Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Lead NFC East

Burgold

7 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The organization pushed onto us how great a leader and a winner Alex Smith is. Then this is his spot to step up, no?

TB is awful on defense. It’ll be a neutral site game. 

Time for him to be the #winner we were promised 

Atlanta was supposed to be awful on defense too, and our offense was still completely anemic outside of a few big plays and managed a whopping 14 points. 

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Even though the sky is falling around here if you would have told me we would be in first place with a 5-3 record at this point in the season i would have never believed it. If by some miracle Alex Smith can get his **** together and stop playing what appears to be scared i think we can make some noise in December.

Going to be tough to play less scared behind the OL which we'll be sporting.

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Atlanta was supposed to be awful on defense too, and our offense was still completely anemic outside of a few big plays and managed a whopping 14 points. 

Penalties and drops killed our first few drives. Injuries killed our game. 14 points won't win many games, but the defense was the problem. I love how everyone points to the offense being the problem, completely ignoring the atrocious play by our defense. They allowed 100% 3rd down conversion rate and allowed the Falcons to eat up the ToP in the first half. They then allowed the Falcons to come out of half and eat up another chunk of the clock and score a TD. 

I mentioned it in the post-game thread, I would ask that everyone who's overly-critical of the offense go back and re-watch the game. This one is on the defense.

34 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Going to be tough to play less scared behind the OL which we'll be sporting.

Penalties and drops killed our first few drives. Injuries killed our game. 14 points won't win many games, but the defense was the problem. I love how everyone points to the offense being the problem, completely ignoring the atrocious play by our defense. They allowed 100% 3rd down conversion rate and allowed the Falcons to eat up the ToP in the first half. They then allowed the Falcons to come out of half and eat up another chunk of the clock and score a TD. 

I mentioned it in the post-game thread, I would ask that everyone who's overly-critical of the offense go back and re-watch the game. This one is on the defense.

The defense certainly didn't have their best game...but don't forget we were only down 28-14 at the end of the third, and had the ball.  Had Smith not made the idiotic move on 3rd & 3 to run out of bounds for a 4 yard loss (instead of throwing it away), we had a good chance of scoring on that drive, where we were near midfield.  Instead we punt on 4th & 7, and the Falcons march downfield for a FG (aided by the boneheaded Norman PI on Jones), which everyone knew put the game out reach.  A score there would've pulled the game within a possession, and would've changed the dynamics of the 4th quarter.  

We aren't going to hold every offense we face to under 20 points per game.  But right now, our offense is averaging exactly 20 per game.  It isn't sustainable, especially when you're facing multifaceted offenses.  

36 minutes ago, megared said:

The defense certainly didn't have their best game...but don't forget we were only down 28-14 at the end of the third, and had the ball.  Had Smith not made the idiotic move on 3rd & 3 to run out of bounds for a 4 yard loss (instead of throwing it away), we had a good chance of scoring on that drive, where we were near midfield.  Instead we punt on 4th & 7, and the Falcons march downfield for a FG (aided by the boneheaded Norman PI on Jones), which everyone knew put the game out reach.  A score there would've pulled the game within a possession, and would've changed the dynamics of the 4th quarter.  

We aren't going to hold every offense we face to under 20 points per game.  But right now, our offense is averaging exactly 20 per game.  It isn't sustainable, especially when you're facing multifaceted offenses.  

Agreed. And the same can be said for the other side of the coin, giving up 35 points per game isn't sustainable... unless you're the Chiefs or Saints. We don't have a potent offense, and given our recent string of injuries on the OL and WR, I don't imagine that this will change for the better. We will win with our defense. We've invested a lot of resources in them and they are almost 100% healthy, they need to play much better. 

4 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Agreed. And the same can be said for the other side of the coin, giving up 35 points per game isn't sustainable... unless you're the Chiefs or Saints. We don't have a potent offense, and given our recent string of injuries on the OL and WR, I don't imagine that this will change for the better. We will win with our defense. We've invested a lot of resources in them and they are almost 100% healthy, they need to play much better. 

We aren't giving up 35 points a game. If we did, we'd be 0-8

We are giving up 21.5 points a game, which IS sustainable, if we had a offense that was not 25th in scoring.

Listen, the defense didn't play well against Atlanta, but many of us saw it coming. We saw the holes of what a good QB could do to the secondary.

And now, a bad offense is likely going to get significantly worse with all the OL injuries, and the one guy with speed out for the year.

Defensively, the 85' Bears would have a tough time carrying this team. And we are not the 85' Bears defense.

20 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

We are giving up 21.5 points a game, which IS sustainable, if we had a offense that was not 25th in scoring.

Listen, the defense didn't play well against Atlanta, but many of us saw it coming. We saw the holes of what a good QB could do to the secondary.

And now, a bad offense is likely going to get significantly worse with all the OL injuries, and the one guy with speed out for the year.

Defensively, the 85' Bears would have a tough time carrying this team. And we are not the 85' Bears defense.

Yeah, I think many of us were pretty aware of the fact that our secondary was a bit suspect so them getting lit up was disappointing but not necessarily an enormous surprise. The biggest deal for me was how well they ran the ball against us and some of the holes they opened up. 154 yards rushing. That was shocking and is incredibly worrying. 

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

This is a very educated fanbase, we all knew that our success had come against predominantly run-first/bad QB teams. And, good QBs chewed us up and spit us out. The Falcons fit this mold and did to us what we all hoped to avoid.

We've invested heavily, recently, in the D, so they need to be the ones to carry the team. Giving up long scoring drive after long scoring drive is something that we'll never overcome. 

We don't have a great offense, but this game could have been different had it not been for the penalty and drops on the first few drives. We're all very aware that we don't have the studs on offense to come back from a large deficit, or much adversity at all for that matter. Especially now, given the recent injuries. 

I think that we're saying the same thing?

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yes.....i need to clean myself off just thinking about rooting for that...gross!!!!!  

Maybe a tie? That would be better. That way nobody wins :) 

I know what you mean. That's why instead of saying "I hope Dallas wins" I resorted to saying I hope the other team,(in this case Philly)  loses

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Don't we need the cowpukes to beat philthy Sunday?

I don't go into root for/against certain teams until the math needs us to. Right now we're in 1st. Long as we keep winning, it doesn't matter.

Like I say every year: just win and everything else will fall into place.

1 hour ago, randyjohnson said:

I just wonder alot about the lack of consistency with this team. One week you watch an say wow okay offensive isn't pretty but defense is solid. Then the next week it's like dam what team is this!

Well it's the Washington Redskins of course!!

19 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't go into root for/against certain teams until the math needs us to. Right now we're in 1st. Long as we keep winning, it doesn't matter.

Well, the Redskins are going to do the opposite.  They are going to lose, lose, lose, lose. It's the Redskins way.  The collaspe is on.

22 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah, if Dallas just HAPPENS to win, no big deal. We'll take the 2 games ahead of both of them if we win.

13 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Damn. Good stuff all around. Thanks to so many of you. There are still really excellent football discussions to be had on ES.

You get random nostalgic twinges of sentiment when you achieve ancientness.

Hey, welcome back. Nice to see they got internet in the home. :D

48 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Week 10 is way too soon to care about how a 4-4 team does against a 3-5 team.  We need to take care of our own business.

I agree that the Skins need to take care of their own business and let the chips fall where they may.

That said, I do see Philly as a bigger threat than Dallas. We still have two games left against the Eagles, and, truth me told, I'm less confident of our chances in either game versus the Eagles than I am of our chances against Dallas on Thanksgiving. 

Archived