Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll : Source of Massive Injuries the last 2 years

Malapropismic Depository

2017 and 2018 Season Injuries  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Cause of the roughly 25 players on IR, on each of the last 2 seasons ?

• Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have been preventable. (Elaborate)
    • Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have NOT been preventable (bad luck of the draw, coincidence, etc) Elaborate
    • It's something more sinister (part of a conspiracy, etc) Elaborate
    • Other (Elaborate)

The reason.

April -  "We stole that guy in the 4th round.  He was a 1st round talent before the injury that ended his college career."

October - "****, this guy is injured again?  Fire the coaching staff that wins 7 or more games with dudes off the street cause they're doing something wrong.  What a wasted draft pick."

January - "This guy is going to be a gem in the 4th round cause he got injured.  But if we can shelf him for a year and let him develop he'll be amazing in 2020."

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The offseason hasn't even begun, and we've already been crushed by the 2019 Injury Report of having one of our best players, at the most important position, out for the whole year.

Has anyone said FOR SURE at this moment that he’ll be out for the whole year? I mean My guess is he will be out the whole year, but it hasn’t been confirmed YET has it?

On 1/22/2019 at 3:10 PM, DC9 said:

The reason.

April -  "We stole that guy in the 4th round.  He was a 1st round talent before the injury that ended his college career."

October - "****, this guy is injured again?  Fire the coaching staff that wins 7 or more games with dudes off the street cause they're doing something wrong.  What a wasted draft pick."

January - "This guy is going to be a gem in the 4th round cause he got injured.  But if we can shelf him for a year and let him develop he'll be amazing in 2020."

it's true, but then other teams manage to do stuff like that

On 1/24/2019 at 10:04 AM, carex said:

it's true, but then other teams manage to do stuff like that

On 1/24/2019 at 11:30 AM, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Jaylon Smith prime example. If we drafted him both legs would have fallen off. 

It would be irresponsible for me to say I have data to support it, cause I don't... but we at least have the appearance of drafting for need with those guys.  Dallas has moved around a lot at ILB and tried different dealing with Sean Lee.

Going back to Vinny, most specifically and damagingly with dudes like Chris Samuel and Clinton Portis - is we NEVER drafted dudes to back them up or replace them (miss me with Stephon Heyer).  We still don't really do that.  BPA.  It's worked in Baltimore and Philly for 20 years for a reason.  We kept Samuel til what, 4 triceps surgeries?  CP basically collapsed on the field in Atlanta.  

8 minutes ago, DC9 said:

It would be irresponsible for me to say I have data to support it, cause I don't... but we at least have the appearance of drafting for need with those guys.  Dallas has moved around a lot at ILB and tried different dealing with Sean Lee.

Going back to Vinny, most specifically and damagingly with dudes like Chris Samuel and Clinton Portis - is we NEVER drafted dudes to back them up or replace them (miss me with Stephon Heyer).  We still don't really do that.  BPA.  It's worked in Baltimore and Philly for 20 years for a reason.  We kept Samuel til what, 4 triceps surgeries?  CP basically collapsed on the field in Atlanta.  

Ladell Betts had a career average of over 4 yds a carry and was a decent pass catcher, but during the Vinny era the Skins frequently undervalued the draft trading picks for players or (I think) bundling them to move up.  One year they only had three picks

On 1/29/2019 at 3:58 PM, carex said:

Ladell Betts had a career average of over 4 yds a carry and was a decent pass catcher, but during the Vinny era the Skins frequently undervalued the draft trading picks for players or (I think) bundling them to move up.  One year they only had three picks

I'm talking about in like 2008/2009 we should've been drafting his replacement.  That's like over 1000 carries as a Redskin, I think.  

Betts was drafted in 2002...

We drafted Trent like four seasons after Samuels started missing time.

I understand your point about packaging dudes and picks.  I'm more talking about how we (ESPECIALLY here) value the player over the shirt.  I think the last 5 or 6 years and the deep factions in this fan base won't argue with that point.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding to what Warhead mentioned about depth, I think a big part of the injury problem is how the team was built.  For the first 15 or so years of the Snyder era, the team did not draft lineman in the early rounds.  Finally, by fortifying the DL this past year with Payne and Settle, our DL was good, young, and deep.  Linebackers didn't have to take on guards and tackles.  Our leading tackler wasn't a safety.  Voila!  Our defense was actually pretty healthy last year.  Yeah, there was still flukey stuff like Dunbar's nerve issue, but that's football.

Conversely, our OL wasn't addressed.  LG was only filled by Lauvao late in free agency.  There is a reason he was available cheap.  The turning point of our season was the Atlanta game (NOT Houston) when Lauvao and Sherff went down.  That's when the dominoes started falling.

Cooley addressed all of this in a podcast.  I think the Skins will fix the interior OL this offseason and the injuries will drop off on that side of the ball as well.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a malicious attempt to generate built-in cop-outs for each season and save money.  Buy intentionally acquiring players with injury history, you can use lower picks on talented players with injury histories, bring up their injury history in contract negotiations, then blame a failed season on the number of injuries instead of a litany of other reasons, like poor coaching and roster construction.  They've used the same pre-made "injury excuse" script two years in a row now, its no longer a coincidence.

• 3 weeks later...

