Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Foster carted off on 2nd snap of OTA's

purbeast

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What else should we, and could we have done ?

We used a draft pick on a decent prospect at ILB last month. We arguably couldn't use more picks, because of our plethora of needs.

We were limited in Free Agency, due to the cap.

How specifically could we have done better this offseason, at bolstering ILB, without making huge compromises in other areas ?

Zach Brown. 'Oh but he was bad in coverage!' I don't care. He had speed, which we'd been able to make good use of in the past before moving away from what he's good at. But we're too smart for that. We're going to keep Mason Foster as a starter.

We're screwed.

2 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

30 other teams didn't claim him. He's played 16 of 32 possible games. Not someone I'd count on of you ask me.

All this team needs is four starting-quality players at each position while competing against 31 other teams for the same players and staying under the salary cap.

Great point. 

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

In 2017, Foster had surgery to repair a torn rotary cuff.

The same year in the NFL he misses 5 games to Grad 3 Ankle Sprain

In 2018 he missed 3 games to a Grade 2 Hamstring Strain before being released.

Now he has a torn ACL.

Here's the truth, we took another risk on a player that can't stay healthy and he got hurt.  There is no luck to this, this is a pattern.

Right...The skins took a "Risk" with High Reward and LOW..again LOW Cost. They missed for 2019...2020 who knows. So WHAT? It's early..we have backups and "could" get more. Brown was often out of position and didn't live up to Rep. The Sky is NOT Falling. Maybe..just Maybe we can get back to a 4-3 and put our real strength on the field more (The D lineman). We've f'd around too long with this 3-4. Get rid of it!1 Especially with Collins able to crash the box... We have ALLOT of talent available to run a 4-3. IMHO

7 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

All this team needs is four starting-quality players at each position while competing against 31 other teams for the same players and staying under the salary cap.

Great point. 

Of course we don't need four starting quality players per position. But when we have a position that requires two players on the field at the same time, it's kind of a good idea to have both of those positions filled with starting quality players lol. We went with one. Now we have none.

1 minute ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Right...The skins took a "Risk" with High Reward and LOW..again LOW Cost. They missed for 2019...2020 who knows. So WHAT? It's early..we have backups and "could" get more. Brown was often out of position and didn't live up to Rep. The Sky is NOT Falling. Maybe..just Maybe we can get back to a 4-3 and put our real strength on the field more (The D lineman). We've f'd around too long with this 3-4. Get rid of it!1 Especially with Collins able to crash the box... We have ALLOT of talent available to run a 4-3. IMHO

Why the hell would we go to a 4-3? After waffling in a 3-4 for 9 years, we FINALLY have the personnel to run it, and it showed last year. How does changing from a 3-4 to a 4-3 give us a new ILB? A new FS?

18 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Why the hell would we go to a 4-3? After waffling in a 3-4 for 9 years, we FINALLY have the personnel to run it, and it showed last year. How does changing from a 3-4 to a 4-3 give us a new ILB? A new FS?

Payne/Allen/ Ioannidis /Settle with Kerrigan/Sweat/Holcomb puts the best talent on the field. Holcomb replaced Brown OK last year so sticking with the 3-4 scheme is not doomed because of Foster going down. Bottom line...Foster was a risk taken and lost. It won't cripple the D so I'm not panicking.

9 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Payne/Allen/ Ioannidis /Settle with Kerrigan/Sweat/Holcomb puts the best talent on the field. Holcomb replaced Brown OK last year so sticking with the 3-4 scheme is not doomed because of Foster going down. Bottom line...Foster was a risk taken and lost. It won't cripple the D so I'm not panicking.

Where does Anderson fit into all that?...

13 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Now he has a torn ACL.

Here's the truth, we took another risk on a player that can't stay healthy and he got hurt.  There is no luck to this, this is a pattern.

I can't believe it took 10 pages to get to the heart of the matter.

41 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Slowest front 7 in NFL

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Good news! We are in a 4 man front on about 70% of snaps! Of the balance some are short yardage and goalline - which means we are in base on about 10-15% of snaps.

On those snaps we are in base we run a lot of 3-4 under. If I drew up a 3-4 under and did not label the positions you could not tell me if it was a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. They look identical. The difference is one player stood up (OLB) or with his hand in the dirt (DE).

1 gap or 2 gap (or hybrid) is a far bigger decision than odd or even front. Then what you ask players to do within the schemes.

