Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

Mark Twain's take on the impeachment trial of Andrew Johnson. I will quote the last paragraphs of the article linked here. Of note is Johnson's loss in the next election.

https://qz.com/1791054/mark-twains-1868-presidential-impeachment-takes-illuminate-trump-trial/?utm_source=YPL&yptr=yahoo

Twain’s zombie is back now, and if Johnson’s historic trial is any indication, Trump will be acquitted. The 17th president narrowly avoided conviction after a long, bifurcated Senate trial that concluded in late spring.

Twain predicted this outcome by early April, having watched impeachment excitement fade, only to be subsumed by cynical political calculations. He accused impeaching Republicans of a disconcerting “disposition to drop the high moral ground,” fearful of retaliation upon recapture of the presidency.

But he spared no one his scorn. “The Democrats do not howl about impeachment much now, a fact that awakens suspicion. Maybe they are satisfied that to martyr the President would make a vast amount of Democratic capital for the next election,” Twain wrote.

His analysis still works. A presidential election is looming and both parties will be considering the consequences of this impeachment in that light. Concerns about coming payback may convince Democrats to strategically chill. Republicans have compared Trump’s martyrdom to Jesus’s plight, hoping a failed attempt will help him win four more years in November.

Time will tell just how much history repeats. But it’s notable that the Democrat Johnson lost his post-trial election to a “Radical Republican.”

In the end, however, Twain condemned both parties for placing politics above principles, putting all jokes aside and writing, “This everlasting compelling of honesty, morality, justice and the law to bend the knee to policy, is the rottenest thing in a republican form of government. It is cowardly, degraded and mischievous; and in its own good time it will bring destruction upon this broad-shouldered fabric of ours.”

Listened to a few minutes of the defense's opening statement. It's not the worst argument in the world, but it boils down to this.

The only proof they have was Sondland's testimony because we withheld all the other proof and denied testimony of people with first hand knowledge.

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Listened to a few minutes of the defense's opening statement. It's not the worst argument in the world, but it boils down to this.

The only proof they have was Sondland's testimony because we withheld all the other proof and denied testimony of people with first hand knowledge.

Speaking of which, **** John Bolton. At any point he could give an interview saying a little of what he knows. 

10 minutes ago, Hersh said:

You know someone is guilty AF when the defense is arguing process 

I think the defense's argument should be, "It's completely unfair that we were caught. No one would call what we did impeachable if we hadn't been caught!"

Another thing about the recorded call at the dinner with Parnas and Trump/Trump claiming he doesn't know Parnas... Rudy Giuliani was NOT at that dinner.  Which further shoots holes in Trump's claim that he doesn't know Parnas. 

Someone should ask Stephanie Grisham about that at the next White House Press briefing.  As soon as she's sober enough to have one.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

You know someone is guilty AF when the defense is arguing process 

I figured that the fact that they react to every new revelation by yelling "Who shiched?" was kinda a tell.  

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

in 2019 our president is a rapist & racist, who sounds a like a mid 80's wrestler who could not cut a promo

It was obvious back in the primaries that he hasn't matured since junior high.  

12 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This stuff needs to keep coming out day after day. It'll be blocked from the hearings. Coming out this way just give folks questions to Senators who are blocking it that they will be asked all the way until the election. 

We reasonable people thought he'd be arrested after inauguration, having violated the emolument clause AT THAT MOMENT.

I served for nothing. 

15 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I wouldn't go that far.  Back in your day, the country still had morals.

We may have never defeated Hitler if not for your service.:cheers:

You really try to **** with people, don't you? 

I worked under a Chief who had a 6th grade education. I think absolutely NO MORE OF YOU. 

And I won't think any more of you if you sick your drunk wife on me. 

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

You really try to **** with people, don't you? 

I worked under a Chief who had a 6th grade education. I think absolutely NO MORE OF YOU. 

And I won't think any more of you if you sick your drunk wife on me. 

Wow.  Didn't mean to be offensive.  It was a joke.  But glad to see some true colors come out.

Archived