Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: A once-proud franchise, the Redskins are showing signs of foundational cracks

hail2skins

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I agree about public funding for stadiums but that is a different argument.   But I don't pay taxes in the area so it's not my money.  That is fight for taxpayers in that area.

Technically. DC as a city gets as much subsidies as some states and their budget has to be approved by feds.  You can make argument to get stadium back in DC, federal government would need to approve it and some of the money appropriated to the city would go to that (so yea, that's our money, too, technically).  Again, this should be a multi-prong approach that effects his wallet as that seems to be only thing that gets Snyders attention.

8 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I'd move on from Calahan, Davis, and Reed this year.  Trade Reed and just cut Davis.  Or just have Reed lose 20 lbs and play receiver.  That's all he is.

I made a thread saying we should do this exact thing a couple years ago and people kept telling my he wouldn't be able to beat corners consistently. He totally could, and if we had any imagination wed stop using like h had to be a TE given our WR core is garbage.  He's our best receiver yet we refused to act like he was until Colt came in and his first pass was a TD to him. Healthiest he's been since he got here and most hard headed I've ever seen him utilized.

For those obsessed with the head coach -- and as I've said many times I wouldn't lose sleep if Jay stays or goes but i like him as a dude and that means something to me considering the other unlikeable people at the top -- but agree with the point below from the football outsiders guy -- the FO is the key.  

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For those obsessed with the head coach -- and as I've said many times I wouldn't lose sleep if Jay stays or goes but i like him as a dude and that means something to me considering the other unlikeable people at the top -- but agree with the point below from the football outsiders guy -- the FO is the key. 

I agree he's likable and I wish things would have worked out with Scot McCloughan. Obviously, not being privy to exactly what transpired, I was personally hoping that someone with his proven draft acumen combined with our glaring need of someone with such capacity should have allowed for a much longer leash before parting ways. I was also taken aback by reading that Snyder had been trying to coax Brian Lafemina away from his prior gig with the NFL to join the Redskins for a year. That coupled with the fact he was given only eight months on the job is stunning to me. There must be more to this. Here's hoping the New Year brings some joy to Redskins fans everywhere.

59 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I agree he's likable and I wish things would have worked out with Scot McCloughan. Obviously, not being privy to exactly what transpired, I was personally hoping that someone with his proven draft acumen combined with our glaring need of someone with such capacity should have allowed for a much longer leash before parting ways.

I'd actually like to see how things would work with Shaeffer, Kyle Smith, and Jay be given full authority on all football matters.  Keep Doug around as the VP.  He was right about AP and I think he's a great mentor.  It's sickening to me to know that after the AP deal that BA was making decisions on who to sign, promote (Cobbs), and who gets on the field (Haha vs Montae - who may have stayed out of trouble if actively playing).  I really don't even want BA working with the business dept.  I want him gone! 

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

I'd actually like to see how things would work with Shaeffer, Kyle Smith, and Jay be given full authority on all football matters.  Keep Doug around as the VP.  He was right about AP and I think he's a great mentor.  It's sickening to me to know that after the AP deal that BA was making decisions on who to sign, promote (Cobbs), and who gets on the field (Haha vs Montae - who may have stayed out of trouble if actively playing).  I really don't even want BA working with the business dept.  I want him gone! 

If BA is as good on the business side and getting a stadium as he is at football...

Then we shall fear!

I’ve been a fan since the sixties and I’m finally at the point where I wish Dan would sell the team, the new owners would change the name and gut the whole coaching staff and front office. And I’ve been pretty staunch about not changing the name! It’s exhausting/embarrassing to be a Skins fan. Can’t deal with the crap anymore 

I have hit indifference as I'm assuming Allen won't be fired. That is shocking to me, but I find it hard to care now after living and dying with this team. I have been a big defender of Snyder since he stepped back the last 9ish years, but that's done since he refused to get rid of Allen and have a real GM.