I called my buddy in California to tell him the news.  He could not believe another serious injury to one of our players.  I joked with him that if I was traded from another NFL team to the Redskins I would be leery given the dreadful injury history the last 3 years.

55 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

lol. What.  

13 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Now he has a torn ACL.

I remember Lavar talking about lower body injuries suffered by players like himself and Laron Landry.  He was saying players with bigger upper body mass that are not in proportion with their lower body (trained for speed) are more susceptible to those type of injuries.  It makes you think back to why London Fletcher was able to play so long in the league not getting injured.  If someone like Fletcher would have stepped on another persons foot, that other persons foot would have holes in it.  

Now I'm not suggesting Skins should not go after these freak athletes, just something to consider

14 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Slowest front 7 in NFL

Sweat runs a 4.4 40. Allen ran 5 dead. Payne ran 4.9. SDH is a 4.6 guy. Clemons is a 4.6 guy.

I dont give a **** what 40 time Kerrigan runs he averages double digit sacks a season on his career.

We have speed and talent on defense. Just need someone to figure out how to use them.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This sucks. There's also possible nerve damage, so there's a chance things can actually get better. 

This reminds me so much of Guice. I get all excited for a new player in the uni, he gets hurt, it starts to sound not so bad, then it's bad (ACL) then it gets worse with the infection. 

Anyway, I wish Reuben all the best in his recovery. The Skins have spoken about how he's been working on his character this offseason. Please continue to do that as he fights back from this injury. 

17 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Good news! We are in a 4 man front on about 70% of snaps! Of the balance some are short yardage and goalline - which means we are in base on about 10-15% of snaps.

On those snaps we are in base we run a lot of 3-4 under. If I drew up a 3-4 under and did not label the positions you could not tell me if it was a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. They look identical. The difference is one player stood up (OLB) or with his hand in the dirt (DE).

1 gap or 2 gap (or hybrid) is a far bigger decision that odd or even front. Then what you ask players to do within the schemes.

Agree.

It's all the same ****.

Don't care where you're aligned... each gap will be covered. Whether it's two-gaps or one-gap per player. You could assign a guy standing next to the sideline the A-Gap if you really wanted. It would be stupid. But you could.

People get too caught up with these labels.

Furthermore, if you're in something 70% of the time, I'd argue THAT is your base. We do NOT run a 3-4 defense here.

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

How did Holcomb replace Brown last year when we just drafted him?

55 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Sweat runs a 4.4 40. Allen ran 5 dead. Payne ran 4.9. SDH is a 4.6 guy. Clemons is a 4.6 guy.

I dont give a **** what 40 time Kerrigan runs he averages double digit sacks a season on his career.

We have speed and talent on defense. Just need someone to figure out how to use them.

Sweat's speed is misleading. He's a bull rusher, so his 40 time doesn't translate into him blowing by the tackle. He could get there, but for now I'm looking at a front of 4/5 DLs that all mainly bull rush. Kerrigan would be the most technical rusher of the bunch because he's got a variety of hand fighting moves and wins on the outside. 

I want to add, the solution to Reuben getting hurt isn't a LB backup or in Free Agency. it's in our secondary in our newest leader being Landon Collins. We've been told numerous times that he's best around the line of scrimmage. I look back at one of our division rivals being the Eagles. When Jordan Hicks would go down they would just play a lot more nickle/dine where Malcolm Jenkins plays a LB hybrid role. Let's just do that with Collins and lean heavily on the DL to defend the run first. 

48 minutes ago, MartinC said:

In space or when Kerrigan is asked to drop in coverage is he slow. Mason Foster is probably the slowest ILB in the NFL.  Not sure how much Anderson will be playing but he is also slow. 

4 minutes ago, Alexa said:

In space or when Kerrigan is asked to drop in coverage is he slow. Mason Foster is probably the slowest ILB in the NFL.  Not sure how much Anderson will be playing but he is also slow. 

I've never understood dropping him into coverage. He's been one of if not the best pass rusher since he's been on the team. Why get cute and have him drop in coverage just because you want to send a corner/safety/LB? 

Play towards your player's strengths. Let the rushers rush and the coverage guys cover. 

Did anyone think this guy was going to play a lot of games for us? He's been in the league for two years and I'm not even sure he's actually got in 16 games. It's really unfortunate he got hurt but I just think  this organization needs to stop chasing guys that can't suit up on Sun.

Archived