Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll : Source of Massive Injuries the last 2 years

Malapropismic Depository

2017 and 2018 Season Injuries  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Cause of the roughly 25 players on IR, on each of the last 2 seasons ?

• Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have been preventable. (Elaborate)
    • Over the last 2 years, the majority of our injuries have NOT been preventable (bad luck of the draw, coincidence, etc) Elaborate
    • It's something more sinister (part of a conspiracy, etc) Elaborate
    • Other (Elaborate)

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's a calculated and conscious gamble.

Low risk, high reward.

It seems like people were on the verge of calling it a genius move, until the injury happened.

But as cap-strapped as we were this pas offseason, did we really have any choice, other than to pursue damaged goods ?

IIRC Foster had his fair share of injuries. All things equal, if we are going to acquire players the day after they get charged with criminal acts, I would rather target the proven physically players. Why risk the PR image of the team for a guy that has injury concerns.  He was not THAT low of a risk acquisition. 

There is the PR side, there was distraction for the team, as Jay was the public defender punching bag pushed out to the media on day 1. Doug was sent out day 2, and had to apologize to the media on day 3.  Bama alum were pushed into the fray as having been reported as signing off on the move, which they all seemed to categorically deny. I bet they didn't like that - the first 3 days were a disaster. The chance of a repeat offender thing was there, as 24 year old men don't always mature overnight. Injury concerns.... all overlooked as we neglected ILB on draft day hoping all was well again.  Maybe Holcomb can steal the job but think he is relegated to teams to start.

Counting on him to solve our inside woes was a risk, and it failed. Now we are left with 2 guys that we don't even know which position they will play.

I just don't ****ing get it..k so foster had injuries in the past, so what?...I don't get how an injury happens like that and not just to foster but other players as well...these folks are athletes and there out on the field to practice or whatever and these injuries happen..bam out of no where...mean while my uneducated ass delivers milk two days a week that takes alot of manual labor pushing a full cart of glass bottled milk into the store...a cart with 80 bottles ways just under 800 lbs..I do alot of twisting and bending and walking pushing my cart around..the other days of the week I take care of kids and things around the house..I'm strong and beefy..but also plenty of fat..I've done masonry for several years...I labored for a concrete company and have never ever ever gone through what foster went through..how n the **** do these kind of injuries happen to these athletes especially with the way they train, the money they spend, the time effort..I just don't get it..

11 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I just don't ****ing get it..

Neither do I, we just share theories.

Some guys are more durable, and some are less. Targeting the more durable players sure seems like one of the first things a team can do to minimize the need for a sideline MASH unit.  No team can control freak injuries, bad luck etc. What's left that we may be doing wrong? Players are overworked or are not healing properly, or my latest theory, maybe not worked enough. If Jay takes it easier on them in practice all year than other coaches do, yet we lead the league in injuries... maybe the use it or lose it theory comes into play at times.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Neither do I, we just share theories.

Players are overworked or are not healing properly, or my latest theory, maybe not worked enough. If Jay takes it easier on them in practice all year than other coaches do, yet we lead the league in injuries... maybe the use it or lose it theory comes into play at times.

I think there's a whole lot of variability between individuals, but then there's also a balance point for each athlete between overuse/underuse, overtrain/undertrain.  There's no way to see where that point is until an athlete is in the later stages of his career.  Football is the ultimate team oriented sport, so doesn't lend itself to individualized practice and training protocols.  The tendency is to treat everyone the same unless there's a known injury history, or some sort of general line that can be drawn (i.e. the fat guys get to run less, the guys over 30 get to sit out the Tuesday afternoon practices during camp).  

Not specific to us, but would be curious to know if the leagues smallest players, and largest players, are the most oft injured.  To really drill down, we need to look at "advanced" stats, specifically injuries / snap counts.  Yes a lot of guys get hurt in non contact drills, but then that is something I want to see numbers on as well.

Game day vs practice injuries. Track injured guys weights, contact vs non contact, turf vs sod (whats that), location of injury, are previous injuries a fair predictor of future... if all our OL get injured within 2 yards of the ball pre snap, I want to know dammit so Jay can go spread more often and help out his injury prone OL.

It's still remarkable to me, that it took until the year 2018 to get advanced stats becoming mainstream for football. The other sports have been killing it, meanwhile we were all oogling over QBR for decades, and wondering why the poor QB's numbers still get crushed by an INT that was no fault of his own.

