Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Foster carted off on 2nd snap of OTA's

purbeast

1 minute ago, Alexa said:

In space or when Kerrigan is asked to drop in coverage is he slow. Mason Foster is probably the slowest ILB in the NFL.  Not sure how much Anderson will be playing but he is also slow. 

Which comes back to the 'figure out how to use them' comment.

Kerrigan has no business being asked to cover backs or TE's in the flat. Asking him to drop more than 2 or 3 times a game to keep OCs honest is not the way to go.

Foster is an obvious run down and short yardage player. And don't ask him to cover flats either. In nickel he should be on the sideline and a combination of SDH, Clemons and maybe some 3 safety looks with Collins in the box should be what we see.

Anderson will play in obvious run downs and short yardage. He may get some snaps at DE in nickel to give someone a rest. 

But we HAVE speed in that front 7 now. Its a question of how you use it.

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

I've never understood dropping him into coverage. He's been one of if not the best pass rusher since he's been on the team. Why get cute and have him drop in coverage just because you want to send a corner/safety/LB? 

Play towards your player's strengths. Let the rushers rush and the coverage guys cover. 

Well I agree and this is why I would never run a 3-4. it hasn't been effective here at all. Back in the day I never saw Dex or Mann dropping into coverage. 

5 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

30 other teams didn't claim him. He's played 16 of 32 possible games. Not someone I'd count on of you ask me.

I hear you, but I was okay with 12-14 games of potential pro bowl level versus 16 games of Will Compton or Mason Foster. Not saying it’s right or wrong, just where I’m at these days in building a roster. 

38 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Did anyone think this guy was going to play a lot of games for us? He's been in the league for two years and I'm not even sure he's actually got in 16 games. It's really unfortunate he got hurt but I just think  this organization needs to stop chasing guys that can't suit up on Sun.

Requires pealing back layers to acquisitions made by Skins. I could see the argument if the Skins were locked in financially for 2-3 years given his injury and off field problems, but it was high reward low risk type move that didn’t work out. With that said, I was all for keeping Brown, but it appears more than on field play was involved with why he was released. 

2 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Payne/Allen/ Ioannidis /Settle with Kerrigan/Sweat/Holcomb puts the best talent on the field. Holcomb replaced Brown OK last year so sticking with the 3-4 scheme is not doomed because of Foster going down. Bottom line...Foster was a risk taken and lost. It won't cripple the D so I'm not panicking.

We drafted Holcomb this draft, you sure you're not mistakening with SDH?

6 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

30 other teams didn't claim him. He's played 16 of 32 possible games. Not someone I'd count on of you ask me.

To add nuance:

There were only 24 possible games for him to play due to suspensions and release.  He missed 10 effective games total (leaving in the first half I consider only playing half of a game) due to injury.

So of the 24 he could play, he missed 10.   Take away all the legal woes, he missed 42% of his games due to injury.  That's insane to plan around.

1 hour ago, Alexa said:

Well I agree and this is why I would never run a 3-4. it hasn't been effective here at all. Back in the day I never saw Dex or Mann dropping into coverage. 

If you zone blitz out of a 4-3 base you drop a DT or DE into coverage. It's NOT the system, it's the play design and play calling.

12 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

To add nuance:

There were only 24 possible games for him to play due to suspensions and release.  He missed 10 effective games total (leaving in the first half I consider only playing half of a game) due to injury.

So of the 24 he could play, he missed 10.   Take away all the legal woes, he missed 42% of his games due to injury.  That's insane to plan around.

Now: Out of 40 possible games, including this year, he's played in 14/40. He's played in 35% of the games he's been able to play in.

We are probably going to need to add a veteran LB at this point. There are a couple of older guys out there. But nothing that jumps off the page to me. Brian Cushing has gone into coaching after being a probowler at one point. I wonder if we could talk him out of coaching for one season? Navorro Bowman is out there as well. And could probably be had for a vet minimum deal. 

An interesting side note. Martrell Spaight retired today rather than fight for a backup spot on the Chiefs roster.

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We are probably going to need to add a veteran LB at this point. There are a couple of older guys out there. But nothing that jumps off the page to me. Brian Cushing has gone into coaching after being a probowler at one point. I wonder if we could talk him out of coaching for one season? Navorro Bowman is out there as well. And could probably be had for a vet minimum deal. 

An interesting side note. Martrell Spaight retired today rather than fight for a backup spot on the Chiefs roster.

