Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: What kind of fan are you choosing to be - post draft edition

How are you feeling about the Redskins as a fan?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your feelings about the Skins right now, compared to how you felt earlier in the year?

• A lot more pessistic than before. Don't like much of anything that has transpired so far this offseason.
    • Slightly more pessiistic than before. A couple of things make me feel this team could be worse off than I thought.
    • No difference. Feel exactly the same as before.
    • Slightly more optimistic. A few things have me feeling the state of the team may be improving.
    • A lot more optimistic. I like a lot of the things that have transpired this offseason.
    • I'm apathetic and don't give a rat's ass one way or another.

I feel slightly more optimistic. I still think this will be about a .500 year at best, but there are a few things that give me some more hope than I had at the end of the season:

1. The future wasn't mortgaged for Haskins. Don't know how it happened that he fell to 15, but I was really worried the FO would try to trade above the Giants and give up another RG3 fortune for a QB. Whether Haskins blows up or just blows, at least there's not 3 years of draft hell tied up in the decision.

2. Related: the QB situation isn't as terrible as December. Smith is done, whether he's done for good or just done here is up to fate, but he was an expensive 1/2 year rental. Case may not be a world-beater, but he buys 1 valuable thing: the option of time. If Haskins wins out in camp and preseason, fine. But he's not going to be required to be thrown to the wolves ASAP, which could allow him to actually develop.

-My ideal scenario is similar to the Giants in '04: Case starts the season while Haskins learns and develops on the bench. With the late week 10 bye, that gives a great opportunity for Haskins to come in at the end of the year and get some experience without throwing him out there in week 1 unprepared (and if our O-line is a MASH unit by that point, keep in Keenum). Plus, if Case is mediocre to slightly good, we could get some nice Comp picks for him when some other team overpays him next year.

3. Somebody realized how damn slow this team is, so there was an obvious emphasis on speed in the draft. Thank God.

If it were one good draft, I don't think that changes anything.  Two good drafts in a row and that's a reason to look closer.  Three good drafts in a row and you've consistently added talent, so there's reason for optimism moving forward.

I'm here. That means I'm an optimist :silly:

That said, I am doubtful not for reasons of talent. I think we've had two and maybe three good drafts in a row. We have holes, but every team does. What keeps me sailing close to the shore is the fact that I don't have faith that the coaches know how to work around our holes and don't know how to scheme to take advantage of our strengths or our opponents weaknesses. Probably the worst thing I hard last year was that they wanted Josh Johnson because he'd be familiar with the scheme.

Josh played with Jay in Cinci. If the scheme hasn't changed in 6 years that is some damn stagnant system.

I didn't vote (never do in my own polls lol) but I am slightly more optimistic. As mentioned above, we've been seeing dividends on our last two drafts, this offseason we added speed, impressive talent and youth to the defense, and there's a ton of speed, potential, and talent from this year's draft. I mean, something like 6 or 7 of the 11 projected starters on defense are 26 yrs old or younger...I think this may also be the most home-grown starters on defense in a long time (don't quote me on that, though lol). At least in the front 7 anyway...5 of the 7 starters in the front 7 are homegrown, and 5 of them are 25 or younger. So I'm a little bit more optimistic about the future, I guess, more so than the present.

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm here. That means I'm an optimist :silly:

That said, I am doubtful not for reasons of talent. I think we've had two and maybe three good drafts in a row. We have holes, but every team does. What keeps me sailing close to the shore is the fact that I don't have faith that the coaches know how to work around our holes and don't know how to scheme to take advantage of our strengths or our opponents weaknesses. Probably the worst thing I hard last year was that they wanted Josh Johnson because he'd be familiar with the scheme.

Josh played with Jay in Cinci. If the scheme hasn't changed in 6 years that is some damn stagnant system.

I don't think it's gonna be status quo after this season, though. Either Gruden will have shown himself worthy of keeping or we're making a change.

The same fan I am every year. Try to take over the wo-- wait, I'm thinking of something else..

Seriously I just want the offense to be better than it was last year, it was dreadful with Alex in there. I mean he protected the ball, but it felt like we had a rookie QB out there who they didn't trust to unleash the full playbook on because he'd wouldn't pull the trigger on open receivers. The running game was solid but went down hill when we lost Schreff and Lauvao. Wanna see better production from our linebackers. Secondary I feel will be alright with Dunbar back healthy and Moreau now more seasoned. I remember the jump Kendall Fuller made his 2nd year that got people up in arms when we traded him.. Maybe Moreau makes the same jump. 