Yards per attempt?  Yeah.. don't look at the bottom of the list. You'll want Haskins fast.

giphy.gif

Perhaps some players show up to camp, injured. And it's just a matter of time before they tap out.  Josh Doctson comes to mind. I theorize Guice never got his hyperextended knee injured in college fully sorted out.  Who can say for sure, and my post is purely speculative.   I think many players are forced to mask injuries.  It would hurt their draft position, or maybe even their next contract. It may even cost them their job, as they try to stave off their backup.

A guy feverishly working out during the offseason, posting videos as a testament to his perfect health, is one thing - maybe working out fully at Redskins Park for all to see.  He gets injured taking his first step in OTAs - welp **** happens. OOTH, a player that no one saw working out during the offseason, or maybe even still ailing from the previous season, gets injured early in camp. 

Does that happen? 

I imagine it does, just like some regular folks milk fake workers comp claims. Maybe it's not always solely "bad luck".

There may be one floating around somewhere but I haven't seen it yet, so...

I took the short bus when it comes to gifs and how to post them, so maybe someone else will create it.

The Redskins on a box of Rice Crispies cereal.  Its fitting because whether on the practice field or the football field, its always 'Snap Crackle and Pop.

They damn sure don't belong on a box of Wheaties...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Does it seem like the injuries have reduced, since Gruden left ?

Are they reduced or does it just appear that way since we don't have to listen to Gruden's 15 min. injury recap at the beginning of every freaking press conference?  j/k.  You could be rt, but we need to see a larger sample size.

Gotta say, I am still uncertain of the root of our injury troubles, though obviously retaining guys with injury histories is a big factor.  I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our usual suspects - Reed and Thompson (and Foster, with his injury history)) - are on IR or missed a lot of time, older players were hurt - Davis and now Kerrigan - and our backs coming off major injury - Guice and Love - were PUPed/whatever Love’s status is.  

I do find it ironic our healthiest year is looking like our worst, record-wise.  

Here’s hoping the Camp Jay thing was actually a factor, ‘cause it’d be nice to put that behind us.  

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Gotta say, I am still uncertain of the root of our injury troubles, though obviously retaining guys with injury histories is a big factor.  I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our usual suspects - Reed and Thompson (and Foster, with his injury history)) - are on IR or missed a lot of time, older players were hurt - Davis and now Kerrigan - and our backs coming off major injury - Guice and Love - were PUPed/whatever Love’s status is.  

I do find it ironic our healthiest year is looking like our worst, record-wise.  

Here’s hoping the Camp Jay thing was actually a factor, ‘cause it’d be nice to put that behind us.  

Kerrigan hadn't missed a game his entire career but he's 30 and on the downside so he's due some injuries.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Kerrigan hadn't missed a game his entire career but he's 30 and on the downside so he's due some injuries.

Yep, I put him with Davis as our older guys that have (now) missed time, but he’s been an ironman and as per the quote below - concussions aren’t exactly preventable (or age related).  

1 hour ago, Bunny Kelly said:

Reed, Davis & Kerrigan all concussion, really isn't preventable

True, but it was fairly likely 1) Reed would suffer another and 2) he’d probably miss significant time when he did.  

• 4 months later...

Bumping this, because the answer is now clear.

Look at the difference a new staff makes, on the health of our roster.

Came out of camp almost completely unscathed.

The 1st game, Eagles were falling like flies, while we again came out healthy.

I don't think it's coincidence.

I think we're on the road to changing our training, medical, health, and injury habits, among other things.

13 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think we're on the road to changing our training, medical, health, and injury habits, among other things.

I think it's mostly we don't have or expect production from the same group of 10 starters who got injured every year. 

Shrug. 

On 12/28/2018 at 11:10 PM, Veretax said:

I don't know how you'd prove it, but conditioning is part, and I think Play Calling is also a apart.  People getitng hurt because they are put in poor positions on the field Is what I wonder.  I dunno how you prove it.

You are so damn right.

25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think we’re going to need more than one game to be able to know if the answer is clear. Guys could start dropping like flies week 3, 4, 5, maybe even next week. One game into the new coaching staff won’t give us the answer right away. 

I don't think our conditioning was in top form, but we hung in there, which matters.   We did have a few injuries but most of them were particular personnel (IE like Foster)  .

This squad may have a platoon of Receiving backs, but am I the only one worried that some of these guys are not much better than CT was? 

Archived