Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Something tells me it's gonna take our 3rd round pick to get O.J. Howard.  Would you trade it for Howard?

Not a chance. Not for a guy entering his 4th year, coming off an injury plagued 2018, and an utterly unproductive 2019. Anything that involves us giving more than Trent, and ideally giving us a mid round pick too, should be a non-starter. I'm great with it if the Skins decided they could afford to pick up some salary obligations for TW. But no way do you want to give up an early 3rd round pick, which in this deep draft should be an instant impact starter on a rookie deal for 4 years, for a guy who has mostly been an underachiever going into his 4th year. I'd love to have Howard here, especially given our lack of talent at the TE position, but not at that price. 

Good to see Shenault can move alright but there's nothing overly fluid or crisp about his routes there. Which is what I expected because he's not some technician, and I'm sure the explosiveness will return over time. But that could have been a video of anyone running routes (though there were some nice snags), so nothing to get overly excited about other than the knowledge that he's not stuck in an earlier stage of rehab.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Something tells me it's gonna take our 3rd round pick to get O.J. Howard.  Would you trade it for Howard?

Nope. A more productive player in Quinton Dunbar and at a more premiere position just went for a 5th. If we're going to play that game, we better not be nice about it. I'd say we offer a 6th, the Bucs either take that or receive no value for him when he walks in FA. He's probably their 3rd string TE right now. 

15 hours ago, redskinss said:

Yes, the Redskins aren't one player away but we're not two or three inferior players away either and theres always a chance that happens.

For the last 20 years I've listened to fans and pundits say we're not one player away, well if we don't start acquiring blue chip talent we never will be.

Let's grab chase young and hopefully someday in the future we can finally say "we're one player away"

This is why we can't ever have nice things!

Solid point. Kyle wants blues. He says there are not a lot of them in the league. So to pass on one would be stupid.  

My take is Miami has tried everything possible to tamp the Tua love throughout this whole draft process. They like Herbert better, they are picking Andrew Thomas, They really want Burrow. Everything in hopes of lowering the price of moving up or sitting tight and hoping he falls to them. I believe Miami either stays put or moves up and its for Tua. 

All the rest is poker and smoke. imo.

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Good to see Shenault can move alright but there's nothing overly fluid or crisp about his routes there. Which is what I expected because he's not some technician, and I'm sure the explosiveness will return over time. But that could have been a video of anyone running routes (though there were some nice snags), so nothing to get overly excited about other than the knowledge that he's not stuck in an earlier stage of rehab.

Yeah those breaks were super labored.  A thousand gather steps to sink in to a rounded off break at what look to be random depths.

When you put the lousy route running together with the disappointing ball skills on downfield throws, you get a guy who is far more running back than receiver.  He's not that good IMO, and him "falling" into the second or third round was just a natural correction of him being so overhyped heading into the 2019 season.

This receiver class has so many fantastic route runners in it, I personally wouldn't want to draft a route runner as bad as Shenault.  It'd come with unusually high opportunity cost.

Shenault definitely looks labored there, and his routes are not clean. At first view he was a specimen but the more I see him

and watch him the more he falls for me. I think he could be a good slot weapon but he’s not a guy I’d take over other top weapon types. He’s in the lower end of the good weapon guys. 

I've had Jonathan Taylor available at 66 in almost all of the PFF simulated mocks I've done the past few days. The mock drafts that the PFF analysts themselves have published are terrible.  They don't demonstrate a very strong understanding of team building principles and methodology and they've gone whole hog on this nutty ass theory of position value that deems receivers and corners significantly more valuable than linemen of all kinds.  It also determines running backs and traditional stack linebackers to have essentially no value.  It's quite radical and doesn't hold up on comparison against either market value (no account for scarcity) or intrinsic value (linemen have significant impact on the outcome of almost every snap whereas corners and receivers certainly do not).  So I'm hesitant to run away with any conclusions based on their mock draft simulator because I think their awful theory of position value and the absurd weight that they place upon it, to the point of having teams avoid drafting BPA to a very unrealistic degree, has biased the results of that thing.

