Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: What kind of fan are you choosing to be - post draft edition

How are you feeling about the Redskins as a fan?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your feelings about the Skins right now, compared to how you felt earlier in the year?

• A lot more pessistic than before. Don't like much of anything that has transpired so far this offseason.
    • Slightly more pessiistic than before. A couple of things make me feel this team could be worse off than I thought.
    • No difference. Feel exactly the same as before.
    • Slightly more optimistic. A few things have me feeling the state of the team may be improving.
    • A lot more optimistic. I like a lot of the things that have transpired this offseason.
    • I'm apathetic and don't give a rat's ass one way or another.

I feel better about the team in the long term because we are finally starting to establish some consistency in our approach to maintaining and accumulating draft picks and we've done a decent job drafting the last 3 years although the jury is still out on some of those picks.

But I'm not sure I feel differently about the upcoming season but the potential seems to be there.

I think the team is trending up.  I think our Defense will be fun to watch. I like the WR picks, and am hopeful we get to see a healthy Guice this year.  OL will be a bit of a ride, but they have put a few more bodies in place to avoid street guys.  Still worried about T health, but here we go either way.

Coaching we'll see.  If we run, run, pass every 1st, 2nd, 3rd I'll be pretty pissed.  More times then not, I feel like I can guess what we're gonna do and I'm not really a X-O's guy. 

Bruce Allen still needs to go.  But as long as he can let other guys do good work, it does make it easier to ignore. 

Overall, slightly more optimistic, but that's like others said, due to a solid draft.

For those saying Haskins has lowered optimism, think this way.  If the team bombs, Gruden is gone, we have a high pick and nothing would stop a new coach from getting his guy Murray/Rosen style if needed.  Only difference is that we didn't trade up to get Haskins.  This isn't RGIII level, so even if he is as terrible as you think, it still wouldn't be that bad.  And hey, you could be wrong.

Art is spot on in his assessment. Granted a lot of things have to fall into place but my optimism stems from the following:

* Haskins obviously - what's not to like

*A healthy Guice and Love is a potentially devastating combination that could have defenses reeling the potential here is truly special

*Kelvin Harmon terrific possession WR and chain mover is something we have sorely missed  

* Scary Terry 

I am a lot more optimistic about the future based on the talent accrued in free agency and the draft.  The two things that give me some pause is injury and coaching.  Is it unfair, to suggest that if Belichick and his coaching staff had this team, they would have a much better record than Gruden and his coaching staff will have?

Cynical Know it all completely unable to see anyone else's point of view or opinion . Constant berating of others predictions while making sure to take personnel jabs because online rep matters bro. 

Just like the Redskins I'm incredibly predictable every season. I'll be a debbie downer until our first preseason game at which point I'll turn into the biggest homer in this place. When we get off to our fast start like we always do I will be filling others heads with dreams of playoffs and post season glory. By Week 9 i will be totally dejected and joining others in the never ending barrage of verbal diarrhea and circle jerking as to how it all went wrong, Again. 

😀

Slightly more optimistic. Hats off to the FO for not mortgaging the future. Overall, I think it was a fantastic draft. Haskins has great potential and with Guice/AP we could have a running game if the line can stay healthy. My biggest concerns are the coach's abilities to adjust in game on both sides of the ball and the ridiculous injury bug that has plagued us these past few years.  

Optimistic for two main reasons:

(1) There were rumors of potential franchise crippling moves (trading into the top 5 or drafting Daniel Jones) that would set the team back years. the team didn't do that and actually landed a pretty good QB prospect by sitting at 15; and

(2) The draft was generally well run and smart.

That said, I'm not sure these moves work. A lot rides on Haskins, but that's true of any QB selection. So there's risk regardless. But it was a well played move and at least I can applaud the method. The team still has serious needs and likely won't get good QB play in 2019 regardless of who starts. So I don't have a ton of hope for 2019, but I like where everything is headed.

I went with "No different" but I should explain what my attitude already was....

It was gawd awful. I'm sick of this front office. I'm sick of the entire starting lineup getting hurt. I'm sick of poor coaching decisions. I'm sick of bad public relations and I'm real dog gone sick and tired of losing, especially to our division opponents. 

Until I see ALL those things take a big swing in the other direction for an ENTIRE season, I cannot expect change from a poor organization. That's all I got.

Just win.

26 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hmmm. What type of fan am I choosing to be? 

With this coaching staff ...... ?

Pretty much the same.

Non-existent.

Hail. 

Just had to piss on the embers dintcha? <smh>

So I was optimistic last year and still the same this year. So I guess I am no different. If we didn't get historically banged up last year, we would have won the division and get to the divisional round. I believe our consistency in the off season is beginning to pay off and this off season seems to be no exception either.

I said alot more optimistic, but im really just more intrigued than anything. At this point even if the current plan fails, it would at least be interesting to watch and see how. Kind of like how I feel about the Wizards at this point only with a bit more hope. 