Iv been a die hard fan since the early 80's, pretty much since i could walk, literally. This season has been among the worst in all my years. Im not exaggerating, I don't know what it is but 2018 was pathetic, sad, and disappointing all rolled into one. It pains me to say I'm starting to loathe a organization that iv had so much love for my entire life. 

On 12/30/2018 at 10:06 PM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

All this is overdone. Sucks, yeah,  but we are middle of the road team.... There are plenty of teams that are doing worse than we are and have been bad for a long time. 

that’s not an endorsement of bruce, but the sky isn’t falling. 

From Boswell:

Number of 11-win seasons in last 27 yrs in NFL

0. Wash

1. Cle, Det

2. Ari, Jets, Hou

3. Oak, TB, Cin

4. Buf, Chi, Mia, Sea

5. Bal, Jax, LAR, NYG

6. Atl, Min, Ten

7. Car, LAC, NO

8. Dal, KC, Phi

9. Den

10. SF

11. GB, Ind

13. Pitt

16. NE

2 minutes ago, Coach Janky Spanky said:

From Boswell:

0. Wash

1. Cle, Det

2. Ari, Jets, Hou

3. Oak, TB, Cin

4. Buf, Chi, Mia, Sea

5. Bal, Jax, LAR, NYG

6. Atl, Min, Ten

7. Car, LAC, NO

8. Dal, KC, Phi

9. Den

10. SF

11. GB, Ind

13. Pitt

16. NE

What about winning seasons?

3 minutes ago, Coach Janky Spanky said:

From Boswell:

0. Wash

1. Cle, Det

2. Ari, Jets, Hou

3. Oak, TB, Cin

4. Buf, Chi, Mia, Sea

5. Bal, Jax, LAR, NYG

6. Atl, Min, Ten

7. Car, LAC, NO

8. Dal, KC, Phi

9. Den

10. SF

11. GB, Ind

13. Pitt

16. NE

ouch.

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

What about winning seasons?

I don't know.  Feel free to look it up.

Point is, the NFL is designed for parity.   It's designed so that every 4-5 years a given team gets 9 to 10 wins and squeaks out a division win or a wildcard.  It's hard to avoid that parity and not have a decent team sometimes.  But sustained success, 10 to 11 to 12 win seasons in consecutive years, those are hard to come by and those require  quality management and leadership.  We don't have that.   

The "sky isn't falling."  You're right.   But I don't judge the organization by that standard.  I expect more.   I expect them to do what should be obvious to everyone.  To hire a real GM and hand over the keys to the football operations.   They've never done that under Snyder and what's why we're the top of that list of mediocre.  

Somebody posted Dan's record as owner in the SVP thread. Basically, for the last 20 years, you can count on the Redskins to finish 7-9. We all damned well know that those 20 years haven't involved any any #1 or #2 seedings, so clearly there's not much variation from that record. There's no need to dress it up any different to that. Says it all.

59 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/every-nfl-teams-10-year-record-ranked-32-1-010417%3famp=true

26th by this account, which I think is a more reasonable method. Bottom quarter of the league, but hey, not the worst. I’m sad now.

Yeh...we are one of the worst. Without a doubt. and by far the worst in our division. 

And those that are worse, always have been at the bottom. We haven't. 8-8 for us should feel like 6-10 for them. 

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/every-nfl-teams-10-year-record-ranked-32-1-010417%3famp=true

26th by this account, which I think is a more reasonable method. Bottom quarter of the league, but hey, not the worst. I’m sad now.

Were you under the impression that Snyder has had some success as owner?

All Snyder's successes are incidental.

The '99 team was built before he became owner. He didn't take control until after the draft and free agency.

The two playoff years under Gibbs were the result of, well, having Joe Gibbs and letting Gibbs spend all the money. Regardless, Gibbs finished with a losing record.

The RGIII year was an all-time lightning in a bottle year.

That's it.

That's all the success.

Honestly, I feel like this is the lowest point since the end of Zorn Era, which was the lowest point since the end of the Spurrier Era.

Both of those low points were covered up by immediately hiring a Hall of Fame level coach. I don't fell like Snyder has that card to play this time.

Archived