Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Actual Status

Atlantaskinsfan18

4 hours ago, Tsailand said:

2018 was the final year of his contract.  I think we learned our lesson already about not making QBs play on contract years.

The problem with the Alex Smith contract is simply that Bruce paid too much and made too much of it guaranteed, relative to the value of Alex Smith as QB.

You can point towards other QBs who got more guaranteed money, but they are a lot better than Alex Smith, and they didn't require giving up a pick and a player just to bring in.

We wanted stability at QB.  Of course the 2017 season hadn't even ended yet, when we basically inked the contract / trade. 

Rushing to extended him and making too much guaranteed is indeed, an issue.  I wonder if the trade was dependent on the extension, basically Reid acting as his agent and telling us no trade, unless you extend him. Bruce already having bought in on Alex, was hooked after looking at those stats that one year. Andy rewarding Alex for being a good soldier, and looting us at the same time. Because he knew he could.

Hindsight. Just get Alex for 2018, and draft his replacement. Risk Alex walking, but at least we would have a kid in camp. While in camp it would allow Jay time to judge if he wanted/needed Alex for another year. I suspect Alex would have settled for a 1 year 28M all guaranteed type deal. Jay had to know our offense wouldn't be as prolific as KCs and his next pay day would be less. and let Bruce know to leave some cap room for others for what will likely be through the end of Jay's tenure. Yes we basically tied Jay's fate to Alex.  By extending him when we did, we paid for the outlier season en masse. and now Jay is strapped by that cap hit, AND had no kid to groom and test now that our season is over.

Silent poll - as horrible as it sounds is it best for us for Alex to retire.  Before we vote yes - point counter point, Bruce will be the one drafting our next QB.

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

Wait, the 12 million cap relief is only for a non-football related injury? 

Damn.

That is what I heard. And it makes sense, actually. Why would a contract that guaranteed "X" amount of dollars, all of a sudden not count against the cap when the guy gets really hurt playing? I could see it if the player was doing something very dangerous off the field and got seriously injured, because you could say he was putting himself at risk outside the confines of his job, and was irresponsible. Worse than not working out in the off season and eating 10,000 calories a day and coming in grossly over weight and out of shape. Not keeping his end of the bargain. But that is certainly not the case here.

I'm not 100% certain however. I'm not a cap expert, nor do I have actual access to Alex's contract. However,  the whole premise of getting cap relief because a guy got hurt playing football and the insurance will cover the difference makes absolutely no logical sense at all.

21 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Silent poll - as horrible as it sounds is it best for us for Alex to retire.  Before we vote yes - point counter point, Bruce will be the one drafting our next QB.

Given the current news, it’s entirely possible Alex’s life is endanger, or possibly his leg.

I had a friend from HS get an infection in her leg after a similar surgery.  She has something like 14 more surgeries because of the infection.  It actually ended up taking her life.

She was also in her early 30s and I. Good physical shape. The original injury was due to a diving incident.

From a Redskins perspective, they have to assume Alex isn’t coming back, regardless of what they would prefer and any salary cap implications.

I’m hoping he just lives with both of his legs intact. 

This is as serious as it gets.

21 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I'm not 100% certain however. I'm not a cap expert, nor do I have actual access to Alex's contract. However,  the whole premise of getting cap relief because a guy got hurt playing football and they insurance will cover the difference makes absolutely no logical sense at all.

Yeah, that's what I have been thinking as well.

Who knows?

Doesn't make a huge difference either way. For the Skins, it's a disaster, like pretty much everything has been since Dan purchased the team and especially since he hired Bruce "brushes his teeth with Coors light" Allen. For Alex Smith.. I just hope he recovers to the point where he can walk without pain at some point in his life. Such a class act.

5 hours ago, Hooper said:

Barring Alex retiring and walking away from a ton of money, we are not getting cap relief. There is no insurance policy that will help with the cap. Simple and sad.

Yeah Bruce and Co. made their bed when they signed Smith to that huge contract and now have to lie in it no matter what.   You're not getting any younger trading for a 34 year old QB.  They should've protected themselves by putting in some stipulations regarding injury before the contract was signed.