I look forward to either success and being able to understand why, or failure and being able to dissect it for the next few years. Think RG3 post year one but with anger. 

I have a wait and see position so my opinion is pretty much unchanged since the draft.  Still think there are problems with the conditioning program and expectations of players. I still think Gruden is lax in those areas and I think the practices are too soft.  And he does not play them enough in the preseason. You could easily say, not playing, getting up to speed also factors into injuries.  I believe we have suffered an inordinate amount of injuries the last 3 years and we have to look at the expectations coming from the coach. 

I think you have to take the approach at this point of practice hard, play them enough during the preseason so you see what you have in players and get them up to game speed.  Period.  And if they get hurt, what else is new?  That means yeah, you take some risks at this point because the no play, holding them back did not work in the Skin's favor on the offensive side of the ball last year with Alex Smith.  In fact it has not worked well the past three years.

Rapport between the QB and receivers is critical.   I like the composition on the D side of the ball at this point, but we all know chemistry, scheme, risks taking during games all factor in.

Let's see what happens.

37 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I said alot more optimistic, but im really just more intrigued than anything. At this point even if the current plan fails, it would at least be interesting to watch and see how. Kind of like how I feel about the Wizards at this point only with a bit more hope. 

I look forward to either success and being able to understand why, or failure and being able to dissect it for the next few years. Think RG3 post year one but with anger. 

Intriguing is a good way to describe my feeling as well.

There are just too many unknowns right now for me to feel anything else. Of course, this is my team, so I will be optimistic, but that optimism is chased by 30 years of heartbreak.

With the QB spot being so important and due to the Smith injury it's a huge cap drag on us I'm just happy Haskins gives us something to look forward too. 

Personally I want a season of all Haskins. We could easily suck (like the Colts did the first year with Peyton), but it will give us hope for the future. 

The sad part is when I take a step back it's still... sad. I know the same owner is here and we have entered a 'lame duck' year with the head coach. As hopeful as I am with this past draft, I also have to be realistic that there's a chance we enter next season with a new regime. Adding to that it's not like many respectable head coaching candidates want to come here just to be a 'yes man' to Snyder/Allen. I'd expect a circa-2014 Jay Gruden type hire where it's a coordinator whom isn't highly sought after, but are willing to put up with Snyder just to get a HC gig. Don't get me wrong, I'll try to get excited about him, but when it happens I'll have a hard time not thinking of the past 20 years of coaching hires. 

I went with slightly more optimistic.  And It's not that I've been moved one whit where I am a bigger fan than before of Dan or Bruce.  I haven't moved an inch on either one.  But I think I've been fair with both.  I've defended their moves when I liked them and trashed the ones I didn't like.  And I've on fundamental issues taken both of their sides over the years -- I sided with Bruce on the Scot spat and sided with Dan versus Shanny.    As I've stated before both Dan and Bruce really had to wear me down over a long sample size for me to become hard critics of both.

I've also consistently said, I'll take Dan and Bruce out my dungeon so to speak as soon as they win.  I say it every year.  I'll say it again, go win a bunch of games and I'll happily praise either one.  I don't think much of either one right now on a macro level.  But my mind is open where it would change if they have success.   But I am tired of debating the reasons for it.  Right now, I am just at win baby and I'll praise.  Keep losing or go mediocre then I'll pan them.  Simple as that.  I've given my reasons in detail before as to what i like and don't like and why and am bored talking about it now.

So why I am I slightly more optimistic in spite of me not having more faith in the decision makers?   For me its simple, while I've liked Kyle's drafts in recent years and have come to expect that I'll be happy with their college scouting (and mostly disappointed in their pro scouting) they haven't hit big on the two spots that IMO are needed to elevate any team off of the mediocrity wheel that they seem stuck on  -- that is, QB and pass rusher.

A.  I am not a big Haskins guy.  But the dude has talent.  So to me they at least have a lottery ticket now.

B.  I am a big M. Sweat guy and I think he will elevate the D from being good to being great.

I like a bunch of their picks but I always tend to like that side of the operation.   I do like their more aggressive approach this time.  Loved for example Bryce Love in 2017 -- taking him in this draft with the ACL issue is ballsy.  Swinging for another young Qb in the first round is also ballsy.  Trading up in the first for Sweat was ballsy.  So I like the aggression.

I voted the same.

While I am more at peace with the Haskins pick and they admittedly had a good draft, I would have rather traded back, not given up next years 2nd, filled a couple more holes, and went with QB next year.  That is based on McCoy being ready to go when camp beings.

My pessimism is rooted in upper management seemingly unable to have a plan beyond the upcoming season.   I would prefer that they draft for long term.

I hope their confidence in Haskins is justified and that he becomes our QB for the foreseeable future.

HTTR

Archived