Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Unless I am missing a report, Tampa is one of the teams that the media speculated should be interested in Trent as opposed to them actually being genuinely interested.   But will see. 

Yeah, this is more spitballing on our parts rather than anything with any basis. But trading Trent and taking back Smith seems to make too much sense for them not to be interested, one would think.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

first year standard setting. And a ‘bit’ of salary, you must mean what, 6-8mil? **** that.

"Setting a standard" of not doing what's int he best interests of the team? Yes, how awesome that would be.

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, this is more spitballing on our parts rather than anything with any basis. But trading Trent and taking back Smith seems to make too much sense for them not to be interested, one would think.

I hear you on that.  But, just for me personally, I've learned to be cynical about caring much anymore about teams that the media purports should be interested in Trent at this juncture of it -- simply because enough time has passed for media speculation to translate to some kind of reality.  So as for Trent, I recall the media and the fans jumping on the idea that of course the next move for Tampa post Brady signing is to chase Trent. It makes sense.  But as far I know, they haven't chased Trent.  And there has been plenty of time for them to do it.  Granted, maybe it's gone below the radar but if so it would behoove the Redskins to leak it to drive the trade market up. 

Granted, you never know. The three teams where the consistent buzz has been about real interest are:  Vikings, Jets, Browns.  So I take them the most seriously.  But who knows?  Anything is possible.  I am just explaining why its tough for me to get jazzed about Tampa being a potential trade partner because I seriously doubt they are.  If I get even just one tiny rumor of genuine interest, I'd change my tune. 

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

by paying him off your not in my opinion.

Yes, instead get nothing, keep him here and pay him the full amount.

rogSetS.gif

I'm not even going to respond to this any more. Even if someone was on board with a Bruce-level of thinking that it's more important to screw Trent over than get value for the Redskins, you have to be the only one who thinks that this kind of thinking even equated to giving in to Trent or not. 

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

true, maybe should have paid 75% of Dunbars contract up and asked for a 4th instead.

That would have been excellent, Dunbar was making squat and a 4th is better than a 5th. He's getting paid either way, with our cap space it should be an option that's on the table if it increases our take by a round or more.

This isn't gonna happen with the Bucs though so this is all probably pointless blathering for us lol

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm not even going to respond to this any more. Even if someone was on board with a Bruce-level of thinking that it's more important to screw Trent over than get value for the Redskins, you have to be the only one who thinks that this kind of thinking even equated to giving in to Trent or not. 

The other side is he plays for us and plays well. I mean. I know he says he wont. But he will if we dont trade him and he doesnt retire. That would also allow us to worry about LT in next years draft.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The other side is he plays for us and plays well. I mean. I know he says he wont. But he will if we dont trade him and he doesnt retire. That would also allow us to worry about LT in next years draft.

That's not really related to what I was saying. Whether it is smart to keep Trent vs trading him is a separate issue. 

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Instead get nothing, keep him here and pay him the full amount

He would be in at LT for us them wouldn’t he. Or he’d get nothing. How insanely brilliant and cheaper than the 14.5mil you would pay Donovan Smith.

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That's not really related to what I was saying. Whether it is smart to keep Trent vs trading him is a separate issue. 

It is

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Moving up to 3 for an OT in this strong class does not feel like a smart use of resources for the Dolphins EVEN IF they could take or leave these QBs (which I also don't believe).

The only team that leak benefits is Detroit if they suspect the Giants want that OT at 4. 

Not buying it.

Id buy it if it were for their later two firsts and not 5. But I wouldn’t buy that for Detroit.

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

this is Rivera talking the draft with a brief glimpse at 2 players, anyone can tell which ones?  Hard for me, looked like the receiver was playing at the Gators stadium but could be wrong.  He was an outside receiver.

Was he a FL Gator WR or play for another team and do you know who the other team is, SIP?

23 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Nothing groundbreaking here but...

I'm curious who they would be. Since I'm bored, i'm guessing:

Jeudy

Lamb

Ruggs

Higgins

Aiyuk

Mims

Reagor

Shenault

Jefferson

Pittman or Hamler? 

I suppose it's true. Mindboggling but true.

Here is the fascinating and troubling aspect of the Gronk trade... New England is a team that loves to acquire NFL veterans, runs a traditionally tight end-heavy offense, is in desperate need of play making receivers and tight ends, and yet didn't negotiate Howard into the deal, when he clearly was available. they know what they're doing with their scouting, in general. And I thought I heard New England speculated as a landing spot for Howard in some media reports earlier this offseason. I think they may have even been in on Hooper. Only conclusion must be that Belichick doesn't like Howard.

It looks to me like the Ohio State player is on offense and makes a catch.  I went back and looked at KJ Hill's highlights and didnt see that particular play, so I don't know who else they would be looking at on offense.  On defense, i guess it could be Simmons, but its hard to tell. 

11 minutes ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

Here is the fascinating and troubling aspect of the Gronk trade... New England is a team that loves to acquire NFL veterans, runs a traditionally tight end-heavy offense, is in desperate need of play making receivers and tight ends, and yet didn't negotiate Howard into the deal, when he clearly was available. they know what they're doing with their scouting, in general. And I thought I heard New England speculated as a landing spot for Howard in some media reports earlier this offseason. I think they may have even been in on Hooper. Only conclusion must be that Belichick doesn't like Howard.

I think they're in a bit of a rebuild and having a guy about to go into year 4 and with a big year could end up having a big payday out of it and NE could walk out of it with a 3rd year comp pick. 4th in 2020 > 3rd in 2021. 

Red Jersey (OSU) appears to catch the ball, White Jersey / Orange Pants (Clemson) appears to make a tackle. 

I also went back and looked at Okudah's highlights of that game in the event that he made an interception and did not see anything there either.  

Rivera film study.png

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But here is Some perspective. The bucs have about 80M+ in cap hits to players that have restructure-able (Is that a word?) contracts.

Mike Evans: Making $18.3M in year 2 of 5 year extension (Highest Cap hit of the contract)

Shaquil Barrett: Making $15.8M on franchise tag

Donovan Smith: Making $14.5M in year 2 of 3 year extension (Highest Cap hit of the contract)

Ali Marpet: Making $11M in year 2 of 5 year extension (Highest Cap hit of the contract)

Lavonte David: Making $10.7M in last year of 5 year extension (Highest Cap hit of the contract)

Ryan Jensen: Making $10M in year 3 of 4 year contract (Highest Cap hit of the contract)

To me, it seems pretty easy to from a purely financial aspect to carve out 10-15M from a couple guys, and that doesnt include the Wild Card of "Hey Player X, we are giving you the opportunity to play with Tom Brady and contend for a Super Bowl... What can we do?"

Archived