Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Actual Status

Atlantaskinsfan18

The season went downhill during the Atlanta game, that's when we lost Scherff and Lauvao and Trent was already out.

The huge falloff from those three O-line starters being out killed what run game we had and forced Alex to pass more in the Texans game once we were down 17-7 late in the 3rd Qtr.

I didn't see anything all year from the QB or WR's that made me believe we could sustain with no run game.

15 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Yeah man he was stellar on stopping the run those first 9 games and blocking to help the rushing offense.

That is exactly the truth. AND the D was getting stops overall early on in the season. Low scoring games.   But we went countless quarters without a passing TD from Alex.  He never got in sync with our receivers or TE's. 

Plus we got lucky in some of those games.  a real rarity as a Skin's fan.  Things went our way.

I wish Alex well and hope for a full recovery on his behalf, but he was was not effectively passing the ball.   He seemed very skittish to me.  When he faced the stout  Texan D line,  he was pushing more, had an INT, almost 2.    

You know I think D's do win championships - look at what the Bear's did last night to the stout Ram O BUT your offense has to score some points.  They have to get it into the EZ.  

The Bears D is the star of the show right now but they also have a talented rookie QB on a cheap contract, signed him a WR1 in FA, signed another deep threat WR in FA, signed a receiving TE in FA, and drafted a possession WR2/slot type in the 2nd round. To go along with years of building an OL so that two 5th round picks at RB with complementary skill-sets can either make explosive plays or salt away the clock as needed. The Bears D is elite but it's not carrying some poorly built offense or something. 

The key to winning in today's NFL is an offensive-minded HC (aka an elite playcaller who can't be hired away) paired with a franchise QB (preferably on a rookie contract),  some playmakers, and a defense that can be variable in terms of how good it is, a sliding scale established by how good or bad the offense is. You pass to take the lead and run the ball to keep it and grind away the clock and opposing defenses. 

Even the Rams follow this. They have Gurley and they still pass to take the lead and run to keep it. Their pass-heaviness can bite them at times but it also leads to Gurley facing the most 6-7 man boxes in the NFL. 

Alex Smith was so brand new to the team that at best/worst he deserves an "Incomplete" rating.   3 more QB's in and the skill position players still aren't really doing much outside of one impressive catch a game, but none of them have suddenly become monsters with a different QB under center.  The Cavalry isn't coming with this group of players on offense.  They might look somewhat better or worse depending on the QB, but they aren't elite players just waiting to be unleashed. Forget about that.

I just have a horrible feeling that our front office will hold on to Smith way longer than necessary to try and save face and sell his comeback to the fanbase instead of proactively looking for his replacement.  Or they'll throw a pity party and try to make him look like the bad guy for keeping them on the hook for his contract.

I want Alex to recover but from a selfish football standpoint, his time on the field in Washington should be over.  Not interested in watching a 36 year old trying to rehab a brutal injury being the focal point for an already molasses slow offense.

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

I just have a horrible feeling that our front office will hold on to Smith way longer than necessary to try and save face and sell his comeback to the fanbase

I honestly have no idea how this would inspire anyone, but I'm sure this is exactly what they are going to do.  And people will fall for it because we were "6-3 with Alex".

1 hour ago, Reaper Skins said:

I just have a horrible feeling that our front office will hold on to Smith way longer than necessary to try and save face and sell his comeback to the fanbase instead of proactively looking for his replacement.  Or they'll throw a pity party and try to make him look like the bad guy for keeping them on the hook for his contract.

I want Alex to recover but from a selfish football standpoint, his time on the field in Washington should be over.  Not interested in watching a 36 year old trying to rehab a brutal injury being the focal point for an already molasses slow offense.

It depends on who the FO is. If Bruce is somehow still here, I completely agree. They will not move on from Alex unless they have to. If it's a new crew and they actually know what they are doing, they will cut bait and look for a franchise guy. 

I highlighted it in the clean house thread, but I would not look for a long term solution at QB next year. Work on the lines and other parts of the team. Get rid of some top heavy contracts and take the CAP hit and get it over with. Consider next year a throw away year.

Then get your QB in 2020. Not saying I would not take a flyer on a late rd guy who I like. But the plan would be for them to ultimately hold a clip board. 

2 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

I actually think Smith will want out of town as soon as possible. He'll take the rehab' available, sort out a contract payout and get the hell out of here. The last month of his life will have put a few things into perspective. 

5 minutes ago, TheYappingDog said:

Am I the only one who finds talk of cap implications slightly distasteful when a young man is lying in a hospital bed with the prospect that he may lose a leg?

Its a line. We do have to think about the impact but right now we definitely need to give him every good vibe. He gave everything to this team in his short time here.  The struggles were not simply just him. He actually sometimes hid our weaknesses with some fantastic plays he made.  

8 minutes ago, TheYappingDog said:

Am I the only one who finds talk of cap implications slightly distasteful when a young man is lying in a hospital bed with the prospect that he may lose a leg?

I see your point, but in most sports fans rarely care about the players. You only see them for roughly 1/2 of 60 minutes a week. 

The cap talk is more directed at the contract that Allen signed then a criticism of the player. 

He's a seasoned veteran who's had a great career. He went from first overall pick to bust to solid starting QB. No injury can take that away. 

2 minutes ago, Unbias said:

I see your point, but in most sports fans rarely care about the players. You only see them for roughly 1/2 of 60 minutes a week. 

The cap talk is more directed at the contract that Allen signed then a criticism of the player. 

He's a seasoned veteran who's had a great career. He went from first overall pick to bust to solid starting QB. No injury can take that away. 

We may not care about the player, but I care about the man

For the record I thought he was the wrong qb for us

I just wish him well in this particular fight.

If Alex can play next year, we got to stick with him, cap reasons. Plus if this year was a bust season, maybe next year is the boom season...

i hope itnisnt isn’t career ending because he is an OK place holder QB and his cap makes it hard to look elsewhere. Could try to get lucky in the draft, but I’d rather get other skill positions this year and see what we can do on the qb front the following year...

7 hours ago, TheYappingDog said:

Its not distasteful. Nobody is wishing Alex Smith ill will but we do have to discuss how the franchise deals with the position moving forward.

Everyone has given Alex their sincere well wishes. Everyone is concerned about his future, and hoping for the best.

That doesn't mean we can't discuss the nature of his contract or our future at the position, etc. We are fans, and we care enough to post here about this ****show football team--obviously the practical football fallout of this injury matters to us. No reason we can't discuss it respectfully. I don't find it crass at all, it's why we're here. 

6 hours ago, TheYappingDog said:

We may not care about the player, but I care about the man

For the record I thought he was the wrong qb for us

I just wish him well in this particular fight.

To be clear I don't think anyone is wishing ill will against Smith for his contract. As fans we realize the contract was somewhat of a lemon and if he's not going to play again we are looking for the most cap friendly way to make that happen. 

For the past 19 season we have a grand total of one playoff win to celebrate, where are team was able to win by one score over a Chris Simms lead Tampa Bay Bucs team...

We've been conditioned to be constantly building for next season, so when someone gets hurt or if they are under-performing we have to look at their cap space as an option to get better. 

We are not bad people. We have just lived through bad times...

7 hours ago, TheYappingDog said:

By all accounts smith is a great person and I haven’t heard anyone wish him anything but the best. There isn’t much to discuss there

That said there is an issue with quarterback on this team short and long term. That can be discussed. 

Archived