Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll : Source of Massive Injuries the last 2 years

Malapropismic Depository

2017 and 2018 Season Injuries  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Cause of the roughly 25 players on IR, on each of the last 2 seasons ?

• Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have been preventable. (Elaborate)
    • Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have NOT been preventable (bad luck of the draw, coincidence, etc) Elaborate
    • It's something more sinister (part of a conspiracy, etc) Elaborate
    • Other (Elaborate)

How does this 2 years myth continue to get passed around?  Its been 4 years straight!  I mean this is readily available information on Average Games Lost.

And actually, the year before Jay became head coach, we were 4th in injuries.  His first year which Im NOT including in the 4 years straight we were 24th in average games lost.  So technically 5 years at the bottom of the NFL, starting in Grudens first year.  If you want to believe thats not his fault, Ive got a Glubodbium mine Id love to sell you.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-adjusted-games-lost
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-adjusted-games-lost
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-adjusted-games-lost

https://imgur.com/a/YK9Lm

When I played football, the coach always said,” You play in games like you practice.” I have a feeling that easy practices lead to more injuries. We keep hearing this from several sources and where there is smoke there is fire. 

1. Drafting and re-signing homegrown players with extensive injury histories and relying on them to change. 

2. Signing FA's with extensive injury histories at above average market value and relying on them to change. 

3. Poor conditioning due to soft, laid back practices and training camps. I don't think it's THE biggest factor like Art posted about recently, we build around and rely on too many heavily injured players for that not to out-weigh everything else, but it is certainly a factor and easily comes next for me. 

4. QB's who lead players into massive, awkward hits or awkward unnecessary circus catch attempts. Seriously, this has been a way bigger problem than anyone recognizes in recent years and is compounded by the targets of these passes being the injury-prone fools from my points 1&2 above--Reed, CT, Doctson, Richardson, to a lesser degree Crowder. The last time this wasn't a problem was when most of our significant passes came from young RG3 off of effective PA passes that led to consistent separation--after we lost that huge aspect of the offense, from RG3 2.0 and onwards, ball placement has been a big problem.

I would place the blame on all of these things first before I'd specifically blame the poor Strength and Conditioning staff. A staff who are handed soft, damaged goods "star" players being held together by hopes, dreams, and scotch tape. But they're expected to perform miracles I guess, year after year in a league where you are ALSO bound to be hit by the truly random torn ACL's and broken bones, etc. which they also get blamed for. 

Basically most of our constant injury issues are a direct result of a complete organizational failure in roster building philosophy, not some curse or unlucky streak or even bad S&C practices. We do it to ourselves year after year. And it's compounded by the softness of Club Gruden, which probably mostly exists in the first place BECAUSE of all the fragile players he has to try to manage year round. A true chicken-or-the-egg situation. An ouroboros of bull****. 

@ConnSKINS26 killedit and could stopped with getting players with injury histories like we're getting a steal.  Pretty sure you have to be smart to outsmart yourself, but talk about definition of insanity.  I've never heard team address how they plan to tackle this obvious issue, just use it as an excuse for why they suck...so yes, there is some maliciousness to this as well.

1.  We, whether we want to accept it or not, take players that have been hurt in college.  I have actually read posts on here when someone in one thread will say we get players with an injury history so what do we expect and then contradict themselves in another thread saying well the "injury" was not that bad or it was "another" injury.  It is the propensity.  It is the history.  

2.  Part of me thinks it is the off season and practices that determine the durability of players.  It also increases stamina, and is a great opportunity to really enhance your ability at a position NO matter what level you are at.  Use it or lose it.   Hearing how low key practices are under Jay factors in and I think is related to injury and slow starts during the season.    Now I know coaches try to avoid freak practice accidents but it is risk-reward proposition that I think you have to make

3.  Getting injured is a mental thing too.  Mental preparation is just as important as physical preparation and it goes along with practice and hard work.  Both require discipline, and some positions timing, and cohesiveness between certain groups.

4.  I think proper nutrition is important.  When I heard Trent Williams switched to a vegan diet two years ago I scratched my head.  Not enough Omega 3's in that diet that help build muscle and cause tendon issues, inflammation etc.  Just go on YouTube and look at the people renouncing this diet plan.  It is catastrophic for the body.  

5.  Facilities.  We have one of the worst.  We also have a very bad field which I joke about a lot - the rock and painted dirt field.  We have had a number of injuries on the field.

I don't believe in conspiracy stuff as it relates to the Skins.  But I do believe tendencies run down entire organizations and businesses.  It is a loser, thin-skinned FO with Dan and Bruce leading the way.  What do you expect?  Failure leaves as many clues as success.  It permeates entire businesses, and organizations.  Why should this organization be an exception.  

If you anticipate "soft easy practices", NO preseason Real Hitting and guaranteed positions not based on merit (see the Special Teams Comment Above) then human nature dictates you don't prepare in the off-season aggressively and come into camp soft. THEN you have a coach who accepts that. Just look at the players commented on how AP prepared and practiced ..they didn't understand the need to work that hard...#36 verified this and got fired

The comment on play calling is spot on..just look at the Alex Injury play..too many STUPID and Risky plays when you consider the talent "Available on the field". Empty backfield on 3rd and 9 with all pro DE's against a scrub OL and you give the back an OPTION to NOT STAY IN and block or go to the flat...THAT still BURNS MY ***

Gruden owns this

45 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

The comment on play calling is spot on..just look at the Alex Injury play..too many STUPID and Risky plays when you consider the talent "Available on the field". Empty backfield on 3rd and 9 with all pro DE's against a scrub OL and you give the back an OPTION to NOT STAY IN and block or go to the flat...THAT still BURNS MY ***

Gruden owns this

Something tells me the 14 year vet Alex Smith isn’t sitting around thinking the playcall is the reason he broke his leg.

Hate on Gruden all you please, but that argument only makes you further look like a loon.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Something tells me the 14 year vet Alex Smith isn’t sitting around thinking the playcall is the reason he broke his leg.

Hate on Gruden all you please, but that argument only makes you further look like a loon.

You are in the minority on this thread...so STUFF the loon talk OK

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Alex Smiths injury was accidental, fluke, what ever you want to call it, nobody was responsible.

There are many contributing factors to why the list of injuries is so high.

I've made comments here and there about this, but there are some obvious things that make you scratch your head.

1. S&C staff: ok, simply look at this. Jake Sankal. Before coming to the Redskins, he worked with the Cleveland Indians. That is baseball. In baseball, you want players who are more leaner, more flexible, muscle mass and bulk is not what is wanted, because it slows players down. In football, players sweat like crazy, losing body fluids. If a player has less mass, his body cannot hold as much fluid. You need players with strength for a number of reasons and positions. This would mainly be directed towards the linemen on both sides of the ball, but in conditioning all players need the ability to retain fluids to prevent cramping and need muscle for blocking, tackling, etc.

Sankal is a dietician. His other employers were the Mahoning Valley Scrappers, Kinston Indians,  Carolina Mudcats, and my personal favorite, the Akron Rubberducks.

Seriously??

There are a few other people in S&C who should be let go, but I wanted to bring this to attention. Its all on the Redskins website, have a look for yourself, and ask yourself if the quality of personnel there is qualified enough. IMO, no.

I know a lot of people in here would like to dismiss the comments DJ Swearinger has been saying, but the intensity of Gruden's practices may be an issue.  DJ and other players have talked about the laid back practices for the last two years now.  It seems like Gruden adopted a strategy to tone down practice to prevent injury, but this may be the main cause.  Think about this, it's harder for the body to adjust physically and mentally to real live game action if your practicing soft.

Archived