I'm almost 35 and have yet to see anything special from this team that I can remember. 

Drafting good a year or 2 isn't going to change my opinion on this team. I love this team, but as of right now they are below the Browns and that's saying something. 

If you want to change opinions and put butts in the seat. It's pretty damn simple. Win and don't just win 9 or 10 games one year and take a dump after that for another 5 years. 

Put together a team that is competitive for multiple years and has a shot to make a real run at a Superbowl. 

This team has proved nothing by maybe drafting good this year or last. Put it together as a unit as a organization and win. 

The addition of Montez alone I a slightly more optimistic. The front seven are going to be stellar.

Yes they had very fruitful draft including many of the later rounders.

Haskins is a year away from knowing what he will really bring to the team, that is if next season doesn't bring a new coaches system to learn.

Can't wait til the day they can really draft BPA. So many holes to fill and only so many draft picks. Heck, they could have another draft right now and take a CB, S, LB, TE, G, and T.

I can't wait to watch the D. Hope the Off can put things together.  I am  much more comfortable with Case over Colt at the helm.

I don't really fall into any of the categories you defined on the optimism/pessimism scale.  My feeling today is the people running the Skins have a much different perception of the team than me.  They apparently feel the OL is fundamentally sound and the high priorities they needed to address in 2019 were at QB, edge rusher, wide receiver and running back.  Given what I saw the last two years I think the OL is really broken regardless of the lucrative contracts the two tackles have and is the unit to address before any success can be expected.  They didn't address the OL until the 5th and 6th picks when they drafted a couple of interior lineman. 

I hope they are right and the horrendous injuries that debilitated the OL two years in a row were because of bad luck rather then the players wearing out.  I only saw what I saw watching the games, obviously, the management and ownership have much more information to work with than any of us but I don't really have confidence in them.  The battered, cynical fan in me wonders if they made the picks they made because of the heavy contracts with the tackles and they are whistling as they pass by the cemetery.   In other words, were they afraid to use top picks on the OL because doing so would reflect poorly on the judgments they made about the tackles in their recent contract negotiations?  I am a seriously battered fan to think so negatively, but that is where I am.

If they are right about the OL than I don't have any complaints because they appear to have drafted the QB they wanted on schedule instead of a crazy reach.  I have seen Sweats play and he'll be disruptive rushing the passer an element the Skins have needed.  I don't know how well he will do holding the edge against the run but he will be in the backfield a lot and command attention.  The Redskins defensive line was already solid now it is going to be very potent.   The neighborhood got tougher because of Sweats. 

The receiving corps has been weak so Haskins' speedy OSU teammate should help and another running back couldn't hurt either.  After all, we haven't seen Guice play so we don't know what we have and AP is going to ride to the HOF sooner then we want.  if the 2019 OL is healthy and reasonably productive this could be a smart draft but if the 2019 Redskins OL playing in November is a blend of walking wounded and express bus arrivals like in 2018 and 2017 then it will be another season of are these clowns serious?  I hope they are right but I can't muster enough hope to be optimistic.

10 hours ago, Burgold said:

What keeps me sailing close to the shore is the fact that I don't have faith that the coaches know how to work around our holes and don't know how to scheme to take advantage of our strengths or our opponents weaknesses.

This is how I feel as well. I really like our draft, but I question Manusky's ability to properly use Collins, develop and scheme for Sweat. 

Our defense was a stone wall against the run until we got shredded by the Falcons, and we weren't the same again. What happened? 

We've also had an insane number of injuries the last 2-3 years. Have we looked at that?

Will Snyder stay out of the way with Haskins? 

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Our defense was a stone wall against the run until we got shredded by the Falcons, and we weren't the same again. What happened? 

Exactly. This reminded me too much of Zorn. Zorn sprinted out to a 7-1 start and we all got incredibly Zorny. Then, a defensive coordinator figured him out. Once that happened he was done because every defense attacked him the same way and Zorn was never able to come up with a plan b. He could never adjust to the adjustments. Once Manusky's D was figured out, everyone did the same thing to us and Manusky was never able to  counter. Suddenly, an impressive D became Haslett-like. 