2 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Yeah Bruce and Co. made their bed when they signed Smith to that huge contract and now have to lie in it no matter what.   You're not getting any younger trading for a 34 year old QB.  They should've protected themselves by putting in some stipulations regarding injury before the contract was signed.

Obviously I'm no fan of Bruce, but the career-ending injury thing is rare nowadays. Some guys get hurt and walk away or just get old and terrible. But to not actually be physically able to play like it's trending for Smith right now, it just doesn't happen.

So of course it happened to the Skins.

Draft 2 QBs... but not in the 1st 2 rounds.

Get mid range guys... Throw 1 in right away to the wolves and develop the one who stands out more at camp. We’re screwed the next season or so anyway.

2 seasons later either start the one you developed or gamble and go with whoever is the best available option in that years draft.

I suggest Brett Rypien as one for next year. He’s pretty much Rex Grossman in that he can wow you and enrage you in the same quarter.

Yes, I’ve been drinking.

ask him not to retire and PUP him, he won't cost anymore than he would normally and if we draft a QB he'd be affordable his first years

Also, what would people say to the claim that the leg break was a football injury but the infection, not

1 hour ago, carex said:

ask him not to retire and PUP him, he won't cost anymore than he would normally and if we draft a QB he'd be affordable his first years

Also, what would people say to the claim that the leg break was a football injury but the infection, not

Pretty flimsy. Like saying concussions are football injuries and CTE isn't, but with an even more obvious cause-and-effect. Doesn't really work when it's related

5 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I don't know. Starting around the 7:30 mark, Corry is talking about one time where the Packers got a $350,000 cap credit because Rodgers missed several games. He then discusses Alex's contract, when he states that there is a 12 million dollar insurance policy of the signing bonus due to a NON FOOTBALL RELATED INJURY. This was obviously a football injury. I'm not sure it's going to do anything.

You left out a crucial part, here is the entire quote.

Danny "We're hearing they can recoup some of that cap space via insurance, is that crazy?"

Joel Corry "No its not crazy because its happened before", Alex's contract does say at the end of his signing bonus addendum the club in its sole discretion shall be entitled to purchase an insurance policy naming the club as beneficiary to insure $12M of the signing bonus in the event he can't perform services because of an NFL related or non football related injury"

I kind of get where you're coming from because he kind of stumbles on his words when he says the bold part above so I went back and listened to it several times.

All Corry does is discuss contracts and he knows Alex was hurt on the field so to say "yes" we can recoup some cap while also knowing Alex was hurt on the field wouldn't make sense if the insurance was only good for non-football related injuries.

It's not like its a game changer anyway but $12 could get us a very good field player or a backup to come in and complete with Colt next season.

2 hours ago, hawgboy said:

Draft 2 QBs... but not in the 1st 2 rounds.

Get mid range guys... Throw 1 in right away to the wolves and develop the one who stands out more at camp. We’re screwed the next season or so anyway.

2 seasons later either start the one you developed or gamble and go with whoever is the best available option in that years draft.

I suggest Brett Rypien as one for next year. He’s pretty much Rex Grossman in that he can wow you and enrage you in the same quarter.

Yes, I’ve been drinking.

I like your plan.

Scot, that you?

I like the occasional beer.

This latest drama could be something, but it might be nothing. A lot of surgeries have infection issues. Whoever leaked this is a piece of ****. His ongoing status should never have been out there with this type of injury. These things take time and the fact that someone wanted to bolster their own career by leaking info on Smith’s recovery and status is just cheap. That the team has to ask for privacy for Alex and the family is just ridiculous. Of course they should have privacy. No one is seeking out quotes on Guice or any other injured reserve players. These guys get to rehab in peace. So should Alex. Its a shame this ever came out.

I believe it's a cap conspiracy between Smeagol from the Meadowlands and BA. :silly:

3 hours ago, Birdlives said:

This latest drama could be something, but it might be nothing. A lot of surgeries have infection issues. Whoever leaked this is a piece of ****. His ongoing status should never have been out there with this type of injury. These things take time and the fact that someone wanted to bolster their own career by leaking info on Smith’s recovery and status is just cheap. That the team has to ask for privacy for Alex and the family is just ridiculous. Of course they should have privacy. No one is seeking out quotes on Guice or any other injured reserve players. These guys get to rehab in peace. So should Alex. Its a shame this ever came out.

