Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, panahoo said:

Trade TW and late 4th for OJ Howard and a 2nd?

It makes too much sense on the surface. I assume Gronk renegotiates his deal that is currently 1 year and $10 million.

But even then, Bucs will be down under $8-9 million and need to play their draft class. I am sure they can create room through some re-workings and I am sure they can give TW a new contract that lowers his 2020 cap hit, but we may need to pay TW's contract in 2020 or take a player back.

A pick for OJ is a cleaner trade, but I would love to kill 2 birds here.

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

It makes too much sense on the surface. I assume Gronk renegotiates his deal that is currently 1 year and $10 million.

But even then, Bucs will be down under $8-9 million and need to play their draft class. I am sure they can create room through some re-workings and I am sure they can give TW a new contract that lowers his 2020 cap hit, but we may need to pay TW's contract in 2020 or take a player back.

A pick for OJ is a cleaner trade, but I would love to kill 2 birds here.

Im fine paying 1/2 or more of TWs salary this season to facilitate a trade. We have the cap room.

Just now, panahoo said:

Im fine paying 1/2 or more of TWs salary this season to facilitate a trade. We have the cap room.

Agree. Just not sure how that logistically would work. I assume we'd be more than happy to do that, especially given where our cap is in 2021. The rollover not as necessary.

I also think eating some of TW's 2020 salary would actually increase the return in pick value. OJ and a 2nd for TW and a 5th? If we take on the bulk of the 2020 salary?

Bucs want to trade back in R1 probably to take an RB ... could recoup their 2nd pretty easily.

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Agree. Just not sure how that logistically would work. I assume we'd be more than happy to do that, especially given where our cap is in 2021. The rollover not as necessary.

I assume works the same way it did for Keenum? Denver payed half that salary right?

Bucs have limited picks really. Can’t see them parting with a pick for TW. And they have Smith on a hefty deal at LT already.

Could be a wild few days, great stuff.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Bucs want to trade back in R1 probably to take an RB ... could recoup their 2nd pretty

Yeah plenty of buzz around CEH for them.

33 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Tua is their guy.  They've known since last season that they wanted him and they went to huge lengths to get into position to acquire him.  All the lying they've been doing about not wanting him the past few months is just to keep people from leapfrogging them or driving up the asking price on a trade up.  They're going to get him, IMO.  They'll pick him if he's there at five, but I think they're going to trade up for him at 3 or 4, and I don't think the asking price will be very bad.

Could be.  But I have some level of confidence that I know the scuttlebutt in South Florida as good as any fan.

This is coming from the South Florida guy who by a mile posted the most Dolphins want Tua stuff on the draft thread last year.  Most of that conversation here on said topic was generated from articles I posted here that I had access to because I subscribe to the major local papers who all require a paid subscription.    

Just saying I've been following the Dolphins almost as closely as the Redskins.  I am the dude who posted here months before it bleed into a national story that the Dolphin reporters locally have been saying they got a mega man crush on Burrow and will push the Bengals for a trade. 

And the scuttlebutt here as for Tua is they are genuinely concerned about his durability.  Maybe they are making it up and really have no concerns at all.  But I'll say this if the Dolphins FO don't really have concerns about Tua's durability they have done a masterful job throwing people off by leaking the opposite.   

Just like the Redskins beat guys constantly say Chase Young is the pick unless the Redskins get floored with an offer.  The Dolphin reporters have been equally consistent for months saying the Tua draft crush from last year has been tempered and they won't pay the moon for him but are willing to pay the moon for Burrow. 

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

A sign and trade that has us paying a large portion of this years contract for Trent and a late rounder for OJ and a 2nd would be fantastic.

I've been wondering if they have thought of offering to pay some of Trent's salary to get the deal done. Could facilitate it and we have the space to do it easily. If you think about it, say we pay half his salary, then the new team gives him a $30 mil signing bonus on a 4 year extension. The first year hit would then be $12.25 mil. Assume they then pay him 8,9, 10, 11 over the 4 years, it's a 4 year 68 mil extension (17 per) with pretty reasonable cap hits (14-17 mil per) They could throw in a 5th year on the deal too, pretty irrelevant to this scenario. But that all becomes doable by us taking on some of the salary in 2020. 

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I don’t think RR would advocate giving Trent the steam off his piss, nevermind sanctioning a move to pay him millions on his way out the door. Could be wrong though.

I think some of the money thing is irrelevant to RR. Getting value for him is more important. If having to sacrifice some unused cap space to get that value is necessary, so be it. That cap space wasnt being used anyways. And it isnt a long term cap hit.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I don’t think RR would advocate giving Trent the steam off his piss, nevermind sanctioning a move to pay him millions on his way out the door. Could be wrong though.

If the guy in charge of our football decisions would refuse to make a deal in the best interests of the team because he would view eating a bit of salary as "giving in" to a player and thus turned it down to spite him, then we still are as bad off as we were under Bruce. 

2 minutes ago, panahoo said:

I think some of the money thing is irrelevant to RR. Getting value for him is more important. If having to sacrifice some unused cap space to get that value is necessary, so be it. That cap space wasnt being used anyways. And it isnt a long term cap hit.

First year. He’s setting a standard.

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

If the guy in charge of our football decisions would refuse to make a deal in the best interests of the team because he would view eating a bit of salary as "giving in" to a player and thus turned it down to spite him, then we still are as bad off as we were under Bruce. 

first year standard setting. And a ‘bit’ of salary, you must mean what, 6-8mil? **** that.

Archived