I feel like this inability to counter-adjust is also true (to a lesser degree) with Gruden. Jay doesn't seem to be able to change it up in a game. He sticks with his game plan. Often, it'll take him half a season to try something different. 

12 hours ago, respectgibbs said:

I think the Haskins pick is going to stagnate the team for another 4 years. Less optimistic. 

That's hilarious....we finally get a young QB with talent and you think the next 4 years will be stagnate?

If we didn't get Haskins the next 4 years would certainly be stagnate.  If this kid turns out to be one of the premier QB's in the league we will skyrocket.  Lets just wait and see how stagnate it is when he starts producing like Phillip Rivers.  I'm very optimistic not just with Haskins but with our other signings as well.

1 hour ago, Poindexter said:

That's hilarious....we finally get a young QB with talent and you think the next 4 years will be stagnate?

It's entirely possible. He is going to start for the next several years, probably not day one, but he'll still be given ample opportunity to start and prove he can play in the pros. if he sucks--he'll absolutely stagnate the team for the next couple of years.

However, it's also entirely possible he lights it up.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Exactly. This reminded me too much of Zorn. Zorn sprinted out to a 7-1 start and we all got incredibly Zorny. Then, a defensive coordinator figured him out. Once that happened he was done because every defense attacked him the same way and Zorn was never able to come up with a plan b. He could never adjust to the adjustments. Once Manusky's D was figured out, everyone did the same thing to us and Manusky was never able to  counter. Suddenly, an impressive D became Haslett-like. 

I feel like this inability to counter-adjust is also true (to a lesser degree) with Gruden. Jay doesn't seem to be able to change it up in a game. He sticks with his game plan. Often, it'll take him half a season to try something different. 

Before Atlanta: 80.14 Rush YPG

Atlanta and after: 144.3

You're exactly right...

To make matters worse: Tampa ran for 103, 29th in rushing; Atlanta ran for 154, 27th in rushing...

My answer here is not exactly linear.   For the upcoming year, I'm still reasonably pessimistic.   I believe our situation at the end of last year necessitated sweeping changes, but the fact no one knew what Alex would do, in terms of retiring or not or whether we'd cut him and eat the cap hit, combined with having no real future at the most important position on the roster led our team to being one few, if any, would seriously want to stake a career on.   In a way, given the Smith situation, we are quite lucky to have retained a coaching staff, flawed as it is, with NFL experience who can coach an NFL team.

Still, unless and until I see Manusky REALLY adapt his scheme to the players -- this means some bear fronts and forcing the opposition into hots and doing stuff off time -- and until I see Gruden actually lead an offense above the core personnel pieces, I think we'll generally be pretty rough.   And as I doubt either guy can do that, barring exceptional good health and some surprising performances, we're a fairly average team at best with the capacity for much worse.

However, the mere fact we have Haskins gives us a player who COULD be a future building block, I am much more optimistic for the future, beyond next year.   We won't know much for at least a year and probably two as to whether he will be, and I fully expect some REALLY ugly moments as he learns standard NFL drops and the like, but that, alone, having someone who COULD possibly be the answer for 10 years is exciting for a fan and is exciting for me.   And our situation now puts us in a much better situation should we need to make a coaching change after this year as we possibly have someone there to build around and the Smith cap issue is mitigated by eating a year of his contract this year.   

It is not improbable to me the Redskins could be quite good this year as there is talent, especially defensively, to be an interesting team.  The offense lacks proven, productive weapons on the outside to be considered very good, but on the off chance a couple guys become legit 60-or-so catch receivers, we could even be interesting on offense, if healthy.   Keenum is not good, but he did have a really good 2017 and a 2018 that was at least as good as we were going to have out of Smith.   And ultimately I think he'll have the starting job after a couple weeks of Colt for the bulk of a season in which we're competitive.    I just suspect we'll be 5-11 or 6-10 this year as we will have injuries, though hopefully less than last year, and Manusky won't actually lead a defense which HAS to lead the team.   He'll continue to run a defense that compliments an offense, cause that's what he is and what Gruden wants.

I will continue to hope for better, but expect it not :).

Archived