I believe we can kiss goodbye doctor patient confidentiality, this is sad. Wish Alex a total and full recovery.

Is it speculation that a health professional tattled?  Maybe I missed the official hippa violation confirmed leak story.

If the media were texting Alex as they had been doing all year, and he at one point early on mentioned an infection, there is the story. The common complication points to infection, regardless. The infection worsens, and the situation quickly becomes more dangerous, and the team tells everyone to back off.  IIRC he was telling the media he would be back, so the comm lines were open. 

A popular player with a broken leg stuck in the hospital for a long time - that is not easy to hide for any team, let alone our lame duck PR department. Without complications a broken leg is out the door in... lets just say days. Balloons tied to his mailbox, deflated and on the ground. The huge GET WELL sign, sits idle. Yes thousands of fans friends and neighbors are waiting for an update on his condition. 

A news leak is not the story here.  It's Alex's health. Hopefully they can zap his ****ing bacteria infection proper and quickly and get him back on his feet pronto. 

The story originally broke by EB of The Sports Junkies, and he was speaking on behalf of 'what he was hearing'  I HIGHLY doubt 'what he was hearing' was coming from a medical professional.  I'd venture to say that he was getting his information from someone in Ashburn, or second hand from someone who got it from their own source at Redskins park.  For all we know, someone from the training staff was sitting at a bar and they were prompted if they had any updates, and they went on to say how it wasn't looking good.  

I will be very surprised if it comes out that the news leak was from a DR or anyone on staff at the hospital.  

Is there anything preventing us from a new more cap friendly deal? An extension signing/extending  Alex to a 5 year fully guaranteed contract? $71 mill over a 5 year contract might much more palatable, especially with a rising cap. Alex would still get his money with a corresponding team friendly cap hit.

20 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Is there anything preventing us from a new more cap friendly deal? An extension signing/extending  Alex to a 5 year fully guaranteed contract? $71 mill over a 5 year contract might much more palatable, especially with a rising cap. Alex would still get his money with a corresponding team friendly cap hit.

That’s still $14,200,000 tied up into him every year.

48 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

His current deal is actually team friendly for rhe dollar amount.

The problem is that if the player is not on the team, either due to injury or performance, there’s no such thing as a team friendly deal.

28 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

That’s still $14,200,000 tied up into him every year.

And do you really want 14.2 mil tied up for 5 years to a QB who would be 41 at the end of the deal?  Regardless of injury status, that’s just not so good. 

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I'd venture to say that he was getting his information from someone in Ashburn, or second hand from someone who got it from their own source at Redskins park.  

I was thinking it might be Brian Lafemina since the two of them have become buddies.

2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

If it's me... this is gonna sound really stupid or crazy but the only way we can get any better is to re-work the deal to wrap as much 2020's money into 2019.  He's due $31 Mil over the next 2 in addition to the signing bonus money so... i'd wrap $30 mil of that cap hit into next season.  Releasing Norman and the rising cap would open up basically the difference.  Take it on the chin for 1 season and be manageable for the remainder of his contract as he's still going to count for the singing bonus.  Doing that would put his number at just over $10 mil for 2020, then $5.4 mil for the remaining years on the deal.  

5 hours ago, bowhunter said:

I was thinking something along these lines as well. The Nats did a deal with Scherzer that pays him for many years after he is expected to retire. I wonder if Smith wouldnt be willing to rework his contract to a ten year deal fully guaranteed? He still gets his money after retiring and it might actually benefit him on the tax side. 

Speaking of retirement. The infection is definitely not good news. That was the doctors biggest concern when I broke mine. I have been saying in threads over the past couple of weeks that Smith would be back and starting for us next season. Just based on what I went through. But the infection changes everything. If they are debriding dead flesh from his leg he will never be the same again. They are literally cutting muscle out of him.  And he runs a REAL risk of losing the leg altogether. Scary time for him and his family. And obviously football means nothing to him right now. My prayers go out to him and his family.

Archived