But I really want to run away with the conclusion that Taylor will be there at 66.  As crowded as our running back room is right now, with so many unknowns and so much untapped talent, if Taylor is available at 66, I think you have to draft him and let the depth chart sort itself out via competition.  There would probably be significant opportunity cost paid because I think either Guice or Love or both would be burned up by drafting another running back.  But there is more opportunity cost paid if we let a guy who goes on to become an All Pro RB slip past us because we were committed to two guys who had injury issues and didn't pan out.

In most of my simulated mocks, I've been getting offensive weapons with those third and fourth round picks.  Usually some combination of receivers and a tight end, but some of them have drafted one of the big four running backs at 66.  One of my favorite scenario has been getting Taylor at 66, Tyler Johnson at 108, and Harrison Bryant at 142, but there have been a lot of combinations of players that I liked.  Classes where we get one or more of Biadasz, Hunt, or Dotson.  Classes where we get Jordyn Brooks or Dantzler or one of the good safeties.  In the spirit of BPA, I've even picked Okwara or Jordan Elliot.  But I like a class where we follow up a Chase Young pick with adding several good weapons.  That's the most high upside scenario for us IMO.  Build what could become a legendary defensive line, and add the talent to spread the field out for a strong armed young QB who is built to drop back and throw 40 times a game.

11 hours ago, pcbothwel said:

To me, it seems pretty easy to from a purely financial aspect to carve out 10-15M from a couple guys, and that doesnt include the Wild Card of "Hey Player X, we are giving you the opportunity to play with Tom Brady and contend for a Super Bowl... What can we do?"

Usually this stuff leaks though especially from the team trying to unload the player. They want to let the world know they got multiple suitors to drive up a bidding war.

So for me to buy Tampa interest, I would have to hear from some reporter via Tampa or DC that they are really interested. As far as I recall that hasn’t happened at least not yet.  

The 3 teams that we keep hearing with real interest are the Browns, Jets, Vikings.  

Right now, if this bleeds into the draft my number one hope is the Browns lose out on one of the top 4 tackles and lose out on Ezra Cleveland in the 2nd round.  If that happens they might get desperate.

The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud reports the Buccaneers are happy to have O.J. Howard "line up with [Ron Gronkowski] in two-tight end formations" unless they're "blown away" with an offer.

"If someone blows them away, yeah, they'll consider trading [Howard]," Stroud elaborated on the most recent Sports Day Tampa Bay podcast. "But I think it would have to be at least a second-round pick. And even then I'm skeptical." Most assumed Howard was on the move the moment Gronk came out of retirement but it sounds as if the Bucs are open to making it work between the two and 28-year-old Cameron Brate, the latter who recently restructured his deal to ensure his return. Tampa Bay already leaned on the sixth-highest rate (28%) of 12 personnel (one running back, two tight ends) in 2019, but given this recent roster shake-up, fantasy players should expect that number to increase this upcoming year.

Apr 22, 2020, 6:56 AM ET
  •  

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I've had Jonathan Taylor available at 66 in almost all of the PFF simulated mocks I've done the past few days. The mock drafts that the PFF analysts themselves have published are terrible.  They don't demonstrate a very strong understanding of team building principles and methodology and they've gone whole hog on this nutty ass theory of position value that deems receivers and corners significantly more valuable than linemen of all kinds.  It also determines running backs and traditional stack linebackers to have essentially no value.  It's quite radical and doesn't hold up on comparison against either market value (no account for scarcity) or intrinsic value (linemen have significant impact on the outcome of almost every snap whereas corners and receivers certainly do not).  So I'm hesitant to run away with any conclusions based on their mock draft simulator because I think their awful theory of position value and the absurd weight that they place upon it, to the point of having teams avoid drafting BPA to a very unrealistic degree, has biased the results of that thing.

PFF is in their own orbit with players.  Taylor is their 3rd best back.  Plus the analytics types aren't big on the value of a RB just in general. So it doesn't surprise me Taylor falls to the third with them.  In the Draft Network mocks, I haven't see Taylor in the third once.  Like you, I think he's a stud.  I presume the counter argument to Taylor is he's not much of a pass catcher, fumbling issues and a lot of wear already on his tires.   I doubt he falls to the third but I guess you never know. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 7.25.40 AM.png

Archived