it isn't that Bruce doesn't think he can get value for Trent -- its that jobs are on the line and its a win now season and they have a better shot to do it with Trent.

I am not going to bring up the name of the other infamous contract impasse from years back but I do recall Finlay a couple of times say when he talked to people what he learned is they don't mind renting that QB for another year (and they didn't want to trade him) because its all about the upcoming season.  They don't care about seasons beyond that and they are living in the now.  He defended it by saying plenty other teams operate the same.  So using the same logic here, winning a show down with Trent means more to the present than any pick up for future draft picks. 

I don't think it's an accident that this team under Dan has always been a buyer not a seller of veterans as to high draft picks.  The veterans they unload are typically busts or dissapointments for late round picks.  They don't play the Patriots game of selling their players at the height of their market value -- Dan doesn't roll like that.  It's part of the reason why I want this to happen so bad -- I'd love to see them change this approach finally.  It would be a watershed type of move for Dan's regime. 

I am rarely on the side of the players for holdouts as they should take shorter deals if they are elite.

In the case of Trent, he is the rare exception. Depending on the overall health, can certainly see him playing 5 more years at a high level. Look at Peters,even with the injuries, and Whitworth. Trent is the same type of athlete. Think he can go for a while yet.

Pay him. 

Turn the page. 

N.B. Geron Christian isn't ready, and even if he does get there, perhaps he will be needed at RT. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

No it certainly wouldn't be revealing. If Trent still wants to play but not for the Redskins he has three options, being cut, traded or making it to free agency. Making it to free agency is the only option that he can influence that the Redskins can't stop and to do that he needs to get credit for the year - waiting till the last moment minimizes what he has to provide the Redskins. 

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Want worse? Wait until Williams shows up, is around long enough to accrue a season, and then fakes an injury.

I don't think Trent really cares about accruing a season. His plans probably don't revolve around service time to get out after 2020, but I could be wrong. You'e right that him showing up late and collecting salary for a team that's probably no longer in contention is a bit of a worst case scenario.

But, if he really wants out, I can't figure why he'd fake an injury and drastically reduce the odds he could be traded.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, in this case, and in this case only, I see why the 'Skins did what they did. For the following, let's say for a second that Bruce really thinks he needs to win this year.  

And this gets to the 2 real symptoms of stupidity this brings up.

1. The "win now" mode. We have no business being in such a mode. We're probably not a top 10 team even int eh conference and we have young talent to build around. To be sacrificing anything of the future for wins now is so wrong headed I struggle to find words to describe it.

And you're right, it seems understandable why Brice would be in such "win now" mode, if he believes its what would save his job. And therein lies the ridiculous incompetence of Daniel Snyder. Giving a coach one more season to prove themselves has an inherent logic to it. Having a GM in such position creates so many incentive to not do what is right for your team that only a dunderheaded owner would think that is a smart way to conduct his franchise.

2. Even under the win now auspice, this is potentially a case of Bruce shooting himself in the foot. If Trent holds out all year, or comes back late in the year, maybe after the team is out of the running, is out of shape and ends up taking way more money than he's worth, does that really add up to "winning now"? Of course not. Meanwhile, if he's trying to sell Dan on his job performance, wouldn't an extra 1st and a bunch of extra cap space, added to the 1st round QB and other young talent, be the way to do it? What the hell would he be able to sell from this situation? "Yeah, we had a bad year, and I didn't get anything for Trent and he's year older and definitely leaving next season for nothing, but I really proved a point by not giving in to him, so you should give me an extension"?

Archived