Cushing and Bowman haven't played since 2017 and Cushing's done mostly because he can't stop using PEDs.  The Skins have time to figure things out.  A quality vet or two will be released at some point as the season approaches.  

2 hours ago, Alexa said:

In space or when Kerrigan is asked to drop in coverage is he slow. Mason Foster is probably the slowest ILB in the NFL.  Not sure how much Anderson will be playing but he is also slow. 

This will always be a problem when you convert a college DE to OLB and then ask him to run with people.  

12 minutes ago, redrobert said:

Bring back Spaight? Would we or he be interested in a reunion?

Bringing someone in who just retired doesn't seem like a good idea. His head clearly isn't about football right now and he probably has other plans if he retired this early. 

14 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Bringing someone in who just retired doesn't seem like a good idea. His head clearly isn't about football right now and he probably has other plans if he retired this early. 

Exactly.  We have to wait for him to do a year in the booth, horribly, and then he can unretire and rejoin the team.

5 hours ago, MartinC said:

Sweat runs a 4.4 40. Allen ran 5 dead. Payne ran 4.9. SDH is a 4.6 guy. Clemons is a 4.6 guy.

I dont give a **** what 40 time Kerrigan runs he averages double digit sacks a season on his career.

We have speed and talent on defense. Just need someone to figure out how to use them.

I was responding directly to the proposed starting 7 in the 4-3.  

As a whole the front 7 has plenty of speed.  Just not the proposed group in the post to which I responded.  

6 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Ouch, looks like the niners got hit with the injury bug as well with Bosa pulling a hammy...thems can linger on for the whole season.

Bosa was a Redskins type pick. Very talented. Proven injury risk. ACL in high school. Essentially missed all of last year. It’s not going to be surprising when he’s prone to injury as a pro. 

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Now: Out of 40 possible games, including this year, he's played in 14/40. He's played in 35% of the games he's been able to play in.

Did he suffer from injuries in HS or college? I don’t recall that being so. Christ Thompson for instance has never stayed healthy in college or the pro’s. If Foster was able to play violently and stay healthy at Alabama, maybe he still has a chance. 

52 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Ouch, looks like the niners got hit with the injury bug as well with Bosa pulling a hammy...thems can linger on for the whole season.

Unless it keeps him out for the year then I’m not interested in comparables.

3 hours ago, redrobert said:

Bring back Spaight? Would we or he be interested in a reunion?

Spaight signed a contract for 2019 with the Chiefs.  He can't get out of it by retiring and then re-sign with another team.  It's not much of a contract, and they probably couldn't care less if he comes back to play for another team, but they'll want something in return nonetheless.  

Tough for this old trooper to work up his old pre-preseason optimistic chubby after this, already I'm wondering who's next.  May is often the high point for Skins fans and this is a buzz kill. 

6 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

Spaight signed a contract for 2019 with the Chiefs.  He can't get out of it by retiring and then re-sign with another team.  It's not much of a contract, and they probably couldn't care less if he comes back to play for another team, but they'll want something in return nonetheless.  

Andy Reid can help out, excellent!

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Did he suffer from injuries in HS or college? I don’t recall that being so. Christ Thompson for instance has never stayed healthy in college or the pro’s. If Foster was able to play violently and stay healthy at Alabama, maybe he still has a chance. 

Uh, and?  He's missed a huge percentage of his games in the pros prior to signing with us.

Thompson, like Love, was taken with the understanding that he was injury prone.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I do agree that Thompson is Christ-like when he plays. :)

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Bosa was a Redskins type pick. Very talented. Proven injury risk. ACL in high school. Essentially missed all of last year. It’s not going to be surprising when he’s prone to injury as a pro. 

Kinda glad we passed on him then.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Unless it keeps him out for the year then I’m not interested in comparables.

Not trying to compare just makes me think of even several Redskins players...d Jax..freak accident on sideline at training camp that have had to deal with the hammy issue missing games all year

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

Tough for this old trooper to work up his old pre-preseason optimistic chubby after this, already I'm wondering who's next.  May is often the high point for Skins fans and this is a buzz kill. 

Andy Reid can help out, excellent!

Oh god me too...my exact thoughts..I started freaking out about it my best friend called me and told me about it... Started off the conversation "second play in OTAs Reuben Foster tears his acl".. I freaked.. made me grumpy the rest of the day then I get home from my 13 hour day and two of my dogs attacked me giving me Lovins for at least 15-20 minutes I was instantly over it.

Archived