Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll : Source of Massive Injuries the last 2 years

Malapropismic Depository

2017 and 2018 Season Injuries  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Cause of the roughly 25 players on IR, on each of the last 2 seasons ?

• Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have been preventable. (Elaborate)
    • Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have NOT been preventable (bad luck of the draw, coincidence, etc) Elaborate
    • It's something more sinister (part of a conspiracy, etc) Elaborate
    • Other (Elaborate)

I do think that endurance plays a part. If you are tired you are more likely to get hurt. Gruden ran soft camps. It wouldn't surprise me if many of the players were out of shape. Sure, they were strong and lifted, but they were probably very light on cardio conditioning.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I do think that endurance plays a part. If you are tired you are more likely to get hurt. Gruden ran soft camps. It wouldn't surprise me if many of the players were out of shape. Sure, they were strong and lifted, but they were probably very light on cardio conditioning.

Soft camp, soft leadership, soft players. This year it seemed like everyone was busting their asses on their own to get into the best shape possible and everyone is really excited to be a part of the team. 

I think one of the biggest changes is these coaches are doing a better job of teaching the players how to protect themselves. 

One of the first things they teach you when you start snowboarding is to make fists when you fall so that you don't break your fingers.

It seems like an event where when falling uncontrollably and accidentally you'd just go down in whatever manner happens organically and hope for the best but they teach you to protect yourself. 

I think nfl players are taught using the same principles and our new coaching staff is doing a much better job at emphasizing and teaching the players how to get tackled and hit and rolled up on while reducing the likelihood of a major injury.

@redskinns That's interesting and kind of counter intuitive. Usually, when you fall, your fingers splay to give yourself the widest possible position by which to catch yourself with. To ball up your fists sounds like something that you would not only have to learn, but would have to drill for it to happen in the instant. 

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

@redskinns That's interesting and kind of counter intuitive. Usually, when you fall, your fingers splay to give yourself the widest possible position by which to catch yourself with. To ball up your fists sounds like something that you would not only have to learn, but would have to drill for it to happen in the instant. 

It is tricky to train your brain to do because you're right, you naturally want to fan your fingers out and that leads to broken fingers, making fists helps prevent that, you can still break or sprain your wrists but, hey its a dangerous hobby.

And making fists is just one of the tricks to falling on a snowboard.

I think that's why it's a decent analogy because players probably have all sorts of instinctual tendencies that if changed can prevent or at least lessen injuries and my guess is thats one of the things that the new coaches are working on.

On 9/13/2020 at 9:31 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think it's mostly we don't have or expect production from the same group of 10 starters who got injured every year. 

Shrug. 

I get what you're saying, but truthfully during those injury plagued years, we were getting A LOT more guys go down, than the Reeds and Doctsons you're referring to.

Even the 2nd and 3rd string replacements for the starters were going down.

25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I get what you're saying, but truthfully during those injury plagued years, we were getting A LOT more guys go down, than the Reeds and Doctsons you're referring to.

Even the 2nd and 3rd string replacements for the starters were going down.

The way I see it, we had the repeat injuries + the normal “new” injuries.

I also think we took a lot of chances on players with injury history, guys who fell in the draft because they had injury concerns, then they got hurt again in the NFL.  

I think this is the most obvious thing.  The other contributing factors were a poor training staff and wussy preparation.  It’s probably a combination of those things + bad luck.  

But counting on the same guys who always got injured was a big factor also.

Archived