Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: A once-proud franchise, the Redskins are showing signs of foundational cracks

hail2skins

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’d take Gregg back on any capacity.  Though the Browns should keep him as HC.

I have to think Gregg would get a few interviews for HC based on what he managed with the Browns.

I’d prefer him as. HC, but even as a Dc, he might be able to instill discipline, at least on the defensive side.  And maybe some of his toughness would rub off on Jay. Which would be helpful.

Me three.  Although I'd probably lean more towards him being the DC, or if he's HC at least let someone else be in charge of offense.

Thanks for the Steinberg update.  I think the Danny could care less what the Wash Post writes about his team because over the years the Post has been so critical of his management team.    The fans are fed up and right now we are stuck with a clueless owner.   There is a reason why in 2001 I took the quote below from Snyder and made it my signature quote for responding to ES threads!!

13 hours ago, hail2skins said:

...But at the least, the Skins will probably go back to making the seats available to brokers, which will result in lower secondary market prices again, and probably at least more butts in seats in 2019, if not as many as there were in 2017. 

That might work for the bottom line in the short term, but it will make home games even more like road games for the Skins. That will make the on field product even worse, lowering home team fan turnout.

13 hours ago, my_friend_goo said:

Maybe, just maybe, financial ruin is closer for Snyder on a personal level than we think. Could explain the lack of investment in certain areas. Plenty of companies have gone under after their dire financial situation is only made clear at the very end.

I sincerely doubt it but, 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

9 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

If I were lucky enough to have had business success that allowed me to buy the Skins, and then fans - lots of fans - blamed me for single handedly destroying the team, I wouldn't look at social media or talk radio either.  No one would.  It's like having your baby die and behind your back everyone talks about how it was your fault.  I think he knows the level of dissatisfaction, but is taking shelter in people he considers friends because they tell him that the fans don't know what they're talking about.

If it were me, I’d do what one of my heroes Malcolm X advised, i.e. when someone else is kicking your arse, they know something you don’t. Find out what they’re doing that you’re not. Pretty simple advice but difficult for toxic, narcissistic types like Snyder to do.

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

All this is overdone. Sucks, yeah,  but we are middle of the road team.... There are plenty of teams that are doing worse than we are and have been bad for a long time. 

that’s not an endorsement of bruce, but the sky isn’t falling. 

Well, in a way yes overall for this season...…..7-9 is somewhat middle of the road.

But when you take it over the longer view, the Skins are in the league's bottom 25 percent when it comes to overall record over Snyder's ownership, which is now 20 years old. You can't expect people not to be pissed with that.

And, as Art and others have pointed out, a lot depends on Alex's situation. If he can't go and with his contract, we are screwed. 

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

All this is overdone. Sucks, yeah,  but we are middle of the road team.... There are plenty of teams that are doing worse than we are and have been bad for a long time. 

Can you PLEASE ask your dad to sell the team? 

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

This reaction to the team isn't about THIS year... because you know what... after alll these injuries we are still middle of the road team which isn't "sky is falling" season... For most season, this might lead some of us to have some hope going into next year...

This reaction to the team is really about past 20 years under Snyder and last 8 years with Bruce Allen in the Front Office...  I am with these fans....  The Redskins have finally BROKEN ME as a fan...  I just do not have any hope left and I do not see a point of trying to work myself up until Bruce Allen is gone and new leadership enters the building....

I am not even mentioning Snyder selling the team because THAT for sure is not going to happen...   Just #FireBruceAllen and lets just our relationship between the team and fans hit a reset button and start over....

On 12/29/2018 at 9:20 PM, SkinsHokieFan said:

i also cannot imagine citizens in any jurdistication allowing tax owing tax dollars to go to a new stadium. The public will be up in arms 

@TheGreatBuzz this needs to be part of the protest that can't be ignored.  We should start talking about this now, even if it costs us the RFK site

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think the 14 teams that have a worse record than us this year have been more successful since 1991. More double digit wins, playoffs appearances, superbowls, etc. We truly suck.

18 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Exactly, at this point the only ammunition that we have as fans is to push back against any stadium proposals. This team isn't worth it.

I'd rather trap Snyder at FedEx then let him think for two seconds that this is okay.  Public money for new stadium on RFK is like giving a golden ticket to one of those brats in Willy Wonka.

I won't buy anymore Redskins stuff for now, have like 5 jerseys.  It will be really hard for me to stop going to games, but if we want Dans attention this needs to cost him money.  What will be really hard is getting any fan base to do this with us, if we don't go, it will be just like this game where it's not a lot or even but 70-30 opposing fans, or worse.  Opposing fans will want that more then our franchise turning around.

For real if this game changes nothing, it should kill notion not going will change anything.  If some of y'all really believe Snyder cares more about money then winning, don't put it past him to advertise chance to see us play good teams vs being one.  

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@TheGreatBuzz this needs to be part of the protest that can't be ignored.  We should start talking about this now, even if it costs us the RFK site

I agree about public funding for stadiums but that is a different argument.   But I don't pay taxes in the area so it's not my money.  That is fight for taxpayers in that area.

8 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I stopped reading at, "we don't have a star player to build around."  I have hope for Derrius Guice.  The chances of him being a star aren't great.  But like I said, I'm hoping.

They're less great after shredding his knee, having not even taken a single meaningful snap. Total unknown at this point.

10 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Well, in a way yes overall for this season...…..7-9 is somewhat middle of the road.

But when you take it over the longer view, the Skins are in the league's bottom 25 percent when it comes to overall record over Snyder's ownership, which is now 20 years old. You can't expect people not to be pissed with that.

And, as Art and others have pointed out, a lot depends on Alex's situation. If he can't go and with his contract, we are screwed. 

Listening to Keim, Finlay, etc seems to be the current thought is Alex is out for 2019 but maybe comes back in 2020 and there is concern whether when he does he's the same player. 

The odds that Alex is sunk cost alas is looking really good.

On 12/30/2018 at 12:53 PM, hail2skins said:

So I think the capacity is in reality around 75K at most. Attendance for the Dallas game was listed as 66300, and from being there, although there were noticeable empty seats in the upper deck, the place was pretty much packed otherwise

Now as far as reporting, I think the Skins took every single seat/position they had that either they sold or was made available to ticket brokers, which gave you the attendance figures of the mid-to-high 70s that have been reported in recent seasons. But not that many folks attended the games, as there have been noticeable empties in the club and upper decks during those seasons. 

I can't speak for the NFL specifically, but I know in "soccer", the attendance is usually given for tickets sold, not people who actually turn up. Season ticket holders are included regardless of whether they turn up, so it is often stated as several thousand higher than the number that actually attended games. I suspect this ties in to what you're saying pretty well for the Redskins.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

They're less great after shredding his knee, having not even taken a single meaningful snap. Total unknown at this point.

Don't forget that even when fully healthy the Calahan O-line (along with the weak TE blocking from Reed and Davis) is probably the worst unit in the NFL.  Even when the O-line was healthy AP had to make guys miss before getting to the LOS in week 1! 

I'd move on from Calahan, Davis, and Reed this year.  Trade Reed and just cut Davis.  Or just have Reed lose 20 lbs and play receiver.  That's all he is.

However, with BA deciding in many cases who takes the field and who does not we shouldn't dare hope for any "super smart" football decisions.

Archived