When an organization has a critical and obvious deficiency, there's two things that need to happen.

1.  The current system must be dissected and a new plan (change) installed.  Doing the same thing you've always done will get the same results.

2.  In evaluating systems, the evaluators must be from outside the current system.  Here is where consultants are valuable.

The Redskins have 2 of the best consultants to evaluate the current failed system.  Adrian Peterson and Trent Williams, are the experts that could evaluate the current system, identify the deficiencies, and pinpoint the core dysfunctions to change the organizational negligence that has resulted in the Massive Injuries at Redskins Park. 

Not only is AP clearly the example of how to recover from a major injury and in record time, return to being even better than he was before that injury.  TW has established himself as arguably the best and most dependable LT in the NFL.  OT's in the NFL miss on avg. 1.65 games per year.  TW has missed on avg. 2 games per year in the last 8 yrs. (without diving too deep into meaningless games where he didn't play and 4 game suspension in 2017).  Additionally, these two All Pros opened and operate a training facility in Texas.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/NFL-Adrian-Peterson-Trent-Williams-Houston-gym-8400512.php

If the Skins were serious about eliminating the massive injury issue, they don't need to look any further then what they have in these two Pros to seriously solve the problem.

Athletik_1.jpg

athletik_2.jpg

athletik_3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Cooley at the park podcast with Jonathan Allen addressed the issues with the Redskins injury issues.  It's at the beginning of the podcast and Cooley nails it.  He's 110% on the money.  The answer is that the training program and staff are a skeleton crew of what they need to be affective.  They need to hire about 20 people, as there's only 6 people on that staff....6 !,,,,wtf?! 

I think it's a combination of relying on too many players with injury histories, a lack of depth obviously, and just bad luck.  Sure the reports of a skeleton training staff is more than a little concerning we are not seeing a team wide epidemic of pulled muscles.  Knees or torn pecs are just part of the game, we have been pretty lucky with a lack of injuries along the OL,with Trent being the exception,  over the past few seasons, it kind of caught up with them eventually.  

15 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Cooley at the park podcast with Jonathan Allen addressed the issues with the Redskins injury issues.  It's at the beginning of the podcast and Cooley nails it.  He's 110% on the money.  The answer is that the training program and staff are a skeleton crew of what they need to be affective.  They need to hire about 20 people, as there's only 6 people on that staff....6 !,,,,wtf?! 

Not to mention the 'quality' of the ones on staff.

I won't go into it, I've done it quite a few times already, but I still can't get over the one guy who came here from the Tuskaloosa Rubberducks or whatever rock he crawled out from.  That's a whole new level of desperation...

18 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Not to mention the 'quality' of the ones on staff.

I won't go into it, I've done it quite a few times already, but I still can't get over the one guy who came here from the Tuskaloosa Rubberducks or whatever rock he crawled out from.  That's a whole new level of desperation...

Seriously, everyone knows the best way to recruit staff is not from Tuscaloosa, AL, but rather from the grooming hotbed of talent Tampa, FL

This team has suffered far too many injuries over the last " X " amount of years.

If the trend continues this season, there should be an all-out public humiliation of this organization. With the money and revenue sharing this team receives, the players should have better training facilities and equipment and better qualified; no, ACTUAL qualified people to stop this horribly bad streak.

Since the team already has a 'baseball' guy in the training room, maybe Brucie can hire someone from hockey, basketball, or underwater basket weaving...

First post.  I believe that the majority of the injuries have not been preventable.  However, I also believe that a significant minority of the injuries have been preventable. Our home turf is one issue.  Another would be drafting/signing guys with injury histories (that is "preventable").   Another is the generally lax attitude that has permeated Redskins park under Gruden. I think that bleeds into the offseason and affects player preparation.  

• 3 weeks later...

Redskins hire outside consultants to examine injury protocol

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-hire-outside-consultants-to-examine-injury-protocol

"One thing I will tell you, though," Phillips said Monday. "Bruce Allen and the Redskins were so concerned about this, they hired outside consultants to come into the building this offseason and examine everything about the way the Redskins handle injuries. Top, down. Top to bottom.

On 3/21/2019 at 5:36 AM, TheShredder said:

When an organization has a critical and obvious deficiency, there's two things that need to happen.

1.  The current system must be dissected and a new plan (change) installed.  Doing the same thing you've always done will get the same results.

2.  In evaluating systems, the evaluators must be from outside the current system.  Here is where consultants are valuable.

Called it.  Bam! 

On 1/22/2019 at 12:10 PM, DC9 said:

The reason.

😂 on point

Redskins hire outside consultants to examine injury 

I wonder if this will be as successful as when the Redskins brought in "outside consultants" to fix the fan experience at Fed Ex Field?

I think those guys lasted 7 months. Maybe we should start a pool or a poll to see how long these new consultants last? :)

3 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I wonder if this will be as successful as when the Redskins brought in "outside consultants" to fix the fan experience at Fed Ex Field?

I think those guys lasted 7 months. Maybe we should start a pool or a poll to see how long these new consultants last? :)

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I think the problem is multifold: Hiring/drafting players with an injury history. Lax practices which lead to low endurance, substandard training staff (and possibly equipment), shoddy field, etc.

In other words, I think everyone and everything has a share in our injury woes.

Archived